PDA

View Full Version : Gear Sector Hand Stop

M0rtarMan
02-17-10, 16:06
Any feedback on these little gems:
http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/182/reviews/

http://www.gearsector.com/img/product/e4d2aa730899d821e30e503a6e304d58.jpg

Seems kinda pricey for a piece of metal that weighs less than an ounce....
$45.00

Are there other similar hand stops? (besides the horrible Ergo Stop with it's silly mounting screws and flimsy construction)

orionz06
02-17-10, 16:24
there is the more expensive KAC

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/index.php?productID=308

Byron
02-17-10, 16:30
From Stickman:
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/19/shot-2010-gear-sector-launches-new-mounts-and-handstops/

Stickman
02-17-10, 17:08
Any feedback on these little gems:

Seems kinda pricey for a piece of metal that weighs less than an ounce....
$45.00

Are there other similar hand stops? (besides the horrible Ergo Stop with it's silly mounting screws and flimsy construction)

Its not the metal you are paying for, its everything else that goes into its manufacturing.

I did a writeup at Military Times that has more info regarding the Gear Sector lineup, it might have additional info for you, and if nothing else, its got more pictures.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/19/shot-2010-gear-sector-launches-new-mounts-and-handstops/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/gear-sector-mounts/IMGL4367-800-mt.jpg

Stickman
02-17-10, 17:09
From Stickman:

My computer glitched, thanks for posting that. I'm not sure whats going on with my computer over here......

orionz06
02-17-10, 17:12
Its not the metal you are paying for, its everything else that goes into its manufacturing.

Very much so... The work needed to make it correctly has deterred me from having one of my own design made locally.

M0rtarMan
02-17-10, 17:18

I did a writeup at Military Times that has more info regarding the Gear Sector lineup, it might have additional info for you, and if nothing else, its got more pictures.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/gear-sector-mounts/IMGL4367-800-mt.jpg

Stick, what is that thing on the magwell of the rifle in your picture?

orionz06
02-17-10, 17:20
https://www.neverquitgrip.com/Never_Quit_Grip.html

boganz45
02-17-10, 17:23
Stick, what is that thing on the magwell of the rifle in your picture?

Looks like a Never Quit Magwell Grip.

<Too slow on the draw.

M0rtarMan
02-17-10, 17:25
I realize that you are paying for a very meticulously designed and manufactured item, but still $45.00 for this item is excessive. That is just my humble opinion of course, and that is not to say I have not spent more on accessories for my "ladies"

As far as the KAC goes, I believe that you are paying for the name, I still see KAC Vert Grips selling for $90.00 when you can get far better Vert Grips for much less. The sling swivel is nice, albeit not as functional as a dedicated QD Sling mount....

Dos Cylindros
02-17-10, 17:36
I have the Gear Sector light mount, and it's worth every penny in my opinion. By far the best G2 light mount on the market for my needs. Much more streamlined than the Viking tactics mount.

Stickman
02-17-10, 17:36
I realize that you are paying for a very meticulously designed and manufactured item, but still $45.00 for this item is excessive. That is just my humble opinion of course, and that is not to say I have not spent more on accessories for my "ladies"

Have you ever figured pricing for manufacturing an item, to include packaging, CNC machine time, CNC maintenance, material cost (raw material, delivery, waste), shipping and other expenses? Now add in a dealer network, and pesky employees that want to get paid for working and you can start to see where its not a matter of what one part costs, its an overall picture.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I would encourage you to think about everything else that goes into it. :)

vaglocker
02-17-10, 18:51
I think I've got another use for that thing let me know if you think it would work. I run a fixed gas block sight tower and occasionaly burn the shit out of my hand if I grab the rifle too far out and wrap my thumb over the top. I'm thinking if i run one of those things at 12 o'oclock directly behind the front sight it would guard against me getting burned.

JTrusty
02-17-10, 19:16
I think I've got another use for that thing let me know if you think it would work. I run a fixed gas block sight tower and occasionaly burn the shit out of my hand if I grab the rifle too far out and wrap my thumb over the top. I'm thinking if i run one of those things at 12 o'oclock directly behind the front sight it would guard against me getting burned.

