PDA

View Full Version : Do It Yourself: Different color PMAGs and other polymer/plastic items

Pages : [1] 2 3

danpass
02-22-10, 11:22
So I decided to chase an orange PMAG. Figured I would do it myself since they are not available and individuals who are selling want a steep premium.

Ingredients:

Rit Dye (Walmart bleach section [not crafts section], shoe shine area from my local Winn Dixie grocery store are the places I've found Rit Dye.)

FDE PMAG

Lessons learned:

Both amount of dye and amount of time factor into the color change so try to do everything at the same time.
I did one PMAG first and then the other the next day and was really, really, really close in a color match. I ended up leaving it in the solution about 30 seconds longer than I should have.
If you end up doing more later on, dip in increments until you get the match.

Bring water to a near boil instead of an actual boil.
My first PMAG tests were in boiling water and while there doesn't appear to be any actual function issues I figured it would be best not to push it lol.

FDE is the best host color to get the color you're looking for. Yellow rit dye on foliage green simply resulted in a darker, puke green.

Add dye to the water until you are just slightly darker than the color you're after. By this I mean adding like the tip of a tablespoon until you're close to your color choice. If you go overboard dump out half the solution and add plain water.
The brick red PMAG is a result of adding the whole sunshine orange packet to 6 cups of water lol. The lighter, more orange PMAG was the second attempt using that little tip.

Use stainless steel pots and tongs for easy cleanup.

Use the liquid dye (instead of powder). Only because it's easier to store and less potential for mess.

Camera color balanced off an 18% gray card.
http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v0/p505726331.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v5/p300589172.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v6/p92747918.jpg

rob_s
02-22-10, 11:30
Any way of knowing if it's actually dying the material or just sticking to it like paint?

I might give that a try, think I still have some tan Pmags around here.

Blowby
02-22-10, 11:30
I guess you're screwed if all your Pmag's are black.

danpass
02-22-10, 11:33
Any way of knowing if it's actually dying the material or just sticking to it like paint?

It's a surface treatment (the way parkerizing is I suppose).

I had thought of taking a sliver off with a razor, thanks for the reminder.

When you pull out the components it says to gradually rinse with cooler and cooler water but I believe that's in reference to the process when dying fabrics.

I simply pulled out the plastic parts and rinsed them off, nothing 'washed' off.

danpass
02-22-10, 11:35
I guess you're screwed if all your Pmag's are black.
Good excuse to get some FDE :D

I only had two FDE (that are now brick red lol) and ordered up four more mags (FDEx2 and FGx2) just for this.

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 11:36
Nice DIY:) Ive been hunting DIY's on here the last few days. I even suggested that it would be nice if we had a DIY section on here to compile them all in one place but I guess that wasnt as good of an idea as I thought, that thread died quick lol.

danpass
02-22-10, 11:49
I have to ask: why dye instead of spray paint?

so it won't chip off

subzero
02-22-10, 11:50
I have to ask: why dye instead of spray paint?

danpass
02-22-10, 11:51
that was weird. Time traveling posts!

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 12:03

i thought you were psychic for a sec there:p

LOKNLOD
02-22-10, 12:24

It's the John Locke picture under his name.

On topic, on my monitor here at work, I like that far left brick-red pmag. It looks similar to one of the rubber red-guns.

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 13:34
Has anyone tried doing this on a stock or rail covers? Im new to this RIT stuff so I don't know how versatile it is. I also assume trying to match furniture thats made from different materials using dye may not be easy???

Kilo 1-1
02-22-10, 13:48
That's interesting, thanks for the info.

The yellow pmag in the middle reminds me of the SCAR yellow/gold.

Spiffums
02-22-10, 15:11
Shoe dye.......... it's not just for bride's maids and proms anymore.

Looks really good.

technique
02-22-10, 18:21
That's awesome interested to see how it holds up to some scratches and such.

Thanks for the cool, very unique how to.

danpass
02-22-10, 18:52

Ok, got some pics.

It is just penetrating into the material. Just to clarify some heat is needed to help penetration.

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v3/p840961946.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v11/p761974290.jpg

glockeyed
02-22-10, 19:29
excellent photos!

and it looks as it penetrates pretty good too!

Heavy Metal
02-22-10, 19:33
I am going to dye some FDE mags Brown.

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 19:36
excellent photos!

and it looks as it penetrates pretty good too!

I agree. That looks like it would hold up better than paint. Good penetration:D

danpass
02-22-10, 19:48
I am going to dye some FDE mags Brown.

add dye until your solution is the same color you want.

it should end up being a little lighter than you're after.

this way you're leaving yourself the option of going darker.

wes007
02-22-10, 19:53
Will this process work on other polymers as well?

glockeyed
02-22-10, 20:04

it could. i had just dyed some wood grips, and it colored the plastic bowl i used.

as for the mags... i just had a thought that you can test it on the dust covers first

danpass
02-22-10, 20:12

it'll depend on the polymer.

I bought a dark green Plano 50rnd ammo box and wanted to dye it black to make it different from my other ones.

Even after 20 minutes BOILING in a FULL pack of Rit Black dye it only got to a dark navy color.

So, while it did dye the polymer, it didn't quite meet the intent.

But it was 'close enough' lol

danpass
02-22-10, 20:17
it could. i had just dyed some wood grips, and it colored the plastic bowl i used.

as for the mags... i just had a thought that you can test it on the dust covers first

I did that with the foliage green dust cover to find out the effect of yellow.

at least I don't have one puke green PMAG now (just the dustcover) :D

Mung
02-22-10, 20:47
Hmmm... I can't find a black ACS stock in stock. Maybe dying a foilage green black will work?

Heavy Metal
02-22-10, 21:01
I doubt black would work very well.

skyugo
02-22-10, 21:16
cool!
i remember guys used to dye nylon RC car parts. the stuff was generally white nylon back in the early 90's when i was into that stuff. supposedly the boiling process made the nylon "stronger" too. i have some doubts on that.

Vic303
02-22-10, 21:43
You can use RIT to dye natural color G-10 for things like knives. Best to make it black as black tends to work best on G-10, but for FRN, especially white Sprint Run Spydercos you can use the whole range of RIT and get some really neat colors.

eternal24k
02-22-10, 21:46
I wonder if windows would become tinted, but still usable

Evil Colt 6920
02-22-10, 22:05
I wonder if windows would become tinted, but still usable

Since this thread started, ive been googling:D I happen to have come across this topic where someone tried to stain glass with red color, it came out pink and wore out quickly.

eternal24k
02-22-10, 22:14
Since this thread started, ive been googling:D I happen to have come across this topic where someone tried to stain glass with red color, it came out pink and wore out quickly.

I think the plastic would take the dye better than glass, but probably wear out much faster than the rest just due to it being less porous than the opaque plastic mag body. I had other concerns with the window losing integrity, but i think if i do not do it too hot it should be fine...

I think I'm going to get some RIT soon

danpass
02-22-10, 22:17
I wonder if windows would become tinted, but still usableSince this thread started, ive been googling:D I happen to have come across this topic where someone tried to stain glass with red color, it came out pink and wore out quickly.

It would have been my first try but all my windows are black.

What I would have done (and probably will) is tape that holds well under water (for a short time anyway) covering the windows.

I would likely do a template and cut the shape out with a razor and then apply.

The other one will be to apply the tape and softly cut off the excess (leaving the window covered).

Applying it to the inside just right would be the true challenge.

strambo
02-22-10, 22:26
Could tape be used as a stencil to number the mags...or would the dye leech in making the number messed up? Could you throw a black cover in the pot next time as well?

