PDA

View Full Version : My Pocket Gun Dilemma..Please Help

BMcDonald7
02-19-10, 19:04
Well let me first state that I am looking for a pocket gun that I can just throw on when I am wearing some light clothing as I live in Phoenix Arizona. I have narrowed my search down to 2 guns.

#1 Kahr PM9

#2 Sig P238

Purpose of the Gun
I want this pistol to fill a gap in my current pistol lineup. I have an HK P30 v3 that I prefer to use when I can conceal it. I also have an HK P2000sk 9mm LEM for when I wear slightly less concealment. I want a gun that I can just throw in my pocket if I am just wearing a plane t-shirt and shorts as I often wear in the summer. I also plan on using the gun in a smart carry holster when I am at work. Lets just say that my work is a less than a permissive environment for firearms, however I think my life is worth more than my job.

Reasons for the Kahr
1. I like the idea of the Kahr as I currently have 2 9mm pistols. I can just focus on buying 9mm instead of trying to hunt down 380 auto ammo.
2. The Kahr uses 9mm, I have complete faith in the 9mm being able to due its job if I do m part and get good hits..however I cant say I have that kind of faith in the 380.
3. The Kahr comes with an extra magazine compared to the Sig.
4. The Kahr has a DAO trigger and will fit my other guns better than the the Sig's Single action only.

Reasons for the Sig
1. I like the look of the Sig a lot better than the Kahr. If i got the Sig I would get the rosewood grips.
2. I am planning on getting a Springfield EMP 9mm soon and selling my HK P2000sk so having 2 cocked and locked pistols wouldn't be as big of a deal as I would be used to always flipping the safety off with my thumb.
3. The Sig is slightly smaller and would conceal easier than the Kahr.
4. Did I mention the Sig looks better?

I have been going back and forth. The Kahr makes more sense since it is 9mm but I would take the Sig in a heartbeat if it wasn't in 380. I have looked into tests of 380 JHP's to see if any can reliably give 12 inches of penetration and they seem too inconsistent. I've thought of using just flat nose FMJ's or even alternating between FMJ and JHP to try and solve the penetration issue.

Questions
I am left with the following questions

1. Is the 380 an ok round for the purpose I will use it for? Pocket Carry.
2. Does it matter that I might be carrying a DA/SA P30, a SA Springfield EMP, and then a DAO Kahr or SA Sig?

JHC
02-19-10, 19:45
.380 is too small for me - as far as being the only gun I'm carrying. Of the two, the Kahr seems like a far better choice to me.

williejc
02-19-10, 20:35
Most will agree that the .380acp falls short of being a good defense round. Some say that it will kill but not stop or incapacitate an attacker. He may die much later after he has already harmed the victim.

I've never had much luck carrying pocket pistols in a satisfactory manner except for j frame Smiths in a pocket holster. The other guns were too heavy or bulky, and they imprinted. For me drawing the pocket pistol is awkward. Also, how safe is the little Kahr if it's loose in your pocket? Is it like having a loaded Glock loose in your pants?
Be careful what you sit down on.

Williejc

Buckaroo
02-19-10, 21:16
I really like my PM9.

I sold my pocket .380s after deciding it just was not up to the challenge when I could get a 9mm in such a small package.

YMMV

Buckaroo

skyugo
02-19-10, 21:19
kahr has a bit of a spotty record with their polymer guns..
i don't care for the sig at all due to the SAO design and safety. i'd be very hesitant to carry a gun cocked and locked outside of a holster... being a "pocket gun" this could be an issue.

for 380's i'd probably go seecamp or something. kel tecs are alright as well.

why pocket carry? if you could go with an IWB holster or a smartcarry a glock 26 or something like that would be a much better choice.

snubby 38's are where my head always ends up when i start thinking about pocket carry.

that was a bit rambling, sorry, good luck

trio
02-19-10, 23:38
i just replaced a j-frame with a PM-9 for this very purpose...

have 210 rounds through the PM9 so far with no failure, the last 80 being hollowpoints...

i think the Kahr is plenty safe as far as pocket guns go..