Or, you could run it at 9 o'clock ( for rightys ) as it was contoured to fit the webbing of your hand between your thumb and index finger.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gsr/18.jpg

:)

INTrooper4255
02-17-10, 19:27
I have one on my MRP that I use in conjunction with my Larue FUG. I have the Hand Stop all the way forward on the bottom rail and use it to wrap my index finger around while using the FUG. IT works really well. Also, it is a very well made piece, like all of Gear Sectors stuff!

M0rtarMan
02-17-10, 19:39
Have you ever figured pricing for manufacturing an item, to include packaging, CNC machine time, CNC maintenance, material cost (raw material, delivery, waste), shipping and other expenses? Now add in a dealer network, and pesky employees that want to get paid for working and you can start to see where its not a matter of what one part costs, its an overall picture.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I would encourage you to think about everything else that goes into it. :)

That price was straight from Gear Sector, no dealer involved. Maybe the price will drop eventually. Or my BRD will kick into overdrive and I will simply buy it :)

I guess I am just used to buying a lot of Larue product. They also manufacture some of the finest gear on the planet (I visited their facility in the summer of 08 and met Mark and his crew and got to tour the plant)

Larue product is not just great, it is the best bang for your buck. Take the FUG as an example, $98.00 for the best Vert Grip you can buy, not to mention the fact that you can return or exchange product for any reason at any time, no questions asked, and every order you place you get a box full of good swag.
I would have to say if Larue were to build a product like this, it would be the same price if not cheaper. I guess my brain just finds it difficult to pay $45.00 a 1/2 oz piece of metal, but it has no problem spending $200 for a scope mount. I guess I am simply weird.

JonnyVain
02-17-10, 21:19
The GS handstop is wider than the KAC. In my opinion, it's one of the most bad ass looking accessories for the AR. I came really close to buying it just for the looks (I use a VFG) but decided not to at the last moment. I would say buy it, and post pics :D.

I may end up spending my money on one of their sling attachments instead. I have an MI, but it's pointy and digs into my hand.

Stick, how's that 'never quit grip?'

Or, you could run it at 9 o'clock ( for rightys ) as it was contoured to fit the webbing of your hand between your thumb and index finger.

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/exhibitionist/austin-powers-cocktail-glass-4900072.jpg

steeltoe
02-17-10, 22:48
I'm glad Gear Sector priced it like they did. It helped me decide on Magpul's AFG instead. Seriously I was all over the Gear Sector piece until I saw the price.

Magsz
02-17-10, 23:40
My impressions.

Pros:

1. Its very low profile with just enough of an angle to allow a positive grip, it really DOES stop the hand from moving rearwards or forward depending on what your goal is.
2. There are no sharp angles.
3. Speaking of angles, they're perfect. When paired with a rail cover there is NO seam or gap or any areas that are going to pinch you. The KAC handstop does not work as well with rail covers or ladders due to the front curvature.
4. It weighs nothing.
5. For people that arent interested in the AFG but still shoot with a thumbs forward grip, this little sucker is the ticket and beats out every single VFG on the market. Im really amazed at how something so small can give the shooter such a huge degree of purchase on the rifle.

Cons:

1. The price but comparatively, its cheaper than the KAC and its VERY very well made. I like mine a whole hell of a lot better than the KAC product which i offloaded in less than 750 rounds.

All in all, this is a pretty badass little widget for shooters that run their reaction hands in the manner suited for this type of add on.

Get one, you will love it.

vaglocker
02-18-10, 07:33
I guess these would still conduct heat as much as a bare rail would no? In which case gloves would still be required?

orionz06
02-18-10, 07:35
I guess these would still conduct heat as much as a bare rail would no? In which case gloves would still be required?

It would still conduct heat. Aluminum is great as a heat sink, and in your case you are experiencing this. I would think that a plastic panel such as an XTM panel would suffice as a sacrificial protector, plus its a cheaper attempt than this item is.

tr1kstanc3
02-18-10, 08:02
Cons:

1. The price but comparatively, its cheaper than the KAC and its VERY very well made. I like mine a whole hell of a lot better than the KAC product which i offloaded in less than 750 rounds.

What did you not like about the KAC product?

Magsz
02-18-10, 08:42
What did you not like about the KAC product?