(I'm deployed, trying to see if I can get you to experiment for me before I get home :D )

danpass
02-22-10, 22:40
I think stencil and paint pen would be moh bettah

Tangotag
02-22-10, 22:51
I have done some plastic dying.
You can generally go to a darker shade only. Your success depending on the plastic being dyed. Some will take dye better than others.
I have seen Polish Tantal upper gas tube covers from the common Brown and Plum dyed to the much elusive Black.
Russian Plum 74 mags are dyeable to the very expensive Black 74 mags.
Years back USC & SL8 rifles were popular in plastic dying.

Not my site but you get the idea.
http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/USC45/
http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/

The FNP90s originally came in green only for semi and there were a few guys with big heated tanks doing black plastic dye jobs.
PMag windows would most likely tint to non-transparent state with the window being a plastic.
I would doubt any tape for stenciling would hold up very well as when we used the powder dye in a thick batch it was brought to a boil in a large stainless container and the plastic was submersed after the heat was turned down to a simmer. Parts are held in the heated solution by stainless wire for at least a minute but less if the plastic is thin. But, with stenciling one might have some success using a thick coat of paint for the stencil before dying and then removing paint after. Remember when you submerse the magazine in the solution it penetrates from the inside of the plastic as well. With dying there will be some penetration if not completely thru the plastic, again this depends on the plastic composition.

Gramps
02-22-10, 23:39
http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/

Quote from above link about dying black:

Dark stocks CANNOT be made "Lighter", so please do not ask. It is simply impossible. the very attributes of the special dyes, equipment, and procedures involved in this process that allow these changes to be made, also prohibit it from working on Dark colors.

So that should answer the question about "Black Mags etc".

strambo
02-23-10, 01:45
So that should answer the question about "Black Mags etc".Hmm...yeah. I'll still try it on a cover just to be sure. I also might try white 1st, then a color. If that doesn't work, paint pen or spray paint it is for the black ones, dye for the FDE's.

I bet using white dye on FDE 1st, followed by any color would get good results.

motorolahamm
02-23-10, 09:24
Have you tried blue? I need some blue floor plates for training classes

eternal24k
02-23-10, 11:07
It would have been my first try but all my windows are black.

What I would have done (and probably will) is tape that holds well under water (for a short time anyway) covering the windows.

I would likely do a template and cut the shape out with a razor and then apply.

The other one will be to apply the tape and softly cut off the excess (leaving the window covered).

Applying it to the inside just right would be the true challenge.

I am going to try a window with nothing, if it makes it too dark to use, I am going to see if I can do the dye at a lower temp and rub/apply wax over the windows.

eternal24k
02-23-10, 14:34
Well,
I dyed some mags brown, came out pretty plum, I really underestimated how much 1 tablespoon of dye in 8 cups water was. Windows are clear as before,
planning on doing another batch later, shooting for a color to match my DD/Spikes anodized brown

Gramps
02-23-10, 15:13
Could you possibly post some done windowed pics? Please?

danpass
02-23-10, 15:14
Well,
I dyed some mags brown, came out pretty plum, I really underestimated how much 1 tablespoon of dye in 8 cups water was. Windows are clear as before,
planning on doing another batch later, shooting for a color to match my DD/Spikes anodized brown

lol

See the Lessons Learned section in the op

whoops ....... too late :D

edit: added some clarification to the op

eternal24k
02-23-10, 15:35
I now have 10 plum pmags
I plan on doing another batch with some XTM panels soon and less dye, these were done for 15-20 seconds :eek:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/DSC_0001.jpg
Next batch I am going to try and match with the color of this receiver
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/DSC_0004.jpg

Now excuse me as I go sell some uber rare russian made plum pmags on Gunbroker :p

danpass
02-23-10, 15:40
I now have 10 plum pmags
I plan on doing another batch with some XTM panels soon and less dye, these were done for 15-20 seconds :eek:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/DSC_0001.jpg
Next batch I am going to try and match with the color of this receiver
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/DSC_0004.jpg

Now excuse me as I go sell some uber rare russian made plum pmags on Gunbroker :p

lol, nice work :D

Heck, just make them darker.

eternal24k
02-23-10, 15:41
lol

See the Lessons Learned section in the op

whoops ....... too late :D

edit: added some clarification to the op

oh, I read "Add dye to the water until you are just slightly darker than the color you're after" and was planning on doing that,
but I added the tablespoon and was like "whoa! can't let that go to waste"
I like them, but it wasnt what I was shooting for

ETA:
In my "lessons learned" I would like to say
1) double check your dark dye water before you flush it down the toilet, you might flush a base plate :(

danpass
02-23-10, 19:01
lol

I remember when I put that whole packet in the water

"whoa .............. that's dark ........................ but let's see what happens"

:cool:

eternal24k
02-24-10, 12:02
thought about it last night and I didnt like two things
1) how plum they were
2) how little the dye must have soaked in due to short time

so I put them all back in boiling water just barely darker than the color i wanted ;)
for around 4 minutes each.

the result, a less plum more brown very very nice dark earth color.

I just ordered a Foliage CTR and MIAD to do in my next batch, I really like this color

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/DSC_0009.jpg?t=1267033955
"combat chocolate" pmags with FDE, Foliage, and OD

danpass
02-24-10, 12:52
Very nice!

"combat chocolate" ……… catchy :D

michschi
02-24-10, 14:54
Very nice!

"combat chocolate" ……… catchy :D

I 3rd the combat chocolate

glockeyed
02-24-10, 16:31
Love it!

to get CC you started with FDE and orange RIT?

i think we should "catalog" our recipes

eternal24k
02-24-10, 17:42
Love it!

to get CC you started with FDE and orange RIT?

i think we should "catalog" our recipes

thanks,
and thanks for reminding me.
For Combat Chocolate I used Foliage for my base and "Cocoa Brown" for the dye, UDE and FDE came out way too plum/purple/brick red, I plan on mixing some cocoa with green to dye UDE ad FDE at some point.

I just bought a CTR and MIAD from DSG on their green sale, wish they still had 10 packs of Foliage pmags for $100 shipped...

Col_Crocs
02-24-10, 18:15
+1 You should patent that color. :D I havent heard anything that catchy since I left advertising school. :D

danpass
02-24-10, 18:30
thanks,
and thanks for reminding me.
For Combat Chocolate I used Foliage for my base and "Cocoa Brown" for the dye, UDE and FDE came out way too plum/purple/brick red, I plan on mixing some cocoa with green to dye UDE ad FDE at some point.

I just bought a CTR and MIAD from DSG on their green sale, wish they still had 10 packs of Foliage pmags for $100 shipped...

http://www.ritdye.com/Create_Custom_Color.9.lasso

Google 'color wheel'

Col_Crocs
02-24-10, 19:05
Id love to see dark urban grey (charcoal grey from the attached link) furniture. Maybe a bit of blue and then black on foliage colored furniture?

eternal24k
02-24-10, 19:30
Id love to see dark urban grey (charcoal grey from the attached link) furniture. Maybe a bit of blue and then black on foliage colored furniture?

I have long wanted an urban gray/navy gray.
I bet a UDE or a foliage with just some black would do it.
I have some extra UDE panels I might try, (after all, they cant be worse than the purple batch I did)

eternal24k
02-27-10, 16:06
Think I found the color I was originally looking for, did a batch of mags, CTR, and MIAD in what I would call an Urban Dark Earth (I will call it Dark Urban Earth), not that Larue did it wrong, just what my take would have been. Love this color, almost identical to DD DE rails. It's hard to photograph, but here is my best attempts

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/050.jpg?t=1267307524
(FDE, Dark Urban Earth, Foliage, Combat Chocolate, OD Green, Black)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/041-2.jpg?t=1267307806

glockeyed
02-28-10, 08:28
kick ass! :cool:

RogerinTPA
02-28-10, 10:06
Those are great dye jobs eternal24k. When I get the time, I might try it with my black pmags to see were it goes. It may be a 2 dye job, light color first, then desired color.

