PDA

View Full Version : PMAG sale w/ free shipping*. A day late, too good to be true.

SW-Shooter
02-18-10, 18:38
http://www.ambientsw.com/mainma30stpm.html

Just ordered enough to get free shipping, hurry while it lasts. *Newest M version and free shipping with purchase of 5.

markdh720
02-18-10, 19:25
They don't ship to Chicago? WTF! Go figure. That's a strangely particular no-shipping list.

RIDE
02-18-10, 19:38
great deal! I ordered as well. Thank you!!!

siucowboy
02-18-10, 19:47
Never heard of them before but I gave it a shot as well...

JonnyVain
02-18-10, 19:56
They don't ship to Chicago? WTF! Go figure. That's a strangely particular no-shipping list.

No shipping to Toledo? :confused:

That IS a weird list.

Great price though. Have them ship it to a friend who is in a suburb or something.

I emailed to ask about the shipping list.

chadbag
02-18-10, 20:47
They are probably overstocked and just trying to dump inventory. That is under the normal dealer cost for MAG210 windowed PMAGs.

Sone
02-18-10, 21:01
wish they had Foliage green at that price

drivingforce77
02-18-10, 21:09
wish they had Foliage green at that price

I second that.

ChicagoTex
02-18-10, 22:03
I was initially skittish because I've never heard of these guys either, but apparently they've been selling as Ambient Weather since '06 with full BBB accreditation (look up Ambient, LLC) and good ratings (B+).

I took the risk and ordered up my 5, will follow-up when they arrive.

Note that this offer is available for black, FDE, and OD green at this time, all with the maglevel window - it is, however, unclear if you can mix and match. I decided not to try it.

ETA: Huge thanks for linking us SW-Shooter. This is a smokin' deal.

JonnyVain
02-19-10, 08:25
No shipping to Toledo? :confused:

That IS a weird list.

Great price though. Have them ship it to a friend who is in a suburb or something.

I emailed to ask about the shipping list.

There are local laws in Toledo and probably Chicago limiting to either 10, 15, or 20 rounds. In Ohio, state laws preempt local, so our limit is 30. I emailed him to look into that. (Thanks Steve at ADCO for the info)

Edit: I looked into it some more. I find it odd how Ambient won't ship to Toledo, saying they could get a $150,000 fine, but DSG says on their site that it is the customer's responsibility to abide by local laws.

Ohio Bill 347 section 9.86(A) has the law - http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=126_HB_347

bundoc
02-19-10, 13:17
I tried to place an order and they are not currently offering the special anymore.

Here is my error message:
Magpul Industries MAG210 30RD Standard PMAG for use with the AR-15 / M-16 - MAG210-BLK - BLACK with Maglevel Window - BUY 5 and Get FREE UPS is no longer available for purchase.

markdh720
02-19-10, 13:30
What about the FDE or OD? Sadly, this was not an opportunity I could take advantage at this time.

Rated21R
02-19-10, 14:32
good thing i ordered when i did.

SW-Shooter
02-19-10, 14:53
I just received a call from them stating they oversold the black PMAGs, I had the opportunity for them to substitute for OD mags, but I declined. They actually have pretty darned good customer service, most companies wouldn't bother calling. I'm bummed.

uwe1
02-19-10, 15:13
I just got an email saying that they were oversold and on backorder from the manufacturer. My order had been cancelled.

dmancornell
02-19-10, 17:38
email, my order has been canceled. no big deal, i took advantage of the 10-pack FG pmags earlier for $99.

InfiniteGrim
02-19-10, 17:53
FYI:

Magpul called Ambient and threatened them that the price was too low, and if they continued to sell that low they would loose their right t o sell magpul products.

LINK (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=484387)

I have the same name on ar15.com, apparently i wasnt allowed to badmouth an industry partner since they locked the thread.

I ordered early yersterday, and called today to add more pmags, the lady on the phone did, if they were backordered that would have popped up on her screen, but it didnt. She told me they were goign to ship out around 4pm today but then my orer was canceled an hour later.

Thanks Magppul. Would have been my first pmags, but im done with magpul after this stunt, i like my lancer L5's I guess i will stock up on them.

spamsammich
02-19-10, 18:06
FYI:

Magpul called Ambient and threatened them that the price was too low, and if they continued to sell that low they would loose their right t o sell magpul products.

LINK (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=484387)

I have the same name on ar15.com, apparently i wasnt allowed to badmouth an industry partner since they locked the thread.

I ordered early yersterday, and called today to add more pmags, the lady on the phone did, if they were backordered that would have popped up on her screen, but it didnt. She told me they were goign to ship out around 4pm today but then my orer was canceled an hour later.

