PDA

View Full Version : m4 feed ramps on a middy

elkknuckle
02-18-10, 14:48
I was just browsing through threads to try to learn more, are the M4 feed ramps "necessary" to have on a mid-length gas rifle, or not? Couldn't find anything for or against on the other threads I saw here. Thanks.

ForTehNguyen
02-18-10, 14:50
you dont need need it they were designed for the high cyclic rate of the M4 carbine gas system, but for the most part they come with it now. Don't let it deal break anything if something you were interested in doesnt have it.

C4IGrant
02-18-10, 14:59
I was just browsing through threads to try to learn more, are the M4 feed ramps "necessary" to have on a mid-length gas rifle, or not? Couldn't find anything for or against on the other threads I saw here. Thanks.

M4 feed ramps were designed to assist with the feeding of the last few rounds of a mag fired via FA. From what I have seen and know (looking at high speed video of rounds feeding into an AR), 55gr ammo generally never has any issues. When you get into longer bullets (62 and above) the cuts in the receiver CAN come into play.

There is also another variable in all of this. It is the invention of anti-tilt followers. These have basically eliminated the need for M4 feed ramps IMHO.

Now with that said, I always prefer to have the M4 feed ramps. Why? Because I typically shoot heavy grain ammo and might not always have access to mags with anti-tilt followers.

C4

elkknuckle
02-18-10, 17:56
Thanks for the info guys.