Think I found the color I was originally looking for, did a batch of mags, CTR, and MIAD in what I would call an Urban Dark Earth (I will call it Dark Urban Earth), not that Larue did it wrong, just what my take would have been. Love this color, almost identical to DD DE rails. It's hard to photograph, but here is my best attempts

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/050.jpg?t=1267307524
(FDE, Dark Urban Earth, Foliage, Combat Chocolate, OD Green, Black)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/041-2.jpg?t=1267307806

eternal24k
02-28-10, 16:21
Those are great dye jobs eternal24k. When I get the time, I might try it with my black pmags to see were it goes. It may be a 2 dye job, light color first, then desired color.

Thanks,
don't think your going to get very far with black pmags though, unless you literally painted them white and dyed that :(

Here are some more pics of my favorite rifle with DUE furniture.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/061-1.jpg?t=1267394904
here you can see the nie coyote brown with DUE

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/049.jpg?t=1267395181
more DUE goodness :)

Jimbo45
02-28-10, 17:14
Wow, that DUE does (sounds silly) look a lot like my DD FDE Omega rail.

SuicideHz
02-28-10, 17:36
Ok so how much of the cocoa dye did you add to how much water to get that dark urban earth color that so closely matches the DD rail?

And what about the grip that's NOT attached to the rail? I do not like that one so much.

eternal24k
02-28-10, 17:47
Ok so how much of the cocoa dye did you add to how much water to get that dark urban earth color that so closely matches the DD rail?

And what about the grip that's NOT attached to the rail? I do not like that one so much.

1/8 teaspoon of DARK BROWN in 10 cups water, both grips were in the same solution, the DUE is a foliage, while the other was a FDE

eternal24k
02-28-10, 17:48
Wow, that DUE does (sounds silly) look a lot like my DD FDE Omega rail.

its almost identical, let me see if i have a pic with just 1 DUE (i pronounce dewey lol), on the RIS rail

strambo
03-01-10, 02:01
That is pretty badass, esp. with the matching Spikes lower/upper/DD rail!

Evil Colt 6920
03-01-10, 12:14
I had my first experience with RIT dye yesterday, getting my jute ready for a ghillie suit. Its made me more comfortable with the thought of dying my AR furniture. I was able to make a lot of different shades of color using one pack of dye. The dark green got me all different shades of green, even did a more concentrated mix of green that looks black its so dark. Its all about the mixture and how long you let something soak in it. I'm learning thanks to this thread. :)

lil'Zeus
03-01-10, 12:14
Looks awesome, I wish I could figure out how to do one in Lime Green!!!

Has anyone tried using the Grey color that you can get from Larue Tactical? The urban color?

later
shane

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 12:22
Thanks a bunch E24k! I'm going to be giving this a try.

Luckily I jumped on the sale DSG was having on Pmags- 10 windowed FG Pmags for like $90 shipped! They owed me free shipping because of an AFG preorder folly on their part so I'm a happy camper.

The FG doesn't go so well with DD FDE Duracoat (looks like a mint chocolate rifle) so this will be the perfect solution.

It's nice to see the plastic of the clear windows is "dye proof" too!

michschi
03-01-10, 14:51
If you cut out like a number stencil for instance and stuck it to the mag would it leave that spot un dyed or no! If that worked it might be a neat way to number your mags

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 14:58
As mentioned earlier, tape probably won't hold up to boiling water.

Maybe get some of the peel and stick vinyl numbers and give that a try.

The water will probably still seep in under the vinyl because of the rough surface of the Pmags.

eternal24k
03-01-10, 15:13
electrical tape would probably work, but for that I would do a higher ratio of dye to reduce time spent, my CTR was latched and the portion the latch covers with contact was almost un-dyed, and that was in the dye for several minutes.
Probably too much work stenciling for my taste, I prefer the 4 second paint marker.

ETA,
this page needs more DUE
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/0562.jpg?t=1267477622

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 17:36
Oh crap! I bought Cocoa like someone mentioned.

Great...

Oh well. Gonna dye some of the topcovers tomorrow and see what I get...

eternal24k
03-01-10, 18:07
Oh crap! I bought Cocoa like someone mentioned.

Great...

Oh well. Gonna dye some of the topcovers tomorrow and see what I get...

The combat chocolate is with cocoa, but be careful, and it does way better with foliage than FDE, fde comes out very very plum/brick red.

eternal24k
03-01-10, 18:08
Thanks a bunch E24k! I'm going to be giving this a try.

Luckily I jumped on the sale DSG was having on Pmags- 10 windowed FG Pmags for like $90 shipped! They owed me free shipping because of an AFG preorder folly on their part so I'm a happy camper.

The FG doesn't go so well with DD FDE Duracoat (looks like a mint chocolate rifle) so this will be the perfect solution.

It's nice to see the plastic of the clear windows is "dye proof" too!

I hate FG, but bought a 10 pack of those pmags, wish they had more
but the going green sale is still going!

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 18:56
Holy hell. I just did your recipe with cocoa brown.

Turned out great on the mag covers. I did the first and it was a little dark. Did the others a few minutes less and I'm happy with the results but I will do the mags themselves for a few minutes less still.

First was 10 minutes, then 8 minutes for the rest. I'll do the mags for 6 minutes each and get the exact color I want.

The 8 minute one matches the DD FDE Duracoat on my receiver extension, ASAP plate and safety exactly. I'd like the mags to be a little less dark to work better with the Tiger Stripe Brown.

danpass
03-01-10, 19:02
Holy hell. I just did your recipe with cocoa brown.

Turned out great on the mag covers. I did the first and it was a little dark. Did the others a few minutes less and I'm happy with the results but I will do the mags themselves for a few minutes less still.

First was 10 minutes, then 8 minutes for the rest. I'll do the mags for 6 minutes each and get the exact color I want.

The 8 minute one matches the DD FDE Duracoat on my receiver extension, ASAP plate and safety exactly. I'd like the mags to be a little less dark to work better with the Tiger Stripe Brown.

what? those aren't pics!

:D nice work

danpass
03-01-10, 19:20
I hate FG, but bought a 10 pack of those pmags, wish they had more
but the going green sale is still going!

is it two different deals you guys are talking about?

eternal24k
03-01-10, 19:22
is it two different deals you guys are talking about?

DSG used to have GenI window pmags 10 for $99 shipped. But they also have a pretty good sale on green magpul items

SuicideHZ, I believe you owe us some pics

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 19:23
Yeah I know I know. My photo server is down. I sent the iPhone pics to a friend. Hopefully he'll get me links soon...

Ok I just uploaded them to a new Flickr account.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4399353343_78cd90ac61_o.jpg

Dyed FG PMag covers. Left one is standard Magpul FDE, next is the first Foliage Green cover I did, 3rd is the second attempt at which I decreased the dyeing time and last is the standard Foliage Green for comparison.

Behind the mags you can see an FDE MOE grip, A Duracoat Tiger Stripe Brown upper and lower receiver with Daniel Defense FDE on the ASAP plate, safety and Magpul BAD Lever.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705/4399353429_1c082159bb_o.jpg

Another pic showing the second round of dyed covers (lighter) against the Duracoated Daniel Defense Flat Dark Earth receiver extension. Sorry for the shiny oil. I should have removed it. It almost matches the DD FDE perfectly. DD FDE also matches the ASAP plate well.

Ignore the crappy looking castle nut. That's just oil and moisture from bringing it in from the cold and setting it near the boiling dye water- not a lousy DC job. The Castle nut and receivers are Tiger Stripe Brown Like I mentioned.

Also, ignore the FDE PMag sitting in lacquer thinner in the background. I had painted that a dark brown many moons ago. It needs to come off since I want to play around with dyeing the FDE stuff too. MOE is next...

danpass
03-01-10, 19:26
its about 20min. I think he's working on it :D

eta: yep:D

eternal24k
03-01-10, 19:37
I like that TSB

danpass
03-01-10, 20:02
nice, I like the 8 min dip myself :)

danpass
03-01-10, 20:08
does anyone feel the Lessons Learned needs revision or more clarity?

