PDA

View Full Version : Glock 27

Bulldog7972
02-17-10, 11:47
I've been reading on different sites about Glock having troubles with the 22 and 23 but I have yet to hear anything negative about the 27. Does anyone have any info regarding the 27 kabooms? I'm thinking of going to the dark side and buying a Glock. If I do, the 27 would probably be my first one.

sgalbra76
02-17-10, 11:55
I've been reading on different sites about Glock having troubles with the 22 and 23 but I have yet to hear anything negative about the 27. Does anyone have any info regarding the 27 kabooms? I'm thinking of going to the dark side and buying a Glock. If I do, the 27 would probably be my first one.

The kaboom issue doesn't happen very often and it is often related to reloaded ammunition. Don't even be concerned about a KB with American made factory ammo. .40caliber Glocks generally have problems with their slide cycle speed. Usually the pistol will work fine up until the recoil spring and magazine springs start to get broken in and get weaker. When that happens, the slide cycles faster, and the magazine feeds cartridges slower. When this timing is off, you start to encounter more and more malfunctions. Other issues with .40 Glocks is that rail attachements such as lights can interupt the slide cycle also leading to malfunctions. This goes for all .40 Glocks.

That being said, you may or may not have these problems. If you really want the .40 Glock, get it and just be sure to have your springs replaced on the Glock schedule. The 9mm Glocks are less maintenance intensive and will generally last longer without as many problems.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
02-17-10, 15:00
Ive had a 27 for about five years and was my main carry gun. Awesome gun, you wont be dissapointed. Id still have it if I hadnt just went all 9mm Glock. Use good ammo and shoot the hell out of it with out worry. :D

Chameleox
02-17-10, 18:02
Other issues with .40 Glocks is that rail attachements such as lights can interupt the slide cycle also leading to malfunctions. This goes for all .40 Glocks.

Except for the 27, which has no rail. Otherwise, what he said.
I also find that my G27 is much snappier than my G22. Both use 180 grain ammo.

skyugo
02-17-10, 20:58
The kaboom issue doesn't happen very often and it is often related to reloaded ammunition. Don't even be concerned about a KB with American made factory ammo. .40caliber Glocks generally have problems with their slide cycle speed. Usually the pistol will work fine up until the recoil spring and magazine springs start to get broken in and get weaker. When that happens, the slide cycles faster, and the magazine feeds cartridges slower. When this timing is off, you start to encounter more and more malfunctions. Other issues with .40 Glocks is that rail attachements such as lights can interupt the slide cycle also leading to malfunctions. This goes for all .40 Glocks.

That being said, you may or may not have these problems. If you really want the .40 Glock, get it and just be sure to have your springs replaced on the Glock schedule. The 9mm Glocks are less maintenance intensive and will generally last longer without as many problems.

hmm maybe the 27 has less problems because the 2 stage recoil spring lasts longer. just a thought...

sgalbra76
02-17-10, 21:11
hmm maybe the 27 has less problems because the 2 stage recoil spring lasts longer. just a thought...

Possibly.....

The .40S&W needs a heavier slide to help absorb more of the recoil forces and slow down the slide cycle. Most of the time, this requires the manufacturer to increase the external dimensions of the 9mm slide in order to achieve this. An example would be the increase in slide size from the Sig P228 to the P229. Gaston kept the external dimensions of the 9mm Glocks, and only altered the interior specs to convert it to a .40S&W. There is a slight increase in slide mass from the 9mm to the .40, but it doesn't appear that there was enough to keep the slide cycle slower. As you reduce the slide mass even more by going from the G22, to the G23, and down to the G27 the pistol is more and more dependent on the strength of the recoil spring and magazine spring to keep reliable function.

I'm not a Glock armorer, nor do I used them any more.......so take my information for what it's worth.....

awm14hp
02-19-10, 10:05
I have all three of the 40 cal Glocks I love them but find myself carrying my 9mm for the last 5 years or so cause of training ammo costs never had an issue with any of my glocks I just swap out the recoil assembly more on the 40 cals than the 9mm's.

TxSoldier
02-19-10, 19:50
Carried the 27 as an off duty gun for awhile. Loved it, they still are a decent size gun though in my opinion, so if you are looking for something small this may not be what you think of as "small" possibly.

I have a G22 as a duty weapon as well, and I've fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds in my short time as an officer with it and a TLR-1 and never had any of the malfunctions that are known to occur with it. Dunno if I'm lucky or if it's just not a widespread issue.

skyugo
02-19-10, 21:28
Carried the 27 as an off duty gun for awhile. Loved it, they still are a decent size gun though in my opinion, so if you are looking for something small this may not be what you think of as "small" possibly.

I have a G22 as a duty weapon as well, and I've fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds in my short time as an officer with it and a TLR-1 and never had any of the malfunctions that are known to occur with it. Dunno if I'm lucky or if it's just not a widespread issue.

i carry a 26 in a smart carry for deep concealment, or IWB with a t-shirt in the summer. yeah, it's still a pretty good sized gun, compared to a kel tec or something. but it's VERY concealable. a lot of people will say it's no more conealable than a G19, but i disagree, the grip is nearly an inch shorter. that's that inch that pokes out when you bend certain ways, the G26/27 doesn't have that inch.
it's also a very easy gun to shoot, very accurate, and the recoil is not at all unpleasant (cant speak for the 27, i've never fired one)

skyugo
02-19-10, 21:31
Possibly.....

