PDA

View Full Version : Oakley lens tint?

jvencius
02-19-10, 15:49
Sooner or later, but definitely before I get my eye surgery, I'm going to be ordering myself some new Oakleys (most likely a set of custom Radars) but need some advice on lens tints. I'm definitely going to get a Black Iridium Polarized lens since it's quite dark and gives relatively neutral color rendition but I'm torn on what tint I should get for a second lens. I'd like something lighter for dusk/overcast days so I'm thinking that a lens like a VR28 Gold Iridium or perhaps a Persimmon would do well but I'm open to suggestions/alternatives.

Robb Jensen
02-19-10, 17:16
I used Oakley M-frames and Oakley Ballistic 2.0 M-Frames and use clear, VR28, VR50 and standard grey lenses.

M4Fundi
02-20-10, 01:00
You need to look at the lens charts for how much % of light transfer for each lens there is. The VR28 is the lens you want in my opinion and it works under many light conditions and many SWAT/LEOs prefer this lens.

Remember the darker (less light transferred) thru the lens it causes your pupils to dilate whic reduces your depth perception. You always want to use the lens with the most light transfer you can stand with out causing eye strain. I have custom RADARS with VR28 (all day), Yellow (for dark snowy days) and clear. I will probably get some darker polarized when I need them.

Boss Hogg
02-20-10, 06:33
I find that the VR28 is too bright in sunlight, and too dark in low light.

For me, the G30 is a much better all-purpose lens. Similar color to VR28.

ColdDeadHands
02-20-10, 06:42
I like the Black Iridium Polarized lenses on my Monster Dog Glasses, they do a real good job here in Texas where it's always super bright.

bdub712
02-21-10, 14:35
go with the G20 lens w/ black iridium coat...great dual purpose lens

Jerm
02-21-10, 14:53
Any good reason not to go with the photochromic(transition) lenses?

I'm thinking of picking up some custom Half Jackets and thought they'd be the most versatile.

JHC
02-21-10, 17:16
About an hour ago I bought a pair of half jackets with a discontinued transition lens set that goes from something like persimmon to G30 for $68 at their outlet store in N. Georgia. That never happens to me.

I'm practically addicted to hunting with persimmon lens because of the contrast I'm convinced they provide. I find them tolerable in bright sun. But I believe I read on another eyesight thread on M4C from an optamologist that as one ages one needs more and more light transmitted from their tints. I've changed to clear for my range stuff. But in your situation, with the black iridium covering one end of the spectrum, my good experience with persimmon in overcast situtations would lead me to choose that for the other.

jvencius
02-21-10, 21:51
Remember the darker (less light transferred) thru the lens it causes your pupils to dilate whic reduces your depth perception. You always want to use the lens with the most light transfer you can stand with out causing eye strain.

From all that I've read, post-LASEK your eyes are really light-sensitive for a while so a pair of very dark shades are a good idea but I'm not convinced that running around (especially here in "sunny California" :rolleyes: where it's foggy/overcast 3/4 of the time) with sunglasses that dark is a good idea, hence my desire for two lenses for different conditions.

madisonsfinest
02-21-10, 21:54
G30 is a nice lense. It is their golfing lens

jvencius
02-21-10, 22:00
G30 is a nice lense. It is their golfing lens

My golf game is so horrendous I could probably play with completely opaque lenses and hit that damned white orb just about as well as I can now...:rolleyes::p:p:p

Boss Hogg
02-22-10, 13:20
If you can, go to an Oakley store and compare the VR28 and the G30. The VR28 is too orange for me. If it's designed for golf, that should tell you something about the contrast it provides.

Otoh, Revision's persimmon lens or whatever it's called is orange but works great. ymmv.

jvencius
06-18-10, 11:21
This is a modest necropost, but thanks to a buddy I got a pair of SI Oakley Flak Jackets and here are some impressions:

1) The matte-finished frame is mucho better-o than glossy plus IMO it looks better w/o the "Oakely" printed across the nosepiece or the bright shiny "O" logos on the temples.

2) The Black Iridium Polarized lenses are great just so long as it's sunny out. My eyes seem more "relaxed" with them in vs. the standard gray lenses but how well the Iridium coating holds up is yet to be seen.

3) The Persimmon lenses are, to paraphrase a friend, "teh awesome". Out here on the central CA coast it's foggy/overcast/hazy a lot more than it's clear and Persimmon is just the ticket for those conditions since it doesn't block too much light (~68% transmission, IIRC) but at the same time it cuts out a lot of blue light and increases color contrast. It's way too light for sunny conditions and that's why I like being able to switch between Persimmon and BIP, but for the specific climatic conditions that are common here, Persimmon is an OUTSTANDING choice.

mkmckinley
06-18-10, 11:48
I used a lot of Oakleys and the grey polarized are my favorite all- around lense in the Oakley linup. I've been trying a set in persimmon and I really like them too. However, hands down the best lenses I've used are the brown colored ones sold by Serengeti, they call it "driver". They're amazing. They noticeably improve contrast. The world seems to "pop" when I wear them. Unfortunately my only pair were run over by an armored vehicle but I'll be buying a new set as soon as I get back to the states.

t1tan
06-18-10, 12:12
Black Iridium Polarized is what I've had on every pair of Oakleys I've ever owned.

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of Oakley Jawbone with Black Iridium and Clear lenses sometime soon.

ccoker
06-18-10, 13:59
Have you had a chance to try the Rudy Projects with the Racing Red lense?

They work great in varying conditions and to my eyes are a tad sharper than Oakleys

I used to own a custom mountain bike shop and was given all sorts of sample glasses by reps...

jvencius
06-18-10, 15:22
Have you had a chance to try the Rudy Projects with the Racing Red lense?

They work great in varying conditions and to my eyes are a tad sharper than Oakleys

I used to own a custom mountain bike shop and was given all sorts of sample glasses by reps...

Yep--one of the women in our CF group has a pair of Rudys with that lens tint and they just didn't fit my planetoid-sized melon all that well when she let me try them on. OTOH, the Flak Jacket XLJ's fit me quite nicely and Mrs. JV said I looked good in 'em so that's all the reason I needed to buy a pair. ;):D:D:D

madisonsfinest
06-18-10, 21:18
My favorite lens is the ruby lens. I love the blue tint.