PDA

View Full Version : which stock and buffer?

basilhaydenO
04-11-07, 19:24
I have purchased a 16" LMT upper to put on a spikes tactical lower. I am trying to decide b/t the ACE socom stock and the Magpul UBT stock. Does anyone have any thoughts about either of these stocks? Also, the upper has the carbine length gas system. Am I correct in saying that I should get an H buffer? Or maybe an H2 buffer? Also, is there a particular spring that I will need for this setup?
Thanks
Kevin

Robb Jensen
04-11-07, 20:00
I have purchased a 16" LMT upper to put on a spikes tactical lower. I am trying to decide b/t the ACE socom stock and the Magpul UBT stock. Does anyone have any thoughts about either of these stocks? Also, the upper has the carbine length gas system. Am I correct in saying that I should get an H buffer? Or maybe an H2 buffer? Also, is there a particular spring that I will need for this setup?
Thanks
Kevin

A LMT will typically run fine on a carbine buffer, I'd run an CAR or H buffer for 5K rounds and then bump up to an H2. The Magpul UBR would be my choice over the ACE SOCOM. I like ACE stocks but really only the rifle length fixed stocks.

AR-15A3
04-11-07, 22:21
I am trying to decide b/t the ACE socom stock and the Magpul UBT stock. Does anyone have any thoughts about either of these stocks?

I have an ACE M4 SOCOM stock and so far no major problems except if the tensioning screws on top of the stock is not snug there is a little movement when using it.

Also Loctite have to be used on these small tensioning set screws for a quick fix, in my opinion these tensioning screws are a design flaw because they're easy to lose and will back out when the firearm was used.

Some other owners told me that the aluminum "oval" nut that the push button screwed into on the right side of the stock would deform and jam, the only way to push the button then was with a hammer.

They also said that this aluminum oval nut is just too soft to properly do the job, making the nut and the piece it sits inside out of steel might be the fix to this problem.

In my opinion the Magpul would be a better choice for a stock because it have no or less problems than the ACE SOCOM stock.

I also have a Magpul CTR stock and it's great, lightweight and solid but the UBR model won't be out yet for a few more months.

I'm confident that Magpul will also release a high quality stock without problems and if it does the company usually exchange the unsatisfactory component with a correct one or an improved part.

ARinNC
04-13-07, 10:45
I have really fallen in love with the Magpul CTR stock. The feel of it is great, the quality is 2nd to none, and the friction lock is the best thing ever. Go with the CTR, you won't be sorry.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/photos/Magpul%20CTR-M%20Stock%20Black-2T.jpg

I would choose my buffer based on the barrel length, and what you plan to shoot out of it. I use an H buffer in my stocks for a 16" barrel. Shorter barrels, you may want to go heavier.