PDA

View Full Version : Anybody making their own kydex gear?

DeputyMend
02-20-10, 17:09
I have been looking around at some DIY kits and raw materials and it doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to do. I am interested in making holsters and sheaths as a fun thing to do. Does anybody have firsthand experience with this?

TxSoldier
02-20-10, 17:53
I've thought about this as well before. I'm curious also to see if you get much response to this thread. Could be a fun, useful hobby to pick up. Assuming it's not too expensive that is!!

R.D.
02-20-10, 18:33
I've played around with it a little. It is very inexpensive to give a try . I purchased from knifekits.com . I've just made a few knife sheaths held together by Chicago screws.

I just started by warming the kydex in a old oven I have for nonfood related items, forming with oven mits and trimming with bench grinder and a dremmel tool. I later bought their foam and built a clamp setup that is much better as it warps the kydex less.

I'm a hack for sure but it's fun and the sheaths have held up for years. I'm sure there are other more experienced members who will have a more profesonial point of view. Just my experience on the subject.

There was an article in SWAT a year or two ago on the subject as well.

muttman
02-25-10, 16:31
this thread got me thinking about this. I just purchased a few items from knifekits.com and and texasknife so I will let you know what turns out. I pickedup a $10 counter top oven off craigslist and have some scrap wood (from another project) in the garage that I can make a clamp from.

Anyway eager to see pictures of others projects or hear idea of what you would like to make.

PRGGodfather
02-25-10, 16:54
I've made several sheaths, cuff cases and multi-tool cases using knifekits.com as the source. Simply, making your own kydex gear is fun, but making a profit for others requires making several at a time to make it cost-effective. Essentially, you can make 5 sheaths in the same time as one -- so time is money.

I haven't made any gun holsters... yet.

Anyone who has worked with leather will find kydex pretty simple. It can be a bit messy with kydex smell and dust all over, though.

Basic things you will want to start:

Oven for heating the material -- about 200-250 degrees for 7-10 minutes depending on thickness of the kydex -- and once warm, it should feel floppy, almost like felt (when you can smell it, it's done)
.080 Kydex is the standard, but thinner Concealex is easier to work, even with just a heat gun.
Purchase the 12" foam square and cut in half for most sheaths. You can buy the press, or put a wooden board on top of the foam and stand on it until the kydex is cool
Get the 1/4" hand tools, fasteners and rivets for ease of use and flexibility -- 1/4" standard drill bit for making the holes
Band saw is the way to go to make cuts, and long smooth cuts are less work than heavy angle cuts, and actually look more finished (use glasses and a dust mask, as there will be bits everywhere)
Polish edges with a polishing wheel and jewelers rouge, and the end product will look very professional
Highly recomment the BladeTech belt clips and Molle loks for flexibility and security, but such issues are based on your need, not mine...

Here is one I made for a colleague of mine, who is the Regional SWAT Commander:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s257/eanormandy/Guns/NicksTacSheath.jpg

I find making things therapeutic, and enjoy making kydex gear.

Hope that helps!

wes007
02-25-10, 19:26
It seems like an easy and fun Saturday afternoon project but Ive never found an in depth tutorial.
Im assuming that something like this takes a little bit of practice to get good at it and a great skill to have when mastered

TxSoldier
02-25-10, 20:52
Did you see they have digital camo kydex now? That's kinda cool. I was just on that knifekits.com and it's on their front page.