PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a reloader

marh415
02-20-10, 13:02
I thinking about starting to reload my .223, what is a good reloader to start off with? It doesn't have to be a multi stage loader, just something reliable and not to expensive.

marh415
02-20-10, 13:19
Oh no... posted in the wrong area!

tracker722
02-20-10, 14:51

Thomas M-4
02-20-10, 15:10
I am new to reloading also.
I bought a used RCBS rock chucker kit and was going to pick up a trimmer, primer tool, and powder thrower the ones that came with the kit are in bad shape but everything else was good. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of .223 brass I have cleaned, deprimed and sized half the bucket so far which has led me to the conclusion that I will need a dillon 550 if I ever want to be able to blast 500++ or more rounds a month. Really depends on how much you want to shoot if its a couple hundred rounds a month most single stage kits will do. If you are wanting to shoot more then you might want to look at a progressive.

silvery37
02-20-10, 15:52
You can get by with a RCBS rockchucker. I use it for my precision ammo and it works very well. If you are shooting more than 400-500 rounds a month using a single stage press will get old. You will end up spending more time reloading the ammo then shooting it. If you want to be efficient at all using a singe stage press you will need some sort of powder drop. I only weigh every charge for precision rifle stuff.

I have a Dillon 550B. If everything is moving smoothly I can crank out 100 rounds of pistol in 15 minutes. It is just a little longer for rifle. Rifle takes a little more work because you will need to eventually trim the brass. I have never trimmed my 9mm brass and reuse it until I lose it.

I just recently tried loading some precision rifle rounds with the Dillon. I am using tac powder and 77smk. I am going to shoot them this weekend and see how consistent they are.

Fire_Medic
02-20-10, 16:05
The Dillon 550 will do it all for pistols and 223. Cry once and buy right.

Check out Brian Enos forums for info on the Dillon machines.

tip2oo3
02-20-10, 18:18
+1 single stage. I bought a RCBS Jr press off ebay for 35-40 bucks and it works great. I wouldn't bother with a progressive until you get the hang of reloading. I'm looking at upgrading to a Redding turret press when funds permits.

tip2oo3
02-20-10, 18:31
Also make sure you buy more than one manual and READ them.

Detmongo
02-20-10, 19:14
i will also say Dillion 550. i load 06, and even 45-70 on mine.

strambo
02-21-10, 00:40
Dillon 550B for one great do it all press. I got a Square Deal B as a gift, awesome gift, but only loads handgun. My single stage Lee was enough to load precision ammo for a bolt gun on...but I'm gonna get a 550B now that I'm into AR's more.

ralph
02-21-10, 08:57
I thinking about starting to reload my .223, what is a good reloader to start off with? It doesn't have to be a multi stage loader, just something reliable and not to expensive.

How much shooting do you do a month?? I used a single stage press for 19 yrs. If you shoot more than say,200 rnds a month then you might want to consider a progressive press. With a single stage, even after all the case prep work is done, (resize, trim if needed, tumble, to remove case lube), you still have to assemble, (Prime the case, fill with powder, seat the bullet) This is going to take time, and of course the more cases you have to load, the longer this is going to take. I know, I went through the same thing. I finally went progressive (Dillon 550) as I could no longer keep up with the mountian of brass that I'd create shooting after a afternoon of shooting a M1 Garand, my AR, and a couple .45's I have. I'm not going to automatically tell you a progressive press is needed, A turret press may work well enough for less money, You have to figure up your needs, and consider possible loading of other calibers (pistol rounds,for example) and how much you want to spend. Take some time and do some research.

blade_68
02-21-10, 09:25
I'd recomend finding a copy of Richard Lee's Reloading book for reading as a good start for info. I been using a Lee Pro 1000 for 9mm reloading and few single stage presses for rifle loads.. a single stage as stated above is ok for loading a few boxs of rounds but when its feeding a AR or such it will be to slow and time consuming ie: a hobby in its self. setting up a progresive will take care of right at the start. as said buy one time. you can reload one at a time with a progressive setting it up and or getting load right and cost effective loads. most of the companys making reloading equipment are good. I have a lee hand press so I can adjust loads at range for some rifle calibers.

hozer
02-21-10, 11:43
The Dillon 550 is a great option. You can use it as a progressive or even as a single stage of sorts.

