PDA

View Full Version : How to make your AR more reliable/dependable?

mity2
02-17-10, 19:47
As title says.

So like everyone else, I built AR.
I got AnvilArm's(now defunct I guess?) lower, DPMS LPK, DPMS recoil tube/buffer, mated with DPMS A1 upper with their BCG.
Then I got YHM A3 Flat top, YHM light weight free float tube, replaced buttstock with MugPul MOE, and their grip, YHM Phantom Flash Suppressor, JP enterprise antiroll pin, BUIS, budger Tac latch, oversize trigger guard, and just order Aimpoint Comp M2.
Only thing I kept from original A1 upper assembly are DPMS BCG, B marked FSB, and 1/9":1 skinny barrel(which is now converted to M4 feed ramp configuration.

It shoot good, accurate, although I did have nagging light primer hit issue for a while, but now resolved(which turned out to be me putting trigger spring backwords..).

So While I sit here and wait for Aimpoint and mount to show up, I got thinking, what else I can do to make this weapon more reliable/dependable to be solid SHTF gun.

I'm thinking most likely place that can fail stock would be BCG.
What do you guys think?

MarshallDodge
02-17-10, 20:17
Read the threads at the top of this forum (http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4) and then come back and ask any questions that you may have after that.

dbrowne1
02-17-10, 20:31
1. Use good magazines. That means (in my opinion) PMags or new USGI mags from a reputable maker, with Magpul followers, or green USGI followers at a minimum.

2. Make sure your extractor has the appropriate spring and isn't worn at the edges of where it grips the case rim.

3. Use good quality ammunition. That generally means (in my opinion) brass cased, from a reputable manufacturer - Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Black Hills are examples of good ones.

4. Keep the bolt/carrier well lubricated. WELL lubricated.

5. Make sure the screws on the gas key on your bolt carrier are tight and well staked in place.

Most AR problems can be traced to one of: Magazine, Extractor, Ammunition, Lubrication - "MEAL"

Certainly there are other issues that can and do arise, but those are the common sources of malfunctions and all are easily addressed and prevented.

maximus83
02-19-10, 09:14
1. Use good magazines. That means (in my opinion) PMags or new USGI mags from a reputable maker, with Magpul followers, or green USGI followers at a minimum.

2. Make sure your extractor has the appropriate spring and isn't worn at the edges of where it grips the case rim.

3. Use good quality ammunition. That generally means (in my opinion) brass cased, from a reputable manufacturer - Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Black Hills are examples of good ones.

4. Keep the bolt/carrier well lubricated. WELL lubricated.

5. Make sure the screws on the gas key on your bolt carrier are tight and well staked in place.

Most AR problems can be traced to one of: Magazine, Extractor, Ammunition, Lubrication - "MEAL"

Certainly there are other issues that can and do arise, but those are the common sources of malfunctions and all are easily addressed and prevented.

Good post, good summary!

motorolahamm
02-19-10, 09:19
Good post, good summary!

Yeah whats up with anvil? good company had some work done from them they were located only 18 miles or so from me

mity2
02-19-10, 19:58
Yeah whats up with anvil? good company had some work done from them they were located only 18 miles or so from me

Taken from another forum I'm reguler at...

Anvil Mfg. Apprently had a issue with its manager and appears to have gone out of business. Taking alot of people's money with it. Apparently the business manager was let go, took all the equipment, guns, records, and money and ran. ATF and another agency (FBI?) is after him, as well as alot of former customers. The original company Anvil Arms is attempting to straighten things out and make right by its contracts but have to find the manager and stock first.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FROM AA'S WEB PAGE:

December 15, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

Mr. Jonathan A. Kruger, former Managing Member, has been terminated from Anvil Arms and, unfortunately, he has subsequently removed all of the equipment, inventory and records from the premises. Legal measures have been taken against Mr. Kruger for his actions.

Due to the nature of the business of Anvil Arms, activities conducted or in any way associated with or represented by Mr. Kruger since his dismissal were unauthorized as he has been removed from the Federal Firearms License (FFL) held by Anvil Arms LLC and such activities have been reported to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE).

Anvil Arms LLC would like to extend to you a sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the change in control of the organization and the subsequent events that have prevented Anvil Arms LLC from continuing normal business operations. New management is utilizing its best efforts to deal with a complicated and unfortunate situation.

Mr. Milton Disser, the new acting Manager of the limited liability company, can be contacted via email at info@anvilarms.com.

Please direct inquiries to:

>>>>>Email: Info@AnvilArms.com<<<<<<