I didnt like the curvature. It was too slick and i wasnt able to get a good enough hold on it. As a handstop, due to the height of it, it was also generally higher than my rail panels. I like how the gear sector product is seamless with most rail panels and very low profile. The angle is perfect which i find to be very funny because when i first saw the product on TOS i emailed Jason and bitched that these little babies needed knurling so we could have a positive grip.

Jason promptly told me i was an idiot and that i didnt know what i was talking about and as it turns out...he was right. :D (this is sarcasm btw!!! Jason is one of the nicest dudes ive ever had the pleasure of dealing with as a consumer)

These handstops worked alot better than i had anticipated. I was absolutely 100% convinced that knurling would be required for a sure grip but boy was i wrong.

Skyyr
02-18-10, 08:59
I've heard "rumors" that these are manufactured by BOBRO engineering and then branded with GEAR-Sector's trademarks. If so, awesome, but what I'd like to know is if there's any truth to this?

JTrusty
02-18-10, 09:57
I've heard "rumors" that these are manufactured by BOBRO engineering and then branded with GEAR-Sector's trademarks. If so, awesome, but what I'd like to know is if there's any truth to this?

Absolutely zero truth to this. Where do people come up with this stuff? :confused:

I have been working on this project for the better part of the past 2 years now. We have already released 8 components in our new low profile line and still have about a dozen more completed and waiting to enter production.

Skyyr
02-18-10, 10:07
Absolutely zero truth to this. Where do people come up with this stuff? :confused:

I have been working on this project for the better part of the past 2 years now. We have already released 8 components in our new low profile line and still have about a dozen more completed and waiting to enter production.

Not sure - heard it second hand and wanted to confirm (had a good hunch I'd be able to hear from you on this).

Thanks! :)

rob_s
02-18-10, 10:12
My impressions.

Pros:

1. Its very low profile with just enough of an angle to allow a positive grip, it really DOES stop the hand from moving rearwards or forward depending on what your goal is.
2. There are no sharp angles.
3. Speaking of angles, they're perfect. When paired with a rail cover there is NO seam or gap or any areas that are going to pinch you. The KAC handstop does not work as well with rail covers or ladders due to the front curvature.
4. It weighs nothing.
5. For people that arent interested in the AFG but still shoot with a thumbs forward grip, this little sucker is the ticket and beats out every single VFG on the market. Im really amazed at how something so small can give the shooter such a huge degree of purchase on the rifle.

Cons:

All in all, this is a pretty badass little widget for shooters that run their reaction hands in the manner suited for this type of add on.

Get one, you will love it.

Remember to show me this at the next drills or match. I want to see one in person.

Stickman
02-18-10, 11:06
Where do people come up with this stuff? :confused:

Its the internet..... :D

Magsz
02-18-10, 11:39
Remember to show me this at the next drills or match. I want to see one in person.

Only if you FINALLY come up with the name that you promised for myself and Matt "the wonder twins". ;)

It better be good!!!

Remind me and ill bring one out.

Even IF these were manufactured by Bobro...who cares? Bobro makes great stuff so we should all HOPE that whoever Jason is using is as good as those gents. Quite frankly i think its a little offensive to grill a retailer/designer as to who they're using to produce their goods.

Stickman
02-18-10, 11:52
Quite frankly i think its a little offensive to grill a retailer/designer as to who they're using to produce their goods.

I don't care if Jason has them whittled out of butter blocks by the Amish, as long as they meet his standard its all good. I'm more interested in the end result.

Skyyr
02-18-10, 12:00
Even IF these were manufactured by Bobro...who cares? Bobro makes great stuff so we should all HOPE that whoever Jason is using is as good as those gents. Quite frankly i think its a little offensive to grill a retailer/designer as to who they're using to produce their goods.

Actually I was more curious than anything. I love Bobro mounts and think they're second to none, so anything they make would be a plus to that brand's reputation in my book. Jason / Gear Sector did Bobro's website and an acquaintance on another forum made the comment that he heard that Bobro was building some of their items, so I didn't think the claim was completely unfounded as some sort of relationship seems to have existed.

No offense meant to Jason or to anyone else. Again, I was curious as to if that was a rumor or just some unwarranted speculation.

