PDA

View Full Version : precision..lol...Savage Scout

woody d
02-22-10, 09:07
i dont think this gun fits in any sections here, but i did bring one home saturday. accustock, accutrigger, and a B-square mount. at only 35, my vision is still 100%, so i may go with the peep sights on it for awhile, but if i choose to mount a scope in the froward position, what would you guys choose? i have a basic Busnell Trophy red dot collecting dust, but its only 4 MOA. i havent shot the scout yet due to the extreme cold here in Iowa, but im betting i can do better than 4" with the irons provided. this is my first scout gun, but i have always had good luck with Savage guns, so i figured, why not?:D

Dirk Williams
02-22-10, 09:36
Ive owned a couple Savages. I guess I still do. I purchased a 300WM police model. It simply would not shoot into 3in@100y. It would string up and down and in general drove me nuts. I called the factory, they told me put a muzzle brake on it, I did for improved accuracy.

It shot even worse. I called the factory they said sorry can't help you , you modified the gun by putting a muzzle brake on it. WTF. SOOOOOOOOOOO I still have a savage kinda.

I did use the action, had it trued up, put a big lug on, a 30 inch #9 Krieger barrel, Manners stock, and a Mark 4 tactical scope. O yea a vias muzzle brake. I also got rid of the shitty trigger with a after market trigger This SAVAGE now shoots like it was supposed to. In fact this 300WM is a tack driver now.

Its sad, Ive owned savage 308s that shoot really good in the past. Good luck to you on your new purchase, I hope it works for you. If you need savage parts I seem to have a pile of them .

Dirk

tpd223
02-22-10, 10:05
I have a Burris on my Scout, really decent scope.

smithjd
02-22-10, 11:02
I have a "Gen I" Savage Scout, purchased in 2004 (I think). I put a Leupold 2.5x EER scope on it and it's been great.

ETA: I used Leupold quick release rings, and they've held solid. Make sure the B square mount is loctited down. I had that come loose once.

Had it duracoated so maintenance is easy. I added another sling swivel ahead of the mag well and use a Wilderness Ching Sling. Good for shooting, but less good than a 2 point sling for carrying.

I don't shoot a lot of groups with it, but when I zero'd it (about 1.5" high at 100 with 150 grain Nosler BT handloads), it was well a lot closer to 1 MOA than 2 MOA.

Basically just put the crosshairs on anything that you want down, press the trigger, and its down. Its not a bean field rifle, but great for my AO.

Great little gun to carry and hunt with. It is now my son's.

subzero
02-22-10, 11:36
I had the Burris scope on my Steyr Scout and I've used one on a Savage Scout as well. The 2.75x magnification seemed rather lacking to me. I wanted to be able to see a lot further, even if I give up some short range availability.

I bookmarked this thread on Lightfighter a couple of years ago, mainly because of the discussion of the Burris 2-7X Ballistic plex scope. More magnification and built in BDC is exactly what I'm looking for in a Scout scope.

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/7871064323/p/1

Caveat: I haven't actually bought it yet. I'm waiting for OpticsPlanet or Midway to put it on sale.

FWIW: This guy makes 10 round mags for the newer Savage Scout. A bit spendy, but when you consider a factory Savage mag is like 35 bucks, this is ok.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

woody d
02-22-10, 12:14
74 bucks is a little pricey for a mag, but if theyre 100 percent reliable im gonna check into them for sure. Lord knows ive spent alot more than on a magazine before:eek:

AJS
02-25-10, 04:27
Heat shrinking one spring to another to get more length is not a reliable mod in my opinion.

chris914
02-28-10, 06:21
I have a Savage scout with the Burris Scout scope. The only issues I have with keeping it under 1 MOA is the cross hairs on the scope being too large. The scope is going to Burris for a Ballistic Plex swap out. Other than that. The rifle does exactly what I need it to do. With a good rest I have shot groups approaching 1 MOA at 100. That was with Federal 150 NBT loads. I would have no issues carrying it all over the lower 48 with a little bit better constructed bullet.

I have yet to find a Savage rifle that would not shoot well. I own 5 of them now.And I know of or have shot at least a dozen more. All have shot inside 1 MOA of better with factory ammo.

DrMark
02-28-10, 10:14
This thread needs more pictures!

...just sayin'.

:)

woody d
02-28-10, 11:38
heres a couple pics:D