PDA

View Full Version : Now that I got my rifle

tinman44
04-09-07, 19:45
I want to replace the foregrip with maybe a KAC RAS or RIS not sure which I'm supposed to have. Is there anyone who has one of these or knows allot about them that can explain? Whats with free float barrels and how exactly does a LE6920 come standard as far as free float or not?

SuicideHz
04-09-07, 20:12
It doesn't come free float. Not with plastic handguards it won't.

You aren't "supposed" to have either. It's 100% your choice. IIRC both have been found on real M4s if it's authenticity you are looking for.

tinman44
04-09-07, 20:28
well i thought ras was for one type and ris was for another, i know nothing of the differences. as far as the free float i have been reading on these forums allot about it and i think i know how it works but that dosent help me with my decision :( i know i was a kac rail but not sure how i should go about it.

AR-15A3
04-09-07, 21:57
well i thought ras was for one type and ris was for another, i know nothing of the differences. as far as the free float i have been reading on these forums allot about it and i think i know how it works but that dosent help me with my decision :( i know i was a kac rail but not sure how i should go about it.

KAC has two versions of rails, one type is drop in no modification required to the carbine and the second type is the free float rails which require the barrel to be removed and then re-installed again with the free float rails.

I have the drop in KAC M4 RAS same as what they issue to the SOCOM for their M4 carbines, it's for M4 type barrels.

The other type of drop in model is the KAC M4 RIS which are mostly used for lightweight barrels.

The KAC M4 RAS is easy to install, remove the original plastic handguards and install the upper half of the RAS rail and tighten the bracket against the barrel nut, then just install the lower half, instructions are included or could be seen at the Knight's Armament website.

The installation only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. To make installation easier you need another helper to hold the delta ring of the handguards while the other guy drops in the rail.

Another way is, a handguard insrallation tool could be used to hold the delta ring for a one man job.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTD2KSFG2DDOSM.jpg
KAC M4 RAS on my LMT M4 carbine with KAC VFG

jsta5.56shooter
04-10-07, 19:56
hey!!!! where does a fella find that bayonet?????:eek:

AR-15A3
04-10-07, 21:05
hey!!!! where does a fella find that bayonet?????:eek:

It's an extended handle new M7 USGI bayonet to fit 16" carbine gas system barrels, I got it about two years ago from DSG Arms (Forth Worth, TX) but they don't sell them anymore, sorry.

The only available one that I know cost more money than mine and it's a brand new Colt mfg. M7 bayonet with the same extended handle.

Link: PreBanArms.com (http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03)