PDA

View Full Version : The AR-15/M4 Workbench Info/Picture Thread

Outlander Systems
02-18-10, 19:39
In my quest to get organised for 2010, my primary objective is to remove all the items that have been residing in my floor, or stuffed into a closet, and put together some semblance of structure.

I'm also trying to get some ideas for how a proper maintenance station is organised. Something for working on, building, and maintaining your weapons.

Anyone have a dedicated setup in their man cave for this sort of thing?

Break out some pics!

Right now, I've got the base of my bench, but I am wanting to put together a top. Most likely I'll be doing a plywood base for the tabletop. I'd like to put something over the plywood. If I could find diamond-plate plastic sheeting, I'd be in business. I'm open to suggestions on a decent tabletop material that isn't wood.

Belmont31R
02-18-10, 19:47
Shelves from costco:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/DSC_0600.jpg

Outlander Systems
02-18-10, 19:51
Awesome.

What are the OD green boxes? Are the plastic ammo containers? If so, where did you find them?

markdh720
02-18-10, 19:53
I wish I could post pics of a guy I met who runs a training company around here. He was a certifed armorer many times over.

In a den/office in his basement, he had two huge safes, a rolling toolbox, small air compressor, a six-foot work bench with two vices, and shelves and shelves of BCGs, barrels, slides, etc. Of course he had the standard LCD with cable, two laptops, and a college sized fridge.

My description does nothing to describe it's magnificence and the funny tingly feeling a got being there. ;) I can't wait to see some of these pics you guys post.

rob_s
02-18-10, 19:55
I have something like this (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308077_200308077) set up in my spare bedroom/office. I replaced the particle-board top and bottom with 3/4" plywood.

Belmont31R
02-18-10, 19:55
Awesome.

What are the OD green boxes? Are the plastic ammo containers? If so, where did you find them?

Old style Cabelas ammo dry box.

Also for the table top consider some industrial type carpet. It keeps small parts from rolling. Even if its just on one side of the top its good to have when working with lowers and such.

I did build a dedicated work bench but no photos yet. 2x4 posts with a 3/4" plywood top. Has a small 4" vice mounted to it.

Outlander Systems
02-18-10, 20:08
I have something like this (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308077_200308077) set up in my spare bedroom/office. I replaced the particle-board top and bottom with 3/4" plywood.

Basically what I'm working with is a particle-board top, that is about to be replaced, ASAP. Mine is VERY similar to what you're working with, only without the additional frame/pegboard in the rear. I'll probably go with the modular pegboard wall panels I saw at Home Depot. They were 16"², and I used one where the mirror was in my wall-locker. The pieces fit together like legos. The challenge is that the homebuilder cut corners, and didn't go with standard 16" studs, so I'm most likely forced to use some sort of anchor. :rolleyes:

Also for the table top consider some industrial type carpet. It keeps small parts from rolling. Even if its just on one side of the top its good to have when working with lowers and such.

I almost put that in my original post. I was also considering the type of carpeting that is on a lot of road-cases/racks, and speaker enclosures. My worries would be little fuzzies working their way into crevices of lead-slingers. Another benefit is no finish-destruction.

This might be one of the easier routes to take. I could just staple the carpeting onto the plywood top before I mount it to the base.

Outlander Systems
02-18-10, 20:11
My other conundrum is finding a means to mount an overhead shop light. I'd prefer to bypass the ceiling, and have it at the top of my workstation, under a shelf.

I'm sure if I sit in the garage, and chain-smoke enough, I can conjure up some sort of system to accomplish this.

My garage is grotesquely lacking in lighting. Unless it's sunny, and the door's open, it looks like a morgue in there.

Outlander Systems
02-19-10, 22:30
Anyone got any experience with Plasti Dip? I'm thinking about coating the work surface in it...

m4fun
02-20-10, 00:02
Is that like an external USB hardrive between the surfire and 20rnd mags?

Very nice, but how can you guys keep all your stuff in just a workbench?

