PDA

View Full Version : It’s official: US Army adopts Multicam for use in OEF

variablebinary
02-20-10, 10:37
I dont have any great hatred for ACU UCP like some. Guess we will see how this plays out.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/

I do wonder if the Brits going with a CRYE designed MC-ish camo pattern played a role in the decision

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/multicam-announcement/021810_03.jpg

The US Army announced this morning that it will begin fielding Multicam ACUs to forces flowing into Afghanistan as soon as this summer. Program officials told us explicitly that we would begin to see Mulitcam fielding in August. The Army plans to begin the fielding in two overlapping stages. The initial push will be to get Multicam on 2 units deploying for OEF this summer. Once that effort is underway, the Army will then concentrate on getting new ACU-Multicam and selected OCIE to currently deployed OEF-A soldiers.

Iraqgunz
02-20-10, 11:50
How funny. The ODA I am working wth was told that they couldn't wear the stuff they brought. Typical Army.

Armati
02-20-10, 14:01
Great, awesome, fantastic.

And, I'll believe it when I see it.

Ok, so two deploying units (Bde?) 'may' get this 'around' August? Ok, then what? Is this an Afghanistan only deal or a phase shift in thinking?

The AWG has been hammering Big Army to make this move and to lighten the soldier load. There have been some small victories but I still don't see a fundamental change in the way the bumbling Big Army does things. This Multicam deal still has plenty of hurdles to jump over.

I wouldn't start running out and buy a bunch of personal Multicam gear just yet.

Now, even if 'we' win on Multicam there is still the issue of horrible design and fit, and the cheap construction of the ACU. Ok, so they painted a turd Mulitcam. Yippie!

This daily reality check is one of my many free services.

StrikeFace
02-20-10, 14:46
Yay, crap uniforms that actually assist in camouflage. Does this mean I should sell off the pile of ACUs I have in my closet before they lose their value?

Never was a fan of UCP / ARPAT, but they should settle for mediocrity if for no other reason than to lessen the burden on the collective wallet and Private Joe's duffel bag.

What a waste of money even if the camouflage shift is a win. I think about all those tax dollars sunk into UCP / ARPAT ACU uniforms and web gear.

Should have shifted into mulitcam after BDU/DCU, but we just had to go for the Army of One fungal green/blue hero uniform.

cop1211
02-20-10, 19:30
Looks like he needs a Marine to teach him how to iron!!:D

Semper Fi.

GermanSynergy
02-20-10, 19:48
Is Big Army gonna phase out the ACU pattern completely?

m4fun
02-20-10, 20:11
I miss the camo with the wide lapels. No kidding. I think every new generation of change has troops questioning "'why?"

tirod
02-20-10, 20:48
Oh, please, wide lapels sucked, the pants were too tight and jean cut with a low rise, the cargo pocket buttons in the wrong place, the lower jacket pockets useless with a pistol belt, the cuff rolling with tapered sleeves a mass of wrinkles, the double knees had no way of inserting pads, nor the elbows, on and on.

BDU's were an improvement over fatigues, yes. As a linerless field jacket with combat overpants, not so much. I've heard similar comments on the cut of the ACU's - the zipper tops chafe in field gear, lack of belt loops, etc.

At least we now have a more useful pattern. As cheaper used surplus becomes available, I might indulge in a set of multicam. It won't surprise me that the pattern remains OCONUS for a long time - to cover someones butt for choosing gravelpitcamo in the first place.

I find it unsurprising that no one name is associated with that decision.

ZDL
02-20-10, 23:41

Armati
02-21-10, 00:52
Crye Precision Multicam Combat Uniform - good. As in, it was good when Crye first tried to lease it to Natick about 15 years ago.

Army Combat Uniform (now in Muliticam!) - still crap, now just in Multicam!

When people say they want 'Multicam' what they really mean is they want the Crye Combat Uniform in Multicam. The cut and tailoring of the Crye uniform is vastly superior to the ACU. I would personally pay twice the price if I was getting a vastly better uniform.

