PDA

View Full Version : Troy Battle Ax Stock

tirod
02-21-10, 20:39
Thanks to the diligent efforts of SHOT show attendees, we have seen the preview of Troy products to be offered over the year. Some of those products are already being discussed in another thread. Here, I'd like to invite comments on the Troy Battle Ax stock.

It's said that a benchmark of juvenile humans is that they no longer stick things in their mouth to discover texture and shape. As adults, we can even project some conclusions from viewing an object without handling it.

Whether they are intelligently based and credibly explained with substance is entirely up to the poster. :rolleyes:

No, I'm not posting a pic. It's a pet peeve of mine - a discussion board should be able to dispense with it. It's not about pixels, it's about thought expressed in language. Stickman certainly has the pixellation nailed down anyway, and can do that without spoiling his process of road testing without preconceived notions.

Much of what I have seen in the 'net is preconceived, but that is exactly what we have to use lacking the actual object at hand. What first struck me were the cheek weld storage areas, then the profile suggesting the name. It very much has a pronounced squared lower profile, much like many sniper stocks. It is adjustable without the oversized lever common on most. The buttstock plate is hinged on the bottom, one solid metal piece, and reveals an internal metal reinforcement around the buffer tube. Another metal reinforcement is part of the toe. There are three sling pivot points at the rear of the stock. Troy reputedly mortared a show weapon repeatedly to demonstrate the ruggedness and ability to absorb abuse without damage.

Given what I have seen - you do know how to use a search engine on the web, right? - the smooth exterior will be better than the convential M4 or other popular stocks because it won't be as abrasive and can't hold mud, or other contaminated substances. Single or other slings will have adequate locations for use. Storage will likely be the largest yet available for the type, with the possibility of fitting a magazine of undetermined size in the cavity. No, lunch and a beer probably won't - others have suggested Israeli trauma bandages, cleaning kit, or worse, a handful of batteries. I still see no advantage putting them in the weapon when they should be on field gear, available for other service as needed.

I think Troy has put considerable thought into the design, risking some disapproval at first glance. It may be shaped like a bottle of motor oil, have a butt plate unhinged that resemembles a mail box, and be called "fugly," but those are emotional reactions based on preconceived notions from others. It may well be appreciated as the most functional on the market yet.

It comes in black, flat dark earth, and "green," my preference that would be even better met if the word "foliage" had preceded it. Oh well.

Vandal
02-21-10, 20:40
Link with pics for the rest of us.

Troy Battle Ax Stock. (http://store.troyind.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SBUT-SW1-00BT-00)

Belmont31R
02-21-10, 20:51
No thanks with a solid metal butt plate. Rubber= stock doesnt slide around like bare plastic and metal does as well as being more comfortable to shoot for long periods of time. And it looks like a SOPMOD stock ****ed a canteen.

JonnyVain
02-21-10, 21:12
Haha. I'm not sure if OP is for me or against me with that statement.

Since I spoke on one end of the spectrum, I'll speak on the other.

Yes, this stock is 'fugly.' But it looks VERY comfy on the cheek weld and solidly built (which is obvious I guess, being Troy). And I bet it can hold a butt load of stuff in it.

The only part that concerns me is the buttplate being flat to the bottom. That was one thing I didn't like about the ACE stocks. I think a curved buttplate fits the curve of the chest a little better.... Eh, I'll leave that sentence there as a discussion point, but from looking at the pic of the tan one up close, it isn't as straight as it looked initially to me. Should work well.

See, all that and I didn't even have to stick it in my mouth. :D

No thanks with a solid metal butt plate. Rubber= stock doesnt slide around like bare plastic and metal does as well as being more comfortable to shoot for long periods of time. And it looks like a SOPMOD stock ****ed a canteen.

It looks rubber coated.

chadbag
02-22-10, 00:40
The Troy link did not show a weight. I'd be interested in knowing the "empty" weight.

Metal butt plate does not bother me. Especially with their aggressive fish scale texturing. Will be interesting to see one in real life.

chadbag
02-22-10, 00:41
It looks rubber coated.

Does not look that way to me. I doubt it would be. Thin rubber on a high wear position is likely to not stay for long. Just guessing.

tirod
02-22-10, 08:40
I read somewhere it was a metal buttplate, but how the color is added or applied, I don't know.

"Fugly" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, I've seen members of the opposite sex enjoying productive lives as a spouse and parent with little correlation to equivalency in looks. The contrast has sometimes been really thought provoking. I think that's what's happening here.

We all get conditioned societally about what something has to look like, and when it falls out of the norm, it's fugly. The answer is that function has something to do with it, and over time, workmanship and performance under stress will change perceptions and values. Glock comes to mind. Work horse, not show stud.

One caveat about cheek welds is that it depends on the amount of stock extension. As long as the buffer tube is exposed, part of it will be the cheek weld. A small diameter aluminum tube at ambient temperature isn't optimum.