This might be better served for a reloading bench setup or something.

gtriever
02-20-10, 04:51
My other conundrum is finding a means to mount an overhead shop light. I'd prefer to bypass the ceiling, and have it at the top of my workstation, under a shelf.

I'm sure if I sit in the garage, and chain-smoke enough, I can conjure up some sort of system to accomplish this.

My garage is grotesquely lacking in lighting. Unless it's sunny, and the door's open, it looks like a morgue in there.

Thin-wall EMT conduit; get two sections, bend a 90* on one end of each to form an inverted "L", use conduit hangers to attach to back of workbench with the short lengths positioned over the bench, hang light... ;)

Outlander Systems
02-20-10, 10:38
My next question is:

Where do you guys have your vice positioned...?

rob_s
02-20-10, 10:58
My next question is:

Where do you guys have your vice positioned...?

Standing in front of the bench, facing it, I have mine on the far right corner, all the way at the front. I used to have my reloading press mounted on the opposite, left-hand, corner.

Outlander Systems
02-20-10, 11:01
Probably the position I'll end up going with. The left side is most likely going to be up against my locker. I installed 6 of the modular panels of pegboard yesterday, so the project is moving ahead.

What sorta vice you got, Rob?

Al U. 5811
02-20-10, 11:44
Same here. I have a Wilton multi vise on the right side. That's how we are set up in my shop and at the schoolhouse.

Outlander Systems
02-20-10, 11:45
Pics, or none of this happened. ;)

rob_s
02-20-10, 11:46
Probably the position I'll end up going with. The left side is most likely going to be up against my locker. I installed 6 of the modular panels of pegboard yesterday, so the project is moving ahead.

What sorta vice you got, Rob?

Some shitty harbor freight junk. finish flaked off, metal rusted, doesn't like to stay in position when I rotate it... but it was cheap as hell and it still works for what I need.

Outlander Systems
02-20-10, 11:57
No shame there, dude. My policy on HF's goodies is that if it doesn't involve electricity, it's good enough for my amateur endeavors.

Unless I decide to start torquing barrels, something cheap that works should fit the bill.

What sort of vice blocks are you rocking?

xfyrfiter
02-20-10, 20:52
Just an idea for table top, gun protection. Roll-on or brush-on bed liner material ,A lot of colors ,tough as nails ,etc.

spamsammich
02-20-10, 21:09
No shame there, dude. My policy on HF's goodies is that if it doesn't involve electricity, it's good enough for my amateur endeavors.

Unless I decide to start torquing barrels, something cheap that works should fit the bill.

What sort of vice blocks are you rocking?

I'm using a delrin lower receiver vice block that mimics a magazine. For the uppers I use a clamshell type Brownell's block. I got a 5" vice, that's probably the smallest I'd go.

uwe1
02-20-10, 21:25
Does the vise have to be the kind that bolts onto the table or can it be one that clamps on? I would like to try to get into building and working on my own rifles also, but I would like to get the tools without having to spend a fortune. For example, Robb has that great thread on tools needed to work on an AR, but is all of that needed or can the more "amateur" of us get away with a more bare bones setup? Thanks for all your guys input, this thread has been helpful.

Outlander Systems
02-21-10, 00:13
Today was wicked productive. Did an MDF tabletop, since all the plywood I saw was bowed, warped, and just fugly/nasty. Painted the tabletop. Mounted the tabletop. Found some sort of "oops" piece of rubberised matting at Lowe's in the flooring section when I went to pick up the screws for the mounting. The mat is similiar to an Army sleeping pad, but more rubbery. In short, perfect as a base for working on long guns. It's textured, as well, so no rolling parts/pins/etc.

Best of all my dad hooked me up with an old Craftsman vice, randomly at about 10 o'clock this evening. I was smoking a cigarette in his garage, and..."WTF is this in the corner, in a box of scrap wood"?

http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/affiliated/19307/0011_1_lg.jpg

Tomorrow's project is refinishing it. Tonight I wire brushed it and prepped it for painting.

Al U. 5811
02-21-10, 06:04
That should be a solid vise.