ACU have the cheapest, shittiest stitching on Earth. The original idea of velcro patches and no starch was to save the soldier money on sewing and laundry. Now I still have to bring my ACU's to Mrs. Kim a few time a year to get them sewn up.

variablebinary
02-21-10, 02:14
I like the way my ACU's fit just fine. I dont like BDU's one bit.

And ACU UCP is not as bad as some make it out to be. It's biggest weakness is when it is against a near green monochromatic backdrop.

UCP has a color neutral quality to it. It's gray sometimes, and greenish, and tan-ish.

http://meroveo.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/acu-mountain.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6290/p8160066.jpg

Armati
02-21-10, 09:28
There are place in Afghanistan that UCP works well - like in your pics. But there are also a lot of places where it is very bad. Afghanistan has lots of brown rock and a fair bit of green places.

Multicam would be better nearly everywhere in Iraq.

ACUs only fit well if you are really fat. I wear an XLR top and it is still too tight in chest and shoulders. The bottom fits me like a bell. Seriously, I could fit a beach ball under my uniform.

The stitching is total crap. I took the Combatives II course and had to get two shirts and a pair of pants sewn in many places. If I go to shoot a low wall, I am almost certain to blow the crotch out.

The Crye uniform has none of these problems, primarily because of their strategic use of elastic. However, it still has way better overall quality control, superior stitching, and it has an 'operators' cut for people who actually do PT.

theblackknight
02-21-10, 10:32
ACUs only fit well if you are really fat..\

The Army has no problem with that.

DeputyMend
02-21-10, 10:35
Does anyone know if ACU will be allowed as a uniform CONUS? It has always made sense to me to have more than one camo for different enviroments.

theblackknight
02-21-10, 10:40

Semper Fi.

We dont even iron cammies anymore. They look good no matter what. I could keep my blouse balled up in a hamper,take it,shake it once and it will look as good as hanging it up. Gives Marines more time for other Marine things, like drinking and drinking.

dwhitehorne
02-21-10, 12:49
We dont even iron cammies anymore. They look good no matter what. I could keep my blouse balled up in a hamper,take it,shake it once and it will look as good as hanging it up. Gives Marines more time for other Marine things, like drinking and drinking.

Tobies HooRah!

theblackknight
02-21-10, 12:56
Tobies HooRah!
Ahh! The evil that dare not speak its name.

The game you play at Tobies is to see who can count all the C-section scares first!

BiggLee71
02-21-10, 15:14

Semper Fi.

I concur Devil Dog!!! Maybe even "Irish Pennant" while he's at it!! :D

On a serious note, its about time they switched to a "good" camo pattern. Some will say negatively about Multicam that "its getting a little long in the tooth" or "there are newer, better camo patterns out there". While there may be some merit to what the detractors may say, it is debatable to what degree does "said (claimed)" deficiencies have on the end user? Personally, I would say M/C is a much better camo pattern that anything currently be fielded by the "Big" Army. I also happen to like the M/C as a camo pattern due to the fact of how it was designed and developed. Very scientific!! To me, it is the best all around compromise when it comes to camo patterns. 75% of my kit is M/C, so you can see I appreciate M/C's utility. There may be better single environment camo patterns out there but their greatest strength is also their weakness. They excel in the one environment they were designed for. Hey in an individual or an organization has that type of money that they can afford all different types of camo patterns kitted out accordingly, then hey, more power to you. For the rest of us, Multicam represents a big step in the right direction.Its a great all around camo and that is where its strength resides.

JHC
02-21-10, 17:06
deleted for rising to the USMC bait. ;)

cop1211
02-21-10, 19:01
\

The Army has no problem with that.

LOL :D

Semper Fi!!

Belmont31R
02-21-10, 19:20
Why do Marines sew their nametapes on their back pocket? So the sailors know who to thank when they are done.....;)

Good move going to MC. ACU works in a few select environments, and stands out like a sore thumb everywhere else. Most of the pictures where it looks good are either soldiers standing on gravel or against grey rocks (and their uniforms are dirty as hell).