PDA

View Full Version : Seattle area please,

kenpstok151
02-22-10, 02:26
I need a place to shoot without all the dam rules. Don't want to become a member of a club and don't want to keep paying range fee's for single shot chambering rules. anyone have any suggestions?

ThirdWatcher
02-22-10, 02:37
Move to the dry side. It's starting to get a little crowded, but not as crowded as the wet side. :)

Belmont31R
02-22-10, 02:38
I need a place to shoot without all the dam rules. Don't want to become a member of a club and don't want to keep paying range fee's for single shot chambering rules. anyone have any suggestions?

When I was stationed at Ft. Lewis I shot at Tacoma Sportman's Club.

No rapid fire, and brass that hits the deck is "theirs".

FWIW I never heard of any range 'public' range that allowed rapid fire and drills in the area. All geared towards fudds who shoot 20 rounds at most and take 5 minutes between shots.

I'm glad where Im at now (TX) I have a range within reasonable distance that pretty much lets you shoot how you want as long as you are hitting the target.

spamsammich
02-22-10, 02:54
You might try the training forums, there is a guy trying to organize a shoot in Ravensdale on March 5th. Otherwise it is not easy to find a place and nobody is giving up their secret spots these days. I had to resort to Kenmore gun range this weekend and their 1 round per magazine policy is awful. It made grouping pretty difficult because I had to mess up my cheek weld after ever shot and they are SUPER FUDDs.

ThirdWatcher
02-22-10, 04:29
A few years ago, I went to the gun club in Gig Harbor with my (late) father. I loaded up my (agency owned) pistol with fourteen rounds in the mag until the range nazi told me I could only load eight. I didn't make a scene out of respect for my father, but I haven't been back.

kenpstok151
02-22-10, 17:44
You might try the training forums, there is a guy trying to organize a shoot in Ravensdale on March 5th. Otherwise it is not easy to find a place and nobody is giving up their secret spots these days. I had to resort to Kenmore gun range this weekend and their 1 round per magazine policy is awful. It made grouping pretty difficult because I had to mess up my cheek weld after ever shot and they are SUPER FUDDs.

I went there to zero and now that that's done I'm out of options. Thanks for the other input

kenpstok151
02-22-10, 17:46
I used to go to Ft. Lewis ranges on weekend before Sept 11th. But the guns back then sucked (sort of) but now that the ban is gone now everywhere sucks to shoot. Just overheard the State is banning shooting up in the mountains. Well if anything comes up keep me posted. Thanks again guys

spamsammich
02-22-10, 17:53
Supposedly there is a decent public range out at Ebby Island, but I've never been out there. Good luck with the hunt. I joined West Coast Armory, mostly for their pistol ranges. But rumor has it Insights Training Center will have an office there. It aint gonna be cheap, but I'd love to do some higher round count classes under expert supervision as well as shooting in the woods for free.

I just found out my spot up in Monroe is being developed for residential. Who the **** has money to build these days?

Irish
02-22-10, 18:10
1 round per magazine?!?!?!? :confused:

kenpstok151
02-22-10, 18:17
1 round per magazine?!?!?!? :confused:
Load,charge,remove mag,shoot,load,charge,remove mag, shoot. I know it sucks:(

spamsammich
02-22-10, 18:21
It's their bullshit way of putting up with heat the range was getting from urban sprawl. They claim it helps keep noise down (bullshit) and keeps the riff raff out, which I sorta agree with. It didn't stop a guy trying to sight his nagant in from getting kicked out for flagging the line multiple times though. The RO was really up in this guy's grill, deservedly, I think there was some sort of english translation problem as the offender was an asian with a REALLY thick accent.