I bought a house from a real estate agent. My basement room was her one time office, so it's kinda girly looking and light blue. (She had this pastel blue and pink thing going throughout the house, luckily my wife is a wiz with paint and brush) When we were moving in I put all my shit in there and have since just started working around it, just too much to move out. I got a workbench kit from Menards and mounted a Wilton 8" multi-vise to it and a flex work light. I bought rubbermaid shelving for my non-heavy stuff and put up some banners to cover some of the gay colors up. Ammo and heavy shit sit on the floor and make funny indentations in the carpet. Safes are pushed to the corners. I run a dehumidifier year round.

I really need to get some pix up, too funny. My wife calls the room disgusting and says, "I think you have a problem". I put a "No girls allowed sign on the door. She was not amused.

rob_s
02-21-10, 08:02
I think my upper block is from Bushmaster. It has a Stanley cabinet hinge on the bottom. :eek:

I had to hog out one end with the dremel with I first got it because it wouldn't let me install a Larue locking collar, and I've used the hell out of it since then without issue, until I went to work on an 9mm upper and didn't want to take the dustcover & brass deflector off. I have something similar to this (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17094/Product/AR_15_AR_STYLE__308_UPPER_RECEIVER_BLOCK) now for the 9mm uppers.

ggt1_02
02-21-10, 08:28
I am going to be using a formica counter top for my bench. Lowes has 6 foot lengths for $40. We use formica for assembly fixtures at work. It holds up really well and can take some abuse.

uwe1
02-21-10, 09:56
Standing in front of the bench, facing it, I have mine on the far right corner, all the way at the front. I used to have my reloading press mounted on the opposite, left-hand, corner.

Is there a minimum amount of space from the edge the vice should be mounted if one were torqueing barrels?

Razorhunter
02-21-10, 10:18
You guys are trying to make mounting a vise into brain surgery.
The only thing you need to consider when mounting ANY bench vise, is CLEARANCE.
If you have a swiveling base vise (and you SHOULD), then you definitely want to mount the vise on a CORNER of the benchtop, since it will need to have clearance on BOTH the side AND the END of your bench top.
Just make sure your work (what you are clamping in the vise), and the vise handle itself have CLEARANCE. It's that simple.

Outlander Systems
02-21-10, 10:23
Is there a minimum amount of space from the edge the vice should be mounted if one were torqueing barrels?

A question I need answered as well. I probably won't mount mine for a week to let the paint cure.

While we're on questions, what sort of work lights are you guys sportin'?

uwe1
02-21-10, 12:13
You guys are trying to make mounting a vise into brain surgery.
The only thing you need to consider when mounting ANY bench vise, is CLEARANCE.
If you have a swiveling base vise (and you SHOULD), then you definitely want to mount the vise on a CORNER of the benchtop, since it will need to have clearance on BOTH the side AND the END of your bench top.
Just make sure your work (what you are clamping in the vise), and the vise handle itself have CLEARANCE. It's that simple.

Haha, razorhunter, I am a relatively tool ignorant, white collar worker who has only gotten into firearms for 15-16 months. It's fair to say that I am complicating the issue way more than it needs to be. My gun workspace is currently my walkin master closet.:p

I am debating if I want to set up in my garage as the summers here are scorching hot. I don't currently have a spare room in the house either so I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I will need when I finally get my shit together.

Outlander Systems
02-21-10, 13:00
Pics, or it's all fish-stories:

Tabletop/G26/World's Cheapest 'Smith Mat:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5326/gatp.jpg

Vice:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5451/viceq.jpg

AMMOTECH
02-21-10, 14:42
:(
Mines just a basic all purpose work area. I've got an old mag in a vice and use that as a cleaning station. I need to do some upgrades/cleaning and put some peg board up on the wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA72559.jpg

Outlander Systems
02-21-10, 14:51
Sweet little setup, bro.

I'm beginning to see that I'm the only one, so far, with a seriously underlit workstation.

