PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a whiskey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RancidSumo
02-17-10, 20:33
As I'm sitting here finishing off the last of the Johnnie Walker Black that I got for my birthday I realized that I need a new bottle of whiskey. The trouble is that I don't know anybody that drinks whiskey. With all the fine taste in firearms around here I know that some of you have got to have equally good taste in alcohol so what whiskey would you recommend?

ETA-This is not to be mixed with anything. I am looking for a good whiskey to drink neat.

ETA #2- let's also talk cigars a these two subjects go hand in hand. I'm new to the smoking world but it is the best bad habit I've ever started. Cigar talk starts on page 9.

Scattergun
02-17-10, 20:36
The Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch Whisky

lethal dose
02-17-10, 20:37
Glenlivit is good... aberlour 12 is better. Try it. Once you go single malt, you'll be hooked.

Ak44
02-17-10, 20:39
I would suggest Scotch...my drink of choice is Macallan 21

theblackknight
02-17-10, 20:40
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43718&highlight=drinking

lots of whiskeys in there

RancidSumo
02-17-10, 20:50
Looks like we've got a scotch crowd here. I did not like the taste at all when I first started that bottle mentioned above but after tasting it several times I enjoyed that last glass a lot. Scotch recommendations are definitely welcome.

I looked through that thread a couple times and I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of Makers Mark because of it.

Artos
02-17-10, 20:52
bourbon: bookers

scotch: Caol Ila

both very yummy...

Ak44
02-17-10, 20:55
Looks like we've got a scotch crowd here. I did not like the taste at all when I first started that bottle mentioned above but after tasting it several times I enjoyed that last glass a lot. Scotch recommendations are definitely welcome.

I looked through that thread a couple times and I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of Makers Mark because of it.

How much are you trying to spend?

SeriousStudent
02-17-10, 20:55
When you say "whiskey", do you mean American bourbon from Kentucky, Irish Whiskey, or single malt Scotch Whisky? They are different beasts.

American - I am partial to Buffalo Trace bourbon. Very inexpensive, only about $20 a bottle, no import duties.

Irish - Black Bush Irish Whiskey. About $40 a bottle if you can find it.

Scottish - Glenmorangie 18-year-old single malt Scotch, about $120 a bottle.

All of these taste very good neat. No ice, no water, just a glass to pour it in. I love my poison unadulterated.

Ak44
02-17-10, 20:59
Whiskey is for mixing and Scotch is for drinking Neat :D

John123
02-17-10, 21:00
My favorite is the Glenfarclas 12 yr single malt highland. Best scotch I have had in a 12 yr. Its not smokey, I like it.

John

lethal dose
02-17-10, 21:05
I'm telling you... dollar for dollar aberlour 12 wins hands down. It can be had for $35-$80. Look up their website and read about their processes then buy a bottle and enjoy. I've had high dollar scotch and this is always my go-to bottle. Very clean with a great nose.

GaryXD
02-17-10, 21:08
Since I live in Kentucky I prefer bourbon:
Makers Mark
Woodford Reserve

bkb0000
02-17-10, 21:09
I'm a bourbon man.. so that's really all i know, and i don't drink basically at all anymore.. but when i did, my favorites were the Beam Small Batch family of bourbons (they're pretty much all delicious).. i don't spend more than $50 on a bottle of booze, so i haven't ever bothered to try anything "better." all can be had for $40-50/bottle, and Knob Creek comes in an economical 2.5lr jug for like $60 (used to be $40, back when i drank it... assholes)

Basil Hayden is my standard all-around sipping whisky. very smooth, plenty of flavor, 80 proof
Bookers is between 125 and 127 proof, so its usually a bit too intense for neat drinking for most guys.. i only drink neat, so i only drink this when in the mood for it specifically.. unfiltered, packed full of flavor... takes a good 25-35 seconds to release the whole spectrum.. very tasty
Bullet Bourbon is a cheap bourbon i tried a few years ago that's quite good for the price.. i think it was around $25 a 5th

Argus
02-17-10, 21:10
I'm a bourbon guy, and Maker's Mark is my go-to drink. Bookers is great too. I also like Basil Hayden, but it's a little more expensive. Tough to go wrong with the Maker's.

bkb0000
02-17-10, 21:11
Whiskey is for mixing and Scotch is for drinking Neat :D

if you're from Scotland, scotch is whisky, and whisky is bourbon. the whisky local to you is always "whisky," and everything else is called by its more technicalish term.

RancidSumo
02-17-10, 21:14
When you say "whiskey", do you mean American bourbon from Kentucky, Irish Whiskey, or single malt Scotch Whisky? They are different beasts.

Short answer, yes. All of it is acceptable.

AK44 and anyone else, I'm not looking to spend a lot on it. I drink too much and make too little money to buy $100 a bottle alcohol. I'd say I'm looking to spend ~$50 max.

Ak44
02-17-10, 21:14
It's all about geography. :) Much like Champagne is only champagne if the grapes from the the Champagne region of France...Likewise for Cognac.

sadmin
02-17-10, 21:15

even the 18 year tastes great. I have been sipping on the The Singleton 12 yr, which is pretty good, on par with Highland Park to me; but neither can touch The Macallan. The caramel / honey-ish after taste on the 18 is, as Ferris Bueller put it, "So Choice."

Ak44
02-17-10, 21:19
even the 18 year tastes great. I have been sipping on the The Singleton 12 yr, which is pretty good, on par with Highland Park to me; but neither can touch The Macallan. The caramel-ish after taste on the 18 is, as Ferris Bueller put it, "So Choice."

I haven't tried the 18, just the 12 and 21. My local bar has a really nice bottle of Highland Park that I'm wanting to try but haven't had a chance. Not sure what the age was but it was something very special from what the Bartender told me...

John Hearne
02-17-10, 21:27
My "go to" whiskey is Knob Creek - it's the perfect blend of taste and reasonable price point.

I used to drink Maker's Mark (FWIW, it was a favorite of Jeff Cooper) but it fell by the wayside once I tasted Knob Creek.

I've had the other small batch brands like Booker's, Baker's, and Basil Haden's. They are all very good and slightly better than Knob Creek but only a bit more. Except for the Basil Haden's it is fine. If it weren't more expensive, I'd drink it as my default.

On a friend's recommendation, I tried Bullet. It wasn't as good as Knob Creek but it is very smooth and very inexpensive.

lethal dose
02-17-10, 21:36
Aberlour 12... eh hem... aberlour 12... huh? What? Did someone hear something?

Artos
02-17-10, 21:40
Bookers is between 125 and 127,

wow...bookers is $60 down this way?? Blanton's is worth a try as well and in the same price window.

My favorites are the upper end tequilas but admit I can get them way cheap across the border. Don Julio 1942 straight out of the freezer is to die for...

Gutshot John
02-17-10, 21:44
Woodford Reserve or Blanton's are excellent bourbons. If you can find one called "Very Old Fitzgerald" jump all over it but it's pricey.

If you like Scotch and money is no object...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100205/sc_afp/antarcticanzealandheritagealcoholwhisky
:D

Powder_Burn
02-17-10, 21:45
Bourbon: Hard to go wrong with Blanton's or Basil Hayden

Scotch: Balvenie 21

RancidSumo
02-17-10, 21:45
wow...bookers is $60 down this way?? Blanton's is worth a try as well and in the same price window.

My favorites are the upper end tequilas but admit I can get them way cheap across the border. Don Julio 1942 straight out of the freezer is to die for...

I think he is talking about 125 proof, not dollars.

R.Miksits
02-17-10, 21:57
I drink forty creek whiskey.

bkb0000
02-17-10, 21:59

indeed.. i was speaking of proof, not price. i picked up a bottle for $50 i think, about three months ago.

speaking of such things- i think the little wooden/plexiglas crate it comes in is ****in stupid.. and cant help but wonder how much of the price of the booze goes into making, assembling, and packing the bottle into that stupid crate. i'd rather just pay $5 less.

KS Trekker
02-17-10, 21:59
The Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch Whisky

+1 - that's my poison! Glenfiddich 12 year old is really good. Both are a good single malt that won't break the bank.

seb5
02-17-10, 22:03
A couple I'd like to reccomend, I'm not a bourbon drinker, too sweet, Canadian, even more so. If you already like scotch you as will really like a good single malt, my favorites are Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich.

I prefer the Irish variety, Redbreast being one of my favorites. Bushmills blackbush is pretty good, Jamesons is well, skip it.

I've been drinking a little of Stranahans Colorado Whisky of late and it's made in the old manner and really tastes more like a Scoth ot Irish than bourbon. It's really worth trying.

Irish
02-17-10, 22:06
I'm partial to Jameson myself :D

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1643/10844157619792955713742.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/10844157619792955713742.jpg/)

13MPG
02-17-10, 22:13
I really enjoy Woodford Reserve.

Macx
02-17-10, 22:16

American - I am partial to Buffalo Trace bourbon. Very inexpensive, only about $20 a bottle, no import duties.

All of these taste very good neat. No ice, no water, just a glass to pour it in. I love my poison unadulterated.

That is good taste in whiskeys. Your point on the differences is a good one, so I'll follow suit -

American - Wild Turkey Rare Breed (I don't do burbon much, if I am going to it is gonna have to be good)

Irish - Tullamore Dew (what I drink more than beer) usually about $20 even smooth and tasty.

Scotch - Glenfiddich 15 year Solera Reserve.

kmrtnsn
02-17-10, 22:33
Life is too short to drink blended whiskeys.

Business_Casual
02-17-10, 22:38
Say what you want, but for the money, Jack Daniels is a pretty good whiskey. Neat, ice or for cocktails, it is a smooth drink.

M_P

thopkins22
02-17-10, 22:46
Passport.:p Not really,(well maybe if you're mixing with anything other than water and ice.)
I generally just resort to Highland Park 12 Year because I don't like being disappointed.

Seriously if you're interested in value, then I tend to agree with this article: http://partysourceeq.com/2009/02/05/bunker-booze-top-value-scotch-whiskies/

spamsammich
02-17-10, 22:54
I've been keeping a bottle of Basil Hayden in stock at all times since May of last year, before that I drank Woodford.