Thanks Magppul. Would have been my first pmags, but im done with magpul after this stunt, i like my lancer L5's I guess i will stock up on them.

Hey buddy, MAP is a standard practice in this industry. This is an agreed upon practice. For instance, nobody is protesting Dillon because they ask all of their retailers to sell their presses at the same price. In my opinion, you are being unreasonable.

crob1
02-19-10, 18:15
So what price were they being sold for at the link? I just ordered some black PMAGS with the window from Bravo Company for $17.10 ea.

chadbag
02-19-10, 18:24

Just FYI: Lancer has MAP pricing as well and are more per piece than the windowed PMAGs

InfiniteGrim
02-19-10, 18:34
Just FYI: Lancer has MAP pricing as well and are more per piece than the windowed PMAGs

Actually Ambient arms has the lancers for $14.99, and i dont see Lancer getting their panties in a bunch and going after them

Archer78
02-19-10, 18:53

Archer78
02-19-10, 19:01
There are local laws in Toledo and probably Chicago limiting to either 10, 15, or 20 rounds. In Ohio, state laws preempt local, so our limit is 30. I emailed him to look into that. (Thanks Steve at ADCO for the info)

Edit: I looked into it some more. I find it odd how Ambient won't ship to Toledo, saying they could get a $150,000 fine, but DSG says on their site that it is the customer's responsibility to abide by local laws.

Ohio Bill 347 section 9.86(A) has the law - http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=126_HB_347

I agree, its weird, and how would it be their fault if WE the people of Ohio choose to order whatever. It doesn't make sense that they cant ship to Toledo, but they can ship to sylvania? Cant be a round issue unless its ok to purchase 30rd mags at clelands and not order them. Have ya had any other issues with other companies?

chadbag
02-19-10, 19:17
Actually Ambient arms has the lancers for $14.99, and i dont see Lancer getting their panties in a bunch and going after them

Not yet

chadbag
02-19-10, 22:31

If a company has a MAP policy, they better enforce it. I am not speaking to whether a MAP policy makes sense. But if it exists it better be enforced. It is not fair to the honest dealers who abide by the rule to have to compete with those who are dishonest and do not abide by the MAP policies the manufacturer sets.

ChicagoTex
02-19-10, 22:39
I didn't receive an email saying my order was canceled (nor did I receive an email saying I had an order to begin with) but my credit card continues to go uncharged, so I assume I've been canceled like everyone else.

As to the MAP issue, I don't blame Magpul for enforcing MAP. I was not aware an MAP violation was occurring when I placed my order, otherwise I'm not sure I would've.

Oh well...

ambientweather
02-20-10, 11:19
Greetings,

This is Ed from Ambient Outdoors. I wanted to clarify a few things.

1. The reason for the sale is that we overbought after the election. We flew under the radar for awhile, until there was a post on a message board and then the sale went "viral". We have since sold out and removed them from the website.

2. We did oversell the units, which we try to avoid. We have an active inventory management system. For some reason, the inventory manager was down and continued to allow orders to go through. We tried to reach out to everyone. Again, it was a technical glitch and I apologize for the inconvenience.

3. We were not aware of MagPul's MAP policy. We purchase the magazines through a distributor, and there was no notification of a MAP policy. We were contacted by a very nice rep at MagPul and they requested we either price the products at MAP or note on the product page that they are a clearance sale, which we will add to the description this weekend. They did not threaten us in any way.

4. MAP policies are important to protect dealers against price deterioration. That being said, we noticed that their largest dealer linked directly from the MagPul website was violating their own MAP policy. We were told that this was due to an overproduction or overstock sale, which was exactly the same situation for Ambient Outdoors. They are looking into the issue. However, I want to point out that we priced these at cost to clear out inventory as well.

5. All of the MagPul Mags were removed from the website because we sold out. There is no other reason. They will return as soon as we receive new inventory and will return to MAP pricing.

6. One of the boxes included a mix of non-M vs. M revision 30 round mags (black). We are very sorry this occurred. Some customers will receive the non-M revisions. Please feel free to request an RMA and we will send out a return shipping label and issue a 100% full refund, no questions asked. This was our fault, someone overlooked this issue in the rush.

7. High capacity magazines can not be sold to CA, Denver CO, Vail CO, DC, HI, Aurora IL, Chicago IL, Cicero IL, Franklin Park IL, OakPark IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, Cincinnati OH, Columbus OH, Dublin OH, Shaker Heights OH, Toledo OH.

There is a grandfather clause in many of these locations. Just google "high capacity magazine Toledo, OH" and you will see what I mean. A customer may argue that it is the buyer's responsibility (and he/she is probably correct), not the sellers, and local laws do verify slightly, but we will not take chances. Please do not hold this against us.

This is not a sales pitch for our company. I just wanted to clear up a few of the posts.

Regards,

Ed
Ambient Outdoors

InfiniteGrim
02-20-10, 11:41
Greetings,

This is Ed from Ambient Outdoors. I wanted to clarify a few things.

1. The reason for the sale is that we overbought after the election. We flew under the radar for awhile, until there was a post on a message board and then the sale went "viral". We have since sold out and removed them from the website.

2. We did oversell the units, which we try to avoid. We have an active inventory management system. For some reason, the inventory manager was down and continued to allow orders to go through. We tried to reach out to everyone. Again, it was a technical glitch and I apologize for the inconvenience.

3. We were not aware of MagPul's MAP policy. We purchase the magazines through a distributor, and there was no notification of a MAP policy. We were contacted by a very nice rep at MagPul and they requested we either price the products at MAP or note on the product page that they are a clearance sale, which we will add to the description this weekend. They did not threaten us in any way.

4. MAP policies are important to protect dealers against price deterioration. That being said, we noticed that their largest dealer linked directly from the MagPul website was violating their own MAP policy. We were told that this was due to an overproduction or overstock sale, which was exactly the same situation for Ambient Outdoors. They are looking into the issue. However, I want to point out that we priced these at cost to clear out inventory as well.

5. All of the MagPul Mags were removed from the website because we sold out. There is no other reason. They will return as soon as we receive new inventory and will return to MAP pricing.

6. One of the boxes included a mix of non-M vs. M revision 30 round mags (black). We are very sorry this occurred. Some customers will receive the non-M revisions. Please feel free to request an RMA and we will send out a return shipping label and issue a 100% full refund, no questions asked. This was our fault, someone overlooked this issue in the rush.

7. High capacity magazines can not be sold to CA, Denver CO, Vail CO, DC, HI, Aurora IL, Chicago IL, Cicero IL, Franklin Park IL, OakPark IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, Cincinnati OH, Columbus OH, Dublin OH, Shaker Heights OH, Toledo OH.

There is a grandfather clause in many of these locations. Just google "high capacity magazine Toledo, OH" and you will see what I mean. A customer may argue that it is the buyer's responsibility (and he/she is probably correct), not the sellers, and local laws do verify slightly, but we will not take chances. Please do not hold this against us.

This is not a sales pitch for our company. I just wanted to clear up a few of the posts.

Regards,

Ed
Ambient Outdoors

If that is true then why...

When my order made on thursday night was held, i called friday morning, added more pmags to correct the issue, if you were sold out why didnt it come up on the rep's computer screen, she told me she fixed it and they would ship out that after noon.

I get an email saying it was canceled, i call and ask why (at this point i knew magpul called) so i then ask her if it had been actually canceled due to being sold out, Instantly i get attitude from her, where she tells me you guys are sold out, and are NOT going to be ordering more and I was out of luck due to your system error.

#1 if the glitch hadnt occurred in your system my order would have went through before you sold out. (aka it said with coupon fg2 orders of $48+ ship free, i made a $75 order but with only 3 pmags and a MIAD grip and it accepted the coupon)

#2 Why was the rep able to add more of a sold out product onto my order

#3 Why would your rep get nasty and then lie to me? Especially when i was friendly with her?

crob1
02-20-10, 11:44
Thanks Ed.

ambientweather
02-20-10, 11:50
Greetings InfiniteGrim,

Valid points you make.

She was not lieing to you, we simply did not know until the orders hit the warehouse floor. As soon as we found out, we removed them from the website. It was more of a timing issue than anything else.

If she was not friendly with you, I apologize for that, this is unacceptable. I will talk to our sales rep to find out what happened. The customers is always right.

As I mentioned, it was a glitch in our system (the database was down). Please accept our apologies. It was not handled well.

Regards,

Ed

InfiniteGrim
02-20-10, 11:59
Greetings,

Valid points you make.

She was not lieing to you, we simply did not know until the orders hit the warehouse floor. As soon as we found out, we removed them from the website. It was more of a timing issue than anything else.

If she was not friendly with you, I apologize for that. I will talk to our sales rep to find out what happened.

As I mentioned, it was a glitch in our system (the database was down). Please accept our apologies. It was not handled well.

Regards,

Ed
Thanks for the response,

but i think you guys need to fix your coupon system.

It clearly said i could use fg2 on any order above $48 to get free shipping, which is what i did. I actually made my order before the deal came to light on the internet meaning my order got in before almost everybody. But because of the glitch in the coupon system my order was held until i bumped the 3 pmags up to 5 pmags, basically pushing my order to the back of the line. Since i was able to get the issue resolved, but not until after work around 4PM eastern time friday afternoon.

ambientweather
02-20-10, 12:04
InfiniteGrim,

Your point is well taken. I can understand why you are upset. The coupon system will accept the code.

In the title, it stated "purchase 5 for free UPS". Our coupon system is not sophisticated enough to filter 4 vs 5, and that is our fault. I understand that with lots of information on a product page, it is easy to overlook.

We are working on correcting this.

Regards,

Ed

Belmont31R
02-20-10, 12:07
Why is Magpul calling dealers that didn't buy directly from them?

Unless they are an authorized Magpul dealer Magpul has no right to tell them to sell by their MAP pricing, and it doesn't sound like they are if they are buying from a distributor and not Magpul direct. As they stated they got no information from their distributor about any MAP pricing....:confused:

InfiniteGrim
02-20-10, 12:08
InfiniteGrim,

Your point is well taken. I can understand why you are upset. The coupon system will accept the code.

In the title, it stated "purchase 5 for free UPS". Our coupon system is not sophisticated enough to filter 4 vs 5, and that is our fault. I understand that with lots of information on a product page, it is easy to overlook.

We are working on correcting this.

Regards,

Ed
I remember trying to order at first, i had though i had 5, but only had three. When i entered the coupon it most definetly said that with coupon FG2, orders of $48+ will ahve free shipping. So it seems as if there were two "definitions" of the coupon in your system. I also believe a previous member on here metioned the $48 limit too.

EDIT: IT was on slickdeals that i found other people ordering 4 because of the $48 limit

"You only have to buy 4 for free shipping. All you have to do is spend $48. In for 4 and repped!!! "

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1869906

Im just saying i think the problem with the coupon system isnt the difference between a 4 and a 5, but there were tow "definitions" of what FG2 could be used for.

ambientweather
02-20-10, 12:19
Good question!

The customers here are very sharp. This is an interesting read:

http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=28293

The bottom line is that a manufacturer can decide which retailers represent them and retailers will usually abide because they want to maintain a friendly relationship.

Regards,

Ed

ambientweather
02-20-10, 12:22
InfiniteGrim,

There was a definite hole in the system. I take full responsibility. Email me ed@ambientweather.com and I will offer you our premium customer discount on future purchases.

Regards,

Ed

SeriousStudent
02-20-10, 12:29
Ed,

I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate you coming to M4C, and taking the time to respond to your customers. That is a pretty rare thing, these days. It's appreciated.

Every single company, large or small, makes mistakes. We all strive for perfection, but it's a very rare commodity in this world.

Making an honest effort to help folks after the sale is what counts. If some of the posters would look at the companies and vendors on this site, they would see an interesting pattern. They are not perfect, but they go above and beyond to work with a customer. I am talking about companies with great reps for customer service, like G&R, BCM, Magpul, etc.

Folks, clearly Ed is doing that. The man is trying very hard to be helpful. Ultimately, what you are really talking about is saving a couple of bucks on a few mags. Nobody is talking about foreclosure on the family farm.

I did not order anything from Ed. But I am going to do so in the future, based solely on his coming here.

My dos not very shiny centavos.

ambientweather
02-20-10, 13:41
Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate that.

Regards,

Ed
GIT-R-DONE !

chadbag
02-20-10, 14:53
Why is Magpul calling dealers that didn't buy directly from them?

Unless they are an authorized Magpul dealer Magpul has no right to tell them to sell by their MAP pricing, and it doesn't sound like they are if they are buying from a distributor and not Magpul direct. As they stated they got no information from their distributor about any MAP pricing....:confused:

Buying from a distributor usually does not relieve your obligation to follow MAP. Most manufacturers put the burden on their distributors to enforce it as well.

Just FYI from my experience in the field

SW-Shooter
02-20-10, 20:57
Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate that.

Regards,

Ed
GIT-R-DONE !

This is not the kind of Company that we need to persecute, we need to support and buy from them. Like I said their CS was top notch, in fact I've never had any company call me at home to tell me a mistake was made. Ed, you've earned my business. I'm very pleased you took the time to comment here, it goes a very long way in showing where you stand. Thank you, I look forward to ordering from AmbientWeather.

Belmont31R
02-20-10, 21:40
Buying from a distributor usually does not relieve your obligation to follow MAP. Most manufacturers put the burden on their distributors to enforce it as well.

