PDA

View Full Version : Whine: Pic sizes getting out of hand

ToddG
02-20-10, 12:31
Because of the odd way the forum software displays pages with pictures, every time someone posts a pic that is HUGE it makes it nigh-impossible to read anything on that page of a thread. This has been happening with greater and greater frequency as folks get high-res cameras but don't take the 8 seconds necessary to learn how to host and post more appropriate sized images.

I know on many forums, the software allows a max size for images, and/or displays a default size (like 600x450) and allows readers to click the image for the larger version. Alternatively, there are systems like HKPRO's where a single post with a very wide picture doesn't change the format (width) of the other posts in the thread.

I've got a notebook with 1440px wide screen and if a maximized window still isn't big enough for me to read text without scrolling back and forth each line, I just skip the thread entirely at this point.

Jay Cunningham
02-20-10, 12:34
Agree.

I have been making it a point lately to delete pics and ask the OP to resize if they are retarded big. Anyone who comes across a thread with a huge pic please drop me a line and I'll be sure to try to fix it (by getting the OP to fix it)...

Gramps
02-20-10, 13:15
I'm with Todd on this one all the way. There are a lot of people who can't/don't have large screens for this.

We keep all our pics on our PC small, it takes up a lot less space, and we can increase one if we want to when the time comes.

How do those who read these on a phone or ipod get along with the big pics? I don't have one and have always wondered this.

PS: You can almost go to any pic thread and find some. I just was at the "Show us your reload bench" and there are more at the end there too.

Whootsinator
02-20-10, 13:21
The mobile device, whatever it may be, should automatically scale everything down. To get a quick illustration of this, hold your CONTROL key and SCROLL DOWN a few times.

bkb0000
02-20-10, 13:24
The mobile device, whatever it may be, should automatically scale everything down. To get a quick illustration of this, hold your CONTROL key and SCROLL DOWN a few times.

CRAZY!

SpeedRacer
02-20-10, 13:38
I find the only thing more annoying than huge pics is people who quote them to comment on them. Especially when there's multiple pics in a post.

orionz06
02-20-10, 14:02
I find the only thing more annoying than huge pics is people who quote them to comment on them. Especially when there's multiple pics in a post.

make it a point to break the image tag by adding a letter, space, or other character.

[IMG.]http://fgghghfgh

Stickman
02-20-10, 14:07
I keep my images sized at 1024x692 as 1024 seems to be the size which fills a screen without going over the edges. Going back 6 or 7 years ago, 800x600 was about as large as an image could be posted on a forum without causing problems.

There are a few boards that have software built in that resize images if they are above a certain size.

I'm with Todd, I don't bother scrolling back and forth, I just ignore the thread, regardless of the topic or subject matter. I don't see where people can really complain if a mod goes in a changes their [img] to a [url] if they post a ridiculous size.

ColdDeadHands
02-20-10, 18:52
I keep my images sized at 1024x692 as 1024 seems to be the size which fills a screen without going over the edges. Going back 6 or 7 years ago, 800x600 was about as large as an image could be posted on a forum without causing problems.

There are a few boards that have software built in that resize images if they are above a certain size.

I'm with Todd, I don't bother scrolling back and forth, I just ignore the thread, regardless of the topic or subject matter. I don't see where people can really complain if a mod goes in a changes their [img] to a [url] if they post a ridiculous size.

Ditto! the most recent pic in the AR Picture thread is ridiculously large. It's even to big for my 24" screen.

HeavyDuty
02-20-10, 20:07
vBulletin has a feature where any embedded image over a certain size is displayed as a thumbnail and link - I can't remember if it's integral to a certain version or a hack, I'll see if I can find out.

I restrict most of my pics to 800 wide. I prefer 1000 but some sites resize it down and destroy what little quality is left after uploading to Photobucket.

bobvila
03-01-10, 03:35
The GIANT pics in the ar picture thread right now are ridiculous, it locked up my browser.