When I'm in the mood for Scotch, it's either Glenmorangie, Balvenie Doublewood, or Dalwhinnie (depends on mood and what's in the duty free when I travel). When I'm feeling like a tough guy I have a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask to take me down a peg or two.

RancidSumo
02-17-10, 22:57
A couple I'd like to reccomend, I'm not a bourbon drinker, too sweet, Canadian, even more so. If you already like scotch you as will really like a good single malt, my favorites are Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich.

I prefer the Irish variety, Redbreast being one of my favorites. Bushmills blackbush is pretty good, Jamesons is well, skip it.

I've been drinking a little of Stranahans Colorado Whisky of late and it's made in the old manner and really tastes more like a Scoth ot Irish than bourbon. It's really worth trying.

Stranahan's, now there is a whisky I would like to try. I think I'll have my dad pick up a bottle next time he is headed this way.

MSP "Sarge"
02-17-10, 23:09
OK Pirate you said it first but i perfer Jack Daniels Single Barrel.... I also like the Green Lable Jack. Somewhat hard to find. Smooth ummm!

lethal dose
02-17-10, 23:26
Am I gonna have to buy you a bottle of aberlour?

SeriousStudent
02-17-10, 23:28
If you are a fan of Jack Daniel's, try and track down a bottle of their Barrel House 1. Superb. I had one bottle, and curse myself for not buying several when I had the chance.

But you'd honestly have an easier time finding a Magpul lower on sale.

And I agree with spamsammich - Dalwhinnie is quite nice, and very easy on the palate. I use it to introduce a lot of people to decent Scotch. It's really nice for a 15-year-old single malt. And affordable at around $45.

An under-appreciated single malt is Glendronach. Fifteen years old, aged in sherry casks for the last three years for a really good finish. I have found it on sale for about $50 at times, so it would fit the OP's price requirement.

If you enjoy a cigar, look around for a bottle of The Dalmore Cigar Malt. It's fair by itself. But with a nice Cohiba or some other good stick, it's amazing. No longer bottled, it was about $45. If you find one gathering dust in a store, buy it.

Chuck
02-17-10, 23:53
Booker's tastes like a gasoline blend. 128 proof?
Woodford's is a little better, and the 'crate' is the best part.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z228/pistolwrench19/rog4-1.jpg

Try some Wellington.

Gramps
02-18-10, 00:26
Austin Nichols, Wild Turkey, Single Barrel Select. It's poured from the barrel, and all hand written on the bottle neck as to what rick, barrel, and alcohol content, AND NO LIME WATER AT ALL! Just pure Whiskey.
You are then a man.

M4Fundi
02-18-10, 00:54

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1643/10844157619792955713742.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/10844157619792955713742.jpg/)

If her name is Jameson then I'm a Jameson fan too:p

To me Scotches are like wine there is no perfect Scotch only a perfect Scotch for the moment. I like Bourbon too.

Scotch
Caol Ila (medium peat very complex curret favorite)
Macallan (12 is my base line for all Scotches its right in the middle, 18 & 21 great, I do like the Cask Strength when I need something full bodied but not too peaty... tho I like peaty)
Oban (low peat very complex the perfect light bodied Scotch)
Knockando (med/hi peat easily found in India)
Lagavulin (med/hi peat)
Laphoaig (med/hi peat)

Irish Whiskey
Red Breast

Bourbons
Beam is perfect
Makers is great
Old Grandad is sentimental and easily found in Southern Africa

please drink responsibly:p

NinjaMedic
02-18-10, 01:58
I think a lot of guys will agree that the Macallan 12 ($40-50)is the standard baseline for what you want to drink.

You cant go wrong with any of the Macallan's (12,18,21,25) (I hope to get ahold of the 30 sometime)

I am also very partial to the Springbank 10 yr 100 proof ($40-50) and the 18 ($100+)

Balvenie fan too.

Terry
02-18-10, 06:43
I must be a hick, because I've never heard of allot of the whiskeys mentioned here.
I am simple, and as such, enjoy Jack Daniels from time to time.

LDM
02-18-10, 06:45
Wild Turkey Rye
If you like Scotch, good chance you'll like this one.

Artos
02-18-10, 07:27
indeed.. i was speaking of proof, not price. i picked up a bottle for $50 i think, about three months ago.

speaking of such things- i think the little wooden/plexiglas crate it comes in is ****in stupid.. and cant help but wonder how much of the price of the booze goes into making, assembling, and packing the bottle into that stupid crate. i'd rather just pay $5 less.

agreed...the joy is all rented in the end anyway. Can't drink the box.:rolleyes:

I personally like the cask strengths myself, although you only really notice this in the first couple of snorts. (on the tongue, not the noggin):cool:

N4LtRecce
02-18-10, 07:59
http://www.feckinwhiskey.com/
:cool::D

OldGreg
02-18-10, 08:28
Went through a scotch phase a few years ago, single malts and blends. The only ones i still regularly get are JW Black Label and Glenrothes. The Glenrothes i go out of my way to get (it's not stocked in every grocery store). Oh, Jameson is a staple too.

Abraxas
02-18-10, 08:38
As I'm sitting here finishing off the last of the Johnnie Walker Black that I got for my birthday I realized that I need a new bottle of whiskey. The trouble is that I don't know anybody that drinks whiskey. With all the fine taste in firearms around here I know that some of you have got to have equally good taste in alcohol so what whiskey would you recommend?

ETA-This is not to be mixed with anything. I am looking for a good whiskey to drink neat.

Try walker blue label, or if you really have some cash to burn, try Johnny Walker blue label King George V. You can get it here:

http://www.riversidewinemerchants.com/r/products/johnnie-walker-blue-label-king-george-v

lebowski
02-18-10, 09:36
Balvenie 12 (doublewood) is my mid-priced scotch of choice.

Business_Casual
02-18-10, 09:47
Try walker blue label, or if you really have some cash to burn, try Johnny Walker blue label King George V. You can get it here:

http://www.riversidewinemerchants.com/r/products/johnnie-walker-blue-label-king-george-v

Anything over $50 a bottle seems stupid to me; champagne included. I defy the great majority of connoisseurs to show how a glass of whiskey is worth 10 times another one.

If your answer is "I just don't get it" then you would be correct. I've smoked it, drank it and banked it. Is a $30 bottle of cognac better than a $5 brandy? Yes, it is, but is a $500 cognac better than a $45 VSOP? Not that much.

M_P

thopkins22
02-18-10, 10:44
Anything over $50 a bottle seems stupid to me; champagne included. I defy the great majority of connoisseurs to show how a glass of whiskey is worth 10 times another one.

If your answer is "I just don't get it" then you would be correct. I've smoked it, drank it and banked it. Is a $30 bottle of cognac better than a $5 brandy? Yes, it is, but is a $500 cognac better than a $45 VSOP? Not that much.

M_P

My parents used to have parties where they would remove the labels from all of the bottles of wine and replace them with numbered cards. Everyone would then rank the wines per their taste.

It was always funny to watch the connoisseurs(particularly the Europeans,) pick a $20 bottle over a $90 one which they had been praising as the greatest thing just a few hours earlier.

My guess is that it would work with whisky as well.

Are there connoisseurs out there who can tell the difference between A and B? As long as neither are true rotgut there are plenty. But when both are quality but one is supposedly super duper, I doubt that many folks could.

NMBigfoot02
02-18-10, 10:54
Say what you want, but for the money, Jack Daniels is a pretty good whiskey. Neat, ice or for cocktails, it is a smooth drink.

M_P

I second that.

I'd also add Elijah Craig and Bulliet as good bourbons.

Business_Casual
02-18-10, 11:01
I've got a bottle of Bulliet in the cabinet now. Good stuff and not a penny over $25.

M_P

Rated21R
02-18-10, 11:06
Talisker.

thegoat273
02-18-10, 13:32
If it is Scotch, I am a McCallen fan.

Bourbon, Knob Creek is the choice

and my Favorite of all.....Tennessee sippin' Whiskey...Gentleman Jack. Love it!!!

Enjoy

mourneblade
02-18-10, 13:39
I drink Blanton's the most, but every year I gift myself a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old. The younger Van Winkles are nice too.

Erik 1
02-18-10, 14:02
bourbon: bookers

scotch: Caol Ila

both very yummy...

I'll second this. Most of the time I drink Makers Mark when I'm having bourbon, but Bookers is good too. Hell, most of the bourbons mentioned are (except I steer clear of Weller - it's good, but it makes me mean). I prefer scotch, though, and my hands down favorite is Caol Ila.

Verbal Kint
02-18-10, 14:38
Another vote for Woodford Reserve (http://www.woodfordreserve.com/), from a Ky native. :)

RT1
02-18-10, 15:55
16 year old Lagavulin :D

lethal dose
02-18-10, 16:03
Eh hem...

sac
02-18-10, 16:11
Templeton Rye http://www.templetonrye.com/home.shtml

Erik 1
02-18-10, 16:26
16 year old Lagavulin :D

That would be a close second on my list. Followed by Laphroaig.

trappernana
02-18-10, 16:50
Trust me I'm no "Single Malt Snob" I drink what I like.The suggestions to spend a shit load of money your going to piss down the drain are ridiculous! One thing I would suggest is that if you like to add soda or any sweet liquid just use a mixed whiskey, at that point the whiskey is there just for the buzz. I like bourbon Jim Beam Black $17.00 a bottle, even that is a bit expensive to piss away.For me thats the limit luckily and I love it.

DevilPhrog
02-18-10, 17:44
Order some Paddy's from Ireland. It comes from the county Cork, is light amber and is really tasty.

mattjmcd
02-18-10, 18:14
For the extra few bucks, I think that Jameson 12 is superior to the garden variety Irish. Others have mentioned Redbreast and I like that one, too. IMO Paddy and Powers both drink like plain vanilla Irish.

For scotch, Balvenie is hard to beat for a "beginner". Not too smokey, not too peaty, and not too pricey!

