PDA

View Full Version : Optic or Carry Handle?????

sabresbrs
02-20-10, 17:28
Hey guys I am getting an SBR (11.5 Sabre) as soon as my stamp comes back in. My question is should I put an optic or should I go with the old school carry handle? I love the way the carry handle looks! But optics do make it easier to hit animals on the run. BTW I will also be running a can as well. Thanks! Any pics would be appreciated.

SWATcop556
02-20-10, 18:47
Knowing how to effectively use deploy your irons is a required skill but I find it hard to justify not running a quality optic.

I see no reason to not make yourself more combat effective.

The only reason to run the carry handle IMO is if you are building a retro build. If you have the money then pick up the optic.

Ridge_Runner_5
02-20-10, 19:27
My vote goes to an Aimpoint T1 Micro

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2676/fleximage0q.jpg

sabresbrs
02-20-10, 20:21
Thanks guys for your input. i had an EOTECh on my last ar-15, but found myself always concerned about keeping it turned on due to the battery going out. I know that it would run forever on the batteries but I did not like not having a gauge to see exactly how much battery I had left. I understand that the aimpoints can stay turned on for like 50K hours or something before changing the battery which is one reason that is leading me to an aimpoint. A common scenario for me would be that I would ride through the fields and see maybe a hog and have to turn on my optic and lose valuable seconds that the hogs could run away. I had no BUIS so I had to wait until the EOTECH fired up. However, I could always get more on the run shots with the EOTECH compared to standard iron sights. When the sun went down the EOTECH was always a plus because it could pick up targets at low light much better than iron sights. I also found myself alot more cautious with my weapon when I had a 400 dollar optic on it, which made me baby my ar all the time. I think I am leaning more towards just the carry handle.

warpigM-4
02-20-10, 20:56
You could get a flip up rear sight or a cut down carry handle fixed rear sight.I think you should always have iron sights ,it is just a good option to be able to not rely solely on a battery.they also have Night sights for your AR's front post and rear aperture .I have never used them But it would be a plus for you in low light conditions .I think you would be GTG on the Aimpoint .I want one myself:D

sabresbrs
02-20-10, 21:04
What about an aimpoint mounted on the carry handle? Would that look stupid?

m4fun
02-20-10, 21:12
I think a great compromise would be to a Larue fixed BUIS to the rear and if you dont already have an integrated fixed FSB get a DD or LMT fixed FS. That way, no need to flip up anything. Marry this with an Aimpoint T1 and a high mount so your irons cowitness in the lower 1/3 of the optic.

And the new Aimpoints have a rediculously long battery life.

Here is the latest - LWRC SBR:

sabresbrs
02-20-10, 21:31
That is a great idea M4fun. I will prob go with an LMT fixed rear sight though.

tibis3383
02-20-10, 21:49
I will agree with the poster above that it is very important to know how to use the regular irons but the use of a red dot sight will increase your effectiveness. I know that there are cantilever eotech mounts that you can use with a carry handle and still achieve a co witness but am unsure if there are any for the aimpoints. In your application I would want a cowitness ability just in case. Good luck.

Semper Fi

Tim

lethal dose
02-20-10, 21:57
Go the optics route. I have the h-1 with kz tall mount. $450 from botach. The carry handle would be nice on a retro build... I'm putting one one my spike's upper and doing a retro .22 build for cheap irons practice. Optic on my shtf upper.

Evil Colt 6920
02-20-10, 23:46
Go ahead and put some optics on it. You can always swap them out for the carry handle sites if you feel the need to shoot the irons:p I prefer......both:D My 6920 has eotech and my spikes 22 build uses the 6920's carry handle.
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr339/shotgunspree/002-1.jpg

sabresbrs
02-21-10, 08:45
ok you guys talked me into it. the final application will be an eotech (b/c it is cheaper than aimpoint) and a LMT fixed rear sight. That set up will let me co-witness right?

SWATcop556
02-21-10, 08:51
FWIW the EOthingy and Aimpoint aren't that far apart. Use your irons another month or two then grab an Aimpoint. Get an H1 and a Larue mount and call it a day.

lethal dose
02-21-10, 09:04
Like I said... botach has the h-1 and kz rtz mount for $470 then 10% stimulus discount. I paid under $450 for the package and that included 2nd day air shipping. Talk to Dan, he will get you squared away. That's cheaper then any desirable eotech, will take abuse, and is sure to satisfy. I really like the eotech reticle, but they have spotty qc and terrible battery life. Read reviews on the forum. Lotta people selling brand e for brand a. There are servicemen and industry pros that have shared real life experiences with them and have little good to report. With the deal at botach, you'd be smart to go that route... it's cheaper from them for the mount and optic then just the optic anywhere else... if you don't like the mount, sell it for $40 and buy another. When it comes to making a purchase like this, buy once, cry once... except in this case... you won't cry at all. Dan from botach is a member on here- talk to him.

sabresbrs
02-21-10, 10:10
Thanks lethaldose, you do have a point. It seems everyone says aimpoint is the best.

