PDA

View Full Version : New Troy Grip, Triggerguard, and Ambi Mag Release

EzGoingKev
02-17-10, 14:31
I just saw this (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/02/17/troy-gets-a-grip/) release.

The trigger guard looks interesting, kind of POF style.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/S3xP2oediiI/AAAAAAAACIs/FmqVpiY6g8g/s800/stck0229-800-mt.jpg

The grip looks nice, but I use a MIAD with the thickest back strap installed so I don't how it would work out.

glockshooter
02-17-10, 14:54
The trigger is okay, but that grip is horrible. I don't know why Troy would make an AK style grip for an AR. Troy is one of my favorite companies but I have to say I am unimpressed.

Matt

trukreltrog
02-17-10, 15:31
I'll stick with my Magpul stuff. That trigger guard is ugly IMO.

ballistic
02-17-10, 15:51
I'll reserve judgement until I can get my hands around one. It's an improvement over the A2 for those who despise the finger groove. It might appeal to those with smaller hands.

Stickman
02-17-10, 16:05
Once I get one in hand, I'll be able to do an actual review on it. Its certainly got the look of an AK grip, and in hand, it does seem to have a slightly different grip angle.

EzGoingKev
02-17-10, 16:08
It looks like they are also going to be selling a LH mag release.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/S3xmWGtJdwI/AAAAAAAACIw/qzR03CSKTvI/s800/SREL-AMB-00BT-00-2.jpg

I know some people were having issues with LH mag releases not clearing the BAD device. While this one looks a little funky it looks like it might clear.

Their site says coming soon and that pic looks more like a computer generated drawing than a real part.

sgalbra76
02-17-10, 17:03
Looks like a cold weather friendly setup. The Soviets used the small grip on the AK to allow for easier use of the rifle during cold winter conditions with bulky mits and gloves. Looks like the Troy trigger guard will allow for better glove use, without having the glove slide under the trigger and get hung up.

It doesn't look pretty, but for cold weather applications it looks like it serves a purpose.

Killjoy
02-17-10, 17:59
I've handled the prototype grip as well and I was quite impressed, and it does handle pretty well with gloves. I also tried out the prototype ambi magazine release, and was also impressed with its simplicity and ease of operation, BTW the gun I tried it out on also had an ambi safety that was exceptionally well designed, with a shape that kept the opposite side from rubbing against your trigger finger when it was indexed along side the receiver.

As a trainer, while there are tricks to keep a lefty running and gunning with the AR, there's no doubt that the AR is a righty-designed weapon. Righties simply run the rifle more efficiently than lefties when it comes to magazine changes and taking off and putting on the safety. I will be recommending that my department buy and install the ambi magazine release and ambi safety. The grip was good as well and I definitely see utility for the police, as many officers wear gloves on patrol.

AnimalMother556
02-17-10, 19:30
I always preferred a smaller grip. I run MIAD's on the smallest setting, love the TangoDown and have little or no problem with A1 or A2 grips. I have also found that after spending mucho dinero on the latest grips, stocks, etc. that my money was better spent on mags and ammo. However you may look at it, Troy's hitting the market hard this year and that gives us all more options. Definitely want to try the Troy mags when they come out.

SykoFreak
02-17-10, 19:55
I know some people were having issues with LH mag releases not clearing the BAD device. While this one looks a little funky it looks like it might clear.

The Norgon looks like it clears fine.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2615/3844968193_d3574ea2d1_o.jpg

sadmin
02-17-10, 20:00
i think i will try out the stock on some sort of quasi-survival / hunting AR. I like the massive storage compartment for fire kit, fishing kit, spare bolt, and a Subway Meatball Sub. ;)

eternal24k
02-17-10, 21:48
I have an order for a selector, but the grip looks like it wont be very grippy and too thin.

Skang
02-17-10, 22:29
i just hate the stock AR grips with finger groove.

even i have small hand, it hurts my hand when i hold it. lol

steeltoe
02-17-10, 22:55
I'm waiting on their ambi charging handle and the mag release. Mainly the charging handle. It was still a ways out when I asked them.

jp0319
02-18-10, 01:29
I dont like the "looks" of the grip, as others have said too AK ish, plus the MAID works better at facilitating a good grip with my long fingers. The trigger guard well I dont see the point, there are so many of them on the market already.

chadbag
02-18-10, 01:53
hmmm, will have to try this out. I am interested in why they left the front smooth (at least from the pics). In handling an AR, I would think the front and back are more important to have a texture to than the sides.

DWood
02-18-10, 08:48
I'd like to know more about the ambi-safety if someone who has handled it can post an opinion without the BS. Is the safety selector available yet?

DWood
02-20-10, 14:42
I'd like to know more about the ambi-safety if someone who has handled it can post an opinion without the BS. Is the safety selector available yet?

No opinions on the safety selector?

m4fun
02-20-10, 20:51
Wow - I am in the minority - I always liked the bump of the A2 grip (little hands, dont like the stock AK grip either)- I thought it was an enhancement over the A1. That said I like the MIAD with the trigger guard/bump. Not looking astounding to me.

FVC3
02-21-10, 07:00
Looks like a cold weather friendly setup. The Soviets used the small grip on the AK to allow for easier use of the rifle during cold winter conditions with bulky mits and gloves. Looks like the Troy trigger guard will allow for better glove use, without having the glove slide under the trigger and get hung up.

It doesn't look pretty, but for cold weather applications it looks like it serves a purpose.