Artos
02-18-10, 18:18
That would be a close second on my list. Followed by Laphroaig.

The cask strength laphroaig is tasty...the others i tried did not suit.

Erik 1
02-18-10, 18:36
The cask strength laphroaig is tasty...the others i tried did not suit.

The 10 year old and 15 year old have a briny/iodine flavor that doesn't work for a lot of people. I like them though. :)

For the OP - take a look at some of the McClelland's single malts. They're pretty inexpensive and not bad, IMHO .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Mcclellands_islay_scotch_whisky.jpg

Abraxas
02-18-10, 18:51

M_P

Not a hard alcohol drinker of any kind, regardless the price. Just going off what I have been told by people who do. But I think your logic stands to reason

RancidSumo
02-18-10, 19:08
Eh hem...

Your advocacy of Aberlour 12 has been well noted ;). I'll give it a try if I can find it, if not, feel free to follow through with that offer to buy it for me.

lethal dose
02-18-10, 19:14
Your advocacy of Aberlour 12 has been well noted ;). I'll give it a try if I can find it, if not, feel free to follow through with that offer to buy it for me.
Let me know.

Business_Casual
02-18-10, 19:32
Not a hard alcohol drinker of any kind, regardless the price. Just going off what I have been told by people who do. But I think your logic stands to reason

Apologies - that wasn't very well written. I meant that were one to say that "I" meaning me, didn't get it, they would be right. No hard feelings meant!

M_P

Aggie510
02-18-10, 22:45
I like Maker's Mark. It uses wheat as the "flavor" grain, as opposed to rye like most other bourbons. Gives a nice, sweet caramel across the nose.

Knob Creek is another nice one, esp. neat. It's distilled by Jim Beam as part of their small batch collection.

Bill Bryant
02-18-10, 23:20
Johnnie Walker's Blue Label 1805

jproctor
02-18-10, 23:41
Jameson

Makers Mark for bourbon

NinjaTactics
02-19-10, 00:33
The two best for the money in my opinion:
Bookers - 120-129 proof, depending on the individual batch (bottled straight from the barrel, uncut); priced from $45-50 usually
Knob Creek - 90 proof; priced from $22-28 usually

If you plan on drinking it straight I have found no better whisky/whiskey than those.

If you want to be adventurous and delve into drinking rye whiskeys straight (a much different palate, as all rye whiskeys must contain 70% or more rye) I'd recommend these above all others I've tried:
(RI)1 - 92 proof and very good with an orange slice or orange peel twist; priced from $30-40 usually
Templeton Rye - 80 proof; priced from $35-45 usually

I currently have about 125 bottles of liquor, and Bookers and (RI)1 are my absolute favorite whiskeys under $50. If you're on a budget I would then turn to Knob Creek and stop there. I think bourbon and rye just have more character and interesting tastes, so that is all I can genuinely recommend.

EDIT: one thing about Bookers is that it's extremely strong, so be prepared for that. Another thing about it is that it looks pricey, but based on the alchohol content it's about 1.5 times stronger than most others, so figure that into your pricing/budget accordingly (based on proof it's about the same cost as a $30-32 bottle of normal 80 proof stuff).

TommyG
02-19-10, 09:58
Father in law has a place in Canada and brings home four or five bottles of Crown Royal from duty free when he comes home so that is our every day mixer or over ice drink.

I like to sip Jack Daniels over ice in the summer when it is hot.

I like Famous Grouse and a good cigar for serious sit downs.

M4Fundi
02-19-10, 16:16
For a blended Scotch Famous Grouse is solid, unfortunately most of the people I know who drink it mix it with Coke:eek:

Voodoochild
02-19-10, 17:01
Another vote for Woodford Reserve (http://www.woodfordreserve.com/), from a Ky native. :)

Woodford reserve for the win.

threeheadeddog
02-19-10, 19:39
Srry to go against the grain. I am Montana born but moved to Tennessee and love Jack Daniels Single Barrel for whiskey and Arrington Vineyards red wines(especially the Red Fox). I am a very light drinker and dont drink to get wasted but a glass of Single Barrel JD does me just fine.

One of the many things Tenn. does well is drinks.

Blowby
02-19-10, 22:09
Belvenie Protwood 21yr has been my favorite until the price went from about $70 to $170 :mad:

ghost762
02-19-10, 22:23
Maker's Mark!!:D

5pins
02-19-10, 22:46
I went to the liquor store with the intention of buying some Bookers but at $60 a bottle I had to pass. So I took home some Elijah Craig instead. Good flavor and a reasonable price.

TommyG
02-20-10, 07:11
For a blended Scotch Famous Grouse is solid, unfortunately most of the people I know who drink it mix it with Coke:eek:

I will drink Crown/Jack/etc. with Coke now and again but Scotch, jeez.

ggt1_02
02-20-10, 10:07
I have recently taken to Bushmills since being introduced to it in Ireland by my cousin.

M4Fundi
02-20-10, 17:13
I will drink Crown/Jack/etc. with Coke now and again but Scotch, jeez.

African Colonials like to mix Brandy with Coke, Scotch with Coke and yes there is a common Red Wine and Coke drink. :rolleyes:

bar197
02-20-10, 17:50
I am also from KY, so I am a Kentucky bourbon connoisseur. My drink of choice is Bulleit. I also enjoy Woodford, Four Roses, Wild Turkey, Evan Williams, Makers... I guess I am a fan of pretty much anything the great state of Kentucky makes:p

lethal dose
02-20-10, 18:04
now that i am on my computer...
http://www.aberlour.com/12yearolddoublecaskmatured/
there's the stuff you need to get.

Artos
02-20-10, 18:05
I am also from KY, so I am a Kentucky bourbon connoisseur. My drink of choice is Bulleit. I also enjoy Woodford, Four Roses, Wild Turkey, Evan Williams, Makers... I guess I am a fan of pretty much anything the great state of Kentucky makes:p

Try the bookers if you haven't already...from clermont.

Dad just came over w/ a bottle to go with the ribs and chicken. This batch is 126.9 proof...you poor one little snort neat and you are done.

bar197
02-20-10, 18:12
I'll have to give it a try. If it's Kentucky bourbon, it has to be good :D

TriggerFish
02-20-10, 18:53
My personal favorite is the one on the right.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/Z06M16A1/Cool%20Images/scotch.jpg
In order: 15, 12, then 18.

prestonoconnor
02-20-10, 18:59
marker's mark or famous grouse

rocket
02-20-10, 19:08
Jameson all the way...18 year or the Gold.

Smooth, not terribly expensive and always on the rocks!

Submariner
02-20-10, 19:17
As I'm sitting here finishing off the last of the Johnnie Walker Black that I got for my birthday...

Your 21st birthday, right?;)

And you are just starting college in the fall? Whatever happened to the appointment to USNA?

Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon is fine neat.

Whytep38
02-20-10, 19:25
For me, scotch is a cold weather drink, and bourbon is for the rest of the year. I drink them neat.

I'm partial to smokey scotches, and of those I'm partial to Laphroaig. Of the Laphroaig line, I prefer the Quarter Cask, followed closely by the 10 Year. They are like liquid peat embers in a bottle.

For bourbons, I'm partial to Knob Creek. It's a bit rough for most folks, but I like that roughness. Everyone I know loves Wild Turkey Rare Breed, which is somewhat spicy, and it is the absolute smoothest bourbon I've ever had. Frankly, I don't see how you can go wrong with it. However, I'm in the minority on that one. For me, it takes third place behind Knob Creek and Evan Williams Single Barrel, which is smoother than the Knob Creek and a tad sweeter.

dave5339
02-21-10, 08:21
Serious Student and I hunted down a bottle of Thomas Handy (http://www.bourbonstreetwineandspirits.com/265521?brandid=23460&mv_tmp_session=1) last night. It is very nice.

Now I am just waiting till my week in hell with the howling box of electronic death, (pager duty) is over to enjoy a glass to it's full potential.

Semper Fi

RancidSumo
02-27-10, 22:12
I gotta say thanks and that I love you guys. I picked up a bottle of Maker's Mark today and just popped it open. It is very good. Based on my very limited sampling, I like bourbon more than scotch. I think I need to try more kinds though before I make that call for sure ;)

SeriousStudent
02-28-10, 00:09
..... I think I need to try more kinds though before I make that call for sure ;)

The more data you have to plot, the more accurate the graph. :D

pacifico
02-28-10, 01:44
I've barely skimmed this thread, but my tastes run to bourbon - specifically Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, and Knob Creek.

RancidSumo
02-28-10, 02:06
All I can say after enjoying that glass is that Im glad none of my friends or family like whisky. More for me:D

mfast10
03-05-10, 13:44
I'm more of a Kentucky bourbon kind of guy. My favorite is Woodford Reserve. There are lots of others that I can recommend for you if you like.

mfast10
03-05-10, 13:47
I'm more of a Kentucky bourbon kind of guy. I like Woodford Reserve but there are lots of other good ones out there such as Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams, and Bookers just to name a few.

Left Sig
03-05-10, 18:26
I like Irish Whiskey.

Lately, I've been drinking a really nice bottle of Redbreast 12 year old single malt. It's incredibly smooth.

lethal dose
03-05-10, 18:35
Maybe rob_s should make a whiskey version of "the chart". :p seriously, though... aberlour. Haha... maker's mark is a good whiskey.

HK51Fan
03-05-10, 18:56
I'm going to have to go with the MAKERS MARK crowd........love it!

Verbal Kint
03-05-10, 22:12
This thread being brought back up to top reminded me to go shopping tonight. Just picked up another 750ml bottle of Woodford Reserve on the way home.

Enjoying it now, actually. :D

LHS
03-07-10, 23:59
I was originally a Scotch guy, but I've gotten more into bourbons as the price of Scotch has skyrocketed. My bourbon of choice is generally Bulleit, but occasionally I splurge on a Basil Hayden or Knob Creek. I'm not all that fond of Woodford, though many others like it.