I don't care if Jason has them whittled out of butter blocks by the Amish, as long as they meet his standard its all good. I'm more interested in the end result.

+1

tr1kstanc3
02-18-10, 12:04
I didnt like the curvature. It was too slick and i wasnt able to get a good enough hold on it. As a handstop, due to the height of it, it was also generally higher than my rail panels. I like how the gear sector product is seamless with most rail panels and very low profile.

Thanks for the detailed points. Going to place an order. My bank account hates this website.

JonnyVain
02-18-10, 13:57
Thanks for the detailed points. Going to place an order. My bank account hates this website.

Don't kill the messenger ;)

Magsz
02-18-10, 15:45
Don't kill the messenger ;)

Yes...please dont, i was just trying to help!!! :)

cop1211
02-18-10, 15:57
I just got the light mount and its sweet, probable will be buying two more.

I have the afg on two rifles a 16 and a 10.5. Love it on the 16, but not so much on the 10.5. I'll be getting the handstop for the 10.5.

Gear Sector makes great products.

M0rtarMan
02-18-10, 16:29
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/DSC_1335.jpg

I am looking for a good stop as a replacement for my FUG on my Diablo, I bought one of these Ergo pieces of garbage: (BTW I took the MBUS off the Diablo and replaced it with a Troy)

http://www.ergogrips.net/images/surestop.gif

Here is a tip, do not buy this stop.

(These are both Registered SBRs BTW)

newyork
02-18-10, 20:08
Can anyone confirm either way if the GS Handstop gets very hot? I'd like to try one on a carbine of mine. Where does one purchase one?

Magsz
02-18-10, 21:19
New York.

Does your rail get hot?

If it doesnt then no, the hand stop shouldnt heat up anymore than your rail. Unless you're rocking a really intense firing schedule i wouldnt worry about heat transfer.

newyork
02-18-10, 21:47
Thanks Magsz, looks like I'm ordering one.

Magsz
02-18-10, 21:50
In addition to what i just said. Rails really only tend to heat up more towards the chamber area.

If you're pushing this handstop forward on the rail very little heat is generated in that area so again, you should be fine.

Aggie510
02-18-10, 22:29

Isn't one of the advantages of an aluminum rail is the fact that it acts like a heatsink for the chamber?

Magsz
02-19-10, 01:11
Yes, it certainly does.

But unless you're rocking a 7 inch rail, 9,10 or 11 inches out on that rail you're not going to be feeling all that much heat besides what is radiating off of the barrel itself.

GreyOps
02-25-10, 20:37
I got hand-stop and offset light mount the other day and started experimenting with my set-up. I found one that works well for me (see pic), is comfortable, allows me to both pull the rifle in tight and drive the gun laterally, and gives me something to leverage on when operating the tailcap on my light.

m4fun
02-25-10, 20:52
I really like the look of this one. I have been doing the LT FUG or TD shorty vert grip.

The Ergo looks scary. Maybe for breaching fences with your rifle.

be1498
11-10-10, 11:11
I recently purchased a handstop and a G2 mount from Jason. I have to say they’re beautiful; you can tell that quite a bit of effort, engineering, and R & D hours went into these. Yes, they’re a little pricey (for all the reasons Stick posted above), but the quality is evident and to me worth every dime.

They’re contoured perfectly, and the handstop I have mounted at 9 o’clock helps me drive the rifle well, but I think I’m going to have to get another to mount at 6 o’clock to ensure my support hand “locks in.” The surface is very non-slip without any knurling that might shred a glove.

I ordered the wrong light mount…I needed a G2 mount, not the P6 mount I ordered from the site. I sent an immediate email requesting that my order be changed to the mount I really needed, and Jason had my order with the correct items on the way to me in record time just minutes after that. Communication from Jason at every step of the process not only kept me well informed, but demonstrated world-class customer service. I even received a follow-up email from Jason after my items arrived.

I recommend Gear Sector to anyone who’ll listen, not only for the excellent products, but also for my stellar experience as a customer. Thanks, Jason!

PatrioticDisorder
07-08-13, 09:52

Am I looking at this correctly, the handstop at 9 o'clock is attached directly over the rail cover?