I'll probably get a desantis pocket rig to carry mine around in

BMcDonald7
02-20-10, 00:09
I am leaning towards the PM9 even though I like the Sig better. Its just makes more sense to stick with 9mm. I really don't like J-Frames so they aren't an option. I have tried to carry my P30 and P2000sk with my Smart Carry but I still think it is too bulky and not comfortable for long periods of time. I think with a smaller pistol it wont be so bad. Also I would be using a pocket holster, I would never just carry a gun loose in the pocket.

I was hoping to get some insight from people that do carry a 380 on why and if they use just FMJ's or JHP's.

Thanks for all of your reply's.

kennith13
02-20-10, 00:58
My pocket pistol is a Keltec P32.

It doesn't take a .44 magnum to cause someone a world of hurt. .32 caliber firearms have accounted for a lot of trouble over the years, being used all the way from the trenches of WWI to blowing the brains out of Hitler.

I personally am not a fan of the .380. My preferences go straight from .32 to 9mm. To each their own.

In a pocket holster, mouseguns are perfectly safe. One is not meant to simply drop them into a pocket. I use a combination of holsters depending on what I am wearing. The pocket holster is great in the wallet pocket, or the front pocket if the pants permit it. My favorite is my Fobus paddle, however. With an un-tucked shirt, it never manages to print on me. I have an ankle holster for those times when it is the only option.

As for the draw, it is lightning fast from my Fobus. It only slows a bit from the pocket.

I've also got an Intratec Protec .25. I mainly purchased that for fun, however. For those times when nothing else will work, I've got several antique Colt single shots that are in perfect condition.

Laugh all you want, but many a life has been quickly ended by these tiny guns.

I have larger firearms for carry purposes, but I am perfectly happy with the Keltec.

lethal dose
02-20-10, 01:11
i like my kel tec. kahr makes a great pistol, but the subcompact kahr serves no more purpose then the kel tec does and it costs a lot more. if you wanted a larger caliber, look at a kel tec pf9.

gunnut284
02-20-10, 07:55
I have a both a Kahr PM9 and a Colt Mustang, which is very similar to the Sig, and the Kahr is the better option IMHO. The Kahr is a little bigger but I don't like the idea of a cocked and locked SA in my pocket. I'll carry my Mustang IWB but if I carry it in the pocket it goes hammer down on an empty chamber, which is a pretty poor compromise. I also have a Ruger LCP that has been 100% and is my prefered choice for a pocket gun. I find that anything heavier than the LCP rides poorly in the pocket and would be better off in a IWB holster.

sgalbra76
02-20-10, 08:12
Here's a good thread for you to read over:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

I think that the lightest, smallest, and most reliable handgun "right now" that packs a decent punch would be a J-frame revolver in .38spl+P.

rob_s
02-20-10, 08:19
I have similar dilemmas as the OP. I'm using a S&W J-frame that I got for a steal for around the house pocket carry but still haven't come up with a viable solution for dressier days at work. For most of my career I was able to wear jeans & a polo shirt under which I could conceal just about anything but lately I've taken a path that requires more conservative dress and still haven't come up with a solution I really like.

In a "make due with what you've got" mindset I've been trying out the Kel-Tec P32 that I've had for years. My normal carry is a Glock 19, so there is at least some similarity in terms of no external safety to forget about (or go needlessly hunting for), etc. However even as tiny as that gun is, I still need to hunt down a viable pocket holster for it.

Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone has any suggestions on that front, I'm sure that the OP is going to run into the same issue regardless of which option he chooses.

lethal dose
02-20-10, 09:42
i carry my kel tec in this:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/148153.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/%3FproductNumber%3D148153&usg=__1aF1zYLVx759lQZcCo0e7z7NeSY=&h=375&w=500&sz=27&hl=en&start=11&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=K8kHISg9PEk5nM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblackhawk%2Bpocket%2Bholster%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1

Jitterbug
02-20-10, 10:25
I have an early PM9 that I continue to carry in a Desantis Nemesis, front right pocket. Works well and goes just about anywhere, even if a tad slow on the draw compared to hip carry.