Magsz
02-22-10, 09:25
If the weight is not too much i will be interested in this stock simply because its a very fluid looking design and it has features that my CTR doesnt have that i dig, like the extended side saddles for a slightly more positive cheek weld.

I like the way the VLTOR and LMT sopmod stocks feel but quite frankly i think a combination of both designs would be better than either individual design.

The Battle axe stock seems to be the combination of features that i dig.

KellyTTE
02-22-10, 09:48
Caveat: The Battle Axe made one of my nightly SHOT SHOW - TOP TEN lists. I like it, but I also realize that it has a serious shortcoming for certain people.

For those of us that hook the toe of the stock behind armor/plate carrier, this stock will not work. I agree with the OPs points (as pedantically as they were made) about the latch, snag free surface and sling points, but the toe makes the Battle Axe a no go for me.

tirod
02-23-10, 08:20
Pendantic? Well, OK, I've been reading Pat McManus again.

Hooking the toe under gear or a plate carrier isn't going to work. Hmmm. I appreciate that for the insight it gives. No, it won't do that for those who prefer it. It appears the stock was specifically designed to prevent any kind of hooking at all.

M93's might be a better choice. The pod leg styling of combat hookers might be a interesting short discussion . . . :D

Redhat
02-23-10, 08:38
Caveat: The Battle Axe made one of my nightly SHOT SHOW - TOP TEN lists. I like it, but I also realize that it has a serious shortcoming for certain people.

For those of us that hook the toe of the stock behind armor/plate carrier, this stock will not work. I agree with the OPs points (as pedantically as they were made) about the latch, snag free surface and sling points, but the toe makes the Battle Axe a no go for me.

RE Hooking the toe under the plate....

Got a picture of this technique?

Thanks

LonghunterCO
02-23-10, 08:48
Interestedin the weight too...

CryingWolf
02-23-10, 09:36
Man, I was picturing a stock that could be used as a battle axe as a last ditch effort. :D

Abraxas
02-23-10, 09:51
Not a fan, but I have been won over in the past on things that I did not like initially. So I guess I will see

JonnyVain
02-23-10, 10:46
I sent Troy an email asking about the weight and butt plate cover material. I'll get back here when they answer.

JonnyVain
02-23-10, 14:06
From Troy:

"The Battle Ax stock weighs about 1 pound. The butt plate is not coated in rubber and the finish is mil spec hard coat anodized."

glocktogo
02-23-10, 14:25
From Troy:

"The Battle Ax stock weighs about 1 pound. The butt plate is not coated in rubber and the finish is mil spec hard coat anodized."

At that weight it migt be a good option for those that need to balance a nose heavy rifle. But as someone who thinks that 90% of all AR's weigh more than they should, that drops it out of contention for me.

Storage is what pockets, Molle gear, pouches, bags and packs are for. Rifles are for shooting things. :D

KellyTTE
02-23-10, 17:13
RE Hooking the toe under the plate....

Got a picture of this technique?

Thanks

I realize that the picture is the Magpul ACS, but the problem is the same. The large toe of the stock wedges in and pushes the armor away from the body creating a side gap and twisting the armor making it even more unpleasant.

http://www.ttellc.net/images/acsbad7.jpg
Cheekweld with armor and the ACS

http://www.ttellc.net/images/acsbad8.jpg
Cheekweld with armor and the CTR

Redhat
02-23-10, 18:14
Thanks KellyTTE,

I coudn't visualize what you meant. I've only worn the Interceptor and we don't have that capability for better or worse.

KellyTTE
02-23-10, 18:20
Thanks KellyTTE,

I coudn't visualize what you meant. I've only worn the Interceptor and we don't have that capability for better or worse.

The ACS, to me, is simply too long even when all the way collapsed to get behind consistently with anything but a reddot placing the rifle on the outside of the armor. That means my TR24G is a NO GO if I'm in armor with that stock. The BattleAxe may be short enough to run contacting the plate carrier exterior, but I have no time with it to confirm that.

As for using the toe as a wedge, its very useful with the right stock/armor for weapons manipulation and retention. I got it from a Pat Rogers article in SWAT magazine actually.

Rmplstlskn
03-04-11, 14:37
So far (on TOS), all I have seen is fashion shots of the Troy stock, with no photos of it actually shouldered. With my CTR as a reference, I suspect the short length will put my cheek partially on the buffer tube. Any photos like above but with the TROY?

It is different, but I do like the open storage it provides. Gives one much more carry options...

Rmpl

just a scout
03-04-11, 19:58
:lol:

101ABN327
11-23-11, 09:24
I like it! It has a great cheek weld and gives your non firing hand a support position. The weight absorbs recoil and is very natural feeling. I put one of these on my SPR.