ETA: David, where'd you get the clamps?

uwe1
02-21-10, 18:13
I like that setup as well. I don't see myself getting heavily into building/modifying rifles with the time constraints (family and work) that I have. I would like an area to call my own and that looks like a great basic setup. I had two spare rooms in the house, but the in-laws moved in a year ago and took over. I've been hiding my good tools in my room because my father-in-law has a tendency to take nice things and F#$ them up (another reason I don't want to set up in the garage). For example, he thought that he was a skilled knife sharpener and went to town (without asking) on my Henckel kitchen knives....the knives are notched now.

Do you do any barrel torquing/FF rail installation with that setup? I see that your vise is sitting on a elevated shelf and I was wondering if that was stable enough for you to put pressure on it.

uwe1
02-21-10, 18:14
Sweet little setup, bro.

I'm beginning to see that I'm the only one, so far, with a seriously underlit workstation.

ETA: David, where'd you get the clamps?

NavCol, while not David, I think I've seen clamps like those sold at Home Depot and Lowes.

AMMOTECH
02-21-10, 19:19
The clamps came from Lowes a few years back. They are tight as hell and a good third hand sometimes.

As far as putting torque on the the vise: No. Not much anyway. I mainly use it to hold stuff when I work on it.

I don't build** AR's like some folks on here so I just needed a basic area. If the wife hands me something and says "here it broke" I can go out and fix it. I can clean my guns when I get back from the range or do minor auto repairs from the same area.

**I did take all the parts out of my Bushy lower and replace them with parts from DD on that bench...;)

Outlander Systems
02-21-10, 19:36
NavCol, while not David, I think I've seen clamps like those sold at Home Depot and Lowes.

Not locally for me. The only options they've got around here are black/neon-orange versions. And nothing that big.

I'd eventually like to get going on some builds, but right now my setup is intended for light maintenance & cleaning. Hopefully I'll never have to figit with installing pistol grips on the floor ever again.

As far as lighting, I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/900508_lg.jpg

And this:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/14666_PE097661_S4.jpg

uwe1
02-21-10, 20:28
I'd eventually like to get going on some builds, but right now my setup is intended for light maintenance & cleaning. Hopefully I'll never have to figit with installing pistol grips on the floor ever again.

I currently do most of my gun maintenance on the floor while keeping the gun inside of a box to minimize splash and lost parts. I once lost the ball bearing that sits in the safety switch of my Mossy500 and spent the better part of an hour on my hands and knees with a magnet recovering it from the shag carpet.

If I put anything resembling those lights in my house, my wife who watches too much HGTV would have a cow.:p

ScottFarkus
02-21-10, 21:08
I have a old kitchen countertop on my work bench. Springs and stuff love to fly everywhere.

I found a roll of padding for use with a router. It is kind of a checkerboard type pattern, it is very grippy and can be put away to keep other crap off of it (metal shavings-rust-whatever).

Now if I can only cure my horrible case of workbench clutter disease:D

uwe1
02-22-10, 17:25
I saw something almost exactly like this at Harbor Freight for about $130. How secure is it with the thin aluminum metal for the legs? It seems like an decent, inexpensive setup for a "hobby gunsmith" like myself.

rob_s
02-22-10, 17:30
my bench worked great. Made by Gorilla. I can't really comment on other brands.

As for lighting, my bench has a top shelf with a tube bulb under it, and I also used clamp-on desk lamps attached to the shelf because I could move them around and aim them where I wanted.

Once upon a time I had a big boom-type desk lamp on there but it finally crapped out.

uwe1
02-23-10, 11:31
NavCol, Have you seen this thread?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=29010&highlight=holumber

In my quest to get organised for 2010, my primary objective is to remove all the items that have been residing in my floor, or stuffed into a closet, and put together some semblance of structure.

I'm also trying to get some ideas for how a proper maintenance station is organised. Something for working on, building, and maintaining your weapons.

Anyone have a dedicated setup in their man cave for this sort of thing?

Break out some pics!

Right now, I've got the base of my bench, but I am wanting to put together a top. Most likely I'll be doing a plywood base for the tabletop. I'd like to put something over the plywood. If I could find diamond-plate plastic sheeting, I'd be in business. I'm open to suggestions on a decent tabletop material that isn't wood.