I'm using 147 grain Gold Dots and carry the spare mag loose in my front left pocket. I had some initial hic ups and Kahr sent me a new barrel back in 2003, I have 750 or so rounds through it now and it runs fine. Probably need to keep an eye on the recoil spring, so far it works for me.

I just purchased a S&W 442 with Crimson trace 405's for the wife's first CCW, this also carries in the front pocket nicely in a Nemesis, draw is a bit quicker then the Kahr.

Personally I prefer the little Kahr with night sights, very accurate for what it is, much more pleasant to shoot then the beastly little smith, with a much quicker reload and a very nice double action trigger.

The .38 Smith would be my second best choice and absolute minimum caliber. I'm looking into Buffaloe Bore standard pressure LSWHP 158's for it. Otherwise Gold Dot's might be a good choice?

YMMV

BMcDonald7
02-20-10, 11:46
Here's a good thread for you to read over:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

I think that the lightest, smallest, and most reliable handgun "right now" that packs a decent punch would be a J-frame revolver in .38spl+P.

I've looked over that thread several times and its the main reason why I don't have the confidence in the 380. However there are still a lot of people that carry 380 pocket guns as BUG. As far as J-Frames go I just have no love for them. I don't like how they shoot and the slower reload. Only have 5 rounds worries me as often criminals work in teams. Ive read countless threads about 380 and I still cant decide if it will be an adequate round as a last resort. Given that I will carry something bigger when I can. I guess if the PM9 can serve the same purpose it would be better to go with the more powerful round over my personal tastes in the look of the gun. That's where I am at right now, however I've flopped back and forth on this one several times.

The link below is a really cool comparison of the different size of pocket guns. As you can see the Sig is just slightly smaller than the PM9.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Jitterbug
02-20-10, 11:55
Personally I just don't see much use for the .380, unless it was considerably smaller or lighter then the PM9 or the J frame, not to mention ammo is pretty scarce isn't it?

There is what I consider to be a good Kahr thread over on Glock talk to find out the latest, I haven't been there for awhile. But generally the thread is up to date with info to help you decide.

Kahr's have had their issues, and I'm not up to speed on CS and QC.

I was talking to a shooting buddy the other night about his newer version, he's absolutely thrilled with it.

Chooie
02-20-10, 11:56
Rob_s,

http://www.grahamholsters.com/pocketholsters.htm

I carry my P3AT in a Ron Graham K-RAT and absolutely love it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/chooie/2A/DSC00032.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/chooie/2A/DSC00033.jpg

sgalbra76
02-20-10, 12:01
I've looked over that thread several times and its the main reason why I don't have the confidence in the 380. However there are still a lot of people that carry 380 pocket guns as BUG. As far as J-Frames go I just have no love for them. I don't like how they shoot and the slower reload. Only have 5 rounds worries me as often criminals work in teams. Ive read countless threads about 380 and I still cant decide if it will be an adequate round as a last resort. Given that I will carry something bigger when I can. I guess if the PM9 can serve the same purpose it would be better to go with the more powerful round over my personal tastes in the look of the gun. That's where I am at right now, however I've flopped back and forth on this one several times.

The link below is a really cool comparison of the different size of pocket guns. As you can see the Sig is just slightly smaller than the PM9.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

I actually don't like revolvers either. I use a Sig P232 as a BUG as "most" of its manual of arms mimicks my full sized duty Sigs. I am aware that its limitations are lack of penetration through barriers, and if I have to shoot through an arm before hitting my target's torso. So my ammo selection is very picky, and I work around its limitations. Better .380acp loads are the Hornady XTP 90gr, or the Hornady Critical Defense load. Both of those loads offer at least 10" of penetration. If you can't get one of those two, it might be wise to go with a FMJ to ensure good penetration.

I wouldn't jump on the Sig P238. It has mixed reviews when it comes to reliability as most tilt barrel compact .380s do. The P232 is direct blow back which is more reliable in .380 provided that the feed ramp is ideal.......which in the P232 it is. Also, the P232 has been used for years in many Federal agencies that use Sigs. Most of ours have been excellent performers in reliability, durability, and accuracy. The P232 is a bigger .380, but it handles much better than typical .380s and it is only 17oz.

