PDA

View Full Version : New Guy saying hello + Questions..

LtlBear
02-19-10, 21:10
I just wanted to introduce myself here. I did not see an into section so I thought this would be as good a place as any.
I am new owner of a Stag AR15.

I have read a lot of the stuff on this forum, and I still do not have buyers remorse over my choice. I got it from a friend in need and we both did good on the deal.
I have made a few upgrades to the platform based on what I have read here.
Staked the castle nut on the buffer tube, it had no staking at all. I know wrong term, but I am a newbee.
Added a H buffer, new ejector spring, restaked the gas key and have a BCM bolt on order. I also ordered a new cam pin so I should have a few spare parts for the BCG when I am done.

I also replaced the hand guard with a Magpul MOE. I love that thing. Tight and light. I put a ERGO Sure Grip on it as well.

I realize it will still have a lower grade 4140 steel barrel, a AR15 bolt carrier, rifle feed ramps and a commercial buffer tube on it, but I can live with that. The barrel steel has been used on many a rifle in the past, and for a semi auto rifle, I don't see that as a problem. No it is not as good, and by no means am I suggesting it is, as a mil-spec steel barrel, but I seriously doubt it will fail before I wear it out in a semi auto rifle shooting primarily .223 REM ammo.
It has been completely trouble free for 400 rounds before I started doing any modes. I have only used P-Mags with it and they are the only way to go from what I have seen on other mags.

It also has a EoTech 553 SOCOM sight and a MI-ERS rear sight on it. I am happy with both of these items as well.

When I am through getting everything together, I will have a spare bolt, cam pin, and firing pin retaining pin. What additional spare parts are recommenced. The ones I have seem to be the ones in the Upper, except maybe a firing pin, but what about lower parts. Anything in the FCG I may need to keep around as a spare. I like to have parts to fix stuff when it breaks, and not wait for parts.

I am also a big 1911 pistol fan. To me they are customizable to a person's taste much like a AR15 is and can be as reliable as any other pistol out there if built and maintained properly.

lethal dose
02-19-10, 21:23
Welcome. If you truly got a good deal, it sounds like you're headed I'm the right direction on improving the reliability of your firearm. I won't lecture you since you already bought it, but be careful dumping too much cash in it because you might end up wanting to completely upgrade and sell the stag. Anyhow, welcome... read up... use the search function... then ask questions. God bless!

LtlBear
02-19-10, 21:39
Welcome. If you truly got a good deal, it sounds like you're headed I'm the right direction on improving the reliability of your firearm. I won't lecture you since you already bought it, but be careful dumping too much cash in it because you might end up wanting to completely upgrade and sell the stag. Anyhow, welcome... read up... use the search function... then ask questions. God bless!

No. not dumping money into it, and all parts are removable. I just figure for another $100 over what I spent, bolt and buffer, I can have a reliable weapon.
I never sell a gun, I only fix them up or buy more.

tracker722
02-19-10, 21:51

lethal dose
02-19-10, 21:52
Sounds familiar... Haha.