PDA

View Full Version : Costa's Rail...

Col_Crocs
02-19-10, 08:08
Tried searching but I cannot, for the life of me, find this rail. Anyone know what brand it is? Looks like a cross between the VIS and Samson...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4370507848_5bb01deb1f_o.png

**photo of Chris Costa by Stickman.

Cagemonkey
02-19-10, 08:12
Its hard to tell, but looks like a LWRC rail.

Jay Cunningham
02-19-10, 08:23
Costa's Rail...

I have never heard of a gheyer thread title in all of my life...

:p

Col_Crocs
02-19-10, 08:36
Costa's Rail...

Got you guys to come in, didnt it? :p hahaha! All Kidding aside, thanks CageMonkey!

glen
02-19-10, 09:52
Costa's Rail...

hahahahaha! sorry kabayan! :p

seriously, yeah, looks like an LWRC piston gun, no gas vent holes on the bolt carrier.

Mega
02-19-10, 10:05
Monolithic upper/rail assembly?
I don't see any break in the upper rail.

Rated21R
02-19-10, 10:27
hmmm...

Stickman
02-19-10, 10:33
Where did you find that picture?

texag
02-19-10, 13:04
Monolithic upper/rail assembly?
I don't see any break in the upper rail.

Look at the rear of the rail, I'm pretty sure the bolts there allow the upper portion of the rail to detach, giving access to the piston and op rod.

SHIVAN
02-19-10, 13:40
Tried searching but I cannot, for the life of me, find this rail. Anyone know what brand it is? Looks like a cross between the VIS and Samson...

Why the quest? Looks like a Daniel Defense or Knight's rail would serve the purpose just as well. Troy makes one that is a very similar two piece as well.

alphagunner
02-19-10, 13:42
It looks like a Samson to me

lethal dose
02-19-10, 13:55
I smell a mancrush...:cool:

Skyyr
02-19-10, 14:09
It looks like a Samson to me

Agreed... it does look like a Samson (and if it is, they are HEAVY!).

handyandy
02-19-10, 14:10
It looks just like the one on my LWRC, except I have a 14.7" barrel and no TT:(. And you know who makes that rail, right? None other than ARMS. The top half of the rail comes off to access the piston and rod. It matches up perfectly when you take it off and put it back on. The problem is that it is very undersized from 1913 spec. I would look elsewhere for a FF rail.

Skyyr
02-19-10, 14:27
It looks just like the one on my LWRC, except I have a 14.7" barrel and no TT:(. And you know who makes that rail, right? None other than ARMS. The top half of the rail comes off to access the piston and rod. It matches up perfectly when you take it off and put it back on. The problem is that it is very undersized from 1913 spec. I would look elsewhere for a FF rail.

A.R.M.S. virtually made the specs for 1913 (or at least they were a major force behind them becoming standardized), so it seems very unlikely for an A.R.M.S. rail to be out of spec. Don't get me wrong, I completely dislike A.R.M.S. as a company, but the above seems... very, very unlikely compared to the item you're attaching to the rail being OOS.

Cincinnatus
02-19-10, 14:36
Costa's Rail...

If that's not bad enough, think of what all of our status shows as right now: "viewing Costa's Rail." :p

lethal dose
02-19-10, 14:52
If that's not bad enough, think of what all of our status shows as right now: "viewing Costa's Rail." :p
I lol'd.

rychencop
02-19-10, 14:56
LWRC all day long.

Mat
02-19-10, 15:05
LWRC. And IIRC he was doing some testing for them.

orionz06
02-19-10, 15:25
Costa's Rail...

But all of us looked... :(

M4arc
02-19-10, 16:01
Good thing we're only talking about his rail, I couldn't take another "what kind of underwear does Costa wear" thread!

:D

Artiz
02-19-10, 17:01

Hahaha... god that was hilarious. :p

orionz06
02-19-10, 17:12
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/Untitled-3.jpg
not as planned

Jay Cunningham
02-19-10, 17:13
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/Untitled-3.jpg
not as planned

:p:p:p

Artiz
02-19-10, 17:25
Party braker. :D

subzero
02-19-10, 17:43
A.R.M.S. virtually made the specs for 1913 (or at least they were the main force behind them becoming standardized), so it seems very unlikely for an A.R.M.S. rail to be out of spec. Don't get me wrong, I completely dislike A.R.M.S. as a company, but the above seems... very, very unlikely.

