PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Complete A2 Lower?

ForTehNguyen
02-17-10, 20:52
I am analyzing the weight viability and cost benefit of a possible new setup I want to try. The polymer Cavalry Arms lower claims a full pound less weight than a completed aluminum lower with A2 buttstock. However I cant seem to locate how much one of these would weigh. I really want to crunch the numbers hard to estimate the final weight of the lightweight setup I have theorized.

Daniel Defense said the pencil barrel weighs about 6oz less than a comparable govt profile barrel. Thats part of a theoretical setup also.

fdxpilot
02-18-10, 01:52
You do know that Cavalry is getting out of the actual firearms business and going into accessories, after a lengthy ATF investigation?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=573873&postcount=44

ForTehNguyen
02-18-10, 08:59
yea but I might have located one of these lowers through a private party, even then there are still these lowers on sale at certain websites still

I did some digging and I found some potential numbers online:
A2 Buttstock assembly: 1.61 lbs
Lower receiver with LPK: 1.75 lbs

Lower Receiver with LPK: 1.75 lbs
A2 Buttstock Assembly: 1.61 lbs
Magpul MBUS rear: .1 lbs
Auto BCG: .875 lbs (might use semi BCG to lower weight as much as possible)
BCM Lightweight 16" Upper: 2.245 lbs
Middy handguard: unknown weight so assuming ~2 oz = .125 lbs

I derived the weight estimation of the upper using the following assumptions:
03designs states a BCM M4 upper with Omega X 7.0 as 3 lbs 6.4oz (3.4lbs)
Omega X 7.0 Rail from DDs website states a weight of 9.5oz (.6 lbs)
DD rep in the DD pencil barrel thread has stated that there is a weight savings of 6 oz (.375lbs) on a pencil barrel vs the m4 profile barrel.

So the upper receivers weight would be as follows:
3.4 - .6 - .375 = 2.425 lbs

Total: 6.89, keep in mind this is the estimation for an aluminum lower, so according to Cavalry Arms claim of a full pound less than the equivalent A2 lower, then the final weight estimation is 5.89 lbs I was hopeing it would be in the low 5s for the weight, or would that be unrealistic?

Are these numbers reasonable/accurate? I don't have an accurate enough scale at the house or else I would measure my 20" A2 AR15 lower. Plus I really need the accuracy to estimate the final weight well. Let me know if any weights or assumptions are incorrect. If anyone has parts recommendations to get the weight down even more (without breaking the bank) it would be appreciated as well.