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 20:20
Not really. Just "have at it".

That's all I did.

I got the water up to a partial boil and turned the heat down to just over halfway (yeah, not technical I know) but it's not rocket science.

You can easily pick the parts out and check the color and put them right back or dump it into the sink to stop the process.

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 21:13
E24K- yeah, I've always loved the TSB ever since I used it in 04 or so. I had painted an entire rifle- back when Travis was first on TOS and he told me he thought it was pretty cool. That really turned my cheeks red since I had a lot of respect for him.

Dan- Thanks. The 8min job is nicer for sure.

Tomorrow I will get a temp reading of the water when I stabilize it so you've got an exact recipe in case your a little hesitant- I know how it can feel.

BlueApocalypse
03-01-10, 21:37
I came across this post earlier in the evening and was impressed. Not having to worry about spray paint, fumes, etc... what's not to like? (Especially when it's freezing cold outside and nowhere in side to paint.)

Anyways - I went out to Walmart and picked up some supplies. I had 4 OD Green PMags sitting around to be my helpless test subjects... and like any mad scientist I just dove in to the project; No measuring at all. :p

Supplies:
1x Exacto Knive
1x Rit Dye (Black)
1x Roll of Waterproof Tape (Not the medical kind)
1x Small bucket

Results (left to right) :

Mag1: Original Black Pmag
Mag2: OD Green Pmag dipped in black for about 5 minutes
Mag3: OD Green Pmag dipped twice with tape pattern at different intervals for different levels of black. Not the best but there's black, dark-dark grey-green and OD green.
Mag4: Original OD Green Pmag.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/656/sdc10709l.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4923/sdc10710l.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7541/sdc10711.jpg

What I learned so far: When you apply the tape - use a sharp edge to press down all sides of each piece you use. If not, you'll get some bleeding.

michschi
03-01-10, 21:42
But with tape numbers can be done

danpass
03-01-10, 21:58
I came across this post earlier in the evening and was impressed. Not having to worry about spray paint, fumes, etc... what's not to like? (Especially when it's freezing cold outside and nowhere in side to paint.)

Anyways - I went out to Walmart and picked up some supplies. I had 4 OD Green PMags sitting around to be my helpless test subjects... and like any mad scientist I just dove in to the project; No measuring at all. :p

Supplies:
1x Exacto Knive
1x Rit Dye (Black)
1x Roll of Waterproof Tape (Not the medical kind)
1x Small bucket

Results (left to right) :

Mag1: Original Black Pmag
Mag2: OD Green Pmag dipped in black for about 5 minutes
Mag3: OD Green Pmag dipped twice with tape pattern at different intervals for different levels of black. Not the best but there's black, dark-dark grey-green and OD green.
Mag4: Original OD Green Pmag.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/656/sdc10709l.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4923/sdc10710l.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7541/sdc10711.jpg

What I learned so far: When you apply the tape - use a sharp edge to press down all sides of each piece you use. If not, you'll get some bleeding.

I still hadn't tried tape and had some casual thoughts about those digital paint kit templates. An idea was to do that or stripes of some type.

That looks great :D

eternal24k
03-01-10, 22:00
very cool

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 22:44
Ah DAMN! I had an idea similar to yours but without using tape.

I just may have to try it now to one-up you!!

I have a completely and STRANGE way of "masking" and I'm gonna have to "go there" now even though I was afraid to.

Good job though! I love this thread. :D

PS- I also have what I believe could prove to be an excellent way to reproduce ATACS (sp?) camouflage.

I just may have to try it out in order to outshine E24K for getting this process moving in the right direction...

BlueApocalypse
03-01-10, 22:47
I still hadn't tried tape and had some casual thoughts about those digital paint kit templates. An idea was to do that or stripes of some type.

That looks great :D

Thanks! Wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for yourself and Eternal24k.

BlueApocalypse
03-01-10, 22:56
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8674/sdc10715.jpg
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4683/sdc10717z.jpg

Went out and got some of the red dye. Just playing around with what I've got. I have an idea for a multi-cam type pattern but I need to get a FDE pmag first.

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 23:37
This is dangerous. I now hate this thread.

I have too much time on my hands with being recently laid off.

This is too much fun. Bad news is I only have two FDE Pmags to play with and 10 FG ones...

The black ones are no-go, right? I wonder what bleach and other chemicals would do...

Just kidding- anything harsh that gets into the polymers pores when heated could leave it brittle or weak and I don't want that.

I'm tempted to have a collection of a dozen Picasso-esque Pmags. You know- no two alike and all CRAZY looking.

Maybe not...

SuicideHz
03-01-10, 23:50
Sorry Dan, I forgot to give you props for being the OP. I actually forgot you were the OP when you started asking questions again. Sorry. Thanks for the thread and the fun I'm having with this!

Gramps
03-01-10, 23:53
BlueApocalypse

You did that Red on a Black mag correct? It broke up the black better than I expected. Looks good to me for a lite breakup.

BlueApocalypse
03-02-10, 00:11
BlueApocalypse

You did that Red on a Black mag correct? It broke up the black better than I expected. Looks good to me for a lite breakup.

Negative - that was my last OD Green Pmag that I dipped in a wine-red Rit for a good ten minutes. Took it out, dried it with a hair dryer, taped it up and re-dipped it for another 10 in black.

BlueApocalypse
03-02-10, 01:09
I was just thinking that the Emag would be great for dipping with patterns. It's plain flat body would be perfect. To bad Magpul only has them in black at the moment.

BlueApocalypse
03-02-10, 01:49
This is dangerous. I now hate this thread.

I have too much time on my hands with being recently laid off.

This is too much fun. Bad news is I only have two FDE Pmags to play with and 10 FG ones...

The black ones are no-go, right? I wonder what bleach and other chemicals would do...

Just kidding- anything harsh that gets into the polymers pores when heated could leave it brittle or weak and I don't want that.

I'm tempted to have a collection of a dozen Picasso-esque Pmags. You know- no two alike and all CRAZY looking.

Maybe not...

I know what you mean man - I wish there was a pure white Pmag to work with. (UDE is the closest we'll get though)

SuicideHz
03-02-10, 10:50
Magpul would be smart to start selling them in white. Some people would mate them with their DPMS winter guns and others would buy them in bulk to dye and resell...

SuicideHz
03-02-10, 11:39
New information- did the floorplates for 4 minutes only and got the full color.

Next I did a mag body for 3 minutes and got full color.

Then I did a mag body for 2 minutes and got the full color- no discernible difference in shade.

I then put a follower back in for another 3 minutes- doubling it's time vs. the others with NO discernible difference.

So in summary, the color depth is dictated by the water/dye ratio and not length of time, provided you soak long enough for color penetration.

I was measuring the temperature and due to my gas burner, I was getting fluctuations and differences in different areas of the pot anywhere from 160 degrees to 190+ degrees. Funny thing is, there was a good amount of boil going on at 160 degrees even. Don't be afraid to BOIL the water with the RIT Dye in it. It seems to REALLY lower the boiling point of my city tap water- filtered water from Lake Michigan.

And I also did an FDE floorplate. YUCK. Cocoa is NOT FDE's friend. It's a chocolate brown like KG Gunkote Federal Brown which I had sprayed the rifle in then sanded off in prep for the TSB and DD FDE.

I continue on... reporting back soon...

SuicideHz
03-02-10, 12:04
OK- first two mags were much darker than my covers. Just a grain or two too much dye it seems.

I took two cups of mixed water out and replaced it with two cups of clean water.

One mag was almost perfect match for TSB. Then the next two got a little darker- culprit was the boiling water. I had to add two more cups of hot water to get it back to 10 so I tried again with good results.

