PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds to break in "pocket" gun?

Pappabear
02-21-10, 19:15
It will soon be 100+ degrees in AZ. I have a sub-compact that I carry. It has maybe 750 rounds through it. It is made to take a beating and go bang bang bang.

But these little pocket guns (little Ruger semi auto, Mini desert eagle,) arent really made to be "range" guns, IMHO. I am leaning toward to S&W J frame or a really small KAHR 9mm. Something I can wear athletic shorts and a not fall off with my gun. Around 15 oz.

Now if I get one of these guns, how many rounds to break it in? I feel like putting your carry gun through the paces year in and year out is asking it to fail at some point.

I take my sub compact to the range and shoot one mag out of it about once a quarter. No more, simply cause its no fun, not cause it cant take it. My larger carry guns I shoot the piss out of them, no worries.

Does anyone have confidence in the really small pocket guns, and if so, how many rounds before it starts to get beat up and your asking for trouble? I dont own any really small guns that feel like "toys", and therefore I often don't carry in the summer:mad:

Paul45
02-21-10, 20:09
I shoot mine monthly. Just to be sure I can still function with them. If you don't practice with a defensive handgun, how can you be sure you can use it under stress. Muscle memory, familurarity and practice. You can always buy another gun if it wears out but your skills need to be retained - you losse them quickly. Be comfortable and capable with your carry guns.

Buckaroo
02-21-10, 20:27
There is a guy over on Arfcom that has a PM9 with many thousands of rounds through his pistol. If you go to the Kahr forum there he should be easy to find.

I shoot probably 5 mags through mine every time I go to the range (2-3 times each month) so not that many on a regular basis. I bought mine used and have had it for about a year.

Kahrs and J-frames should be able to be shot a lot. Some of the micro pistols not so much it seems. That is why I sold the P2at and bought the PM9.

Buckaroo

tpd223
02-22-10, 01:29
I've had one of my 642s since when they were invented, I've shot the shit out of it and never had an issue, mostly non +P stuff, but I do shoot some +P and I bang off my carry ammo every 6 months, so it's had at least hundreds of +P JHPs, and thousands of rounds of range ammo put through it.

With the Kahrs I'd guess you should keep an eye on the recoil springs and replace more often than a duty type pistol.

maximus83
02-22-10, 08:28
For a Kahr P-series pocket pistol, the Kahr manual says 200 rounds for break-in, and most owners who have posted reviews that I've read have reported anywhere in the range of 200 to 400. When I got mine, there was basically no "break-in" period, it ran 100% from the start.

I have confidence in mine, after nearly 800 trouble-free rounds through it. The nice thing about the Kahrs, compared to some mouse guns, is that they are pretty well made, so you CAN shoot them a lot and they'll stand up to it.

As for maintenance, two key items to watch for wear would be your recoil spring, and your slide stop. You can get replacement parts for both directly from Kahr. As for replacement schedule, on the recoil spring I've seen Kahr recommendations to replace after 3K rounds, don't know on the slide stop.

Pappabear
02-22-10, 17:39
I looked at them today at the range. I really liked the S&W. But I have to wait on some cash. I also had my taxes done today, it will be a while before I buy anything- OUCH!