Anyway, to appease liberals in an ever increasingly residential area, they limit us to one round per mag. I've been tempted to load all of my mags with one round and whip through them as fast as I could to prove a point and leave but lets face it, I'm kinda chickenshit that way. The sportsmens association is doing the best that they can with a shitty situation. I don't need to be making it harder on them, at least there is a place to shoot 15 minutes from me. With the exception of one scenario I can think of, my worst day at the range kicks the shit out of my best day at the office.

spamsammich
02-22-10, 18:24
Remember, this is the same state that prevents us from using a silencer, but lets us own them, wants LEO to search our houses for evil guns, and let's one city try to dictate it's gun laws.

Severian
02-22-10, 18:35
You could try Issaquah Sportsmen's Club. They are over near the school. They do have the typical rules and range masters on site who keep everyone in line, but there's no silly rule on loading only one shot per mag. They will probably bust your ass for rapid-firing though, like any other range. I shoot M4's there with no problems.

If you absolutely do not want any ranges whatsoever, then you pretty much have to leave leave King County and head into the hills (and beyond).

kenpstok151
02-22-10, 20:27
I will try Issaquah out. Thanks friend

Sun195
02-22-10, 23:51
I think Issaquah has a ten-round/magazine limit (although I've never seen them check) and no rapid fire.

Renton Fish & Game is another one-shot kind of place; you can load-up handguns & .22lr rifles, though.

I believe that Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club is self-monitored so there are relatively few restrictions depending on who's there (which is a two-way street given the poor gun handling skill some people have). You do have to be a member & it's a bit of a drive from Seattle.

kenpstok151
02-23-10, 00:03
I did look up Issaquahs website. They do have some rules, but i think it'll be willing to give it a try

mattj
02-23-10, 00:37
Suck it up and become a member of Cascade Shooting Facilities (formerly Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club)... you'll thank yourself later.

maximus83
02-23-10, 00:58

You ain't kidding, you're being nice in describing Kenmore that way. I'm a member there, but only because they have a 300 yard rifle range for precision rifle practice close to home.

maximus83
02-23-10, 01:01
Load,charge,remove mag,shoot,load,charge,remove mag, shoot. I know it sucks:(

Yep. I finally broke down and bought one of those "bob sled" single load devices for the mag well. Pretty much takes the fun out of shooting an AR family weapon.

kenpstok151
02-23-10, 01:29
My question my friend is rules, in plain english how are the rules? I googled it and seen the range from above and its pretty impressive. Any insider info will help

mattj
02-23-10, 01:48
My question my friend is rules, in plain english how are the rules? I googled it and seen the range from above and its pretty impressive. Any insider info will help

Assume you are asking about Cascade? The rules are extremely permissive. The big one is that they want to make sure all bullets impact the berm (ricochets leaving the range have been a problem in the past). The only slightly annoying one is that you have to get "cleared" to shoot past 200 yards on the 600-yard highpower range (they don't want folks who don't know what they are doing dropping bullets through the roof of the 200 yard line) -- took me a while to be able to make it there when somebody was there who could give me "the test".

In general, its very permissive:

Want to shoot prone / or do position shooting -- no problem.

Want to shoot your .50 -- no problem.

Want to rapid fire -- no problem (as long as you keep impacts on the berm).

Want to practice your IDPA/IPSC pistol shooting -- I've never had problem finding an open bay.

There's not an on-duty rangemaster, so the folks there self-police. Occasionally run into folks that make me shake my head a little bit, but never had an "issue" with anybody or had any safety concerns.

Here's the rules from the website:
http://cascaderifleandpistol.org/html/range_rules.html

They do an orientation once a month so you can go check it out if you like before ponying up for membership (have to do the orientation if you want to join anyway).

...hope that helps.

-Matt

mattj
02-23-10, 01:51
Also wanted to add that if you can make it there early in the day during the week you can often have the whole place to yourself :)

kenpstok151
02-23-10, 02:05
I am a member of the NRA I did notice that part of the membership. and man if I had a 50 cal, I actually don't have anything to say after that hahaha. Thanks for the look

mattj
02-23-10, 02:07
Anytime!