PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Weson M&P15

cronus5116
02-21-10, 17:41
I want to get a AR-15 and ive been looking at the M&P15T, and what I want to know is if any of you guys who own one have had any type of problems with this weapon, and if so what were they. Please I only want impute from the guys who actually own one, and have shot over a couple thousand rounds through it. Thank you for your time in this matter.

DoomOnYou
02-21-10, 17:52
Well i just finished putting 250 rds through to make a 1100 total so far. I went with the optics ready and bought my own sights. I haven't had a problem yet. Just make sure to take care of it.

The only thing i noticed with mine is that i have to make sure i get my charge handle all the way back so my ping pong actually catches my bcg.

gogetal3
02-21-10, 18:19
Use the search button, lots of M&P info!!!! Then I'm sure everyone will ask you to specify the use of the rifle.

I own one.. My take on it...

M&P=Good rifle for my purposes

uwe1
02-21-10, 18:28
I have around 1400 rounds through my MP15 which I got as an MP15OR. I had the gas block switched to a Young Mfg. aluminum gas block, put a FF rail on, and changed most of the furniture on it. I like the rifle, and don't have any problems with it, but comparing the prices of good rifles now, you can do better with your money than a MP15T.

I looked heavily at the MP15T when I was comparing them to the DDM4 and I felt that the DDM4 came out on top when it came to desirable features according to "The Chart". I'm not sure what MP15Ts are selling for now, but you might find a good deal on a DDM4 or DDM4v2 for the same or slightly higher cost. If I remember correctly, the Troy rails are much heavier than DD rails. Also, check out Noveske's deal on the free blem lower with the purchase of an upper as you can then build a great gun for same or slightly more.

JSGlock34
02-21-10, 19:14
I do not own a M&P rifle, but my friend's M&P 15T has run well for a year, including a practical carbine class. However, the M&P model line is evolving and if I were in the market for a S&W rifle, I'd consider the M&P 15TS...1 in 7" twist barrel, MagPul furniture and new Troy TRX Extreme handguard. I consider these upgrades over the standard M&P 15T (with the exception of the MBUS sights - I consider the Troy BUIS to be superior to these). Plus, the 15TS is also cheaper than the 15T.

M&P 15TS (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=760612&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15702&isFirearm=Y)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811024_large.jpg

14-1/2" Barrel with 1 in 7" Twist and Fixed Vortex Flash-Hider for Overall Length of 16.1"
13" Troy® TRX Extreme Handguard
Folding Magpul® MBUS Front and Rear Sights
Magpul® MOE Stock
Magpul® PMAG Magazine
Magpul® MOE Grip

I'd also look at the S&W VTAC rifle. I believe this model is being updated with the new Troy/VTAC rail.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811012_large.jpg

I think the 15T is a decent rifle, but I think there are better offerings in the M&P line.

Unforgiven
02-21-10, 19:50
I have the 15T, I have 2k rounds down the pipe without a problem. That being said, I think my DDM4 is a better built rifle for the money. IMHO.

tmanker
02-21-10, 19:50
I ordered a m&p moe on a whim because I was sick of waiting for a certain bravo company upper to come back in stock. I will probably go with a aimpoint T1 in larue mount on the moe.

91Bravo
02-21-10, 20:00
I have a M&P-15 MOE version with perhaps 2000 rounds through it. No problem whatever. The 1/9 barrel limits one to a max of 68 grain bullets. That's no real problem for me.

BTW Hornady 68 grain FMJ's seem to be my most accurate bullet.

cronus5116
02-21-10, 20:01
The AR I want needs to have folding front and rear sights.

uwe1
02-21-10, 20:31
I agree that the MP15 offerings keep getting better and better. It is a very good complete rifle and they are steadily adding more and more features that move it to the left of the chart. With that said, I still prefer my DDM4. I haven't handled a BCM or Noveske yet so I couldn't comment.

ztf HITMAN
02-21-10, 21:09
Had an M&P15A...Treated me very good. Very accurate rifle. Consistent with no failures. No complaints, whatsoever...
That said, I sold it to buy a BCM middy...

tmanker
02-21-10, 21:33
ztf, I would love to be able to buy the bcm middy I want...if they ever get any back in stock. You are one of the lucky ones I guess.

DJP
02-23-10, 10:51
Does anyone know when Smith and Wesson will start producing the MP15TS?

Kentucky Cop
02-23-10, 13:59
Does anyone know when Smith and Wesson will start producing the MP15TS?

