PDA

View Full Version : S&Ws Piston Gun

mag318
02-17-10, 22:35
I was at my favorite gun shop today and they just got in the new Smith & Wesson M&P15 PS. I have to admit I was impressed with the feel of the gun and it is definately well built. For laughs I compared it to a Ruger 556 and the Ruger was a lot heavier up front, probably due to the Troy quadrail and BUISs. I have an older Eagle Arms DI AR and it is still my favorite AR after many thousands of rounds thru it. But with all the talk about gas piston ARs now I have to admit my interest. S&W has really jumped on the AR bandwagon in a big way and looking at their latest PS carbine I came away impressed. I may just have to buy one.
Anyone here have any experience with one of these yet?

sonrider657
02-18-10, 16:39
It is simply an Adams Arms piston kit installed at the factory.

http://www.adamsarms.net/

Tokarev
02-18-10, 21:02
What was the price? I wouldn't mind adding an M&P to the hoard.

mag318
02-21-10, 12:42
The dealer was asking $1200, but another dealer is offering an LEO price of $1045,not a bad price.

mag318
02-26-10, 02:50
I just pulled the trigger and bought one today. Unfortunately my dealer sold the one I was looking at so I had to order it. It should be here next week hopefully. These are really quality made ARs and if it shoots as good as my standard M&P15 did I'll be very happy.

Tokarev
03-10-10, 07:05
Have you received your new S&W? Have you had a chance to shoot it?

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 10:30
It is simply an Adams Arms piston kit installed at the factory.

http://www.adamsarms.net/

This is incorrect. S&W spent almost a year making changes to it.

C4

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 10:55
Thanks for chiming in. Can you elaborate on the changes? I see the gas block is pinned rather than clamped. What else has been modified? Has S&W done anything internally for carrier tilt?

I really cannot (sorry). Just know that it is not an exact copy of the AA piston system.

C4

Tokarev
03-10-10, 10:55
This is incorrect. S&W spent almost a year making changes to it.

C4

Thanks for chiming in. Can you elaborate on the changes? I see the gas block is pinned rather than clamped. What else has been modified? Has S&W done anything internally for carrier tilt?

mag318
03-10-10, 11:53
I picked up my carbine yesterday. I field stripped it for a thorough cleaning and lubing and what struck me was the build quality of the gun. The machining was flawless and the fit and finish was second to none. Smith & Wesson has really committed to building top shelf ARs. What I really like about this gun is the feel, it's light and not front heavy at all like some piston guns. Both S&W piston system ARs come without sights so now I have to decide which optic to put on it. And as soon as the weather permits I'll make it to the range. When I do I'll post a range report, but if this carbine shoots as good as it looks and feels I'll be very happy.