PDA

View Full Version : Mk12 Mod 1, Centurion or MSTN?

JPB
02-21-10, 13:26
Was thinking about either building or buying one of these. MSTN uses Noveske barrels with a fitted bolt, while Centurion uses their barrel and you supply your own bolt (or pay extra for theirs). To get the MSTN build would approach 2K, while the Centurion is about 1.5K after you supply your own BCG. My question is, how important is a fitted bolt? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Centerion product?

I appologize in advance if this turns into a pissing match, that is not my intention. Just want to compare two roughly equivalent builds. I have a number of Noveske products and wouldn't mind expanding my experience base. Centurion seems like a good company with a finger on the pulse of commercial trends (hammer forged pencile barrels, for example).

Voodoochild
02-21-10, 14:09
I own the MK12 built by Monty (Centurion Arms) and it is well worth the money considering what you are getting and how well it will perform you can't get any better. You are getting the exact same setup that is being used in battle today. That includes the barrel and all the other parts.

There is a thread that has been stickied at the top of the custom build section. Read it and you will understand why I chose to give my money and business to Monty. And I don't just give my money to just anyone. Now if Monty will come out with a 12.5" barrel I would be set.

sniperfrog
02-21-10, 14:14
Centurion Arms is good to go. Monty is a great guy and active duty with the Teams. He is also a scout sniper. Monty knows what is needed for an accurate and reliable rifle. Wes and Paul at MSTN are also great guys, former fighter pilots and I have done some training with them down at Mid-South when I was in the Teams. They're both good shooters and Wes really knows alot about carbines. You can't go wrong with either one. If your using a new bolt it should headspace fine with a new barrel from either company but it's always good to check the headspace. You could send your bolt to Monty at Centurion to have him check it for you.
I don't know if a fitted bolt would make any noticable difference in acuracy like some claim.

one
02-21-10, 14:18
Now if Monty will come out with a 12.5" barrel I would be set.

I thought he did? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42471 Or is it backordered already?

Back to the OP's question. I bought the 16" RECCE barrel off of Monty and provided my own bolt. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Since I don't have a fitted bolt/barrel combo from him to compare I can't honestly come in here and comment on this vs that performance. But from my side of the fence I'm touching bullets virtually effortlessly with the route I went.

I'm also pleased enough I'm waiting on the next batch of 18" barrels from Monty. But I'm seriously torn on what to do because I haven't located the OPS inc 12th brake and collar I'll need.

mtdawg169
02-21-10, 14:27
I would go with Monty all day long. His uppers are the real deal & a terriffic value as well. Wes & Paul build some really nice uppers, but they have always been a bit pricey for me.

GermanSynergy
02-21-10, 14:28
I'm a huge fan of MSTN, but Monty just built me a MK 12 Mod 1 upper. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

GermanSynergy
02-21-10, 14:32
I would go with Monty all day long. His uppers are the real deal & a terriffic value as well. Wes & Paul build some really nice uppers, but they have always been a bit pricey for me.

The price point depends on what features you want/need. Wes built me an excellent 3 Gun Match upper for a very reasonable price. Buy once, cry once:cool:

one
02-21-10, 14:56
I've always felt just a little like mtdawg169 on the price point of MSTN uppers. I don't mean that to say you're not getting what you're paying for.

However. I have purchased a large number of components and parts off of MSTN in previous years and they were always top notch to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy items from them again.

But when it comes to SPR/RECCE goodness I'm going to paint myself in the Monty corner.

JPB
02-21-10, 16:53
Thanks fellas. I've got a spare new Colt bolt looking for an upper. Looks like I'll give one of these Centurions a try. I have no doubt that I'll also be throwing some money MSTNs direction sooner rather than later. Thanks again.

ReconRanger
02-21-10, 17:07
No love for ADCO:confused:

one
02-21-10, 17:39
I certainly respect ADCO's work. They did a 1/2x28 threaded extension on my P226R for suppressor useage that was great. And they've been a good source for me for AR smithing tools.

But recently I couldn't even get them to reply to two separate emails concerning purchase and availability of some parts I was needing. So I guess I didn't think about them. Plus the question was directed regarding two specific vendors.

DocGKR
02-21-10, 17:47
Centurian Arms and MSTN both offer SUPERB products and either will work perfectly.

nickh46
02-21-10, 20:35
Monty is The Man. He took care of me, laid out everything, was patient with my questions, and delivered a product that confirms his reputation.

I did my research on a Mark 12 SPR and it came down to Monty from Centurion and Kevin of High Caliber Sales. Both use the barrels tuned by G.B. I chose Monty because he offered the pinned gas block.

mhall
02-21-10, 21:19
i would highly recomend monty at centurion as well. i also had e-mailed adco about getting some work done and recieved no reply. in no way am i bashing them it could have got lost in the cyberworld and i decided to go with one of montys barrells withe the low profile gas block instead of having the fsb milled down.

JPB
02-22-10, 15:32
I hate to even ask, it seems every answer proposes even more questions, how is the High Caliber Sales product? Same barrel?

kjo
02-22-10, 20:14
Take a look at their site -- they build a Mk12 out of MK12 parts -- contract Douglas barrel,etc.

They, also, produce a quality product.

mtdawg169
02-23-10, 10:06
I hate to even ask, it seems every answer proposes even more questions, how is the High Caliber Sales product? Same barrel?

From what I have read, the guys at High Caliber are gtg and it sounds like they may use the same barrel, the real Mk 12 bbl - same as Monty. I have no direct experience with them though. I dont think you can go wrong here, you're talking about three well respected guys who are known for excellent work. It all comes down to options, price and delivery times. I have traded a few emails with Monty and am impressed with his knowledge & professionalism. I'll be ordering a 12.5" upper from him this year.

Al U. 5811
02-23-10, 10:28
Food for thought. Monty is a member and posts on this board sometimes. Wes is not(to my knowledge). You have the chance to ask him directly if you choose to.

I feel that MSTN's prices are a bit on the steep side as well, but he does offer some products that others do not. The MSTN guys do build some solid stuff.