As for Scotches, I have a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask on my desk at the moment. I had a 10-year basic Laphroaig years ago, and while it was too harsh and smokey, I thought it would be excellent with a few more years' mellowing. I got the quarter cask based on that assumption. While it's definitely better, it's still a wee bit too stout without a squirt of spring water to tone it down. It sadly doesn't compare to the Lagavulin 16-year I used to get at Sam's Club for $45 back in the day (now it's $90+ if I can find it) or the 1978 Ardbeg I shared with friends one memorable summer evening in Phoenix. My favorite, though, remains the 21-year Balvenie PortWood. Smoothest Scotch I've ever tasted.

Teufelhunden
03-08-10, 08:43
Another vote for Jameson's. I tried Bushmill's to be fair, but didn't like it as much--Jameson's seemed to have a thicker and smoother body.

Redbreast is on my short list of ones to try.

bnanaphone
03-08-10, 10:29
I like Irish Whiskey.

Lately, I've been drinking a really nice bottle of Redbreast 12 year old single malt. It's incredibly smooth.

Here is another vote for Redbreast 12, full of flavor and great to sip on.

If you can find it, try the Signatory Highland Park 1993 Unchillfiltered bottling. It is a great everyday scotch.

SouthWolfGA
03-08-10, 11:03
I personally like Southern Comfort 100 but some find it too sweet.

So alternately, I like knob creek or Bookers for a none sweet whiskey..

snafu
03-08-10, 13:04
I like Irish Whiskey.

Tiocfaidh 'ar la'

Redbreast 12 is about all I drink
Micheal Collins single wasn't bad though either.

Left Sig
03-08-10, 18:06
Tiocfaidh 'ar la'

Redbreast 12 is about all I drink
Micheal Collins single wasn't bad though either.

I also like Kilbeggan, which is a blend, but it's also great. I've had it at an Irish pub, but it's been pretty hard to find lately.

RancidSumo
03-08-10, 18:53
Is Wild Turkey 101 any good?

Gutshot John
03-08-10, 18:57
Is Wild Turkey 101 any good?

That depends on what you mean by "good."

If you like whiskey, exotic pheasant 101 is barely passable.

RancidSumo
03-08-10, 18:58
Lol, thats what I thought. Someone left a half empty bottle in the cabinet and I was thinking about drinking it to slow down the emptying of my Makers Mark. I think I'll stick to what I've got and vodka based drinks.

lethal dose
03-08-10, 19:07
I was originally a Scotch guy, but I've gotten more into bourbons as the price of Scotch has skyrocketed. My bourbon of choice is generally Bulleit, but occasionally I splurge on a Basil Hayden or Knob Creek. I'm not all that fond of Woodford, though many others like it.

As for Scotches, I have a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask on my desk at the moment. I had a 10-year basic Laphroaig years ago, and while it was too harsh and smokey, I thought it would be excellent with a few more years' mellowing. I got the quarter cask based on that assumption. While it's definitely better, it's still a wee bit too stout without a squirt of spring water to tone it down. It sadly doesn't compare to the Lagavulin 16-year I used to get at Sam's Club for $45 back in the day (now it's $90+ if I can find it) or the 1978 Ardbeg I shared with friends one memorable summer evening in Phoenix. My favorite, though, remains the 21-year Balvenie PortWood. Smoothest Scotch I've ever tasted.
Funny you say that, they've gone down here. Aberlour is down to.$40... I used to pay over $50.

gan1hck
03-08-10, 19:23
Jefferson's

http://www.mclainandkyne.com/images/wine_bottle.jpg

Boss Hogg
03-08-10, 19:37
Some of the best bourbons are the obscure ones.....like Old Bourbon Hollow or Old Fitzgerald.....that can be found for under $15/bottle.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a damn good bourbon.

svsv
03-09-10, 02:58
i prefer blended scotch Buchanan's over Chivas Regal any day...

LHS
03-09-10, 07:48
I like Irish Whiskey.

Redbreast is easily the best Irish whiskey I've had. Of course, I haven't gotten into the Irish that much, so my pool of comparison is fairly shallow, but it's still an excellent whiskey.

Left Sig
03-09-10, 21:20
Redbreast is easily the best Irish whiskey I've had. Of course, I haven't gotten into the Irish that much, so my pool of comparison is fairly shallow, but it's still an excellent whiskey.

Funny thing is, I first tried it based on the description on the menu at the Irish pub in town. It sounded like I would like it, and they were right! The house bottle is probably not the 12-year old single-malt, but it's still good.

Leave it to the profoundly well-stocked local liquor store to have the good stuff sitting right on the shelf when I decided to buy some Irish whiskey and went browsing...

LHS
03-09-10, 23:30
I can't remember the bottler, but I did have a bottle of 27-year cask-strength MacAllan that was bottled by a third party. Smooth as silk, something I was surprised to find in a cask-strength whiskey.

kmrtnsn
03-09-10, 23:41
for those into bargains, take a look at the Trader Joe's Scotchs.

LHS
03-09-10, 23:43
The best Scotch bargain I've seen is the Costco scotch. It's marketed under their Kirkland Signature label, but it says right on the bottle that it's distilled and bottled by MacAllan. It's an 18-year MacAllan for $60. Can't beat that. I just rarely find it in the store anymore :(

naloxone
03-10-10, 07:27
Tamdhu is a very good single malt with hints of vanilla, peat, and smoke but not so much of any one flavor to turn anyone off. Factor in that it's <$30 a bottle and it's a great drinker. :cool:

Look out for Corner Creek or Noah's Mill in the bourbon isle too.

seebee
03-10-10, 07:36
best: jack daniels gentleman's jack... about 30 bucks..
good: jack daniels green label ...about 20 bucks
ok: crown royal. pricey buy not my favorite.
I always drink straight over 1 ice cube.:o

LHS
03-10-10, 20:54
I tried some Gentleman Jack. Tasted like they 'smoothed' out the ordinary JD by adding water. Very 'thin' tasting. For $30, I can get a good bourbon like Knob Creek or Bulleit.

Obiwan
03-10-10, 21:58
Balvenie 12 (doublewood) is my mid-priced scotch of choice.

Amen Brother!

LHS
03-10-10, 22:55
Amen Brother!

All of the Balvenies have been good in my experience. The 21-year PortWood is one of my top 5.

Garys4598
03-11-10, 08:18
I strongly recommend Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt. It's wonderfully smooth for a scotch whiskey.

;)

Dravur
03-11-10, 09:47
A very dark brew. It is carbonated though. It isn't aged, but is served ice cold.

You can even buy it in supermarkets.

Diet Pepsi is on the bottles and cans.

So tasty, so fine :D

I never could stand alcohol of an type. Ive tried some of the most expensive whiskeys and found they all remind me of drinking battery fluid.

Can't stand beer either...

Don't smoke cigars or Cigs...

My bad habit is buying guns I guess... and getting cases stuck in a Dillon die...

Devil Dog 999
03-14-10, 17:31
Another vote for Makers' Mark. When at the duty free, I like to pick up some Crown Royal.

lethal dose
03-21-10, 00:31
guys, just tried EAGLE RARE SINGLE BARREL 10 year... great bourbon! and at a price less then $30, it cant be beat. probably the best value in bourbon i have ever tasted.

S-1
03-21-10, 16:33
Gentleman Jack and Pendleton.

12oreo
03-21-10, 16:45

That would be mine also, but my budget only allows Macallan 12.

LHS
03-21-10, 22:05
That would be mine also, but my budget only allows Macallan 12.

Try the MacAllan Cask Strength. It's generally about the same price as the standard 12-year, and has a different flavor for variety :)

I will agree, though, that MacAllan 12 is the standard by which all other Scotches are measured.

woody d
03-22-10, 11:02
I'm a bourbon guy, Tough to go wrong with the Maker's.Amen...smooth and a very easy one to drink on the rocks if you choose, but im also a bourbon guy, so take it for what its worth

Walker77
04-09-10, 22:52
How about home made? This batch is 80 proof, i also have some that is 120 proof.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/nwalker77/IMG_3723.jpg

M4Fundi
04-10-10, 01:17
Well, in my dreams in a dream life and NOT in this life (because that would be illegal;)) I would have a buddy who was a veteran of an unpopular war who had a relative that worked for a big company that used giant surgical steel pharmaceutical grade distillation equipment and said relative managed to acquire one of these units:eek: and the vet managed to get charred oak casks and they made some exceedingly pure liquid which they then cut some to 80 & some to 120 (Kool Aid strength ratings:p) and then aged for 3 years in the charred oak casks and the end result is always an exquisite heavenly adult beverage. I in this dream life would prefer to drink it over cracked (not crushed) ice with a slice of Granny Smith Apple in it. But its just a dream:cool:

Country DeVil
04-10-10, 02:36
being from Ky I will say its not whiskey but try Jim Beam black or Jim Beam Rye. I just opened a new bottle of Rye about an hour ago and I am very happy with it.

Ruff Shod
04-10-10, 08:28
Knob Creek

PrivateCitizen
04-19-10, 21:36
Look what I just found on the counter from the wife celebrating my "1 shy of 40" Birthday.

Not bad at all …

http://dragonfly-media.com/_img/misc/jwgreen.png (http://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/greenlabel/)

dewingrm
04-20-10, 04:27
If I'm in the mood for Scotch my two favorites are Balvenie Doublewood and Glenlivet French Oak Reserve.

For Bourbons I like Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare.

Blended Scotch I like Famous Grouse.

When I'm feeling cheap I drink Evan Williams.

kaiservontexas
04-20-10, 11:04
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/crusaderwyn/random10.jpg

Pathfinder Ops
04-20-10, 12:33

This is very much my position on this topic.

In fact I'm very loyal to this.

I hope she knows it.:D

jwistuber
04-24-10, 23:45
I have just finished my first bottle of Maker's Marks after it was suggested to me by a friend. Until then I drank Bombay sipher gin. I have to say I like the taste of Maker's mark much better. I am thinking of trying Knob Creek next. Good whiskey like good firearms all I can say is so many good burbons so little money.

em2b96p
04-25-10, 00:48
TULLAMORE DEW!!!!!!!!!

bobbo
04-25-10, 19:52
Life is too short to drink blended whiskeys.