I'm going to experiment with the FDE mag. It's floorplate is ugly. We'll see what kind of nifty things we can do with the mag.

SuicideHz
03-02-10, 12:40
One more tip- ALWAYS save your covers, or at least a few, for testing a new batch of dye.

The 8th mag body did not take the dye. It had maroon spots of water all over it when I took it out. I suppose the granules contain some sort of agent that embeds the color and that might have been used up. I had to dump the solution and start over for the last three mag bodies. The one is halfway dyed but not enough color and it wouldn't take more...

Who cares if the covers match so I'd suggest always doing the bulk of those last and keep some around for testing...

glockeyed
03-02-10, 13:19
awesome thread. i may pick up some dye. i have FG mags/furniture a few light washes of black to get a dark "shadow" gray....

BlueApocalypse
03-03-10, 14:45
Anyone else have anymore pics, experiences, etc..?

danpass
03-03-10, 15:09
Anyone else have anymore pics, experiences, etc..?

it was too much hassle to find the 'right' sniper veil.

so I have a dark salmon (aka 'pink') piece of netting coming in that will get dyed :D

SnakeX13D
03-03-10, 18:43
I'm looking to match LWRC's Multi Regional Earth (MRE) color. Here's a few examples:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/SnakeMGS4/m6lower3.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/lwrc/lwrc_m6a2_16_mre.jpg

The idea is to end up dying Magpul XTM rail covers to end up with this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/SnakeMGS4/m6a2custom.jpg

It's a crude mockup, but you get the idea. I was going to try and have duracoat matched for it, but this is much less of a hassle and seems to yield better results in experimentation. What I need to know is:

1.) Which base color of XTM rail to start with: FDE, OD green, FOL green, or Larue's UDE (ash gray, very light, near white)

2.) What color/color mixture of RitDye to use.

You guys seem to be the experts. What do you say?

Tangotag
03-03-10, 19:06
Snake you might be able to get by with the standard FDE XTM covers my recent purchase of Magpul FDE is very close to that color.
Some FDE XTM & Pmags used to match up the A2 grips from Cavalry Arms.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/IMG_4965.jpg

SnakeX13D
03-03-10, 19:18
Snake you might be able to get by with the standard FDE XTM covers my recent purchase of Magpul FDE is very close to that color.
Some FDE XTM & Pmags used to match up the A2 grips from Cavalry Arms.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/IMG_4965.jpg

I'm not so sure about that. Everything FDE I've been seeing from Magpul has all been that same sand tan color I've grown sick of. If anything I can see starting with FDE and messing with different RitDye formulas, because I know for a fact FDE and MRE do not a match make.

akula88
03-03-10, 21:13
I hope somebody could start doing tropical jungle -- green hues. :)

dwhitehorne
03-04-10, 12:42
I hope somebody could start doing tropical jungle -- green hues. :)

How about this. :D FDE furniture on a parts gun that I was thinking about painting with the rifle. Which I still may do in a few months. Used 1/8th of a teaspoon of dark green in about 3 quarts of near boiling water. Magpul stuff was submerged about 2 minutes. I had to leave the ergo grip and rail piece in about 15-20 minutes to get any green tint to adhere to the rubber. Last photo has a FDE mag to compare. It looks more green in person than my camera will show. Maybe it is my crapy monitor also. David
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2956.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2957.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2958.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2962.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2964.jpg

SnakeX13D
03-04-10, 12:58
Looks like a lighter OD green.

That MRE color is a tough nut to crack. Kinda looks like a copper color, but there's something more to it than that.

danpass
03-04-10, 13:09
Looks like a lighter OD green.

That MRE color is a tough nut to crack. Kinda looks like a copper color, but there's something more to it than that.

the orange with a touch of brown might do it

the middle PMAG in the op is just a little bit of orange for about 6 min (FDE was the host)

eta: maybe. I was looking at the second LWRC pic in that post

SnakeX13D
03-04-10, 13:13
Hmm, check this out.

http://www.ritdye.com/Create_Custom_Color.9.lasso?-session=thisSession:4575C1E00759e39159Wyrl1519F3

Chestnut Brown and Bittersweet look close. I wanna say there's a coyote brown with a drip of OD in there.

My friend and I have a bunch of different colored XTM panels on the way in the mail. We'll break each of them in half so that we have four of each color (UDE, FDE, OD, FG) to mess around with.

ETA:

the orange with a touch of brown might do it

eta: maybe. I was looking at the second LWRC pic in that post

That's the real kick in the ass. There seems to have been variation between batches of the anodized MRE uppers/lowers/fore-ends. So I really won't know what to shoot for until next month, when LWRCi receives the next batch of MRE receivers and has pictures, or when I have MINE in hand.

This is just critical thinking/planning ahead.

till44
03-04-10, 17:13
Has anyone tried doing a digital camo pattern? Any ideas on how to do it? I priced getting a stock, grip, rail covers, and mags hydro dipped and it was expensive. $80 for a stock, $30 for a grip, and $12 for a magazine. If there is some technique to get some detail in on a digital camo, I'd give it a try.

VPAKGUNS
03-04-10, 18:18
Danpass what brand of tape did you use while dying your windowed PMAGS. i am attempting to do the same with a woodland camo design.

eternal24k
03-04-10, 18:46
Duracoat:

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_acu.html

except Duracoat wears off pretty fast

SnakeX13D
03-04-10, 18:46
Has anyone tried doing a digital camo pattern? Any ideas on how to do it? I priced getting a stock, grip, rail covers, and mags hydro dipped and it was expensive. $80 for a stock, $30 for a grip, and $12 for a magazine. If there is some technique to get some detail in on a digital camo, I'd give it a try.

Duracoat:

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_acu.html

danpass
03-04-10, 18:47
Danpass what brand of tape did you use while dying your windowed PMAGS. i am attempting to do the same with a woodland camo design.

BlueApocalypse actually :)

danpass
03-04-10, 18:50
lol, again with the timetraveling posts up there :D

SnakeX13D
03-04-10, 18:51
How the hell did....?

Anyway, I don't think Duracoat wears off that easy at all, really. Check the FAQ:

http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/index2.html

It's not exactly Krylon.

danpass
03-04-10, 18:59

I've been thinking about this since you posted.

I would get whatever tape BlueApocalypse used and put various strips on a hard surface.

I would then take a razor and cut them into various block shapes using the hard surface as my 'backing'.

I would then apply to the mag accordingly and dip the first color.

Rinse and remove the strips/squares and apply the new pattern with new, previously cut, tape and dip again.

From what I've read about the paint templates you start with the base color which I think involves the most open template and work your way smaller (which involves the template that covers the most surface, ie smaller and smaller holes).

I suppose the OD can provide a good Marpat/Woodland base and the FDE a good desert base.

SnakeX13D
03-04-10, 19:16
Here's another decent example of that MRE finish:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/156685000/156685216/pix276174750.jpg

danpass
03-04-10, 19:38
Here's another decent example of that MRE finish:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/156685000/156685216/pix276174750.jpg

I think Bittersweet, Caramel or chestnut brown might be the best options.

The important part will be figuring out which base to use (FDE, FG, etc)

SnakeX13D
03-04-10, 19:45

I think Bittersweet, Caramel or chestnut brown might be the best options.

The important part will be figuring out which base to use (FDE, FG, etc)

Heh, that's what I've been saying! But I know there's going to have to be a mixture involved. The composition of that mixture, along with the base, remains a mystery at this point until I see what the next batch of MRE turns out to look like, and also until I get my M6A2 in hand.

Thanks for the input though.

BlueApocalypse
03-04-10, 22:40

What I would suggest with my limited experiences with it:

If you want a digital pattern, start with the lightest color PMags you can get. Light Darker colors are always easier to dye than light ones. (IE: FDE, FG and Larue UDE)

The tape I bought was Duck Brand waterproof tape. It looks like it's made of foil on the top with apoxy in the middle and blue film on the bottom. Cut out your pattern and start dye from lightest color to darkest.