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 04:14
Okay, thanks for alerting us. Would a "Picture Posting Test Thread" help solve this issue?

bobvila
03-01-10, 04:19
It might if people used it, and had instructions on how to post pics.

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 04:22
It might if people used it, and had instructions on how to post pics.

10 - 4

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 04:27
Okay, since you guys in this thread brought the issue to our attention, you can help fix it.

Come up with a simple & clear description of how to properly post pics and I will include it in the first post of a Test Thread. Also decide the upper limit for what size pics should be... some type of common standard that does not require manually cropping.

Help me... help you.

:cool:

ColdDeadHands
03-01-10, 06:42
How to post pics.

1. Go to www.photobucket.com & sign up for free.
2. Log in, click on the "Upload Pictures" button.
3. After the Upload is completed you can add a title and save& return to album.
4. Mouse over the pic you want to post and right click on the "IMG" link, select copy (Command +C for mac users).
5. go to the post you want to display the picture in and right click, select paste (Command + V for mac users).
6. Click submit reply. Your picture will be displayed in a size that doesn't take a 50" screen to see it. Photobucket resizes the picture automatically to a decent size.

there might be other picture hosting sites but I've found that photobucket works the best.

kmrtnsn
03-01-10, 09:07
I am less perturbed about the picture size as I am about people finding the need to copy/quote the same picture seven times in subsequent posts in the same thread.

larry0071
03-01-10, 09:15
Ditto on using Photo Bucket. Set your default image size at 800x600 or 1024x768 (no larger than this!) and link from there. Problem solved and your not wasting M4Carbines bandwidth and server to host your photos.

glockeyed
03-01-10, 10:49
on the gto board there is a plugin/hack(not sure) that auto sizes it to about 800 wide. then if you want to see it larger, you can lick on it and it shows the original.

just thought id mention it.

Littlelebowski
03-01-10, 11:00
PHPBB3 allows you to set this. I find it odd that VB forum software you have to buy wouldn't have this feature.

orionz06
03-01-10, 11:05
800x600 is good enough, I think when the information presented cannot be shown in 800x600 you should use better photos or more photos.

1024x768 is fine for most, but still is a tad large to deal with when you factor in the other stuff on the screen.

For those who struggle with this, I would offer to resize for them. I will also look ona few other forums later today to see their rules for photo sizes.

rob_s
03-01-10, 11:12
I am less perturbed about the picture size as I am about people finding the need to copy/quote the same picture seven times in subsequent posts in the same thread.

Dear God yes. There's several instances of that in the damn VTAC rail thread. Baby Jesus ****ing wept.

Ditto on using Photo Bucket. Set your default image size at 800x600 or 1024x768 (no larger than this!) and link from there. Problem solved and your not wasting M4Carbines bandwidth and server to host your photos.

Simplest answer, and the least amount of dramaticals. Let the poster deal with waiting all day for the upload and let photobucket resize it automatically.

on the gto board there is a plugin/hack(not sure) that auto sizes it to about 800 wide. then if you want to see it larger, you can lick on it and it shows the original.

just thought id mention it.

I thought I had seen this on many forums in the past. Seems like an even better answer than the photobucket thing.

I'm by no means a computer or internet whiz, but frankly if a person can't figure out how to size, host, and post pictures then whatever is shown in that picture is probably pretty damn inconsequential to begin with. ;)

orionz06
03-01-10, 11:13
Dear God yes. There's several instances of that in the damn VTAC rail thread. Baby Jesus ****ing wept.

Simplest answer, and the least amount of dramaticals. Let the poster deal with waiting all day for the upload and let photobucket resize it automatically.

I thought I had seen this on many forums in the past. Seems like an even better answer than the photobucket thing.

I'm by no means a computer or internet whiz, but frankly if a person can't figure out how to size, host, and post pictures then whatever is shown in that picture is probably pretty damn inconsequential to begin with. ;)

The trick is to require that the person quoting breaks the IMG tag. There is no reason to repeat a 4mp image that isnt in focus anyway 7 times on one page...