Caliber conversions are cheap and simple to swap out.

Highly recommended.

Get it through Brian Enos and save a little $$$ to boot.

And get a carbide size die while you are getting one. They are worth it.

mpom
02-21-10, 14:54
If you end up reloading regularly, you will end up with a Dillon 550. So, you can cut the chase and start with it, but go slow and pay attention to the details, such as making sure every case gets a powder charge, etc. Using the 550 for 223, I initially use it as single stage by having a shellplate with only a deprimer, clean the cases, then run them again single stage style for resizing. Then the progressive part kicks in when I prime, charge with powder and seat bullet, all at the same time at the separate stations.
If you are intimidated or don't have the funds and want to start with a single stage for whatever reason, the Hornady with the lock and load easy die change system is a great choice, better than the RCBS, and I own the RCBS. As folks say, READ the manuals, as this endeavor is high risk.

Mark

marh415
02-21-10, 18:04
How much shooting do you do a month?? I used a single stage press for 19 yrs. If you shoot more than say,200 rnds a month then you might want to consider a progressive press. With a single stage, even after all the case prep work is done, (resize, trim if needed, tumble, to remove case lube), you still have to assemble, (Prime the case, fill with powder, seat the bullet) This is going to take time, and of course the more cases you have to load, the longer this is going to take. I know, I went through the same thing. I finally went progressive (Dillon 550) as I could no longer keep up with the mountian of brass that I'd create shooting after a afternoon of shooting a M1 Garand, my AR, and a couple .45's I have. I'm not going to automatically tell you a progressive press is needed, A turret press may work well enough for less money, You have to figure up your needs, and consider possible loading of other calibers (pistol rounds,for example) and how much you want to spend. Take some time and do some research.

Right now I'm shooting between 100-200 rounds a month through my AR. I would like to start reloading my handgun ammo also, so a press that does both would be good.

mpom
02-21-10, 19:03
If you are going to reload pistol ammo, a progressive makes even more sense than reloading for rifle. Once cases are cleaned, just run them through and loaded ammo comes out! Much, much faster than single stage.
Brian Enos' site is good and if you call him, he'll sell you only what you need. Very ethical and informative. His forums, particularly reloading, has a ton of info and a good search function.

Mark

LonghunterCO
02-21-10, 19:21
[QUOTE=hozer;578760]The Dillon 550 is a great option.
[QUOTE]

His site seems to have the same pricing as Dillions site?

marh415
02-21-10, 19:49
I will check that site out.

chadbag
02-21-10, 19:53
The Dillon 550 is a great option.

His site seems to have the same pricing as Dillions site?

Yes it is a requirement that Dillon sets. Places like me, enos, etc tend to offer cheaper shipping or free shipping etc.

chadbag
02-21-10, 19:56
And get a carbide size die while you are getting one. They are worth it.

Why do you think a carbide size die (rifle I assume) is worth it? Just wondering. For most people, purely economically, the steel sizing die is a better deal. The carbide die will last longer but most of us will have a hard time wearing out a steel size die and if you do, you can buy another steel size die and still be in it for less. In fact (looking at 223 prices as a base line), you could buy a yet another steel size die if you wear out the second one, and only be behind a few dollars (less than 5 if the math is right). Some people say the carbide die is smoother. I have a carbide die and did not notice that but it may be true. But the cases are lubed anyway so the difference should be negligible. And now I trim with the Dillon trimmer which sizes and trims at the same time so I don't use my carbide size die any more anyway...

four
02-22-10, 12:21
I've always thought the carbide dies were smoother, even before I was aware there was contention on the issue. While I do lube my necked cartridges, I do it because it makes the stroke faster and easier.

All that said I don't know that it's a deal breaker, but I'd spring for the carbide dies again if I knew then what I know now. I don't know that I have a compelling reason to tell someone else that it's Carbide or nothing, though. I will say this, it seems to take longer to get them dirty than the steel dies. But That's pure conjecture too.