PDA

View Full Version : Is my Geissele SSA trigger working properly?

rljatl
02-20-10, 19:44
I installed my SSA trigger easily enough, but I am a little concerned that it is not working as designed.

The first stage is so light that it seems superfluous, almost like ordinary take up rather than a real first stage. The second stage is very crisp with no creep. Is the first stage supposed to be that light on an SSA?

(Caveat - I have never used a two stage trigger before.)

gkanga
02-20-10, 21:22
Sounds like mine, but it's hard to tell over the internet. Compare the functioning of yours to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRq5W8SUbu8&feature=related

rljatl
02-20-10, 21:30
Thanks. That looks and sounds like how mine is working. Guess it is just my unfamiliarity with two stage triggers. Why even bother with a first stage that is so light?

FWIW, it says at the end of the video that the Geissele SSF is the standard trigger of the MK12 Mod 1. That is the exact rifle I put the SSA in. (Centurion Arms Mk12 upper.)

JHC
02-21-10, 05:23
What you describe in the OP is how my RRA 2 stage felt for the first 1000 rounds or so. I think this is normal. What's not normal is now my RRA trigger only resets to a one stage. ??? :( I want what you got. ;)

JHC
02-21-10, 05:23
Deleted - looked like a double post but I swear I just used edit. ???

Jakal
02-21-10, 18:06
I have a SSA in my M&P15. Functions just like you say. 1st stage is about 2 pounds take up and then a solid stop. 2nd stage, crisp 2 1/2 pound break, like glass.

I just shot mine tonight. Make sure you use the red avaition grease that came with the trigger set. The trigger will work in at about 250 rounds. At 500 it should feel real good.

Best money I have spent on my AR so far.

rljatl
02-21-10, 20:15
The thing that has me wondering, is that the first stage on mine feels much lighter (less than 2lbs.) than the second stage.

During the first stage, I can feel the trigger move without much resistance, then a definite stop, then crisp let off with no perceptible movement during the second stage.

Does this sound normal for an SSA?

What is the purpose of a two stage trigger? I don't see the point of the first stage.

Belmont31R
02-21-10, 21:55
The thing that has me wondering, is that the first stage on mine feels much lighter (less than 2lbs.) than the second stage.

During the first stage, I can feel the trigger move without much resistance, then a definite stop, then crisp let off with no perceptible movement during the second stage.

Does this sound normal for an SSA?

What is the purpose of a two stage trigger? I don't see the point of the first stage.

Its basically a light pull, a "stop", and then a little bit more pressure to set off the trigger.

With a single stage its just one non-stop squeeze until the trigger releases the hammer.

If you think that's messed up don't ever touch a 'release trigger' on a trap shotgun. Thats where you press the trigger, and it fires when you let it go forward. It takes away the movement of the barrel when you press the trigger in a normal setup. I shot ATA trap for 4 years, and its still screwed me up because I tend to slap the trigger instead of a slow steady pressure. I have to mentally tell myself slow and steady each time when shooting for accuracy.