PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an AR across state lines question

Razorhunter
02-21-10, 10:49
Can someone travel out of their home state, to a registered FFL/Dealer, to purchase a brand new, COMPLETE AR (both upper and lower), and then drive back to their home state with it after passing their NICS check?

I have always understood this is not possible to do.
IOW's, IF you happen to be out of state on a vacation/etc, and were to make such a purchase, the firearm COULD be bought and paid for, BUT you cannot take it with you when you drive back to your home state. Rather, the FFL had to ship it back to your local, in-state FFL and you were to physically travel back home empty handed until you arrived back to your home state FFL.
WHICH is correct guys?

Anyone know?
As I said, it's a COMPLETE, FACTORY BUILT AR, that would be purchased from a registered FFL/Dealer across state lines.
Thanks.

tsconver
02-21-10, 10:58
Can someone travel out of their home state, to a registered FFL/Dealer, to purchase a brand new, COMPLETE AR (both upper and lower), and then drive back to their home state with it after passing their NICS check?

IOW's, IF you happen to be out of state on a vacation/etc, and were to make such a purchase, the firearm COULD be bought and paid for, BUT you cannot take it with you when you drive back to your home state. Rather, the FFL had to ship it back to your local, in-state FFL and you were to physically travel back home empty handed until you arrived back to your home state FFL.
WHICH is correct guys?

Anyone know?
As I said, it's a COMPLETE, FACTORY BUILT AR, that would be purchased from a registered FFL/Dealer across state lines.
Thanks.

Depends on the states I think. I know Illinois residents can only get weapons in Illinois or through an Illinois FFL. I think in NC I can purchase and carry into the state from most other states. Just is a hassle since in NC I cab walk in and walk out no questioned asked with my CCW.

Iraqgunz
02-21-10, 11:18
If you do some research you will see that many states allow long guns to be purchased out of state. You do not have to send them to an FFL unless it is a private party purchase. The transaction must also be legal in the state that you reside. California residents are restricted from purchasing a long gun and taking it back. There are a few others as well.

WHICH is correct guys?

Anyone know?
Thanks.

RSS1911
02-21-10, 11:21
Michigan allows residents to purchase long guns in contiguous states.

5pins
02-21-10, 13:06
Like others have said, it depends on the state. I have bought both a rifle and pistol in Idaho. The rifle was no different then getting one here. The pistol had to be sent to an FFL in Spokane.

xfyrfiter
02-21-10, 13:23
NM long guns yes ,handguns FFL.