PDA

View Full Version : Old School "grab & go" gun

jmoore
02-21-10, 20:06
Just thought some might like a look at my "old school" grab & go gun.

I practice with this several different ways. One scenario is simply slipping my support hand through all of the loops at the end of the lanyard and shooting in a relatively normal 2 hand grip. Scenario two is to pull the slip knot on the lanyard and release the 3 fullmoon clips. As each one comes off of the lanyard, it slides onto a finger of my support hand - just like wearing a big ring:) Holding the gun this way (clips on fingers 3, 4, and 5 of the support hand) doesn't impare accuracy - at least not at anything under 15 yeards. I can then do a quick speed load off of the clips on the support hand fingers as I eject the 255gr Double Tap auto rim cases from the cylinder.

I jokingly call this my "butt naked grab & go piece", as I can take it with me with no need for a belt, pants, or holster:) If used in that mode, with the lanyard in place around the neck - one DOES have to be aware of letting go of the revolver and having it slam home on the family jewels. Practicing naked gets the most looks & comments at the range, BTW:)

jm

PS - The Model 22 has been castrated of the IL system, and the frame hole filled with a specially designed plug.:)

tpd223
02-22-10, 01:33
Source for lanyard ring and IL plug please?

jmoore
02-22-10, 07:00
Source for lanyard ring and IL plug please?

For the lanyard & ring, go to www.bowenclassicarms.com/ The ring is specific for the Hogue grips and cannot be used in the frame (on the "new" guns) because of damage to the serial number. Already checked and S&W won't reposition the number for a frame-mounted lanyard ring setup.

For the IL plug, go to the Smith & Wesson owners forum (www.smithwesson-forum.com) and do a search for "the plug". You can get them for J, K, L, & N frames - $5. Be sure to specify stainless of blue. My gun currently sports the stainless because I goofed.

For pure aesthetical reasons - the last modification to the gun will be to have it parkerized.

Safe shootin !!!

TOrrock
02-22-10, 08:27
I had one of the early M22 TRS and enjoyed it. Good shooting piece.

tpd223
02-22-10, 09:30
"The ring is specific for the Hogue grips"

Looked like it from the picture, and I was hoping so since I have Hogues on my revolvers.

Thanks.

For many years my grab and go was a Miami Vice rig with the pistol, two mags and a 6P, one could be buck nekid and still well armed, not that I would want to be caught in that scenario.

Alpha Sierra
02-22-10, 17:05
Dude, that is bad ass.

All you need now is a Sam Browne rig.

j/k, I am a die hard wheelgunner and I love your setup.