Oh boy, wait til Grant sees this. It'll be like 2004 all over again!

Col_Crocs
02-19-10, 18:07
Where did you find that picture?

Hey stick. I cant seem to find it anymore but if Im not mistaken, it was in one of your galleries I chanced upon. I think you had 2 versions of it.--one in sepia cropped close and this one, the wider original which I took a screenshot of.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-19-10, 18:12
Good thing we're only talking about his rail, I couldn't take another "what kind of underwear does Costa wear" thread!

:D

He wears underwear? The multipage thread on TOS said that he was a commando....

Col_Crocs
02-19-10, 18:27
hahahahaha! sorry kabayan! :p

seriously, yeah, looks like an LWRC piston gun, no gas vent holes on the bolt carrier.
I shouldve just kept searching... :D hahahahahaha! All in good fun though. Thanks!

Why the quest? Looks like a Daniel Defense or Knight's rail would serve the purpose just as well. Troy makes one that is a very similar two piece as well.

I agree. It just looked interesting to me as it resembled the rail on the VIS upper. I know how they get to test new gear from time to time so I was curious if it was a new VLTOR 2 piece FF.

Agreed... it does look like a Samson (and if it is, they are HEAVY!).
Ya, it did to me at first too but LWRC sounds about right.

Hence my point...:D

But all of us looked... :(
Hence my point again! :D

Thanks for the responses guys! Both serious and seriously making fun of me.
Who wouldve thought a rather harmless and superficial thread could cause such a stir. :D

Belmont31R
02-19-10, 18:50
A.R.M.S. virtually made the specs for 1913 (or at least they were the main force behind them becoming standardized), so it seems very unlikely for an A.R.M.S. rail to be out of spec. Don't get me wrong, I completely dislike A.R.M.S. as a company, but the above seems... very, very unlikely.

You'd think they could make a mount that fits an in spec rail that locks up without either being too loose or so tight you need a pry bar to get the damn thing off.

And having a spec, and implementing it are two different things.

DocHolliday01
02-19-10, 19:47

Do you have a link to specs on the rails that are on he M6 and M6A1 guns? Because my A2 has an ARM-R rail which is made in house by LWRC.

Skyyr
02-19-10, 20:11
You'd think they could make a mount that fits an in spec rail that locks up without either being too loose or so tight you need a pry bar to get the damn thing off.

And having a spec, and implementing it are two different things.

If something won't fit on an A.R.M.S. rail or an A.R.M.S. mount won't fit on a rail, 99.99999% of the time, it's the non-A.R.M.S. item that's OOS.

Again, I don't like A.R.M.S. whatsoever, but it's like telling Coca-Cola that their mixture isn't mixing right out of a fountain machine. There's the smallest chance that could be the case, but the machine itself is usually to blame for not mixing it correctly. In the same way, A.R.M.S. defined the 1913 standards.

Not saying they don't make OOS stuff, but there's a bigger chance your other item is OOS when it comes to rails.

glen
02-19-10, 20:23
I shouldve just kept searching... :D hahahahahaha! All in good fun though. Thanks!

I agree. It just looked interesting to me as it resembled the rail on the VIS upper. I know how they get to test new gear from time to time so I was curious if it was a new VLTOR 2 piece FF.

Ya, it did to me at first too but LWRC sounds about right.

Hence my point...:D

Hence my point again! :D

Thanks for the responses guys! Both serious and seriously making fun of me.
Who wouldve thought a rather harmless and superficial thread could cause such a stir. :D

It could be worse...lucky this isn't TOS. You might have 20 pages of ragging by now. :D

justin_247
02-19-10, 20:38

I was under the impression that contemporary AR-15 Picatinny rail systems go back to the Picatinny Arsenal and Reed Knight at Knight's Armament more than anybody else...

Volucris
02-19-10, 20:43
This is ground control to major Tom, you've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare