PDA

View Full Version : More gun carnage...

MarshallDodge
02-21-10, 16:06
My local pawn/gun shop showed this to me yesterday. Gun is a Savage in 300WSM that he sold to a customer. It had been shot by him and he hunted with it before selling it to a customer. The customer returned with the photo below.

On the fourth shot, using factory ammo (not sure on brand, purchased from WM), the gun exploded. He had his left hand over the top of the scope and right hand in the trigger pulling position. A piece of the bolt face broke and ended up in his left hand. The gun has been sent back to Savage for evaluation but I think the results will be a squib or a incorrectly loaded ammo.

http://home.comcast.net/~fun2shoot/misc/savagecarnage.jpg

10MMGary
02-21-10, 16:54
I get cold chills just looking at that, at least he survived.

Alpha Sierra
02-21-10, 17:01
So much for the argument that factory ammo is of higher quality than handloads.

I wonder which ammo company lavishes the individual attention to each cartridge that good handloaders do.

JonnyVain
02-21-10, 20:18
So much for the argument that factory ammo is of higher quality than handloads.

I wonder which ammo company lavishes the individual attention to each cartridge that good handloaders do.

I think the main precaution with handloads is not to shoot someone ELSE's handloads.

I've never heard of a bolt action kaboom. How would that even happen except for a squib?

chadbag
02-21-10, 22:50
I think the main precaution with handloads is not to shoot someone ELSE's handloads.

That and don't mess around and cut corners. Pay attention when you handload

I've never heard of a bolt action kaboom. How would that even happen except for a squib?

Uh, lots of things. Wrong powder for example. Fill a 300 mag case with a fast rifle or even a pistol powder and you will get way high pressure.

Bantee
02-21-10, 22:54
Holy crap! First time I've ever seen a bolt-action let go. Sucks about the guys hand, but I'm glad he wasn't hurt worse. That looked like a bad one.