I used to think so too, but after doing a whisky tasting that featured some pretty incredible blended whisky's (most of which started well over $100 a fifth) I must admit that I had to amend my thinking. I have a bottle of 175th anniversary Talisker in my cabinet that's pretty amazing too. That being said my go to whisky is Cragganmore. Great Speyside single malt, nice smokey-peaty flavor, and it doesn't break the bank. The 12yr. old can usually be found for under $50, and as usual the longer they let the angels sip at it, the better and more expensive it gets. :p

bobbo
04-25-10, 20:01
Well, in my dreams in a dream life and NOT in this life (because that would be illegal;)) I would have a buddy who was a veteran of an unpopular war who had a relative that worked for a big company that used giant surgical steel pharmaceutical grade distillation equipment and said relative managed to acquire one of these units:eek: and the vet managed to get charred oak casks and they made some exceedingly pure liquid which they then cut some to 80 & some to 120 (Kool Aid strength ratings:p) and then aged for 3 years in the charred oak casks and the end result is always an exquisite heavenly adult beverage. I in this dream life would prefer to drink it over cracked (not crushed) ice with a slice of Granny Smith Apple in it. But its just a dream:cool:

A few years ago I helped a buddy of mine make wine. During the transfer from primary fermentation to secondary, his little Italian father came in and scolded "Now don't you dare throw out that must!" Long and short of the story is a couple months later my buddy came by with a thank you gift for helping him with the wine. A fifth of his father's grappa, the smoothest I've ever tasted. Just don't spill it on the furniture, I did once and it took the finish off faster than I could wipe it up! (and I'm not exaggerating)

bobbo
04-25-10, 20:22
Well, now that you guys have got me thinking about it. And having poured a finger's worth of Talisker into a snifter. How many of you enjoy a good cigar with your whisky? What are you're favorites? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for me a fine whisky and a good cigar compliment each other so well it's hard to have one without the other. Personally I enjoy AVO's usually #5's Dominican filler in a Connecticut wrapper, a little on the light side with a touch of spice. The perfect foil for my scotch. ;)

Alpha Sierra
04-25-10, 20:53
I am halfway through a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon and all I have to say is WOW.

Smooooooooth and flavorful. Well worth the $45 I paid and it went to the top of my list.

jklaughrey
04-26-10, 00:00
Lagavulin 16 year, has a real Isle Islay peat aroma and flavor, or Macallans 21 oak casked is a always a winner. But if you looking for something slightly less expensive good ole' Jamesons' will certainly help you grenade the brain quite effectively. Matter of fact that is what is in my glass right now!

Oh and Bobbo, La Gloria Cubanas are my favorites with whiskey, scotch a really good Port or Madeira.

mnagant762
04-30-10, 19:40
After reading this wealth of brain fogging wisdom and having never had scotch :eek: I went to the store today and on the recommendation of the "store expert" I bought a bottle of Balvenie doublewood he said it was a good starter scotch. I normally don't like straight hooch but I have to say this is pretty tasty.

LHS
04-30-10, 20:34
After reading this wealth of brain fogging wisdom and having never had scotch :eek: I went to the store today and on the recommendation of the "store expert" I bought a bottle of Balvenie doublewood he said it was a good starter scotch. I normally don't like straight hooch but I have to say this is pretty tasty.

I've yet to find a Balvenie I didn't like. They're all good, from the 10-year 'Private Reserve' to the 21-year 'Portwood'.

RancidSumo
06-03-10, 20:12
Update:

I've gone through several bottles of Makers Mark since I started this thread and I really enjoy it but today I decided to go with something different. I picked up a bottle of Woodford's Reserve and it is a damn good bourbon. I think I like it even more that MM but both will always be welcome on my shelf. I recommend trying it if you haven't.

sdcromer
06-04-10, 23:19
Elijah Craig and Knob Creek are my two favorites for bourbon.

The Macallan is my favorite scotch.

PrivateCitizen
06-04-10, 23:27
On a regular basis, Ezra Brooks with a splash is a good choice.

It has kept me company tonight …

http://dragonfly-media.com/_img/misc/ezra.png

parishioner
06-18-11, 21:51
Currently enjoying a basil haydens and a cigar. What a fantastic indulgence that combination is. Basil Hayden is a little on the weak side at 80 proof compared to other bourbons. It's not as bold but still a fine drink and one of my favorites.

I prefer knob creek to woodford but you can't go wrong with either.

While on vacation in Jackson, WY I ordered a blantons because I've never tried it, but the bartender suggested a bourbon they just special ordered. Four Roses limited edition single barrel was the name and boy was it tasty. Needless to say, I'm currently hunting a bottle because it may have been the finest bourbon my pallet has encountered. Don't skip if you have the opportunity to try it.

Have a good night gents.

Gutshot John
06-18-11, 22:02
I've recently become a devotee of Macallan's 12 year old and I'm a bourbon drinker.

mtdawg169
06-18-11, 22:05
Well, now that you guys have got me thinking about it. And having poured a finger's worth of Talisker into a snifter. How many of you enjoy a good cigar with your whisky? What are you're favorites? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for me a fine whisky and a good cigar compliment each other so well it's hard to have one without the other. Personally I enjoy AVO's usually #5's Dominican filler in a Connecticut wrapper, a little on the light side with a touch of spice. The perfect foil for my scotch. ;)

Padron Family Reserve and Opus X, Forbidden X. The Padron family will be at my local shop next Saturday. Loooking forward to trying out some new smokes with them.

LHS
06-18-11, 22:15
I picked up a bottle of Costco's house brand, Kirkland Signature bourbon. Based on some research, it appears to be made by Jim Beam. It's very similar to Knob Creek, but 103 proof and $20 for a 1-liter bottle. Great value for a sipping whiskey.

RWBlue
06-18-11, 22:44

We should have gone drinking together.

lethal dose
06-18-11, 22:51
My standbys are still Aberlour 12 single malt for scotch Eagle Rare 10 for bourbon. I cannot stress how amazing these beverages are and at a truly perfect price point. After much research, I have yet to find anything that comes closer buck to buck. Since I don't drink to get drunk, a bottle lasts me the betterpart of a year... I highly recommend giving them a try if you're looking to just enjoy a good whiskey.

LHS
06-18-11, 22:52
I had a taste of some cask strength Aberlour a few years back, and was suitably impressed. It held its own against the MacAllan.

SeriousStudent
06-18-11, 23:11
We should have gone drinking together.

I tried to do so, but you were all "Oh no, I have a big job interview with your company tomorrow and can't stumble in reeking of booze."

And then you got a whiff of the interview team.....LOL.

Just kidding. If you do get down here again, we'll hoist a glass, and a fine cigar. And you can teach me reloading.

CLHC
06-19-11, 16:38
If one can find them (hardly in my neck of the woods), some of the ones I enjoyed (easily attainable when I lived in the Bay Area):

Laphroaig 30

Balvenie 21 Portwood

Macallan 18

LHS
06-19-11, 16:45
If one can find them (hardly in my neck of the woods), some of the ones I enjoyed (easily attainable when I lived in the Bay Area):

Laphroaig 30

Balvenie 21 Portwood

Macallan 18

I have a bottle of the 25-year cask-strength Laphroiag, and it's quite good. Never tried the 30 though. The 21 Balvenie is amazingly smooth. The MacAllan 18 is excellent as well.

bp7178
06-19-11, 20:46
I've tried Scotch many times, and I can't get past it tasting like whiskey with dirt in it.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel all the way. Its like candy when served neat.

threeheadeddog
06-19-11, 20:59
I have Crown Royal Reserve, Lagavulin 16, and Buffalo Trace in my wine celler right now(I like to keep my whiskey at 60 degrees and I drink it with a couple of ice cubes).

As much as I like bourbon I have yet to find one that is as smooth as Crown Royal Reserve (I am a very lite drinker so it takes me a while before I finish a bottle to try out new things).

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Also I have never tried an Irish whiskey. Is it like Scotch? Something entirely different?

LHS
06-19-11, 22:06
Irish whisky is its own animal. I highly recommend Redbreast if you want to try a good example of the type.

Magic_Salad0892
06-20-11, 07:13
Maker's Mark. When I want to be an asshole I'll mix it with Red Bull.

ffhounddog
06-20-11, 08:30
For bourbon I get Jeremiah Weed (13.00 a bottle on post) been drinking that for a long time in the squadron when I was in the Air Force. We would use that for everything.

When I joined the Army (RIF so blue to green I went) they made me try all those fancy stuff but stuck to the weed I keep 3 bottles at the house.

For Scotch I drink Belvinie Double Wood I get on post 20 dollars cheaper than the local rip off store.

RancidSumo
03-28-12, 12:21
My tastes have recently shifted away from whisky as I've discovered my love of gin (a whole different topic but maybe one worthy of being discussed, even though the only correct answer to "Which gin?" is "Tanqueray."). Despite this shift, I've recently tried a couple of very good single malts. Macallan 12 Year and Laphroaig Cask Strength have both been excellent. The Laphroaig was made even better by an Arturo Fuente Anejo and beautiful weather out on the balcony.

Bottom line is I would definitely recommend both.

And now for a different but related subject, what is your favorite smoke to go with your whisky? So far mine have been the AF Anejo mentioned above, Padron Serie 1926 #6 Maduro, Oliva V, and the AF Hemingway Short Story. I'm really interested in finding some very good <$5 sticks.

J-Dub
03-28-12, 13:06
Has anyone tried "Bird Dog" Blackberry Whiskey?

madisonsfinest
03-28-12, 14:09
Man this thread is going to get me into trouble. After a little research I've decided to give the Aberlour A'Bunadh a shot. Anyone with experience? Thanks

DTHN2LGS
03-28-12, 14:43
All of the Balvenies have been good in my experience. The 21-year PortWood is one of my top 5.

So, out of curiosity, what are your top 5?