Irish
02-20-10, 12:34
I used to carry a Kel Tec in this Mitch Rosen holster. It did not print in light shorts or dress pants, the front side has a suede covering that helps that. Due to an unfortunate accident I no longer have the gun. For me it was very reliable and what I mean by that is I put approx 500 rounds through it without a failure. Pocket guns like the KT are meant to be shot a little and carried a lot.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7080/img0172s.jpg

ST911
02-20-10, 12:39
There are several threads here on pocket guns and the sub/micros.

I'm not impressed with the reliability of the P238 yet. Nor am I a fan of SA pocket guns in general.

Looks of the gun mean nothing to me, and should be at the bottom of any list of criteria, if included at all.

.380s for me are 3rd or 4th guns, never a primary, and virtually never a 2nd.

maximus83
02-20-10, 13:18
The .380 is not a serious self-defense round. Search the terminal ballistics forum and the comments by DocGKR. Will it "work" at some level, is it better than nothing? Absolutely. But "nothing" is not the only alternative to .380. You can get an adequate 9mm pocket pistol that will be only marginally larger than a .380 pistol, and yet will be far more lethal.

Best 9mm Pocket Pistols I'm aware of:
* Kahr PM9 (my personal choice--carry in a SmartCarry holster)

* Rohrbaugh R9. These supposedly are extremely reliable, but not so durable, for the long term. The President of the company admits they are not made to be fired very much (we have another thread where I linked to some info about the Rohrbaugh durability issues). Which may be ok, for a deep concealment pocket pistol, but you just have to be aware of that.

Added: link to post about Rohrbaugh issues: http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=515027&postcount=19

Possible option to investigate:
* New Taurus "slim" 9mm (709 is the model, I think).
Problem with these is, Taurus has a track record. And it isn't good. Also, this gun has NO track record, nor have I tried it. Just sayin', the configuration and size looks appealing, may want to investigate.

Bottom line:
* If you want a pocket semiauto, IMHO you want at least 9mm, and probably one of the pistols above.

* If you want an alternative, I'd go to a lightweight pocket revolver in .38sp. That seems to be the popular alternative here, and we have many threads on what revolvers are the most reliable.

sgalbra76
02-20-10, 13:54
* Rohrbaugh R9. These supposedly are extremely reliable, but not so durable, for the long term. The President of the company admits they are not made to be fired very much (we have another thread where I linked to some info about the Rohrbaugh durability issues). Which may be ok, for a deep concealment pocket pistol, but you just have to be aware of that.

Ummm....no. I trust ToddG's interpretation and Tim Slemp's interpretation of the Rohrbaugh more than anyone elses.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47731
http://pistol-training.com/articles/pocket-wonder-rohrbaugh-r9s-stealth

The Rohrbaugh is notoriously unreliable. Once the recoil spring is weakened after about 100-200rds, it increases the slide cycle speed causing the magazine to not be able to keep up in feeding. With the heavier slide of normal sized 9mm pistols, there is less abuse put on the recoil spring and reliability is good. Also, since the R9S is so recoil spring dependent, it can short stroke with only the slightest hint of a weaker grip or limp wrist. This is even more evident with the short 3-finger grip. Not something that you'd want to use under stress.

Other issues with the Rohrbaugh is that it has a very slow barrel twist rate in order to reduce the torque of the recoil forces so that the pistol doesn't literally twist in your hand. This means that you are limited to 115gr loadings if you want any level of accuracy. The 9mm 115gr has a so-so terminal effects record.

If you want to go with such a small auto pistol, you really need to go with a smaller caliber in order to have the right combination of slide mass and recoil spring weight for reliable and durable function. Yes, the .380 is a little weak in the grand scheme of things......but that's the price you need to pay for a mouse-gun auto pistol with enough reliability for defense. If you don't want to pay that price, you should consider going with a revolver or a Derringer. Or you can go with a larger pistol for the 9mm. Reliability is the primary consideration for any duty/defense pistol. You can work around the caliber, but you can't work around a pistol that won't function when things have gone to shit.

lethal dose
02-20-10, 14:20
Not to mention that rorbaugh is grossly overpriced... especially considering the longevity issues. You'd be better served with a kel rec or kahr, in my opinion.

