PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the book "One Second After"?

jhs1969
02-18-10, 15:08
Any thoughts? It did not really show me anything new as far as how an EMP would effect electronics. It did make me reconsider how we, as a "civilized" people, would be effected and how deeply and far reaching it would go. Check it out, it was something of an eye opener.

GermanSynergy
02-18-10, 16:16
There was a segment on the Savage Nation the other night discussing EMP attacks and how vulnerable we are to them. I'll check out the book. Thanks for the heads up.

Naxet1959
02-18-10, 17:25
I happened to see this at the library under the "limited loan" section and checked it out. I was done in 2 days, hard to put down. Some very sad parts but also eye opening...

jhs1969
02-18-10, 22:02
There was a segment on the Savage Nation the other night discussing EMP attacks and how vulnerable we are to them. I'll check out the book. Thanks for the heads up.

I've seen Glen Beck bring it up a few times but never in depth. When I read a book I normally read 5-10 pages a day, this one I read in 2 days. We have been preparing for the worst for about 5-6 years now but with limited funds (very limited recently), we have not got done as much as I would like. After reading this book we have re-priortized some of our plans. What really scares me the most is being in the eastern half of the US, too many people and not enough food. Although I have been quite familar with EMP and it's effects this book still had a very shocking effect.

Naxet1959
I happened to see this at the library under the "limited loan" section and checked it out. I was done in 2 days, hard to put down. Some very sad parts but also eye opening...

Even though we (many of us on this forum) have somewhat of an idea how bad things COULD get, I think any human would be shocked to see how deep and dark humanity can go. Let's pray it never happens, but my wife and I have gotten a rekindled drive for further preprations.

03humpalot
02-19-10, 18:10
Said book just arrived on the big brown truck,looking forward to cracking it open this evening. On the subject of EMP, thats one of the more frustrating subjects as far as preps go...no one seems to have a handle on just what to expect.

Half of the people seem to think that everything in the world is going to fry, the other half think its an overhyped concept with no tangible real world info to back up the other halfs claims.

To put this dilemma to rest i put forth the motion that we EMP Iran and conduct studies;)

jhs1969
02-20-10, 00:21
Said book just arrived on the big brown truck,looking forward to cracking it open this evening. On the subject of EMP, thats one of the more frustrating subjects as far as preps go...no one seems to have a handle on just what to expect.

Half of the people seem to think that everything in the world is going to fry, the other half think its an overhyped concept with no tangible real world info to back up the other halfs claims.

To put this dilemma to rest i put forth the motion that we EMP Iran and conduct studies;)

:DLOL:D

I second this studies motion:cool:

I think you for one will really enjoy this book (so to speak). I've seen a few reports on the effects of EMP and old Mac on FUTURE WEAPONS drove a car through an EMP emitter on one of his shows. Power windows still work, head lights still worked, the ECU was fried, car was dead. I've heard many times that anything with circurt boards is done for. I personally consider this a major threat and with todays reports that Iran is closer to developing nukes than previously thought, my pucker factor just went up a notch. Who knows for sure? Let us know what you think of the book, I could not put it down and finished it in two days (something I never do). Happy reading.

tpd223
02-22-10, 01:04
I'd just like to know if my Aimpoint and Gladius are going to be fried, if not I'm good.

ffhounddog
02-22-10, 06:31
This is why I leave some of my M4's in the safe with aimpoints off.

The biggest issue is items that are on or items that have continuous power going to them like your car.

I just leave one Aimpoint on and that is the one in the bedroom for that just in case situation.

ffh

jhs1969
02-22-10, 10:56
I've also wondered about my Aimpoint and in fact am looking for a non-battery optic on my new M4.

I'm not sure simply leaving your Aimpoint turned off would protect it or not. I would like to think so but I'm a little worried it would still get cooked. I would love to see more studies and effects of EMP's.

Joe_Friday
02-22-10, 17:29
I read it a while back and thought it was great. Ya'll are difintely right though, you cannot put it down. I knew a little, and I stress a little, about EMPs before this book, but after reading I really researched it a lot more and found it very interesting to say the least. Did not see anything on Aimpoints or the like though. There were a lot of things in there that I would never have thought of.

Not on EMPs but two other good reads are, Alas Babylon and Lucifers Hammer. There used to be a book thread on here somewhere but I cant seem to find it right now.

03humpalot
02-23-10, 14:47
An interesting read to say the least,couldnt put it down.

I need to brush up on my gardening skills,and stock more corn/salt for attracting critters thats for sure. I found it a very good read and made me identify some gaps in my preparations to date.