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
03-28-12, 15:58
I haven't seen anyone mention it but Glenfiddich is one of my favorites. My friend bought me a bottle of the 21 year and it's delicious. Also, Balvenie double wood 14 year is great. I'd take either of those and their 30 year counterparts if I feel like splurging. Hennessy pure white is pretty good if you want to try something different. I never thought I'd drink and enjoy cognac until this stuff, which is unfortunately only available in the Carribean. Otherwise, I tend to stick to single malts in the mid teens or twenties when I can find them.

LHS
03-28-12, 17:46
Man this thread is going to get me into trouble. After a little research I've decided to give the Aberlour A'Bunadh a shot. Anyone with experience? Thanks

A great malt. Highly recommended.

munch520
03-28-12, 18:28
I can't read this entire thread without relapsing but as a proud Scot I'll offer up Dahlwinnie as my favorite. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are also really good.

LHS
03-28-12, 22:41
So, out of curiosity, what are your top 5?

In no particular order:

1. Balvenie 21-year Portwood
2. Ardbeg 1978
3. MacAllan 27-year Cask Strength
4. Lagavulin 16-year
5. Laphroaig 25-year Cask Strength 2008

The Aberlour A'Bunadh is knocking on that list too. As you can probably tell, I love the Islay malts. That smoky-peaty flavor just trips my trigger.

LHS
03-28-12, 22:45
I haven't seen anyone mention it but Glenfiddich is one of my favorites. My friend bought me a bottle of the 21 year and it's delicious. Also, Balvenie double wood 14 year is great. I'd take either of those and their 30 year counterparts if I feel like splurging. Hennessy pure white is pretty good if you want to try something different. I never thought I'd drink and enjoy cognac until this stuff, which is unfortunately only available in the Carribean. Otherwise, I tend to stick to single malts in the mid teens or twenties when I can find them.

I've had the 12-year Balvenie doublewood, but not the 14. I'll have to look for that. Balvenie also recently put out whiskeys aged in Islay casks and Caribbean rum casks, which sound very interesting. Really, all of the Balvenies that I've tried have been great, from the economical 10-year through the 15-year single barrel and up to the 21-year portwood. I've been wanting to try some of the older bottlings, but can't find anyone willing to split a bottle with me and I'm not about to blow that much coin on an unknown whiskey by myself.

I've had Glenfiddich 12, and it was decent, but I prefer the MacAllan in that price range. A friend of mine has the 12, 15 and 18 in house, so next time I'm over there I'll give it a whirl.

I also recently tried the Suntory Yamazaki Japanese 12-year single malt, and it was surprisingly good. More character than Glenlivet 12, but smoother than MacAllan 12. A nice compromise.

davidjinks
03-28-12, 22:50
Jamison Limited 18 year old

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

LHS
03-29-12, 00:41
The local Costco's got the Kirkland Signature bourbon again, for the same $20/liter. Score some while you can, it's a great bourbon, especially given the price.

LHS
03-29-12, 00:44
Jamison Limited 18 year old

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

I tried the JD "Gentleman Jack", and found it no smoother or better flavored than regular Jack, and certainly not equal to some bourbons in the same price range. Is the Single Barrel significantly better?

munch520
03-29-12, 09:01
In no particular order:

1. Balvenie 21-year Portwood
2. Ardbeg 1978
3. MacAllan 27-year Cask Strength
4. Lagavulin 16-year
5. Laphroaig 25-year Cask Strength 2008

The Aberlour A'Bunadh is knocking on that list too. As you can probably tell, I love the Islay malts. That smoky-peaty flavor just trips my trigger.

Nice, I'll have to give a couple of these a try. Although stronger than I usually prefer, also have a few of my favorite on your list.

I tried the JD "Gentleman Jack", and found it no smoother or better flavored than regular Jack, and certainly not equal to some bourbons in the same price range. Is the Single Barrel significantly better?

I can't tell the difference between any of it. Or Wild Turkey vs. Rare Breed for that matter.

davidjinks
03-29-12, 10:03
In my not so sophisticated pallet...

I think the Gentleman Jack is no better than regular Jack. In which I don't like any of them...enter in Jack Daniels Single Barrel...above and beyond any other Jack product. It's very smooth, great taste of oak and spice with a sweet tone to it. It is the only Jack product I continue to buy.

PaulL
03-30-12, 01:02
You gotta try this. It's quite a bit different, but I really like it. You get a definite taste of vanilla. I think I prefer it to the Doublewood, and it's not much more money.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/truthseeker1106/Misc%20Photos/fb7e8a07.jpg

Nightmare to photograph, too, for whatever that's worth...

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
03-30-12, 09:23
I've had the 12-year Balvenie doublewood, but not the 14. I'll have to look for that. Balvenie also recently put out whiskeys aged in Islay casks and Caribbean rum casks, which sound very interesting. Really, all of the Balvenies that I've tried have been great, from the economical 10-year through the 15-year single barrel and up to the 21-year portwood. I've been wanting to try some of the older bottlings, but can't find anyone willing to split a bottle with me and I'm not about to blow that much coin on an unknown whiskey by myself.

I apologize for the error but I mixed up the names slightly. The 14 year I have is the Golden cask and is very good. The 12 year, which I haven't tried, is the double wood. Try the golden cask if you can find it. I love it.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
03-30-12, 09:26
You gotta try this. It's quite a bit different, but I really like it. You get a definite taste of vanilla. I think I prefer it to the Doublewood, and it's not much more money.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/truthseeker1106/Misc%20Photos/fb7e8a07.jpg

I have to say Balvenie has some great presentation with those bottles. They just scream "drink me" when you look at them. I've Never seen the Carribean cask but it looks good. If I can find the 21 and 30 around, I'm gonna have to grab them but they're hard to find. I may have to just order the darn things and have them shipped. Anyone know a good online site with reasonable prices?

Reagans Rascals
03-30-12, 09:43
Jack Daniels Green Label..... its the actual original Jack Daniels blend that Jack himself would have enjoyed during his time, the famed Old No. 7 didn't come about until after his death.

http://www.whisky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9689

...The Green Label is too often seen and regarded as the low-end stepchild Jack Daniels product, but it is more than worthy in my opinion. It's pretty good stuff, I like it in an old fashioned glass, no ice, just neat. A real man's whiskey that has remained true to it's roots. I wish more things today would remain true to their roots. The Green Label is actually the original Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey and the only one of the distilleries whiskeys that Jack Daniels himself would have known in his lifetime. The Black Label wasn't created until 1912, a year after Jack died. Lem Motlow created the more mature Black Label in honor of his uncle Jack. How do I know all this? Well when you've known Jack as long as I have you are sure to pick up lots of information about the regulars in your life over the years ;-)

It's also about $10 a bottle cheaper than Old No. 7 and I actually find it to be smoother and better by itself than Old No. 7... just my .002

complements very well with a nice cigar like a Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Churchill

munch520
03-30-12, 12:09
:dance3:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/aef9c498.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/4cba2702.jpg

SeriousStudent
03-30-12, 18:13

Balvenie Caribbean Cask

Great photo, I appreciate the effort.

I pulled a VP's irons out of the fire at work a few years ago, and he gave me a 21-year-old bottle of The Balvanie as a reward. It almost made it worth it. ;)

LHS
03-30-12, 21:35
I apologize for the error but I mixed up the names slightly. The 14 year I have is the Golden cask and is very good. The 12 year, which I haven't tried, is the double wood. Try the golden cask if you can find it. I love it.

No apology necessary. I will certainly look for this "Golden Cask". If it's anything like the other Balvenies, it'll be well worth it!

LHS
03-30-12, 21:42
Good god, I just looked up how much the Balvenie 21-year Portwood is going for these days. Total Wine has it for $170/bottle. That's $100 more than I paid for it a decade ago.

LHS
03-31-12, 03:39
I've been keeping a bottle of Basil Hayden in stock at all times since May of last year, before that I drank Woodford.

When I'm in the mood for Scotch, it's either Glenmorangie, Balvenie Doublewood, or Dalwhinnie (depends on mood and what's in the duty free when I travel). When I'm feeling like a tough guy I have a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask to take me down a peg or two.

Ahhh, the Quarter Cask. I bought a bottle of that a while back, as I love Islay malts, and I felt like the Laphroaig would be great if it had a chance to mellow. Unfortunately, the Quarter Cask is not all that mellow compared to the standard 10-year. Get yourself the 25-year, though... and we're talking. The problem I found, though, is that for the obscene price of a 25-year cask strength Laphroaig (cheapest I've seen it is $400), I can get three or more bottles of Lagavulin 16-year, which IMHO is an equally good whisky.

LHS
03-31-12, 03:53
My tastes have recently shifted away from whisky as I've discovered my love of gin (a whole different topic but maybe one worthy of being discussed, even though the only correct answer to "Which gin?" is "Tanqueray.").

Ah, gin. I am a diehard Plymouth man, personally. I even developed my own martini recipe:

2 shots Plymouth gin
1 shot Lillet Blanc
1 squirt of lime juice
3 dashes of Angustura Bitters
splash of olive brine

I call it a "Dirty Headshot".

Belmont31R
03-31-12, 21:45
Not much of a scotch fan but haven't had too many of them.

Am big into cigars though. I smoke 4-5 a week.

Tonight's drink....

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/addde757-1.jpg

LHS
03-31-12, 22:29
I like Bulleit, it's a great mid-range bourbon. Cheaper than Knob Creek, and better than Jack or Turkey.

davidjinks
03-31-12, 23:46
Rocky Patel, Connecticut, Vintage 1999

A glass of Jamison Limited 18 year old...

Awesome!

Also try a LFD El Jocko Maduro

Crown and ice...

Not much of a scotch fan but haven't had too many of them.

Am big into cigars though. I smoke 4-5 a week.

Tonight's drink....

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/addde757-1.jpg

Belmont31R
04-01-12, 03:24
Im into cigars of a certain origin.....