My thoughts exactly! 'Splains the shape of the triggerguard beneath / behind the trigger. Great minds and all that...:p

Quiet-Matt
02-21-10, 07:50
That may be the perfect grip for some folks, especially the AK crowd like my father-in-law. He doesn't care for my MagPul grips. Yay for options!
On a side note, is the selector in the OPs photo polymer?

Razorhunter
02-21-10, 10:26
I just saw this (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/02/17/troy-gets-a-grip/) release.

The trigger guard looks interesting, kind of POF style.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/S3xP2oediiI/AAAAAAAACIs/FmqVpiY6g8g/s800/stck0229-800-mt.jpg

The grip looks nice, but I use a MIAD with the thickest back strap installed so I don't how it would work out.

Hey Stickman, or EzGoingKev? (or whomever knows),

What's the story on the selector lever in this pic? I have never seen one like that before. Details?

On a seperate note, in regards to the new grip above, I like the looks of it. It instantly reminds me of the KAC PDW grip, which I'd absolutely love to own...

eternal24k
02-21-10, 14:49
Hey Stickman, or EzGoingKev? (or whomever knows),

What's the story on the selector lever in this pic? I have never seen one like that before. Details?

On a seperate note, in regards to the new grip above, I like the looks of it. It instantly reminds me of the KAC PDW grip, which I'd absolutely love to own...

it's the new Troy ambi selector

Jay Cunningham
02-21-10, 21:05
I just cleaned this thread up. Any more personal attacks or pointless bickering and I'm locking accounts.

DWood
02-21-10, 21:37
I just cleaned this thread up. Any more personal attacks or pointless bickering and I'm locking accounts.

Thanks Katar.

Still looking for input on the ambi-safety. Anyone?

PdxMotoxer
03-15-10, 00:57
Dang.. i was about to pull the pin on one of those Norgon ambi-mag releases

But now I'm kinda looking at the whole package from Troy.

Ambidextrous selector - (with no screws or threading to come loose or strip; utilizes stainless steel detent plungers to lock levers into place.)

Ambidextrous Magazine Release - (with the looks of the button going down and out
it looks to me they kept in mine that a lot of us want to run this with a B.A.D. lever)

And
Ambidextrous Charging Handle.

All still say COMING SOON, I wonder how far out these are??

Lee Indy
03-15-10, 01:04
i emailed them and they said this month and they were on schedule.

Lee Indy
03-17-10, 12:19
looks like it got pushed. first week of april for the selector

billdoodoo
10-16-10, 12:27
Did anybody get a hold of the ambi mag release? I'm undecided on getting this or the Norgon. I know the Norgon has been tried and tested but if the Troy unit works as well, it won't be bad to save $30

seb5
10-17-10, 16:34
Did anybody get a hold of the ambi mag release? I'm undecided on getting this or the Norgon. I know the Norgon has been tried and tested but if the Troy unit works as well, it won't be bad to save $30

The Troy unit works much better then the Norgon. I had 4 Norgons for the last 3-4 years. As a lefty I tried to get used to them but never could. My fingers aren't the longest and that didn't help any. The Norgon is a great low profile alternative but is small, thus hard to hit while in a hurry. The geometry is also difficult for me. If I did everything right I could perform a mag change faster than using the standard release with my right thumb, stowing the mag and then inserting another with the same right hand. If I was a little bit off my mag change became much longer to perform. As much as I tried I couldn't get comfortable with them and overrule 20 years of weapons manipulations with the AR series. I sold the norgons this last weekend to a gun show dealer for $45.00 each.

When the 3 new Troys came in I changed them out of my rifles. I already had one and have been waiting on the others to get uniform. I've been working hard to try to become proficient with this new system. I put one on my department issued M-4 and if I deploy again I will also take one so I have no reason to hold onto to my old ways. The size works and is usable. The geometry also works well, being much more positive in using it than the Norgons. In the past I have tried KAC, Power Custom and Norgon. For a left handed person the Troy is way above the others. Is is the closest mag release we will probably have to a true ambi system like the Knights SR-15 or Sig. I like them enough that I spent $260.00 on them and waited 4 months to get them all.

billdoodoo
10-17-10, 17:21
The Troy unit works much better then the Norgon. I had 4 Norgons for the last 3-4 years. As a lefty I tried to get used to them but never could. My fingers aren't the longest and that didn't help any. The Norgon is a great low profile alternative but is small, thus hard to hit while in a hurry. The geometry is also difficult for me. If I did everything right I could perform a mag change faster than using the standard release with my right thumb, stowing the mag and then inserting another with the same right hand. If I was a little bit off my mag change became much longer to perform. As much as I tried I couldn't get comfortable with them and overrule 20 years of weapons manipulations with the AR series. I sold the norgons this last weekend to a gun show dealer for $45.00 each.

When the 3 new Troys came in I changed them out of my rifles. I already had one and have been waiting on the others to get uniform. I've been working hard to try to become proficient with this new system. I put one on my department issued M-4 and if I deploy again I will also take one so I have no reason to hold onto to my old ways. The size works and is usable. The geometry also works well, being much more positive in using it than the Norgons. In the past I have tried KAC, Power Custom and Norgon. For a left handed person the Troy is way above the others. Is is the closest mag release we will probably have to a true ambi system like the Knights SR-15 or Sig. I like them enough that I spent $260.00 on them and waited 4 months to get them all.

Your input is highly appreciated, you just saved me some $. I'm ordering one after reading your post. Hopefully you can post some pics if you have time.