Post up what you get. :)

till44
03-04-10, 23:01
I've been thinking about this since you posted.

I would get whatever tape BlueApocalypse used and put various strips on a hard surface.

I would then take a razor and cut them into various block shapes using the hard surface as my 'backing'.

I would then apply to the mag accordingly and dip the first color.

Rinse and remove the strips/squares and apply the new pattern with new, previously cut, tape and dip again.

From what I've read about the paint templates you start with the base color which I think involves the most open template and work your way smaller (which involves the template that covers the most surface, ie smaller and smaller holes).

I suppose the OD can provide a good Marpat/Woodland base and the FDE a good desert base.

This was my thoughts on how to do it:

1. Make two large sheets of tape.
2. Cut out a digi-camo design and leave a decent amount space between each cutout.
3. Place #1 sticker panel on items to be dyed.
4. Using FDE parts, dip first in a light brown color, remove, and let dry.
5. Once it is dry remove the tape.

6. Place #2 sticker panel on items so holes do not line up. (as much as possible at least, some will overlap and may actually make it better)
7. Dip in darker brown dye, remove, and let dry.

Depending on how big you make the cutouts on the tape you may be able to do a third shade.

If the tape doesn't leak and allow dye under it, the majority of the stock should be the original color, with the holes allowing the darker dyes to die the stock in the exposed parts.

If I can find the time I'm going to try it on a magazine. If someone beats me to it, please post the results.

strambo
03-05-10, 03:04
Print out digital pattern on computer to trace onto tape.

Start with FDE magazine and cover what you want to remain FDE, then dip in the next darker color (let's say a light brown). Then add more tape to what you want to remain light brown...and dip in the final color (dark green, dark brown?).

That's what I came up with in my head to try when I get home, but I'm gonna go for a foliage type green (have to mix different dyes) and then a dark brown or dark green. Looking at how the stripes came out, the lines were crisp enough for it to work, there was only a little bleed through on a few. Anal retentive attention to making sure the tape is sealed should cure that?

I look forward to continued learning from you guy's trial and error before I get home!

BlueApocalypse
03-05-10, 04:35
Print out digital pattern on computer to trace onto tape.

Start with FDE magazine and cover what you want to remain FDE, then dip in the next darker color (let's say a light brown). Then add more tape to what you want to remain light brown...and dip in the final color (dark green, dark brown?).

That's what I came up with in my head to try when I get home, but I'm gonna go for a foliage type green (have to mix different dyes) and then a dark brown or dark green. Looking at how the stripes came out, the lines were crisp enough for it to work, there was only a little bleed through on a few. Anal retentive attention to making sure the tape is sealed should cure that?

I look forward to continued learning from you guy's trial and error before I get home!

Yes! Make extra sure that edges of each piece of tape are completely sealed. There's a lot of bleed through on one side of my mags where I completely forgot to press the edges down lol. :p

BlueApocalypse
03-05-10, 08:50
Well here's how my last PMag turned out:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9437/sdc10722.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6207/sdc10721r.jpg

Why red, black and green you ask? It's all I had. :P

Over all, it took about 3 hours to cut out enough tape for two layers of color, dye and re-dye and finally remove the tape and clean up. I spent a good 15 mins or so before each dip going over the entire magazine sealing off each piece of tape. There's not nearly as much bleeding on this one when compared to the first one I made.

till44
03-05-10, 10:39
Well here's how my last PMag turned out:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9437/sdc10722.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6207/sdc10721r.jpg

Why red, black and green you ask? It's all I had. :P

Over all, it took about 3 hours to cut out enough tape for two layers of color, dye and re-dye and finally remove the tape and clean up. I spent a good 15 mins or so before each dip going over the entire magazine sealing off each piece of tape. There's not nearly as much bleeding on this one when compared to the first one I made.

Looks good. How did you tape it up so that there were three distinct colors?

danpass
03-05-10, 11:07
looks great and yeah we need intermediate pics

so ....................... tape it again!

:p

strambo
03-05-10, 11:33
Great job! That's the proof of concept for a digital pattern. Those lines are sharp enough that it would work, even with some smaller pattern areas. The bleed is very minor and real hard to tell from the pics.

BlueApocalypse
03-05-10, 16:46
Alright here's the steps to making it: (Always remember that when you're covering with tape, the tape represents negative space compared to the dye. The less color you want, the more tape you have to use.)

1. Cut out enough tape pattern to cover the magazine twice.
2. Apply half of it to the magazine - make sure to press down all edges to reduce bleeding.
3. Dye the first color you want to stand "On top" and once the shade of color is where you want it - take it out, rinse it off and completely dry it. (Hair dryer worked wonders) You have to make sure there's no water hidden under any tape; It will probably cause bleeding on the next dip. Leaving the tape on for the first color will make sure all of it that's preserved by the tape will stand out on top over any other color because the shape integrity of each pattern piece was never compromised. That's how the green on mine looks like it's 'on top' though the OD green is the original color of the magazine.
4. Apply the second layer of tape to the magazine and repeat the rest of step 3.
5. Once that layer of color is where you'd like it, remove and rinse. Dry it with the hair dryer to speed things up. (Note: Don't keep a hot blast of hair on one spot for two long. When I did on my floor plate, I noticed some 'buffing' to the area that made it a little shinier than the rest)
6. When the magazine is completely dry, start removing the tape from the magazine. There will be apoxy residue left because of the tape used, so just be patient - it comes off easily, it's just a pain.

Hope this helps. :D

E-man930
03-05-10, 19:14
i love this thread... :cool:

till44
03-05-10, 19:36
Alright here's the steps to making it: (Always remember that when you're covering with tape, the tape represents negative space compared to the dye. The less color you want, the more tape you have to use.)

1. Cut out enough tape pattern to cover the magazine twice.
2. Apply half of it to the magazine - make sure to press down all edges to reduce bleeding.
3. Dye the first color you want to stand "On top" and once the shade of color is where you want it - take it out, rinse it off and completely dry it. (Hair dryer worked wonders) You have to make sure there's no water hidden under any tape; It will probably cause bleeding on the next dip. Leaving the tape on for the first color will make sure all of it that's preserved by the tape will stand out on top over any other color because the shape integrity of each pattern piece was never compromised. That's how the green on mine looks like it's 'on top' though the OD green is the original color of the magazine.
4. Apply the second layer of tape to the magazine and repeat the rest of step 3.
5. Once that layer of color is where you'd like it, remove and rinse. Dry it with the hair dryer to speed things up. (Note: Don't keep a hot blast of hair on one spot for two long. When I did on my floor plate, I noticed some 'buffing' to the area that made it a little shinier than the rest)
6. When the magazine is completely dry, start removing the tape from the magazine. There will be apoxy residue left because of the tape used, so just be patient - it comes off easily, it's just a pain.

Hope this helps. :D

So you covered the green mag with tape. Dipped it in (balck or red?) first. Dried the mag. Placed another design/layer of tape. Dipped again in (black or red?).

How was it that the second dip in the dye didn't cause problems with the first dipped color? Did it darken it, change the shade/color?

BlueApocalypse
03-05-10, 21:32
looks great and yeah we need intermediate pics

so ....................... tape it again!

:p

Have a spare Pmag? ;)

BlueApocalypse
03-05-10, 21:43
So you covered the green mag with tape. Dipped it in (balck or red?) first. Dried the mag. Placed another design/layer of tape. Dipped again in (black or red?).

How was it that the second dip in the dye didn't cause problems with the first dipped color? Did it darken it, change the shade/color?

Started off with a green Pmag.
Added the tape for the green patterns.
Dyed the mag in Red and left the green pattern tape on.
Now we have a Red Pmag with Tape on it for the green patterns.