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/cdf68b24-1.jpg

Scoby
04-01-12, 08:32
George Dickel No. 12 Very smooth drink.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/product-no12.jpg

:D

GotAmmo
04-01-12, 08:42
I picked up this lil jug yesterday. Been on a novelty whiskey bottle kick lately http://img.tapatalk.com/a6890add-5b34-587e.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

LHS
04-01-12, 14:18
I picked up this lil jug yesterday. Been on a novelty whiskey bottle kick lately http://img.tapatalk.com/a6890add-5b34-587e.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to try some of the young corn whiskeys that are starting to appear on the market. The novelty junk in the quart mason jar is just nasty, but I'm told some of the corn whiskeys are actually quite good.

madisonsfinest
04-01-12, 14:20
Well I picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh today. It's batch 38. Going to have to dive in tonight!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/IMG_2137.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/IMG_2142.jpg

Hopefully the old lady doesn't ask how much it costs!

GotAmmo
04-01-12, 14:28
I've been wanting to try some of the young corn whiskeys that are starting to appear on the market. The novelty junk in the quart mason jar is just nasty, but I'm told some of the corn whiskeys are actually quite good.

I've got a couple jars of Midnight Moon from NC and some Stillhouse Shine from Va which have been popping up and they have actually tasted pretty good

Working on a jar of "Apple Pie" at the moment which is like drinking an atomic fireball candy ... but I end up just cutting it with more apple cider and it tones it down a bit

SeriousStudent
04-01-12, 15:53

Try some of the Buffalo Trace "White Dog". It's quite good. I drink it straight, it's about 150 proof. I make sure I keep the lit cigar on the other end of the table, however.

Very smooth stuff, I like it a lot. But I did live in Kentucky for a while, and had a Mason jar stuff to me once there. This is better and safer.

LHS
04-01-12, 17:23
Try some of the Buffalo Trace "White Dog". It's quite good. I drink it straight, it's about 150 proof. I make sure I keep the lit cigar on the other end of the table, however.

Very smooth stuff, I like it a lot. But I did live in Kentucky for a while, and had a Mason jar stuff to me once there. This is better and safer.

I'll give the White Dog a try. I grew up in West Virginia, so I know first hand that you had better know who made the hooch before you drink it. Unscrupulous or ignorant distillers can kill or blind you.

SeriousStudent
04-01-12, 21:27
I'll give the White Dog a try. I grew up in West Virginia, so I know first hand that you had better know who made the hooch before you drink it. Unscrupulous or ignorant distillers can kill or blind you.

That is absolutely true. And it's a real problem with counterfeit liquor, where a bottle is recycled and filled with whatever they can lay their hands on.

The Mason jar in question was consumed in a Louiville law office, and very tasty. ;)

The Wild Turkey American Honey is also a lot of fun to drink, especially when served frozen. Great for the treatment of a winter scratchy throat.

I have heard that The Dalmore is going to reintroduce their Cigar Malt. I have an old bottle stashed that I dole out sparingly to guests who can appreciate it. It goes very well with a good Fuente or Cohiba. I'm eager to try the new bottling. Have you had a chance to track down a bottle?

LHS
04-02-12, 03:08
That is absolutely true. And it's a real problem with counterfeit liquor, where a bottle is recycled and filled with whatever they can lay their hands on.

The Mason jar in question was consumed in a Louiville law office, and very tasty. ;)

The Wild Turkey American Honey is also a lot of fun to drink, especially when served frozen. Great for the treatment of a winter scratchy throat.

I have heard that The Dalmore is going to reintroduce their Cigar Malt. I have an old bottle stashed that I dole out sparingly to guests who can appreciate it. It goes very well with a good Fuente or Cohiba. I'm eager to try the new bottling. Have you had a chance to track down a bottle?

I never cared for American Honey. I think I may still have half a bottle somewhere.

I have tried the Dalmore Cigar Malt, but not with a good cigar. It was quite tasty. If they start producing it again, I'll have to snag a bottle!

davidjinks
04-02-12, 10:49
I can't see the picture.

Im into cigars of a certain origin.....

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/cdf68b24-1.jpg

DTHN2LGS
04-02-12, 12:26
A picture may speak a thousand words, but only if you can see it. I have decided that I will also post a description of the picture whenever I post pictures, in case the pictures disappear.

Shit happens. :big_boss:

Belmont31R
04-02-12, 16:29
Sorry gents. Was rearranging stuff and some stuff got mixed up.

Heres my current stash. Not sure why the Xikar's are reading such different humidity levels. Calibrated them both at the same time using the salt method listed on their site. Cigars smoke well and are not dried out nor are they too wet so I don't pay too much attention to it.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/291444d0.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/ade3f164.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/b3197b63.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/039dbaee.jpg

Next project is going to be a wineador with cedar shelves/drawers. With the heat around here its impossible to keep the temp even in a cooler 70 or below. Ideal for me would be 65%/65F but not possible in this climate. In the summer my office gets up to 78-79 even with the central AC running ALL DAY.

M4Fundi
04-02-12, 17:08
Belmont try some La Gloria Cubana Series R Maduro :D

Belmont31R
04-02-12, 18:06
Have had a ton of them over the years. I do like them for that kinda raw unique taste. Everyone taste is different but if someone gave me one I wouldn't turn it down..

Heres some recents:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/2204032c.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/f85b3ced.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/1fa7d021.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/6b6625d6.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/ce2af0f6.jpg

Belmont31R
04-02-12, 18:20
Oh yeah if anyone want to know why my thumb looks like a wrinkly penis its because it got burnt years ago. Never been the same since... :p

RancidSumo
04-03-12, 11:34
I see some of my favorite smokes in there. As I've said before, the Padron 1926 is at the top of my list. I've got one sitting in the humi for celebrating the end of the upcoming barrage of tests.

Last time I was at one of the local B&Ms I picked up a T52 that I'm hoping lives up to the hype.

By far the biggest disappointment I've had in my short time smoking has been the RP Vintage 1992 Robusto that I smoked last Friday. Four of us were all smoking the same cigar and three of them had the wrapper come completely off during the last third of the cigar. It wasn't a bad tasting stick but I'm not paying $8 a cigar if shit like that is going to happen. Anyone else had this happen? (Btw, they were bought from three different shops and stored in three different humidors. The one that didn't come completely unwrapped came from the same shop as one that did.)

TomF
04-03-12, 11:43
Cigars and hooch? How did I just find this thread?

My favorite smoke at the moment is a Liga #9. I had my first VSG about a week ago and it was pretty good as well.

The liquor closet (yes closet, not cabinet ;) ). Currently has a few bottles of Glenmorangie and Woodford Reserve.

Give me a Maduro cigar and almost any good scotch or bourbon and I'm content.

davidjinks
04-03-12, 14:49
Trying to keep on track with the OP...but...hard...to...resist...cigar talk when talking whiskey.......

For you smokers out there:

La Flor Dominicana: Factory press III (if you can find them) or the IV.
Add your favorite scotch...

Camacho: Triple Maduro
Add your favorite scotch

Yes...it's that easy!

Personally I think Padron is overrated. That's just me though.

SeriousStudent
04-03-12, 20:51
Cigars and hooch? How did I just find this thread?

My favorite smoke at the moment is a Liga #9. I had my first VSG about a week ago and it was pretty good as well.

The liquor closet (yes closet, not cabinet ;) ). Currently has a few bottles of Glenmorangie and Woodford Reserve.

Give me a Maduro cigar and almost any good scotch or bourbon and I'm content.

If we pay you in single malt Scotch, do we get some extra schwag with the holsters? :D

RancidSumo
04-04-12, 00:28
Trying to keep on track with the OP...but...hard...to...resist...cigar talk when talking whiskey.......

For you smokers out there:

La Flor Dominicana: Factory press III (if you can find them) or the IV.
Add your favorite scotch...

Add your favorite scotch

Yes...it's that easy!

Personally I think Padron is overrated. That's just me though.

I edited the OP so now cigars are in line with it.

I'll take a look for those two next time at at the shop. Are they mild, medium, or full bodied? I'm looking for some good mediums as I've got too many fulls so hopefully at least one is.

What Padrons have you tried? I ask because I've had two types, the 1964 and the 1926. Both were relatively expensive cigars but only the 1926 (in both natural and maduro) was worth a damn. The 1964 had little flavor and some burn issues but im willing to give it another shot. I want to try the x000 line but haven't yet.

davidjinks
04-04-12, 09:52
For the Padron:

1926 maduro and natural #9 & 6
1964 maduro and natural IIRC it's the Principe
3000/4000/5000/6000 series
Handmade

Out of all of those, the handmade is the only Padron that I like. That is my "Camping/woods/camp fire" cigar. All the others...I think they're overrated.

For LFD Factory Press III or IV: I consider them to be on the medium scale. Others I've smoked with think they're more of a full bodied. They burn pretty straight, tight medium grey ash and the tooth varies. Great earthy taste, good spice and a bit of a nutty finish. Try that one with your favorite scotch or you can try it with amaretto on the rocks. For whatever reason the amaretto draws out the wood taste and calms the spice.

The Camacho triple maduro: full bodied, fairly strong good burn and tight ash. You can't really make a wrong choice for a drink...scotch, rum or even a tequila. I have limited exposure to these because they are fairly difficult to get in my area.

A good medium to full bodied cigar: LFD Ligero L400 or L300.

I edited the OP so now cigars are in line with it.

I'll take a look for those two next time at at the shop. Are they mild, medium, or full bodied? I'm looking for some good mediums as I've got too many fulls so hopefully at least one is.

What Padrons have you tried? I ask because I've had two types, the 1964 and the 1926. Both were relatively expensive cigars but only the 1926 (in both natural and maduro) was worth a damn. The 1964 had little flavor and some burn issues but im willing to give it another shot. I want to try the x000 line but haven't yet.

TomF
04-04-12, 10:00
If we pay you in single malt Scotch, do we get some extra schwag with the holsters? :D

This thread sparked a Whiskey discussion on our Facebook page yesterday with a number of people offering the same. :)

...not sure you want your gear built by a production team halfway into the bottle you sent..... :lol:

TomF
04-04-12, 10:01
Add your favorite scotch

I have heard good things about this stick.

I enjoy CAO MX2's, will have to try the Camacho Triple soon.

davidjinks
04-04-12, 10:58
I think CAO makes an OK stick.