SmokeJumper
02-20-10, 15:35
I'd also have to suggest the Kahr PM9, but only go with a "new" gun and not a used Kahr. I've been using a Kahr PM9 for BUG and summer carry for a little over 2 years now. Mine has not had any problems and is qual'd with and inspected at the very least every three month period. The carry options are great too- 6, 7, and 8 rnds. mags, CTC laser if you like and numerous holster options. I have not found a decent pocket holster for it, but I hear PCS holsters make some nice carry rigs for the pocket. http://pcsholsters.com/
You mentioned that you had it narrowed down to the 2 autos you listed, but just for kicks, take a look at the S&W J-frames, 442 or 642, not a bad option. Speed loaders are bulky though, but speed strips are another alternative for a reload. Let us know what you end up with and give us a range report.

maximus83
02-20-10, 19:28
Ummm....no. I trust ToddG's interpretation and Tim Slemp's interpretation of the Rohrbaugh more than anyone elses.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47731
http://pistol-training.com/articles/pocket-wonder-rohrbaugh-r9s-stealth

The Rohrbaugh is notoriously unreliable. [snip]

I'm not going to get into the business of defending Rohrbaugh, note that I have already raised questions about its durability, and I personally bought a Kahr PM9.

However, I do not think that such a broad, universal condemnation of the pistol (by yourself--actually Tim Slemps article does not totally condemn the R9) is warranted either, based on the limited amount of information presented. I read the article by Tim Slemp, and agree it would raise concerns. But note 2 things about that article:

1. It's a sample of 1 gun.
2. He fired a total of 228 rounds to base his conclusions.

There are quite a few satisfied Rohrbaugh owners I've seen posting on this an other forums who have NOT seen such problems, so in some sense, you have to account for that. Again, I would not defend the Rohrbaugh, I would recommend the Kahr PM9 as an ideal pocket 9. However, I think that you would need a little more concrete info to convince anyone that such a blanket negative statement about the gun is justified. Just in the interest of fairness.

DMR
02-21-10, 17:03
When I was first shoping for a small pistol I had purchased a P-9. Ten years later it is still my primary. that said a few years ago I picked up a used PM-9 on a trade. I took it out a few times, but never realy liked it compared to my P-9. This fall I got the urge to to some custom work with Accuate Iron and decided to test the work on my PM-9 since I realy didn't care for it that much. I figured if I didn't like the work it was no loss for me.

I chose Mike at Accurate Iron based on a few reviews I have read online and the recommendation in particular of two hard core Kahr fans. I asked Mike to melt the slide and stipple the frame. Bowie had previously mounted XO big dot sights on it. One of the biggest advantages of using Mike at Accurate Iron is his fast turn around time compared to say Cylinder & Slide. He turned around my pistol in about 6 weeks.

Before the pics a comment on the PM line. They are realy small in many respects. That said I personaly found it the wrong size for some things. For pocket carry, i prefer my Colt Agent. The rear of the slide hangs on pants pockets for me, but I can get it out of a coat pocket. IWB I don't have enough grip to get a positive grip on my PM-9 so when I carry it I carry OWB. In the pictured Bulman holster I have a positive, consitant grip.

I took these pictures today knee deep in the snow, temp around 29

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p1.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p6.gif
Bulman holster
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p7.gif
Close up of the stippling
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p8.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p9.gif

Melted corners
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p10.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p4.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p2.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/pm9p3.gif

and last those XO sights....... not a big fan still, may have to replace them with Heinies like my other pistols.
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p5.gif

The PM-9 operates in my opion at the edges of the man machine interface. I have had no trouble with mine, but others have had problems with the Kahr PM line. Any how good luck with your search.

SmokeJumper
02-22-10, 22:25
When I was first shoping for a small pistol I had purchased a P-9. Ten years later it is still my primary. that said a few years ago I picked up a used PM-9 on a trade. I took it out a few times, but never realy liked it compared to my P-9. This fall I got the urge to to some custom work with Accuate Iron and decided to test the work on my PM-9 since I realy didn't care for it that much. I figured if I didn't like the work it was no loss for me.