Perhaps it could tie in with a short discussion on ways to take good pics for posting.

ColdDeadHands
03-01-10, 12:02
I'm guilty of quoting a pic once or twice myself in the past...mostly when I just woke up. I do try tho to just remove the image link whenever I quote somebody. Glocktalk has the smallest pictures I've noticed. They automatically resize the pics somehow.

Evil Colt 6920
03-01-10, 12:38

I use also photobucket to get my pics posted, how do you set a default image size on there? Im on photobucket now looking around but haven't found anything. I don't think my pics are too big, at least no where near the size of many others ive seen. I just want to make sure by checking my defaults

And I agree about whats been said about reposting pics in quotes. I see too many repeated several times on the same page of a thread. I think that should be reserved for people with a question about a pic thats on a previous page, just so we don't have to jump around to answer the question.

orionz06
03-01-10, 14:03
Rules from several forums (in no particular oder):

- Please limit image size to 800x600. This allows all users to view the image. If a user wishes to obtain a larger image, utilize the PM system.

- Please break the image tags when quoting images. This prevents the image from being repeated over and over again.

- Please post images that are useful. Consult users in the "Photography" sub forum for help with your device if you wish to take better pictures. Please do not clutter existing threads asking how to take the same picture.

- Please do not ask for pictures of people in other users images publicly. There is a risk that there is a minor in the image and the website could be held responsible for any accusations.

- Please limit the number of images if possible. If it can be shown with 1 image instead of 5, please take the effort to use only 1 image. This will help users with slower connections to view and add to the topic at hand.

All of these rules are for the benefit of all. Many users may simply ignore your question if they dont feel you took the effort to be courteuous. The one user who ignores the thread might just have the answer.

Comprised from many threads on PBNation.com, Shockerowners.com, VWVortex.com, and MKVGti.com

bobvila
03-01-10, 17:44
I use also photobucket to get my pics posted, how do you set a default image size on there? Im on photobucket now looking around but haven't found anything. I don't think my pics are too big, at least no where near the size of many others ive seen. I just want to make sure by checking my defaults

If you click on your pic in photobucket, then mouse over it the resize tab will show at the top. If you click it all the image editing options will be there.

Stickman
03-01-10, 20:08
800x600 is too small for people running modern computers. The details are lost at that size.

ColdDeadHands
03-01-10, 20:08
800x600 is too small for people running modern computers. The details are lost at that size.

I agree.

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 20:33
Okay guys, thanks for all of the help. How about the following:

I'll start an Official Picture Test Thread.

Then I'll post Rules for posting in Pic Threads:

- Please limit image size to 1024x768. This allows all users to view the image. If a user wishes to obtain a larger image, utilize the PM system.

- Please break the image tags when quoting images. This prevents the image from being repeated over and over again.

This seems simple and should solve the issue. Is there anything I am missing here?

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 20:36
Perhaps it could tie in with a short discussion on ways to take good pics for posting.

Photographing Firearms and Gear (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33201)

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 20:53
Okay, here it is:

Picture Posting Test Thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48574)

orionz06
03-01-10, 20:58
Photographing Firearms and Gear (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33201)

Ahh, good call

Okay, here it is:

Picture Posting Test Thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48574)

looks good

ToddG
03-01-10, 20:59
Thanks for taking the lead on this, Katarzan!

As for the "quoting images" thing, I agree it's annoying but it doesn't increase download times or bandwidth. Your computer has the image buffered by that time and as soon as it's called for, it just pulls from the buffer.

bobvila
03-01-10, 21:50
Is the test thread going to stay on this board?

Jay Cunningham
03-01-10, 22:03
Is the test thread going to stay on this board?

What do you mean?

danpass
03-01-10, 22:07
it would be better if the board code automatically converting quoted pics to urls instead of keeping them as imgs.

I know that ar15.com does that

bobvila
03-01-10, 22:23
I was just thinking if the thread was on the same board as the picture thread it might be used more. But that might be a pain because of all the boards with pic threads.