Add on the last set of patterns and dye the Pmag black. What this does is the first set of tape will have the green pattern left under it and the second layer will have the red protected under it. Everything else that wasn't covered is turned to black.

Once the mag was completely dry you remove the tape and clean off any residue.

SnakeX13D
03-06-10, 01:34
Tonight I hit up a walmart and grabbed these colors:

Dark Green
Dark Brown
Tan
Scarlet
Golden Yellow
Sunshine Orange

The last two are to brighten up the four earth tones, and the scarlet was needed in a recipe from the rit site for another color all together.

Now, is there a place we can buy this stuff online? I didn't see cocoa brown anywhere.

ETA: Nevermind, you can order straight from the RitDye site. I grabbed Cocoa Brown, Taupe, Pearl Grey, and Tangerine.

Should make for some interesting earth tones when mixed properly.

MTguns
03-06-10, 21:25
I happened upon this thread and thought it was pretty cool. Since it is snowing again today and the range is burried I thought I would give this a try. So how did I do?
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-14.jpg
The desert one was first and I got a lot of bleed through the tape seams.
The second one is a OD MSAR mag with two shades of brown
Third is a FG Pmag with Dark Green, Brown, then Black (this was the last one i did today)
Fourth is a FG Pmag in a tiger stripe pattern Brown and black.http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-01.jpg
I used electrical tape and cut it on a scrap piece of plexiglass then used dental tools to press the tape into the corners.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/123.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-10.jpg
This one is my favorite and I think I may get a spare stock for the MSAR so much real estate is begging for a dye job.

SnakeX13D
03-06-10, 21:36
I happened upon this thread and thought it was pretty cool. Since it is snowing again today and the range is burried I thought I would give this a try.

Which dye colors did you use?

danpass
03-06-10, 21:40
That is awesome.

The woodland even looks like a factory job :)

MTguns
03-06-10, 21:53
Thanks, the woodland is a friends mag. He came over today and that is the last one we did. Very soon we will be doing his Moe Kit in the woodland. The colors were Black, Dark Green, and Dark Brown. When we do the Moe stuff we are going to use various colors of electrical tape. It was really hard to keep track of what the pattern was going to look like when placing black tape over black tape over black tape.

I used Blue Apocalypse's advice about the blow dryer. It worked well. That and a dry paper towel to press out the moisture worked the best.

Thanks to all of you above me for the advice and inspiration.

With enough plastic to mess around with one could figure out multicam. You would have to start with an UDE mag for the lightest color in that pattern.

*edit*
I suppose I should add that the brown and green were 8 cups water to 1/2 teaspoon dye. the lighter brown and green was 3 mins. the darker brown was eight mins.
For black I did 8 cups water and 1 1/4 teaspoon (no real reason for this I was just using a 1/4 tsp and put five in). black was for 3 mins as well. I really like the black as it looks right to me.

BlueApocalypse
03-06-10, 22:28
Thanks, the woodland is a friends mag. He came over today and that is the last one we did. Very soon we will be doing his Moe Kit in the woodland. The colors were Black, Dark Green, and Dark Brown. When we do the Moe stuff we are going to use various colors of electrical tape. It was really hard to keep track of what the pattern was going to look like when placing black tape over black tape over black tape.

I used Blue Apocalypse's advice about the blow dryer. It worked well. That and a dry paper towel to press out the moisture worked the best.

Thanks to all of you above me for the advice and inspiration.

With enough plastic to mess around with one could figure out multicam. You would have to start with an UDE mag for the lightest color in that pattern.

*edit*
I suppose I should add that the brown and green were 8 cups water to 1/2 teaspoon dye. the lighter brown and green was 3 mins. the darker brown was eight mins.
For black I did 8 cups water and 1 1/4 teaspoon (no real reason for this I was just using a 1/4 tsp and put five in). black was for 3 mins as well. I really like the black as it looks right to me.

Good job with your mag, experimenting is the way to go. :D

I'm currently planning out how to complete a Multicam-esqe pattern, including playing around with bleeding edges to produce the gradients found in the pattern.

BlueApocalypse
03-06-10, 22:31
You wanna play with bleeding effects huh? Take a look at the A-TACS camo pattern then. It's a step up from Multicam in my book:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/atacs-0001-1.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/atacs_pattern_420x_420-tfb.jpg

I'll leave that up to actual water dipping lol.

SnakeX13D
03-06-10, 22:31
Good job with your mag, experimenting is the way to go. :D

I'm currently planning out how to complete a Multicam-esqe pattern, including playing around with bleeding edges to produce the gradients found in the pattern.

You wanna play with bleeding effects huh? Take a look at the A-TACS camo pattern then. It's a step up from Multicam in my book:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/atacs-0001-1.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/atacs_pattern_420x_420-tfb.jpg

SnakeX13D
03-06-10, 22:40
Again with the time traveling posts.

What do you mean water dipping? Isn't that what this is?

MTguns
03-06-10, 23:09
Not really,
Think of a big Lysterin mouth strip with a camo pattern on it. the big sheet of ink/paint or whatever it is called at that point is placed on the surface of a tank of water. The water dissolves the sheet and releases the ink. As you dip the item into the water the ink is pulled onto the surface of whatever you are dipping. Check it out in youtube it is a pretty cool process. another way to do it is to float paint on the surface and alternate your colors. Swirl it a little bit then dip your item. That will get you more of a tye-dye effect.

m4fun
03-07-10, 00:19
These posts are awesome. This is great than folks actully do somtheing like this and many jump right in vertually confirming the discovery.

If I wasnt already setup in all black, I would love to try this - especially a tiger-stripe setup. Back to Viet Nam!!!

SnakeX13D
03-07-10, 00:45
Not really,
Think of a big Lysterin mouth strip with a camo pattern on it. the big sheet of ink/paint or whatever it is called at that point is placed on the surface of a tank of water. The water dissolves the sheet and releases the ink. As you dip the item into the water the ink is pulled onto the surface of whatever you are dipping. Check it out in youtube it is a pretty cool process. another way to do it is to float paint on the surface and alternate your colors. Swirl it a little bit then dip your item. That will get you more of a tye-dye effect.

So you're telling me you can't pull off A-TACS with this ritdye stuff, but you can pull things the likes of tiger stripe and multicam, where you take levels of precaution to prevent color bleeding?

BlueApocalypse
03-07-10, 00:47
These posts are awesome. This is great than folks actully do somtheing like this and many jump right in vertually confirming the discovery.

If I wasnt already setup in all black, I would love to try this - especially a tiger-stripe setup. Back to Viet Nam!!!

Get some FDE or OD Pmags and go for it man! Tiger stripes would be really easy.

BlueApocalypse
03-07-10, 01:05
So you're telling me you can't pull off A-TACS with this ritdye stuff, but you can pull things the likes of tiger stripe and multicam, where you take levels of precaution to prevent color bleeding?

I'm merely stating that replicating the A-TACS pattern would be significantly harder because if you look closely at the pattern - there's actually no bleeding of colors or gradients. It's just like any other pattern made of up flat single-color shapes except that the shapes used are extremely small in comparison to other patterns.

To cut out that many small pieces of tape AND dying for each shade of color in A-TACS (Which seems over a dozen) - All I can say is good luck.

SnakeX13D
03-07-10, 01:08
I'm merely stating that replicating the A-TACS pattern would be significantly harder because if you look closely at the pattern - there's actually no bleeding of colors or gradients. It's just like any other pattern made of up flat single-color shapes except that the shapes used are extremely small in comparison to other patterns.

To cut out that many small pieces of tape AND dying for each shade of color in A-TACS (Which seems over a dozen) - All I can say is good luck.

Oh, well, I wasn't saying it had to be exact. None of the displayed camo pattern PMAGs so far have been. But they're pretty damn close if you get the idea.