Outlander Systems
02-23-10, 12:47
I have; however, I started this one since I'm not a reloader yet.

Since I've been an apartment-dweller for my entire adult life, my firearm cleaning/maintenance experiences have taken place upon kitchen countertops, kitchen tables, and on the floor. It's sucked.

Now that the Mrs. and I finally have a house with a garage, I'm attempting to move out of the "pile o' shit"/in-the-floor storage-style, and trying to not be forced to perform all my work on the floor.

Since I'm eventually going to have a separate workbench for general stuff, my initial bout of curiosity was if anyone had a dedicated workbench for gun-related chores.

Basically, I'm trying to set up this particular area for strictly cleaning/maintaining and possibly building in the future.

On another note, I managed to find some adequate lighting for my arrangement at Wal*Mart for $14.00. I'll bust out a pic in a little while.

ETA: Quickie Camera-Phone Pics:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8041/benchc.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4452/vicey.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2655/shoplight.jpg

Outlander Systems
02-28-10, 20:16
Massive, massive thanks to my buddy Fire_Medic for hooking a brother up with, what was for me, an extremely hard-to-find item.

I feel a bit like I'm putting the star on the tree, before I've even put up the tree, but, hell.

The crown jewel:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9099/glockjf.jpg

spamsammich
02-28-10, 23:21
Wow, you don't **** around. Nicely done. I just had a T8 ballast go down last week :(

My workshop looks like a disaster area after this winter. I had converted it to a ski/snowboard waxing station and it never recovered.

SuicideHz
02-28-10, 23:31
Wow. I have that same EXACT vice!! It was my uncle's and he left it behind when he moved to Vegas. My dad let me have it.

Today was wicked productive. Did an MDF tabletop, since all the plywood I saw was bowed, warped, and just fugly/nasty. Painted the tabletop. Mounted the tabletop. Found some sort of "oops" piece of rubberised matting at Lowe's in the flooring section when I went to pick up the screws for the mounting. The mat is similiar to an Army sleeping pad, but more rubbery. In short, perfect as a base for working on long guns. It's textured, as well, so no rolling parts/pins/etc.

Best of all my dad hooked me up with an old Craftsman vice, randomly at about 10 o'clock this evening. I was smoking a cigarette in his garage, and..."WTF is this in the corner, in a box of scrap wood"?

http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/affiliated/19307/0011_1_lg.jpg

Tomorrow's project is refinishing it. Tonight I wire brushed it and prepped it for painting.

Outlander Systems
03-01-10, 06:23
Wow, you don't **** around. Nicely done. I just had a T8 ballast go down last week :(

My workshop looks like a disaster area after this winter. I had converted it to a ski/snowboard waxing station and it never recovered.

Thanks amigo. I have a bad tendency to sometimes overdo stuff. G-g-get yo' ass over to Wal*Mart. The 'Depot and Lowes didn't have anything as nice, with a pull-chain for the price.

Since I'm starting out from scratch, I figured I'd dedicate a bench to firearm maintenance, and do a separate area for typical workshop chores. Otherwise I'll descend down the slippery slope of expletive shouting, where the ______ is my screwdriver, sort of chicanery.

For example, I once had many hex keys. Now I have about two. :confused:

Wow. I have that same EXACT vice!! It was my uncle's and he left it behind when he moved to Vegas. My dad let me have it.

I've been seeing it more and more in a couple of threads around here. Considering it had a heavy coating of rust, and looked very unloved, it's surprisingly pretty damned nice.

Robb Jensen
03-01-10, 07:17
I'd post a picture of my workbench at work but it pretty much looks like a tornado it most of the time.
Controlled chaos I guess. :D

Outlander Systems
03-01-10, 07:21
I'd post a picture of my workbench at work but it pretty much looks like a tornado it most of the time.
Controlled chaos I guess. :D

That's because you actually use it. Kinda like a well-worn/loved firearm. The ugly ones are always the ones that mean business. ;)

rob_s
03-01-10, 07:37
You got a thing for yellow or somethin'?