I chose Mike at Accurate Iron based on a few reviews I have read online and the recommendation in particular of two hard core Kahr fans. I asked Mike to melt the slide and stipple the frame. Bowie had previously mounted XO big dot sights on it. One of the biggest advantages of using Mike at Accurate Iron is his fast turn around time compared to say Cylinder & Slide. He turned around my pistol in about 6 weeks.

Before the pics a comment on the PM line. They are realy small in many respects. That said I personaly found it the wrong size for some things. For pocket carry, i prefer my Colt Agent. The rear of the slide hangs on pants pockets for me, but I can get it out of a coat pocket. IWB I don't have enough grip to get a positive grip on my PM-9 so when I carry it I carry OWB. In the pictured Bulman holster I have a positive, consitant grip.

I took these pictures today knee deep in the snow, temp around 29

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p1.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p6.gif
Bulman holster
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p7.gif
Close up of the stippling
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p8.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p9.gif

Melted corners
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p10.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p4.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p2.gif

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/pm9p3.gif

and last those XO sights....... not a big fan still, may have to replace them with Heinies like my other pistols.
http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/PM9p5.gif

The PM-9 operates in my opion at the edges of the man machine interface. I have had no trouble with mine, but others have had problems with the Kahr PM line. Any how good luck with your search.

Your PM9 turned out great. Thanks for sharing the info. on Accurate Iron. Nice work.

Joe Mamma
02-23-10, 16:16
I didn't read all of the posts but I thought I should add one point.

I have a PM-9 that I really like. But, it's not reliable so I don't carry it any more. My understanding is that the polymer Kahrs seem to have more reliability problems than the metal framed ones. I don't know if that's true. But, if I were buying a small 9mm Kahr now, I would get a metal framed one. It's better to have a heavy gun that you can use, rather than the alternative. I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

woody d
02-23-10, 16:40
i did sorta scan thru this thread, so forgive me if this point has been made, but i recently sold my Sig 232 which was a very reliable pistol, simply because finding .380 ammo in my neck of the woods (small town Iowa) is like finding hens teeth. yet 9mm and 38 is no problem.

User Name
02-23-10, 16:52
Seen too many Kahrs particularly P9's and PM9's go tits up. I had a couple of PM9's but sold them to stay with what I trusted my J frame.

BMcDonald7
02-23-10, 17:45
Thank you for all of the replies everyone. I just found out what my tax return will be so I plan on purchasing a PM9 shortly. I decided to go with the 9mm over the 380. I'm still waiting on HK to make a pocket 9mm...then I would be in heaven :).

JLSKIP
02-23-10, 17:54
I was debating between the Kahr PM9 and the Sig P238 myself right after the P238 came out. While I have read about some reliability issues with the PM9, I read quite a few complaints about reliability of the sig right out of the gate. I've got about 800 rounds through my PM9, about 25% have been personal defense rounds. The only issues I have encountered where due to my error of installing the recoil spring backwards.

Things I've learned about my PM9 that holds true for most:

Install the recoil spring oriented in the proper direction. :)
Run 200-300 FMJ rounds through it when you get it.
Lube the top of the barrel/chamber at the ejection port once every 1 to 2 weeks.
The slide release is 100% consistent for loading a round from empty/slide lock.

I am very satisfied with my choice. Ultimately I decided that I was not comfortable carrying a .380 pistol. When it comes to weight, caliber, size the PM9 definitely stands out.

skyugo
02-23-10, 20:54
maan those little kahr pistols keep coming up...
i may have to go fondle one... even though the company is owned by some religious nutter :D

SmokeJumper
02-23-10, 21:08
Thank you for all of the replies everyone. I just found out what my tax return will be so I plan on purchasing a PM9 shortly. I decided to go with the 9mm over the 380. I'm still waiting on HK to make a pocket 9mm...then I would be in heaven :).

An HK pocket sized pistol...........now that's what I'm talking about. I'd buy!

michschi
02-23-10, 22:20
Originally Posted by skyugo
i'd be very hesitant to carry a gun cocked and locked outside of a holster... being a "pocket gun" this could be an issue.

