PDA

View Full Version : Did I steer my friend the wrong way?

Whootsinator
02-20-10, 13:54
One of my buddies online told me he was looking to purchase an AR-15, and said he was looking at Rock River Arms, DPMS, and Bushmaster because that's what the local gunshop had in stock. After telling him to pause any and all thoughts of purchasing until I could talk to him, I compiled this build for him. Telling him that could have either a great quality plain rifle for ~$1,000, and upgrade rails/sights/etc. later, or a used tacti-cool Rock River from the funshop for $800, he decided to go with quality. Keeping that in mind, and using my lurking experience on this board, I put together this list for him. Before he purchases all of this, how did I do? Should I make any changes, did I accidentally give him any false information?

Noveske Upper Half w/ Mid-length Gas System -$875
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lrb-556&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Noveske Lower Receiver - $0
(Free with Purchase of Noveske Upper Receiver, but will require a transfer fee)

Magpul Lower Receiver Kit - $149
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/598.php

$875
$0
$149

Subtotal - $1,024

+$20 Transfer Fee
+Shipping (?)

Rifle Total - $1,039 + Shipping

OPTIONS:
Bravo Company Maching Extractor Upgrade Kit (Optional but highly recommended) - $11.95
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20%203pack.htm

Bravo Company Maching Bolt Carrier Group Upgrade (Optional but you'll be fine without) - $139.95
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

$11.95
$139.95

Options Total - $151.90 + Shipping

$1,039
$151.90

Full Total - $1,190.90 + Shipping

NOTES:
This isn't a completely assembled rifle. You will have to assemble the lower receiver by putting all of the springs and levers
and crap in there, to put it in Layman's terms. It's simple with free and detailed guides available online, and allows you to learn how the weapon operates.
You also save quite a bit of money.

The free lower receiver you'll receive with the upper receiver is a factory second, pulled from the main batch because of minor
visual imperfections that do not affect function at all. Noveske is incredibly picky, and 90% of the people who get their 'factory seconds'
can't even find the defect that led to its being pulled off the main line. It saves you AT LEAST $100, and you get the Noveske name on it.

If you want to upgrade your bolt carrier group, you have to do it now, in the beginning. You can't do it later. The upper
receiver and the bolt carrier group wear together, and after that happens it's best not to mix-and-match. The Noveske BCG
will almost definitely be fine. The difference between the BCM and the Noveske BCG is that Noveske batch-tests their bolt
carrier groups. After a certain production run, they'll test a bolt carrier group or maybe even a few, and call the whole
batch good. Bravo Company Maching tests every single one of their bolt carrier groups. Noveske is an amazing company and
makes top-notch stuff, it should be fine, but BCM is considered better for their more stringent testing.

I chose for you Noveske's Recce upper receiver, instead of their Carbine upper receiver. The only difference is the gas system.
A carbine gas system is shorter, operates at MUCH higher pressures, and because of those higher pressures wears out parts faster.
The mid-length Recce upper receiver is WELL worth the extra $15.

The extractor upgrade kit is highly recommended. It helps to ensure proper extraction and ejection. A very cheap and simple upgrade.

Thomas M-4
02-20-10, 13:59
Easiest way would be to buy a complete lower LMT or BCM $310-$350 then buy complete upper BCM or LMT $485 then BCG $130.
Then you have to get CH , HG and BUIS.

After second look you seem to have it fig out;)

Belmont31R
02-20-10, 18:59
I would not personally trust anything from CMMG but its not my gun, and I have read too many bad CS reports to want to do business with them should something go wrong.

I run CMT/Stag LPK's with Colt bolt catch, mag catch, and safety selector from Brownells. If you stick with the USGI trigger they also have those parts. CMT is fine for the pins and springs. Brownells offers a mil/leo discount so the prices will be about 10-15% less than whats listed on their website. Mil/leo also get a discount ordering direct from Noveske.

The BCM extractor upgrade is fine. Take the Noveske extractor, and pull the spring and blue insert out. Clean the extractor with a solvent like alcohol or acetone. Put the black insert in the new spring, and put a small drop of super glue in the "hole" where the insert and spring sit in the extractor. Install new black insert and spring. Hold in place until the glue dries. If you dont the insert and spring will not be held in place. You do not need the black o ring in a non-SBR gun.

Whootsinator
02-20-10, 19:46
Thanks for the input guys. I knew the o-ring wouldn't be needed, but they're included anyway.

djegators
02-20-10, 23:50
Don't overlook the BCM stuff.

Complete Lower: $350
16" mid length upper, BFH barrel: $525
BCG and CH: $140
Std hand guards: $23

Total: ~$1050...then add rails, BUIS, and whatever other options you might like, and no building it yourself.

And if you don't care about the BFH barrel, knock another $100 off.

Whootsinator
02-21-10, 00:55
Well, he is on a budget and $1,039 for a complete rifle will probably appeal to him more than having to add on the cost of BUIS too. I'll let him know what his options are.

phx223
02-21-10, 08:00
I am currently doing what you recommended your friend to do. My shipping costs were 30 for the upper 8 for the lower (even if you mail them together...). And palmetto charges 7 bucks to ship thier kit (but after reading about 6061 vs 7071 al re I am going with a different build).

So you are looking at 1081 for a complete quality Noveske rifle vs 1228 for a BCM with a troy buis. Get the Noveske and buy 147 dollars of ammo (not to mention you also get a better fh).

Just be sure to tape up your lower with painters tape prior to putting it together (keep it purdy).

DeputyMend
02-21-10, 10:24
You did good by your friend, that looks like a great setup.

I would suggest a good sling and light to him. G&R Tactical has VCAS slings for $54.95 and a Surefire G2 with Vltor G series mount for $66.00. So for $121 he can have a great sling and light that will multiply the usefulness of his weapon and his ability to use it ten fold.

I think I read somewhere that Grant offers a discount to forum members here, so that might help.

Scoby
02-21-10, 11:05
You did well. Your bud is GTG.