I have been working with my local gun shop and have $$$ in hand to buy one. Gun guy says he is waiting on a email reply from the Smith LE section for an answer. Been waiting now going on a week for an answer. I really need one as I don't have a rifle in my cruiser. Sold the 15T to fund this rifle.

Ky Cop

DJP
02-23-10, 15:17
I called S&W and customer service said that they are not in production yet but are looking at a start date in March.

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 15:48
This is a pretty comprehensive account of the problems I had with my MP15 OR. Considering the title of this thread I think it is worth reading through this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33817

Believe me when I say I am happy with the way I was treated by SW, I am happy with the fixes they did, and I have had 0 problems since they returned the rifle to me.

I for one am happy with my gun, and trust it.

Scoby
02-23-10, 16:29
I've got a 15T. Great rifle for what I do with it. Accurate and realiable. Have not had one single malfunction in close to 1,200 rounds.

GTG

Scoby

14point5
02-23-10, 17:01
I have an M&P15T and I really like it. The Troy rail is great and the Troy battle sights are top notch.

I had my barrel cut to 14.7 and the flash hider permanently attached. I run a TA31 ACOG on it. I've got no complaints.

Kentucky Cop
02-25-10, 15:07
Just spoke to my local gun shop, they advised that they are expecting to get a shipment of the M&P15 TS's some time in early March. I am currently on the list for one and found out that Smith brought back the 5 free PMAGS again. Hopefully the stick will come in on time so I can get the free mags. I think the promo ends late March. ;)

www.budsgunshop.com

Ky Cop

Donbeeler49
02-25-10, 16:37
The wife just got one about 2 months ago and has put about 800 rds through it with zero problems. She's a hell of a shot and she loves it!:)

Ash Hess
02-25-10, 16:54
I have been and continue to be impressed with my MP-15RORC. No issues.

mag318
02-26-10, 02:45
I had an early M&P 15 and it was a wonderful carbine. Smith& Wesson is really committed to producing top quality ARs and they keep expanding the line. I just bought their new piston system gun the M&P15PS, can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can shoot it.

akgunnut
02-26-10, 03:39
All I can say is I started out with this,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/MP15.jpg

And somehow money slid out of my wallet and my M&P15 turned into this,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/MP15MOE.jpg

I have put around 3000 rounds through it so far and experienced no malfunctions and its extremely accurate using 55 gr. ball ammo.

ghettomedic
02-26-10, 06:43
I've had my M&P 15 MOE since mid-December and have put around 2800-3000 rounds through it since then. I've found the M&P line to be substantial for the money, very tight-fitting and well made. I've replaced a great number of things on mine and if I had it to do over again I'd go with the M&P 15T (The TS looks good as well, like the Vortex and the 13" handguard). The Magpul stock and grip are fantastic, as are the MBUS; I've since replaced the handguard as it didn't conform to my light-mounting specs.

My rifle has had the following modifications to make it more suitable as a home-defense / carbine class / eventual 3-gun weapon:

- Vortex Strikefire Optic
- UTG 7" 4-Rail Handguard
- BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 Charging Handle
- Magpul ASAP
- Magpul MS2 Sling
- Surefire E2D in a LaRue In-Line mount
- LaRue FUG

Again, I've been very pleased with my rifle, but if I had any advice, I'd say don't skim on quality on any aftermarket accessories. I'm in the process of finding a LPGB, extended handguard and higher-quality RDS and mount, I hate having to spend money twice.

Patriotme
02-26-10, 11:23
I have a S&W MP15 MOE. It's not the version you discussed but I thought I'd give you my experiences with it anyway.
It's been a great gun. Fit and finish are very good and I have no complaints. I have tried several different kinds of mags in the weapon (steel, aluminum and mostly Pmags) and there have been no issues whatsoever.
I have a little under 1000 rnds through the gun and most of the ammo has been Russian steel cased. About 50 rnds of Remington has been put through it but I haven't seen any difference in accuracy. 55gr Brown Bear seems to be the most accurate of the cheap stuff. 62gr Silver Bear, Wolf and Tula (55gr) gives a 1/3 larger group. Sooner or later I'll shoot some good stuff from the bench but I'm just enjoying putting some rounds downrange and shooting with friends and family right now. I have no doubt that the gun will shoot better than I do anyway as I am just an average rifle shot.
The trigger seems to be a bit better on the S&W than on my Bushmaster. I have no complaints with the gun.
The Bushmaster (for those interested) has had the same cheap stuff shot through it and uses the same mags. No problems with either gun. It's got a massive scope on it vs a 9x on the S&W so I won't compare accuracy.
By the way, I bought the S&W back in October and I'm still waiting for my Pmags. The S&W customer service guy said they are swamped.

