PDA

View Full Version : First trip to the range_New BCM

Jitterbug
02-19-10, 09:39
Hi guys

A have a couple of questions for my first trip to the range with an AR. I'll have access to 50 and 100 yards at the local range.

I have a Magpul flip up RBUIS and a Primary Arms Gen 2 Red Dot and will attempt to zero off a bench at 50 with the iron sites first.

What do I need?

Front site tool? The Magpul RBUIS doesn't have elevation adjustments?
Would I be better off with a 20 round Magpul magazine? Or a 5-10 round? For ease of shooting off a bench?

Have I forgotten anything?

AMMOTECH
02-19-10, 09:48
Zero both RDS and BUIS @ 50Y.

Front sight is for elevation. (up/down) -- You can use a bullet tip if you don't have the tool.

Rear sight is for windage. (left/right)

I use an old 20 round mag for zero. Zero with the ammo that you intend to use the most.

After you zero at 50 confirm at 100. Should be close to 1.5" high @ 100.

Down load this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/18589142/TM-9100531910-No-Changes-Oct-1998

ForTehNguyen
02-19-10, 10:07
zero the irons first, then you can ghetto zero the RDS by cowitnessing to get it in the ballpark. Then you can fine tune the RDS.

rear sight adjustments are around 3/8" per click @ 50 yards, front sight adjustments are around 7/8"- 1" a click @ 50 yards. For the RDS, consult the manual for what kind of adjustments. Usually RDS are 1/4" clicks for both windage and elevation at 50 yards.

Jitterbug
02-19-10, 10:24
A bullet tip will work? Does it need to be a hollow point? I've never done this before so please bear with me.

Archer78
02-19-10, 10:40
no hollow point, just use the tip the force the needle down on the front sight and turn clockwise or counter clockwise. Its easier with a m16/m4 zero target which you can find the PDF somewhere on the net. I think i've seen it here somewhere. It will tell you which direction and what sight you need to adjust. just use the tip of the round as if it were a punch. simple.

And I dont know if they make hp for 5.56/.223 but I could be wrong. kinda defeats the purpose of the fmj people fire with now since our rounds dont mushroom, they break apart

Hope that helps a lil.