Just FYI from my experience in the field

That still doesn't explain why Magpul would call a dealer they have ZERO direct business with, and force their policy on them.

This business as far as I can tell never had anything to do with Magpul as a company. Logic would tell me Magpul has no business calling them out of the blue, and telling them they have to charge such and such for an item they bought from someone else.

Maybe its just an ingrained chain of command thing in me but it doesnt sound right.

Magpul, if anything, should be calling their distributors who do have a direct "contract" with Magpul, and inform them their dealers in their chain need to abide by their MAP. If I bought a product from X company produced by Y, and Y called me to tell me I have to charge a certain amount for a product I didn't buy from them Id tell them to pound sand.

chadbag
02-20-10, 22:01
That still doesn't explain why Magpul would call a dealer they have ZERO direct business with, and force their policy on them.

The dealer is representing Magpul products.

This business as far as I can tell never had anything to do with Magpul as a company. Logic would tell me Magpul has no business calling them out of the blue, and telling them they have to charge such and such for an item they bought from someone else.

Maybe its just an ingrained chain of command thing in me but it doesnt sound right.

Magpul, if anything, should be calling their distributors who do have a direct "contract" with Magpul, and inform them their dealers in their chain need to abide by their MAP. If I bought a product from X company produced by Y, and Y called me to tell me I have to charge a certain amount for a product I didn't buy from them Id tell them to pound sand.

They cannot tell them that they have to charge X dollars. They can only tell them that they cannot advertise a public price less than X dollars. The dealer is free to charge what he wants. Just not advertise what he wants.

Belmont31R
02-20-10, 22:08
The dealer is representing Magpul products.

They cannot tell them that they have to charge X dollars. They can only tell them that they cannot advertise a public price less than X dollars. The dealer is free to charge what he wants. Just not advertise what he wants.

I have a hard time believing a manufacturer can tell any company what/how they can charge customer for a product no matter how they aquired those products. Basically Magpul can say ANY company that sells our products (No matter how they got those products) has to charge this amount unless such and such?

What if I bought 100 PMAG's and, and sold them to a local gun store because I no longer wanted them. They sold them for $10. Magpul can call them and tell them they are violating MAP? What recourse would Magpul have if this local gunstore I sold them to told Magpul to f-off?

chadbag
02-20-10, 22:16
I have a hard time believing a manufacturer can tell any company what/how they can charge customer for a product no matter how they aquired those products. Basically Magpul can say ANY company that sells our products (No matter how they got those products) has to charge this amount unless such and such?

I already explained that they cannot tell a company how much to charge. They can only tell the company the minimum they can advertise. And if the company refuses Magpul can refuse to do business with them (directly or through the authorized distributors).

What if I bought 100 PMAG's and, and sold them to a local gun store because I no longer wanted them. They sold them for $10. Magpul can call them and tell them they are violating MAP? What recourse would Magpul have if this local gunstore I sold them to told Magpul to f-off?

Did you read what I wrote? They cannot tell them what to charge. That is price fixing or restraint of trade or something. They can only tell them the minimum they are allowed to advertise in public. And refusal means that the Magpul can only refuse to do business with them (directly or I assume through the distributors).

I seriously doubt Magpul called this distributor and told them to cut it out. I bet that Magpul called and made a nice friendly request and that the company decided it was in its best interest to agree to that request.

Magpul is not a bunch of jerks. I have had a couple calls (not related to MAP -- last year) and they want really hard for the people selling their stuff to succeed and to work out any issues that may arise in a friendly way.

SW-Shooter
02-20-10, 22:33
Holy thread hijack batman, IM works great. I'm not trying to be a dick about it but were going off topic now.

SteyrAUG
02-21-10, 02:35
Ed,

I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate you coming to M4C, and taking the time to respond to your customers. That is a pretty rare thing, these days. It's appreciated.

Every single company, large or small, makes mistakes. We all strive for perfection, but it's a very rare commodity in this world.

Making an honest effort to help folks after the sale is what counts. If some of the posters would look at the companies and vendors on this site, they would see an interesting pattern. They are not perfect, but they go above and beyond to work with a customer. I am talking about companies with great reps for customer service, like G&R, BCM, Magpul, etc.

Folks, clearly Ed is doing that. The man is trying very hard to be helpful. Ultimately, what you are really talking about is saving a couple of bucks on a few mags. Nobody is talking about foreclosure on the family farm.

I did not order anything from Ed. But I am going to do so in the future, based solely on his coming here.

Yep, I'm impressed.

ZDL
02-21-10, 03:02