PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Miculek's Practical Rifle DVD

thopkins22
02-21-10, 03:48
Anybody have this yet? Filmed specifically for true beginners or will all skill levels benefit?

I'll admit I was pretty amused that they shot and saw fit to include an up close, slow motion shot of him shooting a drill with the charging handle unlatched...just bouncing back and forth as he shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3CZaqoeJSE

Vinh
02-21-10, 12:20
The gun has probably seen so many rounds that the aluminum at that part of the receiver has worn away and the charging handle has nothing to latch on to. A Grandmaster showed me his rifle many years ago and it was the same way.

Robb Jensen
02-21-10, 12:54
You can reweld up the receiver there and recut it. But it's just easier to replace the receiver if your charging handle is doing that. Sometimes another CH will fix this. This is why it's always good to check your CH to make sure there isn't a burr grinding away at the receiver, if there is polish it down and smooth it out.

jwfuhrman
02-21-10, 16:27
DVD is geared more towards IMO people who have NO IDEA about shooting in general. Im probably going to be selling my copy as I have no use for it, rather Cheesy actually.

bulbvivid
02-21-10, 17:52
I'm entirely untrained, but it seems weird to me, based on the little knowledge I have gleaned, that he didn't tug the mag after insertion to ensure that it is seated.

Is it just a wasted and unnecessary step?

Iraq Ninja
03-06-10, 13:15
I thought the DVDs were ok, but geared to people looking to get into 3 gunning, rather than tactical applications.

The 3 DVDS could have been put on one. The first one seemed a bit too short, around fifteen minutes. Many of the sections were so short, they seemed like Youtube videos.

I enjoyed watching Jerry shoot.

Cold
03-06-10, 18:02
Met him at the Ft. Benning 3 gun last year. Awesome guy. Wish I saw him in the shoot out versus Mike Voigt.

comprido
03-31-10, 18:41
I'm entirely untrained, but it seems weird to me, based on the little knowledge I have gleaned, that he didn't tug the mag after insertion to ensure that it is seated.

Is it just a wasted and unnecessary step?

It's the difference between an admin reload and a combat reload (or speed reload, or whatever nomenclature you want to use.) The time you spend tugging on the mag could be used putting rounds down range.

If the magazine wasn't fully seated, Jerry would notice in about .15 seconds after he shot the first round after the reload. (That's roughly what his splits were, and if the mag wasn't fully seated the second round wouldn't chamber..

I suppose intelligent people would argue that the 2 seconds it takes to make sure the mag is seated is time well spent, but not if I'm not behind cover and taking fire. I'd prefer to put rounds down range.

(To give another analogy, I press check admin reloads and even give my pistol mags a few extra taps at LAMR, but would never do that when against the clock, of course.)