PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Colt in NYS

wintermute
02-22-10, 10:59
I found a sweet Colt Target Match M4 in one of my haunts and I must have it. Since the "Colt AR-15" is specifically listed in the NYS laws as an assault weapon, do I have to worry about any legality issues? On the other hand, they come right out of Colt's factory NYS compliant - pinned stock, pinned compensator, etc. Thanks.

BronxFireGuy
02-22-10, 11:02
I have a 6920 that I bought from my local shop. As long as it is NYS compliant as you said, it's fine.

wintermute
02-22-10, 11:03
I have a 6920 that I bought from my local shop. As long as it is NYS compliant as you said, it's fine.

That's what I thought, but you can never be too sure with all of these kakamamy NYS laws. Have you ever seen the NYS knife laws? They're so vague they're pretty much set up so you can get busted for owning (not just carrying) any type of knife.

How do you like the 6920?

BronxFireGuy
02-22-10, 11:26
Yeah, NYS pretty much has a law against anything fun. Not sure where in NY your located, but just to extend on my previous comment, if your anywhere in NYS OTHER THAN NYC you will be fine. From what I understand of it (NYC guys will correct me if I'm wrong) you need a long rifle permit to be able to own a rifle or shotgun, and I'm not sure if your allowed any military style rifles at all, Just bolt actions and shotguns.

As far as my 6920, I love it. I'm not a Colt groupie, but I got it at a good price, it fits my needs perfectly, and (knock on wood) it has been a reliable SOB, considering how little I like to clean it. I run her wet and she keeps going bang.

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 11:29
I love my 6920. But knowing what I know now, I could have got a rifle of the same quailty for less, even with a few perks like a rail and BUIS, things that I paid for after I bought my 6920. Do I have buyers remorse? Not at all, like I said I love my 6920. My next AR will be a Noveske:cool:

Echo146
02-22-10, 15:34
I bought a colt target match MT6400C a few month ago from Gander Mountain in Kingston NY. They check it out and as long as it is NYS compliant you are good to go. They still have a Colt MT6700C, a bushmaster and S&W MP there, if you are looking.

wintermute
02-23-10, 14:57
Thanks for the info but one of the local shops down here on Long Island has the 6920 in stock - just have to get there on Saturday before someone lays claim to it.