PDA

View Full Version : Colt - A2 style Pre-Ban 20" rifle. New upper recommendation.

WinSomeLoseNone
02-18-10, 00:14
I own an original Colt A2 pre ban 20" HBAR rifle.. Bought it before the assault weapons ban way back when. From what I understand it is a quality weapon with potential. Being a fixed carry handle rifle I had been interested in getting a new upper so I could mount some optics at an acceptable level for long range shooting.

First, am I correct believing that this is a quality weapon?
second Should I buy a new upper for it and if so, recommend...

Edit* forgot to mention that the pre-ban lower may not fit most post-ban uppers?

newguy
02-18-10, 01:04
Excelent rifle if you want to keep the 20 in barrel which is a great choice for longer range just change the upper reciever carry handle to a flat top upper reciever then you can mount any kind of optic you want

I think I would stick with a COLT upper reciever just to keep it all COLT.

Im not sure about COLTS prices but most upper recievers are around $120.00

I hope this helps you

Caeser25
02-18-10, 07:15
Don't forget to get the right upper receiver with the correct feed ramps, rifle or m4.

LeonCarr
02-18-10, 15:09
Or you can learn to shoot open sights at long range, and win some money from your shooting buddies when you beat them because they think irons won't shoot that far :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

WinSomeLoseNone
02-18-10, 18:20
Or you can learn to shoot open sights at long range, and win some money from your shooting buddies when you beat them because they think irons won't shoot that far :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Haha, I have shot irons out to 300yards which is the max range at my club. I have never had any formal training either so it was all trial and error and experimenting with what worked and didn't I can't Imagine trying to shoot any kind of group at 5 or 600 yards..

Like my marine friend says at those ranges you "use the force"

djegators
02-18-10, 18:37
I have that exact same pre ban Colt 20" HBAR...wouldn't mind selling it to fund other projects, doesn't seem like a good market right now however. Will follow this thread to see what other suggestions come up. Great rifle in my opinion, accurate shooter.

m4forme
02-18-10, 18:37
a preban Colt A2 is a VERY FINE weapon don't do anything to it but shoot it... If you need optics get a ARMS carry handle mount. and a cheek riser... The only way it could be better is if it were a HBAR...

WinSomeLoseNone
02-18-10, 20:28
a preban Colt A2 is a VERY FINE weapon don't do anything to it but shoot it... If you need optics get a ARMS carry handle mount. and a cheek riser... The only way it could be better is if it were a HBAR...

It is an HBAR.. Never fired and well maintained. Purchased new.

SN# SP2 (ar-15 sporter) made between 1972 and 73. Perfect condition in box, manual and all.

I'll set it up for RIBZ and use it as my dedicated irons rifle.

djegators
02-18-10, 20:49
It is an HBAR.. Never fired and well maintained. Purchased new.

SN# SP2 (ar-15 sporter) made between 1972 and 73. Perfect condition in box, manual and all.

I'll set it up for RIBZ and use it as my dedicated irons rifle.

OK, mine is not the exact same model...mine was made early '90s. Sounds like a sweet rifle, but why never fired in all this time??

WinSomeLoseNone
02-18-10, 20:51
OK, mine is not the exact same model...mine was made early '90s. Sounds like a sweet rifle, but why never fired in all this time??

No Reason.. Just sort of bought and stored..

Wonder if it is any more or less valuable due to it's age..

LeonCarr
02-18-10, 22:03
One of many that has gotten away over the years was a Colt 6601 blue label 20" HBAR. I was pleasantly surprised one day when I shot a 4 inch 5 shot group at 300 yards from prone with Federal Gold Medal 69 grain BTHPs, with irons. I know a good service rifle shooter can beat that on his/her worst day, but I didn't complain.

I know a few Marines, and they talk about shooting at 500 meters with irons. Said the target looks basically like a speck on top of the front sight.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr