PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 16S Sight Adjustment Question

kizler
02-19-10, 18:43
Ok, for grins picked up a SCAR 16S. Its a little different and a little the same as my AR's, and shoots pretty well thus far- about 200 rds downrange this afternoon.

But here is where I would be interested in the wisdom of the forum...

It has these goofy sights. Just goofy. Comes from the factory pre-zeroed at 25m/300m. At my local indoor 20m range it shoot a convenient 6 inches low- my goal is usually to be 1.5inches low and this works out to a 100m zero, give or take.

Well, working toward the 1.5-2 inches low concept, the front sight ran out of "up zone". Only moved up about 1.5 inches.

Before I dump the factory sights and buy some more Troy Folders, anybody hazard a guess as to if I take the front sight WAY LOW and the rear sight up to its 400 or 500m click, if I might find the sweet spot? Or am I asking too much of this front sight / rear sight combo to get to where I can hit 1.5-2 inches low at 20m?

Anybody confused? :-) Thanks in advance.

kizler
02-22-10, 00:14
I think it boils down to this... are the sights on the SCAR capable of doing a 40m zero... or even a 100?

Seems that they are not...

Anyone know?

Thanks!

D.O.A.F.S.
02-27-10, 09:05
Mine, with the front site post run all the way down will shoot 2 inches low at 25 yards which at a 100 yards with my eyes works. I too wondered why, figured it had to do with the site highth over the bore, but haven't worried about it since I installed the Eotech. Does anyone know if the scar uses an A2 site post? If it is a shorter one is an easy fix.

kizler
02-28-10, 02:13
Spoke with Tim at FNH USA last week- he told me that the sights were specifically designed to NOT do a 100m zero per SOCOM scope. 200m was the minimum, and thus is the minimum on the sights. He was disappointed to hear I might move them off the rifle and replace with TROY BUIS, and mentioned they were a $600 set of sights.

What he did suggest was that at 200m that the zero ALSO hits at 25m, making our goal workable. My goal has always been to get 2 inches low at 25m- now if I can play it some more and make that work, great. If not, I might need to remove sights and replace... or send back to FNH as in theory it won't do a 200m zero either.

Anyway, sounds achieveable and THRILLED to hear that you have achieved this going all the way down on front site- and I assume 2 on the rear?

Thanks!

D.O.A.F.S.
02-28-10, 07:31
Spoke with Tim at FNH USA last week- he told me that the sights were specifically designed to NOT do a 100m zero per SOCOM scope. 200m was the minimum, and thus is the minimum on the sights. He was disappointed to hear I might move them off the rifle and replace with TROY BUIS, and mentioned they were a $600 set of sights.

What he did suggest was that at 200m that the zero ALSO hits at 25m, making our goal workable. My goal has always been to get 2 inches low at 25m- now if I can play it some more and make that work, great. If not, I might need to remove sights and replace... or send back to FNH as in theory it won't do a 200m zero either.

Anyway, sounds achieveable and THRILLED to hear that you have achieved this going all the way down on front site- and I assume 2 on the rear?

Thanks!

Thanks for asking the question and posting. To be honest I've shot out to 300 yards with mine, basically just for fun at a torso sized target and put 10 out of 10 on the paper which for ME impressed me. Mind you no group just on the paper, I guess my point being for me, much out past 100 yards (without an optic)I can't see well enough to put a group together. About the rear sight position, yes it was set on 2 for me to get the 2 inches low at 25 yards. This gun seems to get criticized alot (mainly by people that don't have them) but I absolutly love this thing, if I had the extra money laying around I'd buy a second in a heart beat.

kizler
03-25-10, 16:14
Finally made it back to range, and just had a better day. Understanding from my discussion with FNH that the sights were not meant to zero below a 200m zero helped, and I worked from that. I was able to get down to where it shoots as desired, and then I mounted and sighted in an Aimpoint T1 sitting on a Larue full height mount, as I have on my standard railed AR's. Works great.

Very excited to put this rifle through its paces in an upcoming class.

And I concur- I already have my eye out for a black version- might as well have a matching pair. Love this thing thus far.

Kubicide
03-25-10, 20:35
FWIW I had no trouble zero'ing to 100yds with my new black SCAR. And seems like there is still adjustment in the front post - 100 should be okay unless they have made a change. :confused:

Dave_M
03-26-10, 15:02
Huh, haven't tried a 100m zero. I did a 200m zero with mine.