:D

Outlander Systems
03-01-10, 08:00
You got a thing for yellow or somethin'?

:D

My favourite colours are OD and Yellow. ;)

[threadjack]

Imagine my shock when the TYV shirt was...white...:confused:

;)

Imagine my delight when I saw this: http://nametapes.com/blackonyellow-customnametapes.aspx

rob_s
03-01-10, 08:21
Imagine my shock when the TYV shirt was...white...:confused:

Yeah, wanted to preserve the pro sports colors and didn't want to pay to print white. there is one tan one in existance... ;)

Next run will probably be tan with subdued colors and the yellow visor.

rljatl
03-01-10, 13:07
I just bought this one on sale for $175 from Sears. It is heavy and rock steady.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914644000P?vName=Tools&keyword=work+bench

rob_s
03-01-10, 13:23
I just bought this one on sale for $175 from Sears. It is heavy and rock steady.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914644000P?vName=Tools&keyword=work+bench

That's cool as hell. Make it 30" tall and 30" deep and I'd use it as a desk!

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00914644000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

ETA:
They have a lot of cool benches link (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Garage%20Organization%20&%20Shelving_Workbenches)

Outlander Systems
03-01-10, 14:29
Wicked. I need to measure one of my walls to see if the depth will still allow the Mrs. to park her assault wagon. If so, that may be perfect for my work-horse bench.

MMcfpd
03-01-10, 18:07
Whatever can't be done at the table in the dining room happens here:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/vise_station.jpg

The collapsing sawhorses came from Lowe's. It's quite stable and folds up and gets out of the way when I need the garage space.

Outlander Systems
03-01-10, 19:44
Clean and clutter-free. I dig it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-02-10, 01:50
Wicked. I need to measure one of my walls to see if the depth will still allow the Mrs. to park her assault wagon. If so, that may be perfect for my work-horse bench.

I took a solid core door (32x80) and hinged the long side horizontally to the wall in the garage. On the side away from the wall I hinged two legs to come in like landing gear on a FW190. Viola, a nice big surface to work at that is as solid as the house and it just folds against the wall when I'm done. If I don't finish my project, my car sleeps outside. I don't like that.

Outlander Systems
03-02-10, 09:11
I'd actually considered a folding work surface. When we first moved into the house, the Mrs. drove through the wall. I told her next time she wants to park in the living room, I need advanced notice. My folks bought her an electronic stop sign that flashes when it's bumped. :p

I've got a wall that comes out, that would make an excellent setup for a GP work station.

--------------------------------------

Come on people, we need some pics going on in here.

Mega
03-02-10, 10:54
Anyone got any experience with Plasti Dip? I'm thinking about coating the work surface in it...

Take a look at one of the roll-on truck bedliner products. ;)

Outlander Systems
03-02-10, 21:19
Performed my first task on the new, but incomplete, bench. It beat working on the floor, but I seriously need some sort of cradle.

Without the overhead shop light, there quite simply wasn't enough lighting to perform any type of work whatsoever.

My newest friend just got a detailed inspection, a thorough cleaning, and a good lube job. 10W30 Motor oil is where it's at.

Slicker than a minnow's pecker:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4508/sr5561.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5606/sr5562.jpg

Mega
03-03-10, 07:47
Performed my first task on the new, but incomplete, bench. It beat working on the floor, but I seriously need some sort of cradle.

Take a look here...
http://pptexas.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=pptexas&Category_Code=ar15

Outlander Systems
03-14-10, 19:40
Yes, even the breaker-box is OD. ;)

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/121/benchg.jpg

Mega
03-14-10, 19:47
Nice job. :)

Outlander Systems
03-14-10, 19:50
Thanks. Eventually, it will be finished.

