PDA

View Full Version : Monolith-type uppers

Federale
04-09-07, 19:25
First time poster (I think), but long time reader.

Tell me about monolith style uppers. I've got a lower that needs an upper and I'm thinking hard about the monolith style. I've come down to the LMT and the VLTOR VIS options, but are there others I should be considering?

I'm thinking of using an 18 inch barrel with a rifle length upper. I have an M4 length rifle and a 16 inch Varmint barreled rifle, so I'm looking for something with a little more length. Weight isn't as much of an issue for me.

Down the road, how hard are the barrel swaps on the LMT? Can you also swap out the barrels of the VLTOR the same way?

And what's the latest of the POF piston uppers mated with the VLTOR VIS? Is that something I should maybe wait for?

SuicideHz
04-09-07, 20:10
Hopefully Edwin will show you his LMT. I think you'll be hooked after that.

PM him- Edwin907 I believe. Invite him here...

Stickman
04-09-07, 20:23
I am a fan of the VIS, especially in that it takes standard AR15 barrels. The LMT is no slouch either, so at a certain point, it may be more of what you are looking to do with the weapon.

Foxandreed
04-09-07, 21:59
I own an LMT MRP rifle length. I love this rifle. I sold my Pony Gun to but this one. I do have one Pony left. I will see if I can get you a picture.

Federale
04-09-07, 22:13
I own an LMT MRP rifle length. I love this rifle. I sold my Pony Gun to but this one. I do have one Pony left. I will see if I can get you a picture.

That would be great, thanks!

Foxandreed
04-09-07, 22:26
My camera fu is weak. The barrel change is loosen the bolts slide the berrel out slide the new one in and torque it with the wrench. the wrench is pre-set. If you e-mail me I might have better luck with pics. I think the pics are to large.

Federale
04-09-07, 22:33
To throw another one out there, what about Larue's Tactical Stealth Sniper System? The name notwithstanding, I know that Larue's small parts are great, how is the complete upper? I must admit that the 18 inch barrel and the 13.2 inch rail looks pretty good. But does it WORK very good???

docsprague
04-11-07, 18:36
Here is two different configuration I have had my rifle length MRP in. I love it, just wish I could afford a carbine length with a 10.5, maybe I will go that route once LMT gets a piston system going.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/docsprague/HPIM0381.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/docsprague/LMT4.jpg

SuicideHz
04-11-07, 19:03
LaRue makes a monolith? I knew of their Stealth upper but not a monolith...

Going to check now!

graffex
04-12-07, 14:04
I am a fan of the VIS, especially in that it takes standard AR15 barrels. The LMT is no slouch either, so at a certain point, it may be more of what you are looking to do with the weapon.

How does the barrel attach to the VIS?

C4IGrant
04-12-07, 15:44
The VIS is my personal favority.

C4

shark31
04-12-07, 16:31
I like the MRP. IMHO, you will be hard pressed to find better factory chrome lined barrels. Their SS barrels are no slouch either.

I find the ability to shoot 5.56 to practice with and 6.8 for real use out of the same platform to be very cost effective for me. I run the same optics and BUIS for both and have no need to re-zero when changing calibers, but YMMV. With the piston system coming online for these sometime this year or the first of next year, it's modularity will be even more attractive.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/Picture001-1.jpg

ETA: The bare feet are extra

militarymoron
04-12-07, 19:16
the larue stealth sniper system is not a monolith.
how does the VIS barrel attach? pics here (username and password are both 'mm' to view large photos):
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html#visupdate

SuicideHz
04-12-07, 19:22
Didn't think so...

But then again I don't hang out on TOS where LaRue breaks all that stuff out...

militarymoron
04-12-07, 20:03
it's on the LaRue website :)

Federale
04-12-07, 21:41
Well, I spoke to John Noveske and after consultation, I will be going with one of his 18 inch SPR barrels on the VIS Upper. I should have it in a few weeks as it seems that I will be able to get in on the current production run.

How'd I do?:D

Federale
04-12-07, 21:43
the larue stealth sniper system is not a monolith.
how does the VIS barrel attach? pics here (username and password are both 'mm' to view large photos):
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html#visupdate

Yeah, I should have been more clear on that. It isn't a monolith, it was just another complete upper that looked like it might be interesting and I was wondering if anyone had one.

SuicideHz
04-12-07, 21:44
Well you don't ask a Ford dealer which Ford to buy as salesmen can't really make good consultants but you did good...

Federale
04-12-07, 21:47
Well you don't ask a Ford dealer which Ford to buy as salesmen can't really make good consultants but you did good...

LOL. True. However, he wasn't the only guy I called and e-mailed, but I liked what I heard from him.;)

ISAIAH53
04-13-07, 06:59
Well, I spoke to John Noveske and after consultation, I will be going with one of his 18 inch SPR barrels on the VIS Upper. I should have it in a few weeks as it seems that I will be able to get in on the current production run.

How'd I do?:D

In my view, ya done good. I ordered one of his 6.8 SPC 13.7" Infidels with a permanent KX3 on the VIS. Big Brown Truck tracking indicates my package made to to the Chicago area 2 hours ago, but still shows delivery next Monday.:( Maybe they'll feel sorry for me and send it out today.

SinnFéinM1911
04-13-07, 07:43
VLTOR is Def the way to go ! Im getting a few set ups soon, and Ill let you know how it goes !!