PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. Hear from the "Experts"

CaptainDooley
02-18-10, 12:09
Just got a gunbroker newsletter with this gem in it.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1541138791?bclid=1527680698&bctid=51377350001

mr_smiles
02-18-10, 12:21
Bird shot... Bird shot!! LMAO and I don't choose a gun on fear factor, that's why all my guns sport hello kitty stickers.

John_Wayne777
02-18-10, 12:42
Let's not be too harsh, gentlemen. Everyone doesn't have access to the caliber of information that is common knowledge on M4C. Everyone doesn't have the input of our SME's and IP's and our many experienced, well trained members to guide them.

There was a reason why the only thing I really paid much attention to in the American Handgunner magazine was the Hackathorn column for all those years. ;)

Fontaine
02-18-10, 15:37
I can't believe these people are paid to talk about "Guns & Ammo"

ChicagoTex
02-18-10, 17:02
I've found G&A to be among the worst offenders when it comes to gun 'riters who deem themselves to be experts on everything who clearly don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

This only serves to reinforce that impression.

Safetyhit
02-18-10, 17:12
"Somebody might think it's a rimfire and..."

:rolleyes:

DacoRoman
02-18-10, 20:10
I like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJDIe6eUsA&feature=related) "expert" much better, I mean, how can you argue with that "Knockdown Power" chart :D

JonnyVain
02-18-10, 20:19
Well if everyone had Saiga 12s for home defense, that would solve all of their issues.:D

John_Wayne777
02-18-10, 20:35
"Somebody might think it's a rimfire and..."

:rolleyes:

...and if he's stupid enough to think that I can't mess him up with a 10/22 then I hope he's got excellent insurance.

lethal dose
02-18-10, 20:39
Someone fill me in.. apparently android software is incompatible with adobe flash.

SeriousStudent
02-18-10, 20:43
I would truly enjoy watching Mr. Metcalf take a class from some of the trainers here. The resultant zingers, quips, and one-liners would be quite epic.

In the words of Monty Burns, "Hi-larious!"

Just think of the AAR - chortle...... :D

m4fun
02-18-10, 20:59
Arg - stop the insanity!

Belmont31R
02-18-10, 21:01
This is what happens when fudds try to expound on a division of the shooting community they know little to nothing about.

Mr. Alcoholic on the right needs to do some actual "wall board" tests. "Bird shot"? There's a reason its called bird shot and not large mammal shot.

A-Bear680
02-18-10, 21:36
You won't get any argument from me and ( not but ) the funny thing is:
Those two guys can flip people whom we could never even touch . Those old Fudds can talk the talk , they know the Fudd customs , they can eat the food , they have the connections. What they say -- and do -- might not be all bad -- if it makes things just a little better in the long run.
Turkey shot beats begging for mercy. A cheap-ass mouse gun can at least leave a mark.
A vote is a vote and it takes votes to win.
FWIW & YMMV

lethal dose
02-18-10, 21:44
Someone fill me in... I can't see anything when i visit the link.

Volucris
02-18-10, 21:57
Figurehead morons that co-host American Rifleman and other NRA-secreted firearms programs and magazines form baseless arguments against each other over the pros and cons of using a rifle vs a shotgun for home defense. Goofy bald guy takes the side of the rifle which in this case is a Ruger Mini-14 proudly sporting some Hornady ammunition from their obnoxiously advertised sponsor. Fat ass walrus takes the side of the shotgun and sits there looking at it as if it's cake with a complementary box of target load (birdshot) that he probably thinks is full of chocolate and gummy bears. Vulture birdman argues that the rifle has fast expanding ammo and he likes it so it's good and then agrees to everything walrus says. Walrus said the shotgun is scary and that the Ruger might appear as a rimfire to a stereotypical crackhead who's violently raping your children and dog while stealing your HDTV as you try to stop him. He continues to add that using birdshot would keep over penetration from becoming a problem because you don't want to kill your dog as it's being raped. Subtly he dismisses the entire notion of using buckshot and once again the walrus and birdman debate team is put back in their box for another pointless debate on some other day.

I really enjoyed writing that. I hate that show. The old cowboy cop though is pretty bad ass when on the range. But he's incapable of being a host for anything.

DacoRoman
02-18-10, 22:21
Figurehead morons that co-host American Rifleman and other NRA-secreted firearms programs and magazines form baseless arguments against each other over the pros and cons of using a rifle vs a shotgun for home defense. Goofy bald guy takes the side of the rifle which in this case is a Ruger Mini-14 proudly sporting some Hornady ammunition from their obnoxiously advertised sponsor. Fat ass walrus takes the side of the shotgun and sits there looking at it as if it's cake with a complementary box of target load (birdshot) that he probably thinks is full of chocolate and gummy bears. Vulture birdman argues that the rifle has fast expanding ammo and he likes it so it's good and then agrees to everything walrus says. Walrus said the shotgun is scary and that the Ruger might appear as a rimfire to a stereotypical crackhead who's violently raping your children and dog while stealing your HDTV as you try to stop him. He continues to add that using birdshot would keep over penetration from becoming a problem because you don't want to kill your dog as it's being raped. Subtly he dismisses the entire notion of using buckshot and once again the walrus and birdman debate team is put back in their box for another pointless debate on some other day.