MP15TMAN
02-26-10, 16:00
I have a S&W MP15 MOE. It's not the version you discussed but I thought I'd give you my experiences with it anyway.
It's been a great gun. Fit and finish are very good and I have no complaints. I have tried several different kinds of mags in the weapon (steel, aluminum and mostly Pmags) and there have been no issues whatsoever.
I have a little under 1000 rnds through the gun and most of the ammo has been Russian steel cased. About 50 rnds of Remington has been put through it but I haven't seen any difference in accuracy. 55gr Brown Bear seems to be the most accurate of the cheap stuff. 62gr Silver Bear, Wolf and Tula (55gr) gives a 1/3 larger group. Sooner or later I'll shoot some good stuff from the bench but I'm just enjoying putting some rounds downrange and shooting with friends and family right now. I have no doubt that the gun will shoot better than I do anyway as I am just an average rifle shot.
The trigger seems to be a bit better on the S&W than on my Bushmaster. I have no complaints with the gun.
The Bushmaster (for those interested) has had the same cheap stuff shot through it and uses the same mags. No problems with either gun. It's got a massive scope on it vs a 9x on the S&W so I won't compare accuracy.
By the way, I bought the S&W back in October and I'm still waiting for my Pmags. The S&W customer service guy said they are swamped.

I purchased my M&P15T back in October, also. I recieved my Pmags around the first part of February. I have put less than 60 rounds thru it. I have an Eotech 516 mounted on it as well. I've been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get everything sited in to my satisfaction. I'm going to do the 50/200 deal. I need to get some good targets. I have some shoot and see for my 22's and 17HMR.

tattoo13
02-27-10, 22:41
I am currently on the list for one and found out that Smith brought back the 5 free PMAGS again.

Is this a sure thing, I just bought a M&P last week, but I did not hear about this.

Kentucky Cop
02-28-10, 10:39
Yes sir. check out the website and click on current promotions.

www.smith-wesson.com free mags

Ky Cop:cool:

sevin8nin
02-28-10, 14:13
My light setup and forward grip placement has changed since this photo, but still the same rifle.
M&P15t. It's been a pretty good rifle. I made the mistake of picking it up used from a shop, and the previous owner ditched it because of a leaky gas block. Called S&W and they sent me a call tag. Couple weeks later I was back in business.

I agree with one of the previous posters, the new M&P15Ts is a screamin deal and an awesome setup. If i was doing it again i'd get the TS. Got to handle one at SHOT show and the new rail setup is surprisingly light.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/stuff/sub/DSC00232.jpg

tattoo13
02-28-10, 15:26
Yes sir. check out the website and click on current promotions.

www.smith-wesson.com free mags

Ky Cop:cool:

Thanks for the reply, I bought mine on the 19th, that really sucks!! It had to be purchased Feb 27th or after.

Cobra66
02-28-10, 17:19
I have a M&P15A that has about 500 rounds through it so far. It will be going with me to a carbine class this April so that will be its big test.

The lower receiver was out of spec and required me to send it back to Smith and have them replace it, since then I have had no issues.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that I feel the triggers on Smiths are far better than on any other 2nd or 3rd tier gun I have seen and IMHO far better than on my Colt 6550.

Killjoy
02-28-10, 18:39
Got issued an early Smith & Wesson M&P-15 as a duty patrol rifle a little more than 2 1/2 years ago and it runs like a champ. Somewhere in the order of 3000-3500 rounds through it and I've had absolutely zero failures in it. Its also very accurate. When I took the patrol rifle instructor class at the S&W academy, I ran it the entire week with no cleaning or lubrication, and it had no problems, and that was with crappy Wolf ammo!

Our original S&W rifles were stock, with carry handle sights, and plastic single heat-shield handguards. We've now upgraded all inventory and all new rifles with a Troy drop-in battlerail, streamlight weaponlights and Troy rear fixed battlesights.

Felkon
03-01-10, 05:58
I recently got an M&P15T and haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, so I can't be of any help like the rest of these gentlemen have been; but I've done plenty of research on the interwebs and haven't found any bad news on them. (except early models which had a magwell problem that interfered with Pmags.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9386/mp15t9.jpg

I'm going to go shoot this baby later today. :) Very excited.