Im a single guy in the rockies with no immediate family nearby, curently im good to go for a little over a year food wise, in good health and with a core group of about 20 people i can rely on should the zombie apocalypse occur.

Most red meat eating American males think they will be fine, and perhaps they will should shit go sidewise. If you have never gone more than a few weeks without food you cant appreciate exactly how that affects you and your ability to carry out daily tasks that are crucial to survival. Having been there myself (when i was 21 and in killer shape no less) the book really drove home how much that experience sucked ass and the fact that i dont care to ever experience that again. Ranger school and Marine Corps mountain survival course grads know what im talking about.

I live in a fairly geographically isolated area that doesnt produce much grain/corn etc so thats something im going to do some research on this year. We have a healthy wild game population and low human population but that would be rapidly reversed when the locals start getting hungry.

While my life would be fairly normal even with an EMP scenario wiping everything out, the major issue for me would be it wiping out my transpo and ability to bug out via vehicle if needed and thats something i need to address.

This book realy stressed (to me at least) the need to be more self sufficient and to NEVER allow yourself to become a refugee like the folks living in that town in the book.

I suggest picking this book up if you have not already done so, good thought provoking read.

jhs1969
02-23-10, 16:08
An interesting read to say the least,couldnt put it down.

I need to brush up on my gardening skills,and stock more corn/salt for attracting critters thats for sure. I found it a very good read and made me identify some gaps in my preparations to date.

Im a single guy in the rockies with no immediate family nearby, curently im good to go for a little over a year food wise, in good health and with a core group of about 20 people i can rely on should the zombie apocalypse occur.

Most red meat eating American males think they will be fine, and perhaps they will should shit go sidewise. If you have never gone more than a few weeks without food you cant appreciate exactly how that affects you and your ability to carry out daily tasks that are crucial to survival. Having been there myself (when i was 21 and in killer shape no less) the book really drove home how much that experience sucked ass and the fact that i dont care to ever experience that again. Ranger school and Marine Corps mountain survival course grads know what im talking about.

I live in a fairly geographically isolated area that doesnt produce much grain/corn etc so thats something im going to do some research on this year. We have a healthy wild game population and low human population but that would be rapidly reversed when the locals start getting hungry.

While my life would be fairly normal even with an EMP scenario wiping everything out, the major issue for me would be it wiping out my transpo and ability to bug out via vehicle if needed and thats something i need to address.

This book realy stressed (to me at least) the need to be more self sufficient and to NEVER allow yourself to become a refugee like the folks living in that town in the book.

I suggest picking this book up if you have not already done so, good thought provoking read.

I agree, it was very thought provoking. We did not find anything we had not considered, except for the reaction of a large population that no longer had incoming food and medical supplies. We had, and are still, considering a move to Texas for employment reasons. This book also made us look at such a move from a food availability stand point as well. We are in a situation to decide what vehicle to get next. If we do try a move half way across the nation then I am looking at a motorcycle to make the trip less expensive until we can get settled into a new location. If we stay here then I have considered an older 4x4 that can be converted to operate post EMP by changing to a carburator and points distributer. And we have no began to buy dried beans and rice for storage reasons. Again, very good book, will make you think.

dctag
02-23-10, 18:48
I thought that it was a great book. It gives a relatively realistic view of what would/could happen. The general timeline was excellent with insulin and other meds running low and the consequences that follow. I dont think too many college students would arm up as easily as the one in the book but aside from that I thought that it was relatively feasible.

I really liked the book because it fills a gap in my reading of books that are either the end of the world light or end of the world heavy. No one wants to live in a world as described in "The Road" but "Alas Babylon" made it seem a bit too simple. I have gotten several fence sitters to read One Second After and a few have come over the fence to the idea that being at least modestly prepared is a good idea because bad things can and do happen. Anything from something as mild as Katrina to something as bad as The Road can happen to any country a lot faster than most people think.

Eddiesketti
02-24-10, 20:39
I read this book recently after reading these very postings. I enjoyed the book and there were a few times where i was excited at what was to happen next. It reminded me of the TV show Jericho.

Warhawk
02-24-10, 23:34
I read it recently, trying to get my wife to read it, but there isn't enough "romance" in it to keep her interest :)

My Air Force training was in Avionics, so I have some background there. My father was a Boeing engineer and was involved in some EMP tests where they detonated a large quantity of conventional explosives to simulate EMP from a nuclear weapon. He couldn't say too much about it, the testing was done to gauge the effect of EMP on aircraft systems, and it turned out to be a very big problem.

Back to the book, the authors thoughts agreed with mine about 90% of the time.

Eddiesketti
02-24-10, 23:40
If something is not connected to the electrical system and powered on, can it still be destroyed? If i had a car in a garage with no battery hooked to it... Maybe a radio in my closet unopened?