I really enjoyed writing that. I hate that show. The old cowboy cop though is pretty bad ass when on the range. But he's incapable of being a host for anything.

That's pretty good writing. It sort of has like a Beatle beatnick tactical vibe.

But those types of shows are little more (I mean real little) than an extended commercial for various ammo and gun manufacturers, they are actually quite annoying and those Dufus Debates are pathetic.

ChicagoTex
02-18-10, 22:23
There was an argument made in favor of the .223 (Mini-14) that other family members who aren't you might have trouble managing the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun.

While this argument has merit, these fudds seemed to honestly believe there was no such thing as a non-12 gauge shotgun.

In the past year, I've had two completely seperate smallish women with minimal firearms experience ask me for a recommendation for a home defense gun. My recommendation both times was a 20 gauge pump.

Don Robison
02-18-10, 22:26
Birdshot works for some things.:D

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/groin-25846-navarre-shot.html

Angry father shoots man in groin, uses 'The Judge' (ARREST REPORT, MUG)
Comments 98 | Recommend 5
February 16, 2010 11:25 AM
Angel McCurdy
Daily News

NAVARRE – A 48-year-old Navarre man accused of shooting a man in the scrotum and inner thigh area was arrested Monday on charges of aggravated battery.

A Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office deputy investigating a noise complaint near Ridge Drive heard people screaming and saw a male and a female running toward him. The victim, Randall Carter, who was bleeding from the groin area, screamed that he’d been shot.

The woman, Amanda Kelly, told the deputy that her father, William Russell Kelly Jr., had shot the victim because “he hates him, dude.”

When deputies located the father, he admitted shooting the younger man at his Ridge Drive home.

“I shot him in the nuts with bird-shot because he was beating my daughter,” Kelly said, according to his arrest report.

He was found with a weapon, a silver Taurus .45-caliber revolver known as “The Judge.” All five chambers had been loaded, with only one shot fired, the deputy wrote. Three were filled with bird-shot and the fourth with lead.

Kelly, who works on Eglin Air Force Base, was charged with aggravated battery causing bodily harm or disability, which is a second degree felony.

He was released on a $20,000 bond Monday afternoon after his arrest.

decodeddiesel
02-18-10, 22:28
Dear God. :rolleyes:

decodeddiesel
02-18-10, 22:30
Have you guys watched some of the other videos?

Epic.

SeriousStudent
02-18-10, 22:35
Have you guys watched some of the other videos?

Epic.

No.

I just bought a 27" monitor, and would hate to test the warranty by punching it.

lethal dose
02-18-10, 23:20

I thoroughly enjoyed your interpretation. From now on, I will click on no links and request your unearthly playwright skills to provide utterly vivid mental imagery. :) although I use birdshot in my HD shotgun, I know exactly what kind of creatures you describe. Pathetic.

Volucris
02-18-10, 23:38
I'm glad I could entertain. If I didn't enjoy the thought of a future where I made money I would go to school for journalism but who wants to be the only guy at Subway with a masters degree in English?

lethal dose
02-19-10, 08:15
I'm glad I could entertain. If I didn't enjoy the thought of a future where I made money I would go to school for journalism but who wants to be the only guy at Subway with a masters degree in English?
Right.

Abraxas
02-19-10, 08:25

I have to say that this is some of your best work yet.

KellyTTE
02-19-10, 09:39
I have to say that this is some of your best work yet.

Agreed:

http://images.tmuscle.com/forum_images/8/8/883a7-clap.gif

Ned Christiansen
02-19-10, 11:45
Man, this is a tough crowd:eek: !

I didn't see anything that heinous..... I mean different folks have different opinions on stuff........ that's allowed in my book. Everybody's base of reference and level of experience is different. There are many different plateaus of knowledge on this stuff, and I'll grant you that what comes out of the gun press may not always necessarily be the one real truth, but again-- bases of reference will vary. Nobody, not even a gunwriter, has seen and done, and knows it all.

I'll also grant you that the gun industry and the gun press do a certain amount of mutual backscratching. That's just how things are-- talk about a symbiotic relationship. If that relationship was severed they'd both suffer, and then the suffering would trickle down to us.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with us busting their balls a little-- it's called "letting them know what we think".

I watched several of those vids. I would not call Mas Ayoob a close friend but we are acquainted. I'll just say I think he has improved with age. Thought he had a very smooth confidence about him. In recent years I've really enjoyed his "Ayoob Files" in American Handgunner, especially his studies of some of the famous old gunfights.

Now, the one with Sweeney and TGO shooting the Springfield EMP-- well first let me say Patrick and I are pals but before we were pals I came to know him as a shooting MoFo who could trounce me most of the time and many of the professionals much of the time. I don't want to diminish his or my credibility by gushing here, but here is one gunwriter who knows guns and shooting from every angle. Patrick can shoot anything really well, take it apart and fix it, explain it and take great pics of it. We work together on the range several weeks a year..... there's always a little friendly competition going on, an exchange of ideas, info, and contacts, and a mutual quest for more truth.

So, all that said-- check that one out with the EMP. HTF Sweeney can shoot that little beast with both eyes open and unblinking is beyond me, unless it's just that the camera is not catching it....?.

A-Bear680
02-20-10, 08:32
Birdshot works for some things.:D

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/groin-25846-navarre-shot.html

A Jerry Springer Show mission needs a Jerry Springer Show tool.

:)