PDA

View Full Version : For someone considering joining the service.

Mr. W
02-18-10, 19:14
Rather than make this longer than it needs to be; will weight training or calisthenics allow you to gain more endurance more quickly?
Thank you,
Mr. W

cgcorrea
02-18-10, 19:57
It helps, but the best thing you can do is run. Run run run. It will help improve your endurance in all other forms of PT that you do. About 95% of the all PT sessions that I've done in the Marine Corps consist of almost all running. Sometimes that's all we do. Don't get me wrong. We do alot of calisthenics, but not nearly as much as we run.

falightfighter
02-18-10, 20:11
Best answer is a mix of both.

Do circuits of pushups, situps, pullups, other bodyweight exercises (dips, curls, lunges, etc, etc). Do 5-10 exercises, 20-50 reps (fewer for pullups), 3 or 4 times. Keep moving for 25-40 minutes. (longer on days you don't run, shorter if you are going to run, too)

To pass initial training, you should be able to do 42 pu in 2 min, and 52 su in 2 min. That is the toughest standard (17-21, male) for initial training.

Work up to running 5 miles at 8 min/mile. That's not blazing fast, but if you can maintain that, you'll be fine in most units. Only run 3-4 times per week. Any 10k training program online will work- 10k is 6.2 miles, further than you'll generally need to run in a unit. To pass initial training, you must run 2 miles in 15:54, and 4 miles in 36 min. Neither is blazing, and if you are struggling to do it, you will be behind in most units.

Walk with weight on your back. Get any old backpack, or better yet, a weight vest. Start with 10-15 lbs (it won't feel like much, but trust me). Walk (briskly) for 3-5 miles- shoot for 15-16 min/mile, without jogging. Its tough, but doable. Only need to do this once a week. Work up to 40 lbs or so total weight (military standard is generally 35lbs in the pack, plus armor vest and other gear --infantry and some other units will carry ALOT more--, but basic training will work you up on this, while ensuring that you have good gear. Carrying weight with poor gear can mess up knees, back, etc.) and 6-8 miles.

If you report to basic training able to execute the graduation minimums (listed above), you will be developed into something approaching unit material by your drill sergeants.

Mr. W
02-21-10, 23:54
Do most guys in the service lift and does that help?

mkmckinley
02-24-10, 22:16
Most lift or do crossfit of some flavor once they're in a unit, but the advice you've gotten on here so far is great. Run, ruck, do pushups and situps. The tougher you can get your feet and back before you go the better.

BrigandTwoFour
03-01-10, 17:53
It also depends on which branch.

Know the fitness standards, and work to exceed them. I don't mean train so you can pass them, but do things that you know will help you.

Here in the Air Force, the PT test consists of running, push ups, sit ups, and taking a tape measure to your waist (don't ask...we all think it's BS). The Army and Marines are also heavy (if not heavier) on the running. I know the Marines run twice the distance we do for their PT test.

I would say find a healthy balance between weights and calisthenics. Throw in a healthy dose of plyometrics as well, maybe some combat sports (boxing), and you should be more than ready.

Do pull ups. Lots of them. They may not be tested, but they sure as hell help you in the long run.

seebee
03-03-10, 12:51
It helps, but the best thing you can do is run. Run run run. It will help improve your endurance in all other forms of PT that you do. About 95% of the all PT sessions that I've done in the Marine Corps consist of almost all running. Sometimes that's all we do. Don't get me wrong. We do alot of calisthenics, but not nearly as much as we run.

I agree. Run. Run. then wake up and run. run on the beach, run to the store, run everywhere you go. If you get tired. run some more. also do tons of push ups and sit ups. That's what I did so far so good. I try and do (through out the day) around 500 push ups and sit ups. and every other day 5 mile run or so on beach or on street. good luck. and don't smoke!