PDA

View Full Version : EJECTOR- VS- EXTRACTOR

newguy
02-18-10, 02:12
Is it possible for the extractor to have so much spring tension with 5 coil spring black insert & o-ring that the ejector cant push live round or empty case away from extractor.

I just put extractor upgrade kit in new chrome bolt and thats what happend to me.

It worked fine with reg spring black insert and o-ring.

Ejector spring tension seems to be good & strong.

Has this happened to anyone else?

PLEASE HELP AND SUPPLY INFO.

THANK YOU

Blankwaffe
02-18-10, 03:37
Use your search Fu.There are tons of threads on the subject.
Here is a sample:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8394&highlight=extractor+tension%2A

When using the BCM extractor springs the o-ring is not needed as they are very robust.
HTH

newguy
02-18-10, 04:02
Thanks for your help & info

arizonaranchman
02-18-10, 06:31
AR15barrels,

"You are confusing early extraction coupled with extraction upgrades (which does rip off rims) as having something to do with extractor tension.
The timing is the problem, not the extractor tension.
The extractor tension is just the "easy" fix for extraction timing problems."

The above quote is from the link above but that thread is well over 2 yrs old so I'm quoting it in this thread to ask about the "timing" he speaks of.

Can someone explain this "timing"? I'm very interested in this - great thread by the way and thanks to all for the vast wealth of information this site has!

C4IGrant
02-18-10, 07:14
Is it possible for the extractor to have so much spring tension with 5 coil spring black insert & o-ring that the ejector cant push live round or empty case away from extractor.

I just put extractor upgrade kit in new chrome bolt and thats what happend to me.

It worked fine with reg spring black insert and o-ring.

Ejector spring tension seems to be good & strong.

Has this happened to anyone else?

PLEASE HELP AND SUPPLY INFO.

THANK YOU

Yes. IMHO, if you are using a 5 coil spring, there is no need for the O-Ring (especially on a gun with a middy or rifle length gas system).

C4