PDA

View Full Version : A2 Flash Hider Removal?

GeorgiaBoy
02-21-10, 19:03
Can anyone take me through the steps of removing the flash hider of my DDXV, or direct me to another thread about it? I want to cut down the gas block so it will be low-profile and I know i need to remove the flash hider to get it off.... My main confusion is whether or not I have to heat it up first, whether I use a standard wrench and just screw it off, do I need to replace the crush washer when I replace it, ect, ect.

Any help is appreciated! :)

emt370
02-21-10, 20:53
No real tricks to get it off. Just get a wrench and twist it off. You will need to replace the crush washer when you put the FH back on. Good luck, it's easy. Just remember that when you put the FH back on with the crush washer, you need to work it on and off in small amounts to get the timing right and get the closed portion of the compensator pointing towards the ground.

btaksier
08-14-10, 14:12
I am trying to remove mine but dont want to jack up the finish on my barrel. Will drilling a hold in two wood blocks do the trick to hold it in a vise?

Iraqgunz
08-14-10, 16:06
Word of advice. Get the proper tools. Use a set of barrel vise jaws or at a minimum an upper receiver clamshell. Also make sure that you have the correct wrench.

If you don't have that stuff you are asking for trouble.

I am trying to remove mine but dont want to jack up the finish on my barrel. Will drilling a hold in two wood blocks do the trick to hold it in a vise?

RD62
08-14-10, 18:40
Definately get some barrel vice jaws or a receiver vice.

If you are gonna be doing upper/barrel work they will pay for themselves.

Also get a good armorers wrench at least. I have, of all brands, a DPMS one that has worked pretty darn well for several years. (Who knew they made something worth a rats ass?)

I have other stock wrenches and things to, but if your gonna have one tool, it works pretty well.

Tools aside, it should twist off. I've had some that were easier than others depending on how hard it was torqued on in the first place, the amount of carbon buildup/round count, etc. But a little elbow grease and it should come off without too much trouble.

I did once have an issue with the LMT one on my 10.5" SBR where the clearance between the crush washer and flash hider shoulder wouldn't allow the wrench to fully seat. A couple passes with a file and the situation was corrected.

Good luck!

-RD62

btaksier
08-14-10, 18:50
Will do guys. Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just gonna swing by the local gunsmith and have him swap it for me. I have a wrench that fits it fine but I cant get it stable enough in my vice to break it loose.