Evil Colt 6920
02-21-10, 11:16
I went with eotech557 because my weapons primary job is home defense. If you havent looked thru one, you should. I have several friends running eotechs and they all cried when the look through my 557for the first time. The 557's reticle is different from other eotechs, its made specifically for the ballistics of the 223/556

sabresbrs
02-21-10, 11:24
I have seen those. The three little dots for bullet drop. To be honest, I do like the single dot of the aimpoint, but it seems like the eotech would be tougher due to the metal hood that surrounds it. I think I need to just pick one on the spur of the moment and go with it and not look back.

Evil Colt 6920
02-21-10, 11:38
With eotech, aimpoint, or acog I really dont think any of them will disappoint you. They are all great optics, another reason i went with eotech is because I wanted a 3x magnifier also and found them sold together for $900.

Severian
02-21-10, 12:10
Be sure to buy a combo kit from LaRue, you'll get the optic of your choice plus the best quick-release mount in the industry for not much more than others sell the optic alone (if not less).

dmanflynn
02-21-10, 22:33
Thanks lethaldose, you do have a point. It seems everyone says aimpoint is the best.

Oh now, don't let these haters steer you from an eotech:D I bought an aimpoint ml2 because I prefer the single dot and the "micro aimpoint" is great for a sbr build but if an eotech works better for you then go that route. If depends on whether you like the dot in a donut or the lone dot. The weight is a little different but not much. Its the same all the time when someone comes up and askes this question, find what works for you because it might not work for the next guy you ask.

Oh, and larue tactical's package deals are the best value in my opinion as well. As mentioned before in the last post, you get one of the best mounts out there with the optic of your choice for a price equal too or lower than anybody else. Plus you get to deal with Larue tactical which speaks for itself:) God speed and good luck with what ever you go with:cool:

ST911
02-21-10, 22:42
Hey guys I am getting an SBR (11.5 Sabre) as soon as my stamp comes back in. My question is should I put an optic or should I go with the old school carry handle? I love the way the carry handle looks! But optics do make it easier to hit animals on the run. BTW I will also be running a can as well. Thanks! Any pics would be appreciated.

T1 is tough to beat on an SBR.

Evil Colt 6920
02-21-10, 22:55
Isnt the whole point of an SBR to look cool:cool: I say put whatever optic you think looks best on it. I personally am not a fan of the looks of aimpoints, they just kinda float in the air on a mount. They look more susceptible to getting hung up on stuff than the eotechs do. Im just rambling here, Ive never seen an aimpoint in person. But as far as looking cool:cool: on an SBR id go with eotech. :p

SWATcop556
02-22-10, 09:52
Isnt the whole point of an SBR to look cool:cool: I say put whatever optic you think looks best on it. I personally am not a fan of the looks of aimpoints, they just kinda float in the air on a mount. They look more susceptible to getting hung up on stuff than the eotechs do. Im just rambling here, Ive never seen an aimpoint in person. But as far as looking cool:cool: on an SBR id go with eotech. :p

:rolleyes: You might be trying to be sarcastic (which I know is hard to express via the errornet) but that just might be some of the worst ****ing advice out there. If looking cool is what you want then that's fine, but to say they are equal and you don't like the Aimpoint because it "kinda floats in the air on a mount" is just plain stupid. Just sayin.

The bold section is also very telling of the advice given. And FWIW I've never had any of my Aimpoints hang up on anything. But I have had 4 EOtechs shit the bed before I switched over.

lethal dose
02-22-10, 09:57

uhhh...:rolleyes:

dmanflynn
02-22-10, 10:07
Just because you have seen an eotech on a video game and thought it was cool doesn't give you grounds to give advice on something like this. If your building a rifle of anykind just to look tacticool then you either are ignorant with your money or you have too much of it. Having not even seen an aimpoint in person why would you knock it?

m4forme
02-22-10, 10:15
why don't you go with a LMT A2 style sight and the optic of your choice... I have a SBR BCM 11.5 upper and run the LMT sight... I'm going to go with a Aimpoint optic haven't decided which one yet waiting to find a good used one with a throw lever mount... I've looked at the Eotechs and my eyes are kinda shitty so the dot looks fuzzy to me.... the dot on the Aimpoints are clear to my almost 50 yr old eyes...
I've said it before I'm not a big fan of optics... My dad taught me that way"If you can't shoot with iron sights you shouldn't be shooting" but i think optics do have a useful purpose...