Warhawk
02-26-10, 17:41
If something is not connected to the electrical system and powered on, can it still be destroyed? If i had a car in a garage with no battery hooked to it... Maybe a radio in my closet unopened?

The EMP pulse provides it's own energy, and it doesn't take much to destroy a microchip.

jhs1969
02-26-10, 22:47
Here are some links on EMP;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/nuclear/empprotection.htm

http://www.endtimesreport.com/EMP.html

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

vetsvette
02-28-10, 06:26
The EMP pulse provides it's own energy, and it doesn't take much to destroy a microchip.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The only way to protect microchip based equipment is to intercept the pulse and send it to ground before it reaches said equipment.

Eddiesketti
02-28-10, 21:52
My understanding of EMP's is that you would need a massive nuke or multiple to wipe out everything. A solar flare could easily do it though.

I was referring to secured equipment in lead or underground fortified areas.

thunderinms
03-02-10, 12:24
I have not read it yet. I am a big fan of Rawles, but I plan on getting OSA and Rawles' new TEOTWAWKI book soon. Maybe my Birthday present?

Tom Swift
03-04-10, 23:58
It's opened up the eyes of my Grandmother and Mother both rethinking about what is necessary for survival and the importance of being able to defend one self and family from many attackers. I haven't had the chance to read if yet once I figure once I pick it up I won't be able to stop as thats what happened with my Mother and Grandmother when they read it.

The book obviously is reality based and clearly is realistic to convince skeptical fence sitters about potential SHTF scenarios.

Motel Bravo
03-07-10, 21:43
Made me think about some of the uglier aspects of post SHTF that i would rather have not thought about.

Made me realize Society and Civility are just illusions created by everyday needs being met by any all merchndizers within walking or driving distance, and if people get desperate enough they will do anything for mere reminders of what used to be or somethign they need that you have.

Made me want to get more ammo as may have to "Dirt Nap" more former friends and neighbors than i thought if SHTF. Not by choice but by neccesity.

I will lose my parents as they are on heart meds that can't be stockpiled without prescriptions etc.I will also lose two of my nieces that are severe asthmatics.:(

Motel Bravo
03-07-10, 21:49
BTW, as for the Holographic sights being fried....

Thats why my Ar's both have the A1 and A2 iron sights and are not flatops dependent on such high tech gizmos. I though about SHTF, and lack of batteries and if they get broke etc. and just stayed with the old Iron sights with a holograpic on a drop mou8nt from the carry handles co-witnessed to the irons.

I can alwasy take a dead or broke holo sight off and still have my original irons.

jhs1969
03-08-10, 20:01
BTW, as for the Holographic sights being fried....

Thats why my Ar's both have the A1 and A2 iron sights and are not flatops dependent on such high tech gizmos. I though about SHTF, and lack of batteries and if they get broke etc. and just stayed with the old Iron sights with a holograpic on a drop mou8nt from the carry handles co-witnessed to the irons.

I can alwasy take a dead or broke holo sight off and still have my original irons.

I can see your point, but I just can't give up the advantages an Aimpoint gives. However, I do have a Troy BUIS, and an A2 carry handle and next will add a LMT fixed BUIS. I want to keep my Aimpoints but also have something to fall back on.

Tom Swift
03-08-10, 22:00
Good chances that something as small as a EOtech or Aimpoint will not be affected by any sort of EMP. You can also get non electronic sights and it definitely makes something like an ACOG.

mean sartin
03-10-10, 06:58
My understanding of EMP's is that you would need a massive nuke or multiple to wipe out everything. A solar flare could easily do it though.

I was referring to secured equipment in lead or underground fortified areas.

Won't a Faraday Cage/Room defeat EMP?

NavyDavy55
03-20-10, 16:57
It was a great book and well written.

Now I'm reading the book titled Last Light. Set in England by a British author. Good read so far, I'm about half way through it.

Another good book is The Collapse by Jeff Stanfield. Published byauthorhouse. ISBN 1-4259-1455-1

Alex V
03-22-10, 14:55
I'd just like to know if my Aimpoint and Gladius are going to be fried, if not I'm good.

I was wondering the same exact thing.

Just finished reading it while on vacation this past week. Great book IMHO, but not something I should have been reading on a sunny beach in the Dominican Republic lol. Parts of it were a bit tough to swallow, but all plausable in the situation the book was set in.

Makes me really sad to think we could all be reduced to such things. Also makes me hope it never happens because right now, there is no way anyone I know would be prepared for it.

Lee Indy
03-22-10, 15:02
i wanna read this any one wanna lend a copy?