The .40S&W needs a heavier slide to help absorb more of the recoil forces and slow down the slide cycle. Most of the time, this requires the manufacturer to increase the external dimensions of the 9mm slide in order to achieve this. An example would be the increase in slide size from the Sig P228 to the P229. Gaston kept the external dimensions of the 9mm Glocks, and only altered the interior specs to convert it to a .40S&W. There is a slight increase in slide mass from the 9mm to the .40, but it doesn't appear that there was enough to keep the slide cycle slower. As you reduce the slide mass even more by going from the G22, to the G23, and down to the G27 the pistol is more and more dependent on the strength of the recoil spring and magazine spring to keep reliable function.

I'm not a Glock armorer, nor do I used them any more.......so take my information for what it's worth.....

yeah.. they didn't add much mass with the G23/22 either right? all i can think is that the funky recoil spring makes the difference. i have noticed my G26 does not like the softer reloads that my G19 has no issue with.
my other theory behind the G27's lack of internet rep for malfunction is that people simply don't shoot them as much, so they're less likely to have worn out springs/mags. not to mention there's no light rail....
also i believe they stuff a G23 mag spring in the G27 mag. so the rounds pop up with a little more force.
anywho, that's all the speculating i can muster right now. :confused:

Bulldog7972
02-20-10, 09:09
Thanks guys for your input.

tpd223
02-20-10, 21:04
When we had all of our issues with the G22s I noted that the G27s still worked fine.

I used to own two, never had a stoppage with either, and I've never seen a stoppage with a G27.

The frame change on the 22 and 23 in 2005/2006 led to issues with the flex and how fast the slide cycled, those problems never occurred with the 27 because, IMHO, the dynamics of the frame and dustcover were pretty much the same due to being so short and stiff to begin with.

The double nested recoil spring assembly works in these guns, and seems to be working out in the gen 4 guns.

If you want a G27 I'd buy one without worrying about reliability.

NWPilgrim
02-21-10, 03:30
I have a G22 and two G23s and after thousands of rounds (mostly reloads) through them I have had no malfunctions of any kind. About half through factory barrels and half through after markt bbls, and about 1/8 is factory ammo and the rest are lead reloads.

There are really just a few kabooms that get recycled endlessly on the internet. The one site that has a small collection of kabooms "documented" has little information as to all factors, and most that have background info indicate they were caused by bullet setback from multiple loadings.

If you are concerned about kabooms just get a 9mm. Quality ammo in either gets the job done. I enjoy shooting .40 in the G22 and G23.

tpd223
02-21-10, 04:45
The KaBoom thing I don't know so much about, but the malfunction issues with the G22 are FAR from rare.

Glock didn't develop the gen 4 guns for no good reason.

NWPilgrim
02-21-10, 16:12
I can only speak from my experience with a Gen 2 G22 and two Gen 3 G23. No problems with either factory bbls, aftermarket same caliber or 9mm conversion bbls. Everything stock, no customizing.

I have seen a G19 9mm choke but that was due to old mags with weak springs (old NFML pre-2002 mags).

Again, if you want a G27 then get it, there are tens of thousands of satisfied users. If you have some doubts then get a G26. You will be happy either way.

JHC
02-21-10, 16:43
Ive had a 27 for about five years and was my main carry gun. Awesome gun, you wont be dissapointed. Id still have it if I hadnt just went all 9mm Glock. Use good ammo and shoot the hell out of it with out worry. :D

Almost the identical experience and switch in my case. Mine was superb reliability wise and accuracy. But my daily CCW went from G27 to G19 and no regrets there. There a lot of them around and I can't recall hearing of many or any problems about them. And I was searching for such reports because of all the G22 reports.

Dan Goodwin
02-22-10, 06:26
Have been carrying G27s (personal and issued) since they came out summer '95 on an almost daily basis. Sometimes carry other pistols OD.

They work just fine and the only problems I've had were ammo related in nearly 15 years.

If I get another Glock it will be a G26 for less expensive ammo. That is what I recommend to our younger officers looking for a BUG, now that our dept. ammo budget has gotten tighter.

NWPilgrim
02-22-10, 13:05
Almost the identical experience and switch in my case. Mine was superb reliability wise and accuracy. But my daily CCW went from G27 to G19 and no regrets there. There a lot of them around and I can't recall hearing of many or any problems about them. And I was searching for such reports because of all the G22 reports.

I am curious, why did you get rid of a G27 just to get a G26? Why not keep the G27 and get a 9mm conv bbl and 9mm ejector and extractor? That way for a little of $100 you could have either a .40 or a 9mm whenever you wanted? I would think you would lose $100 in selling the G27 and buying a G26 anyway.

automan
02-22-10, 13:46
Bought a G27 last year. Shot 165 & 180 HPs through it, Winchester Ranger and Golden Saber, no problems, in addition to different ball ammo.