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 11:08
Sorry guys :(I didnt mean to ruffle any aimpoint feathers with my sarcasm, I figured the :p at the end of my post and the fact that I said I was just rambling made the clear point that my last post was of no serious value.

C4IGrant
02-22-10, 11:15

Optics (always). Especially on an SBR (where speed and accuracy are all that matters).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant_M4C_09c.jpg

C4IGrant
02-22-10, 11:25
What about an aimpoint mounted on the carry handle? Would that look stupid?

This is OK, but not the best choice. Remembe that carry handles are heavy and SBR's are meant to be light.

C4

SWATcop556
02-22-10, 17:47
Sorry guys :(I didnt mean to ruffle any aimpoint feathers with my sarcasm, I figured the :p at the end of my post and the fact that I said I was just rambling made the clear point that my last post was of no serious value.

No Aimpoint feathers ruffled here. ;)

Like I said in my other post, it's damn near impossible to be sarcastic on the errornet.

Quiet-Matt
02-22-10, 18:23
I asked myself the same question. I started with the carry handle and worked on shooting irons till I was satisfied. Then I went with the optic/back up combo. I chose the Eotech because I liked the reticle (thats just me), you need to sight down every optic you can get your hands on before you make a decision. When outfitted with the optic, that is my primary sighting system. I wanted a good but in-expensive back-up, and the Magpul MBUS fits that bill just right. I still have the carry handle if I just want to throw it on there.
Heres a crappy cell phone picture:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/S4MYnIEhLpI/AAAAAAAAE8k/mmqxpGojRnI/s720/mms_picture.jpg

markm
02-22-10, 18:30
No dot needed. :cool:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson095.jpg?t=1266884445

sabresbrs
02-22-10, 18:56
MarkM, I really like the way that looks. You guys have been helpful and I am getting some really good points of view.

dmanflynn
02-22-10, 19:46
No feathers ruffled here either. I guess it is hard to tell whether someone is being sarcastic in the net. I just have seen quite a few people be influenced by tacticoolers into a $500+ investment. No hard feelings;)

markm
02-23-10, 17:14
MarkM, I really like the way that looks. You guys have been helpful and I am getting some really good points of view.

Here's my actual Home Defense bean.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson101.jpg?t=1266966385

BR870
02-23-10, 18:47
To the OP, I'd go optic. Personally I like both Aimpoints and EOTechs. However, the only EOTech I would recommend now is the XPS models. All other EOTechs are obsolete now IMO....

SWATcop556
02-23-10, 19:01
Here's my actual Home Defense bean.

Markm, did you move away from the double light setup?

Sorry to go off topic, is that a SCAR w/the guy behind you? Whats up with the black stock?

That's Drake from Magpul with the a Masada prototype I believe.

BR870
02-23-10, 19:12

That's Drake from Magpul with the a Masada prototype I believe.
Yeah, now that I look at it, you are right. Thats not the SCAR ejection port or forend...

markm
02-23-10, 20:49

For now. I switched from two G2 incan lights to one Cree LED in a host. I'm not sure if I'll add back another light yet.

500grains
02-24-10, 08:32
People have already said it, but practice with irons AND optic, but when SHTF use your optic. If SHTF continues for 5 years such that your supply of batteries runs out and they cannot be replaced, then switch to irons.

Speed of reaction and hit percentage will definitely be higher with an optic.

The above is all IMO of course.

Also I like the newest Eotech.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/EOTech_XPS_small.jpg

JasonM
02-24-10, 16:23
Definitely optic.

It's faster and easier to shoot well in most situations.

Eotech and aimpoint are both great. I like and own the Aimpoint T-1, Aimpoint M4, and now an eotech XPS-3. They have all been awesome. I really like the eotech dot in a circle, But i like the aimpoint simplicity.

I had an eotech for years and It never gave me any trouble.

Have you shot with all these configurations? I just ask because I've tried to run 2 different fixed back sights with red dots and NEVER got used to them. Flip ups for me all the way.

You gotta find out what works for you the best.