My most favorite one from them is the CAO maduro. The MX2 and LX2 I could never warm up to. I personally think the draw is long and unfulfilling. I'm waiting to try their new cigar line, OSA Sol.

I'm pretty much a maduro whore. I like the full bodied, earthy/woody/spicey flavor that a maduro gives. I personally think you won't be dissapointed with the Camacho Triple.

Another favorite of mine is the Rocky Patel Connecticut 1999 vintage. That is a very smooth stick with great flavor that goes great with Jamison and Guiness.

You might like to try Rocky Patel, The Edge. Goes great with whiskey or a spiced rum, does not go well with carbonated beverages.

I have heard good things about this stick.

I enjoy CAO MX2's, will have to try the Camacho Triple soon.

Belmont31R
04-04-12, 12:36
Cigars are so personal its hard to say what someone else would like. I like the regular series Padron's a lot but Padron isn't really known for those...mostly the Anniversary series.

A lot of people like Fuente's but they have always seemed bland to me. Opus X to me have been powerful with what Id call a "typical" cigar flavor. Nothing that Id want to smoke often or even pay the going rates for. Have had several from their other lines and they have always been meh. A few decent ones here and there. I would like to try an Anejo, though.

Ive found Tatuaje to be about my favorite NCC brand. I smoked a J21 Reserva a couple weeks ago that was really good, and they don't break the bank like these 15-25 dollar cigars. They sell boxes online for about $220. Id like to get a box to age for about a year first. The 'handmade' Padron's do well with age on them as well and for the price are a good regular smoke. Hard to be smoking expensive cigars everyday...:p The Padrons like the 3000 run about $125 online per box. Cigars can really mellow out and get rid of that bitterness some have fresh off the shelf with a new box. I wouldn't want to age a NCC more than about 1-2 years though.

Have not had a Liga Privada yet but want to. Buggers sell out so fast and I don't really have the inclination to check online stores every few hours. The Undercrown's I posted pictures of earlier are supposed to be like their baby brother and more readily available. Have had several now and they were pretty good (to me anyways). A lot easier to obtain.

TomF
04-04-12, 13:29
I'm a Maduro guy as well. The RP Edge is a pretty common smoke for me.

I tried an Osa Sol and wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't bad, it just had nothing that jumped out at me as good. It was a pretty light wrapper which I admit I don't usually like, so that may have contributed to it.

RancidSumo
04-04-12, 14:48
if you can't find the Anejo and LP where you are I could get one to you, they are pretty easy to find around here at decent rates (or at least have been lately). Just let me know.

Cigars are so personal its hard to say what someone else would like. I like the regular series Padron's a lot Padron isn't really known for those...mostly the Anniversary series.

A lot of people like Fuente's but they have always seemed bland to me. Opus X to me have been powerful with what Id call a "typical" cigar flavor. Nothing that Id want to smoke often or even pay the going rates for. Have had several from their other lines and they have always been meh. A few decent ones here and there. I would like to try an Anejo, though.

Ive found Tatuaje to be about my favorite NCC brand. I smoked a J21 Reserva a couple weeks ago that was really good, and they don't break the bank like these 15-25 dollar cigars. They sell boxes online for about $220. Id like to get a box to age for about a year first. The 'handmade' Padron's do well with age on them as well and for the price are a good regular smoke. Hard to be smoking expensive cigars everyday...:p The Padrons like the 3000 run about $125 online per box. Cigars can really mellow out and get rid of that bitterness some have fresh off the shelf with a new box. I wouldn't want to age a NCC more than about 1-2 years though.

Have not had a Liga Privada yet but want to. Buggers sell out so fast and I don't really have the inclination to check online stores every few hours. The Undercrown's I posted pictures of earlier are supposed to be like their baby brother and more readily available. Have had several now and they were pretty good (to me anyways). A lot easier to obtain.

madisonsfinest
04-04-12, 15:19
Never really got into Cigars. I tried a number of them back in the day and my mouth always tasted like Ass the next day

Todd.K
04-04-12, 20:36
You could try a pipe, pipe tobacco can be much milder than a cigar and still goes well with whiskey.

cqbdriver
04-05-12, 02:38
I hear that Bill Clinton like Gurkha cigars.

M4Fundi
04-05-12, 12:52
Evidently the Gurkha Cigars require a heavy duty wrapper removal tool or maybe that is just in the Oval Office:p

LHS
04-05-12, 20:51
Picked up two bottles today: Balvenie 14-year Caribbean Cask and Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1. I cracked open the Balvenie as soon as I got home, and it's excellent. Very smooth, definitely a Scotch, but with a little hint of that molasses-y goodness from a fine rum. The flavors blend quite well.

SeriousStudent
04-05-12, 21:01
Today has been an incredibly shitty day. I think I'll get some of that Carribean Cask tomorrow and see if that improves things.

LHS
04-05-12, 21:05
Today has been an incredibly shitty day. I think I'll get some of that Carribean Cask tomorrow and see if that improves things.

It's already improved my day.

ssracer
04-05-12, 21:06
Being born and raised in the bluegrass, I'm a bourbon man myself. One of my current favorites behind my bar for a small nip every now and then is Bookers...129 proof and smooooooth.

Other favorite sippers of mine are Woodford, Makers 46 and Four Roses Single Barrel.

When my Irish side starts kicking in a shot of Jameson or glass of Tulimore Dew do the trick.

LHS
04-05-12, 21:17
Being born and raised in the bluegrass, I'm a bourbon man myself. One of my current favorites behind my bar for a small nip every now and then is Bookers...129 proof and smooooooth.

Other favorite sippers of mine are Woodford, Makers 46 and Four Roses Single Barrel.

When my Irish side starts kicking in a shot of Jameson or glass of Tulimore Dew do the trick.

I just saw that Makers 46 at the liquor store today. How does it compare to standard Makers?

LHS
04-05-12, 21:20
Just tried the White Dog.... WOW. That's some potent popskull. Not sure if I like the flavors, it's very different from an aged bourbon or Scotch, but I'll give it a while to grow on me before I pass judgement.

ssracer
04-05-12, 21:26
I just saw that Makers 46 at the liquor store today. How does it compare to standard Makers?

It is much smoother. For drinking strait I much prefer it to the classic makers.

Belmont31R
04-05-12, 21:31
Todays smoke...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/d7b368bb.jpg

SeriousStudent
04-05-12, 22:30
Just tried the White Dog.... WOW. That's some potent popskull. Not sure if I like the flavors, it's very different from an aged bourbon or Scotch, but I'll give it a while to grow on me before I pass judgement.

It is an acquired taste. I've been drinking undiluted single malt Scotch or Bourbon for many years. The White Dog does mellow a bit after the first few drinks.

rojocorsa
04-06-12, 00:12
I don't know much about the drink--all I've ever really tried is JW Red Label....

But when it comes to tobacco, Rocky Patel, CAO, and Fuentes never routinely disappoint me.

The best cigars I've personally were a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage and a CAO CX2 Toro. Both of them had a fat ring-gauge, and I think I like it. I want to say the RP was over 55 and the CX2 was 60.

RancidSumo
04-14-12, 00:21
It has been a stressful week so tonight after work I decided to unwind with my all time favorite cigar and a glass of Laphroaig Cask Strength on the balcony.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/photo-1.jpg

It didn't disappoint and was so good that I smoked it until it was burning my fingers. Here it is shortly before I gave up on it.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/photo2.jpg

I can't give this smoke or the whisky that went with it a high enough recommendation.

On a different note, I smoked that Tatuaje in post 216 Wednesday afternoon and was less than impressed. I had really high hopes for it and think I'll give it another shot sometime soon. Is there a better Tatuaje I should try?

rojocorsa
04-14-12, 03:52
That Padron looks delicious.

I've tried a "Cabaiguan" churchill (these are one of the "Tatuaje" sister brands) also by Pete Johnson. Though it was my second ever stick, I did not care much for it. I'll take a Rocky Patel over that any day.

LHS
04-14-12, 13:04
I'm going to hit a rum-and-cigar bar tonight with some friends. I know rums fairly well, but I'm a novice with cigars. I have found I like them smaller than most, and with a milder flavor. Pretty much the opposite of my taste in Scotches. So does anyone have a recommendation for a cigar that's the mild equivalent of a Glenlivet 12, as opposed to a Laphroaig 10?

davidjinks
04-14-12, 13:30
Rocky Patel Connecticut 1999

Any type of "Sun grown" cigar (Usually but not always goes well with rums).

La Flor Dominicana Air Bender (Pick one)

You may also like (And is within your range for taste) LFD Colorado Escuro. I personally think this one would go well with a spiced type rum.

I'm going to hit a rum-and-cigar bar tonight with some friends. I know rums fairly well, but I'm a novice with cigars. I have found I like them smaller than most, and with a milder flavor. Pretty much the opposite of my taste in Scotches. So does anyone have a recommendation for a cigar that's the mild equivalent of a Glenlivet 12, as opposed to a Laphroaig 10?

davidjinks
04-14-12, 13:45
I'm a La Flor whore...I'm biased because they have been one of it not the best cigar I've had!

This one me and my brother smoked while playing some chess at our favorite smoke shop:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/davidjinks/cd6c687e.jpg

I did try the OSA Sol by CAO. Very dissapointed. The very start of the smoke I had a lot of hope...citrus, cayenne pepper and this weird after taste of cherries. But that lasted for about 3 minutes. After that it tasted like an old leather baseball glove doused in pepper spray...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/davidjinks/8e564dca.jpg

LHS
04-14-12, 13:53
Rocky Patel Connecticut 1999

Any type of "Sun grown" cigar (Usually but not always goes well with rums).

La Flor Dominicana Air Bender (Pick one)

You may also like (And is within your range for taste) LFD Colorado Escuro. I personally think this one would go well with a spiced type rum.

Thanks!

LHS
04-14-12, 13:56
A ha! The bar has a cigar list online to peruse:

Montecristo Toro
Padron 1964 Principe
Ashton Magnum
Macanudo Hyde Park
Arturo Fuente 858
Romeo Y Julieta Cubana Wavell
Perdomo Cuban Bullet