I agree with this 100%

silentsod
02-23-10, 22:24
maan those little kahr pistols keep coming up...
i may have to go fondle one... even though the company is owned by some religious nutter :D

I can bring the PM9 to the range for you to check out.

BMcDonald7
03-08-10, 19:05
Well I decided to get the Kahr PM9. I got a good price on a barely used Black PM9 with night sights on gunbroker. Arrived today and I put 160 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions (50 115gr Federal Champion, 50 115gr Independence, 60 124gr Federal HST). So far I like it, shoots good, although I need to work on my grip. I was shooting a little low at first but I think that had to due with getting used to the trigger pull.

I do have a question for anyone out there with a PM9. I noticed that I almost had to completely let go of the trigger in order to get it to return to the reset. I also noticed how far the reset is forward, almost the complete trigger pull. This was slowing me up on my double taps as i would have to focus on letting the trigger go all the way forward. Is this normal with the Kahr?

Thanks!

Joe Mamma
03-08-10, 19:23
I do have a question for anyone out there with a PM9. I noticed that I almost had to completely let go of the trigger in order to get it to return to the reset. I also noticed how far the reset is forward, almost the complete trigger pull. This was slowing me up on my double taps as i would have to focus on letting the trigger go all the way forward. Is this normal with the Kahr?

Thanks!

Yes, it's normal. It's sort of like shooting a revolver double action.

I'm glad to hear it's functioning well.

Joe Mamma

Buckaroo
03-08-10, 19:46
Great choice! Glad it is running smoothly for you too.

I got a really good deal on a used one too. Got to test fire it at the store's range before I decided.

Really like mine and carry it a lot more than I thought I would.

Buckaroo

JLSKIP
03-08-10, 23:32
Shortly after I got my PM9, I felt the need to augment my grip. I read about a few other PM9 owners liking the Hogue Handall Jr. I bought one and trimmed the bottom to position the finger grooves properly for my hand. It made a big difference for cheap. Just a heads up.

SpinRC
03-09-10, 00:28
As far as pocket holsters go you can not beat the ones made by Robert Mika. http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

BMcDonald7
03-09-10, 07:53
I got a Fist K-5 on order for the pocket holster. I like the thumb push off for a quick draw. http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/k5.htm

I also looked at K&D holster but they had an week wait as opposed to 5-6 weeks for Fist.

Buckaroo
03-09-10, 08:31
FYI

I bought a Bianchi 20A mag pouch for a .380, dampened it and put a loaded PM9 mag in it to dry. After a couple of sessions it fits just right! I also stained mine black with a sharpie since the only one my LGS had was natural.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=20A

Buckaroo

dockbox
03-09-10, 17:42
Get a Mouse gun. People can talk all day about terminal balistics and Balistic geleatin........ Among allof the Handguns I own, which includes a S&W 340pd j frame, and four Sig sauers ( my P229 is my concealed carry gun), my Seecamp .380 alwalys goes into my back right pocket. I live in New Orleans where it gets hot in the summer time which makes it difficult to carry a larger gun. My point is thait is better to have a reliable small gun when you need than have no gun at all because its too uncomfortabel to carry. Just my opinion.

Dirk Williams
03-09-10, 17:55
Im amused, Im still carrying an older AMT.45 hard baller as my backup/pocket pistol. I carry the pistol in my pocket with one spare mag. It's old, it's heavy and it's.45 like my 1911, which I carry daily at work.

I can't beak the dam thing, it shoots straight, is stainless steel so it dosen't rust and has never failed to fire. The purpouse of this second gun for me is to un-ass a situation, not to actively engage in a gun fight.

Say or think what you want but its pretty reassuring to have a pocket full of .45 with you on and off duty.

D Williams

sjc3081
03-09-10, 19:15
I carry a Tomcat with two extra mags when I don't carry a real gun. 24 rounds of 32acp is better than not having a gun. My Tomcat is 100% reliable and at 7 yards or less I'm very good with it. My carry load is S&B ball.