:mad:

Mega
03-14-10, 19:55
Just like the guns... it's never finished brother. ;)

markdh720
03-15-10, 01:18
Along this topic:

I do my mechanical and amateur "gunsmithing" in my garage. While I'm off work with a busted hand, I'm cleaning and reorganizing my workspace, putting up targets for dry fire, adding more lighting, and trying to de-clutter all the kid's stuff. The workbench in my garage when I bought it was over ten feet long. There's enough space to accomodate it, but I cut it down to six feet. The surface is actually made of OSB, which is not as smooth as I'd like. Anybody have a recommendation that I can lay over and secure to the OSB?

I promise I'll add pics when the work area is acceptible.

Mega
03-15-10, 07:18
Anybody have a recommendation that I can lay over and secure to the OSB?

I would use masonite, secured with small finishing nails, and varnished.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonite

No.6
03-15-10, 08:48
Been thinking along these (http://www.globalindustrial.com/t/work-benches)lines. Modular and upgradeable. Bound to find a configuration that would work. Bins, drawers, lighting, different tops, etc., looks like it's all there. A little pricey though....

Six Feet Under
03-18-10, 18:35
My dad just picked this bench up from my uncle's house. I'm probably going to give him from the middle 2x4 over to the left side to make a dog washing platform (giving his australian shepherd a bath in the tub is getting to be a little much for him).

As it stands, the piece measures 63.5" long by 39.5" deep. I only want about 22-24" of depth for what I'm doing (building ARs, cleaning and working on guns or other small household project). The top is 3/4" plywood.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/SD530250.jpg?t=1268954288

Plans:

Vice
4x4 post legs
Lower shelf
Pegboard back (I'll build the frame for that out of 2x4)
Power strip
Small box built-in under table for part/brush boxes (which will be labeled)

I plan on picking up lower and upper action blocks and some other gun-specific tools in the future as money allows.

Bimmer
03-18-10, 22:14
My other conundrum is finding a means to mount an overhead shop light. I'd prefer to...have it at the top of my workstation, under a shelf.

My garage is grotesquely lacking in lighting.

This is easy. For $10 Target will sell you a one-bulb lamp on a gooseneck with a heavy clamp at the other end. Clamp the lamp to the shelf. Plug it in. Turn it on and position as necessary.

Overhead lighting sucks for lighting a workstation. The lights are invariably in the middle of the room, but the workbench is against one wall, so you're always blocking your light.

Bimmer

Cochese
03-23-10, 12:29
Since I'm eventually going to have a separate workbench for general stuff, my initial bout of curiosity was if anyone had a dedicated workbench for gun-related chores.

I do.

Day one, after assembling them. Picked them up at HD for about $59 each I think... :confused:

On the left with the harbor freight swivel vise is my gun bench.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_leflAGmZllI/S0hPC5tIDgI/AAAAAAAAAbU/Jj0m4V_uv9k/s640/shop.jpg

I went back to HD and picked up some heavy duty office/commercial carpet and cheap carpet bar, wide as I could find.

Hung some pegboard on the tool/workbench side.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_leflAGmZllI/S0hPDBSNQoI/AAAAAAAAAbY/PG6ZTaZgklM/s640/shop2.jpg

Decent sized shelving.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_leflAGmZllI/S0hPDhhJKQI/AAAAAAAAAbg/N0nbcgabPgY/s640/shop4.jpg

Carpet and bar installed. Sorry bout the fuzzy pics. They are a few years old taken with a BB Pearl.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_leflAGmZllI/S0hPKaZsTeI/AAAAAAAAAdI/lqDwgK6ztHc/s640/newtoys.jpg

Six Feet Under
03-23-10, 17:51
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/fc0e4aba.jpg

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/9cc4b627.jpg

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/379c1c80.jpg

Just got it put together today, I'll be finding a vise and putting it on there along with another clamp-on desk light or some overhead lighting or something. I might put a set of drawers under the top for tool storage and possible a shelf on the bottom (I'd add another 2x4 support section in the back). So far it's very solid and I like it... Mostly going to be used for cleaning/working on/putting together guns.

I'll probably either refinish the top or cover it with something (towel, etc. or something permanent, don't know yet). All depends on money, which is tight right now.