You can already see that A-TACS PMAG in the guy's ACR. It doesn't have to be a 1:1 match, but like the others, in the ballpark, you know? The bleeding of colors would make it look more convincing to boot since, unless you're looking at the A-TACS pattern in extreme scrutinizing detail, it will appear to be bled colors.

MTguns
03-07-10, 01:26
You might be able to get a bleed through if you had a type of athletic tape. Fabric I would think. Might be hard to get it to stick in the water. I have a cousin who is an athletic trainer for KU. I will give her a call and see what kinds of sweat proof tape she gets to play with.

If it has to come from a store I just might have to leave it up you you guys. I am in a remote town in Alaska. I see Anchorage every two months.

SnakeX13D
03-07-10, 01:31
You might be able to get a bleed through if you had a type of athletic tape. Fabric I would think. Might be hard to get it to stick in the water. I have a cousin who is an athletic trainer for KU. I will give her a call and see what kinds of sweat proof tape she gets to play with.

If it has to come from a store I just might have to leave it up you you guys. I am in a remote town in Alaska. I see Anchorage every two months.

What about that gause-ish medical tape? It's got a kind of burlap texture to it.

MTguns
03-07-10, 01:38
What about that gause-ish medical tape? It's got a kind of burlap texture to it.

Perhaps, I can go 'inspect' the corpman's gear. But heat and water are the two factors that will kill it.

My wife liked it so much she gave me the go ahead for a purple camo job for her. I might get her a CavArms coyote brown lower.

BlueApocalypse
03-07-10, 05:38
Ugh - I wish my local shop at UDE Pmags in stock. I'm starting to think that even figuring out how to reproduce Multicam with this process is going to cost way to much compared to buying Pmags that are Hydro-dipped with the official pattern.

Having to figure out the right color balances for each shade - what temperature and duration in the dye, etc....

$24 Official Multicam PMags
http://shop.umlautarms.com/product.sc;jsessionid=90F9B26B91BB34C8FB87F3457319625B.qscstrfrnt01?productId=293&categoryId=85

vs.

3~5 UDE Pmags to test on - $45 ~ $75
Various colors of Rit Dye - Under $10
Plenty of tape - Under $10
Gobs of time to work out correct color shades and application

For the sake of reasoning it would come to a total of just over $100 when it's all said and done (Including gas to go to the store!). For all of that you can have 4 PMags ready to go with the official pattern.

eternal24k
03-07-10, 08:35
That is awesome.

The woodland even looks like a factory job :)

agreed, I got some old flectarn templates on a mag yesterday, but got too lazy to do any dying, def some sweet patterns here.

till44
03-07-10, 15:18
Here is attempt number one. It all comes down to prep time and patience. Cutting all of the tape took the longest. The waterproof tape is tough to cut in nice shapes and is a real pain to take off. I used "Dark Brown" for the dye and started with FDE mags.

The first shade was done with a 3 cups of water and 1 tsp of dye. The second color was 3 cups of water to 3 tsp of dye. I kept ech shade in for 3 minutes.

I'll try out a few more mags to get the imperfections out and get better with the detail before moving on to the CTR, grip, and MOE forend.
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/jasontillberg/guns004.jpg
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/jasontillberg/guns003.jpg

BlueApocalypse
03-07-10, 16:23
Here is attempt number one. It all comes down to prep time and patience. Cutting all of the tape took the longest. The waterproof tape is tough to cut in nice shapes and is a real pain to take off. I used "Dark Brown" for the dye and started with FDE mags.

The first shade was done with a 3 cups of water and 1 tsp of dye. The second color was 3 cups of water to 3 tsp of dye. I kept ech shade in for 3 minutes.

I'll try out a few more mags to get the imperfections out and get better with the detail before moving on to the CTR, grip, and MOE forend.

That actually looks pretty good man for your first try and I know exactly what you mean when you say the tape is hard to cut out. Someone earlier used electrical tape which looks like it's much easier to use and remove.

SnakeX13D
03-07-10, 17:35
My friend and I both have been following this thread. Here's his first shot at red tiger stripe pmags, using scarlet colored dye and electrical tape:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4522/dsc00055we.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4778/dsc00058wc.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4283/dsc00057w.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/420/dsc00056ta.jpg

First try with the Rit Dye.. stripes could have been a bit better.. I ended up using electrical tape cut to the patterns of the tiger stripes, next time I'll have to make sure I seal it better.

BlueApocalypse
03-07-10, 17:41
I think the bleeding on the stripes make it look better.

glockeyed
03-07-10, 19:26
so you did red on a black mag!?

SnakeX13D
03-07-10, 22:41
so you did red on a black mag!?

He took an FDE mag, dyed it red, then taped where the red stripes would be, and dyed the rest black. Lift off the tape, red stripes underneath. Voila.

Dorsai
03-07-10, 23:43
MTguns,
I'll be interested to see the results if you decide to die your E4 stock. I've thought about it on my STG556. The green looks nice, but it is a brighter green than I like. Too bad there isn't a foolproof way to get that shade of FDE that looks green with green objects and brown with with brown. I'd rather my rifle was more FDE than green and had the chameleon effect.

MTguns
03-07-10, 23:45
MTguns,
I'll be interested to see the results if you decide to die your E4 stock. I've thought about it on my STG556. The green looks nice, but it is a brighter green than I like. Too bad there isn't a foolproof way to get that shade of FDE that looks green with green objects and brown with with brown. I'd rather my rifle was more FDE than green and had the chameleon effect.

I am calling Microtech in the morning to see about a spare stock. I am leary about doing it on my only stock. Pmags sure I got a few of those to play with. Do you have the amber STG mags? I am curious to know if the amber will take the dye.

Dorsai
03-08-10, 09:22
Yep, all amber. I indulged during the Ratworx Christmas sale and Christmas was good!

MTguns
03-08-10, 09:49
Did two more last night. the Pmag was FG that got this treatment
2 min Dark Green 8cups water/ 1/2 tsp dye
3 min Dark Green 8cups water/ 3/4 tsp dye
3 min Dark Brown 8 cups water/ 1/2 tsp dye
2 min Black 8 cups water/ 1 1/2 tsp dye

The MSAR mag was an OD green mag that was
3 min dark green
3 min brown
3 min black
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/untitledevent-1.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/untitledevent-2.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/untitledevent-3.jpg

RogerinTPA
03-08-10, 10:17
Very nice pattern MTguns. Your mags turned out well.:cool:

Did two more last night. the Pmag was FG that got this treatment
2 min Dark Green
3 min Dark Green
3 min Dark Brown
2 min Black

The MSAR mag was an OD green mag that was
3 min dark green
3 min brown
3 min black
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/untitledevent-1.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/untitledevent-2.jpghttp://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/untitledevent-3.jpg

Dorsai
03-08-10, 11:54
The dye possibilities really intrigue me. I'd like to do something with the green STG556 stock. I think it is light enough to dye, but I don't know if it can go in the direction I want. Glock's "green" frames are really nice. I've seen them change from green to brown dominant depending on what's around. I'm not sure what kind of dye to use to head that direction, but I think that's a lighter color. I wonder if MSAR had some scrap plastic available just for experimentation?

eternal24k
03-08-10, 13:28
Very nice pattern MTguns. Your mags turned out well.:cool:

insanely good looking

till44
03-08-10, 14:01
I like the woodland. Great job. You're just using electrical tape right?

sewvacman
03-08-10, 18:21
Has anyone who dyed a grip actually used theirs and does it bleed out onto your hand after awhile? My wife complained that she doesn't have pink furniture, wanna give it a try but don't want her hand to be pink when we are done at the range.

This is a great thread btw..

eternal24k
03-08-10, 18:24
Has anyone who dyed a grip actually used theirs and does it bleed out onto your hand after awhile? My wife complained that she doesn't have pink furniture, wanna give it a try but don't want her hand to be pink when we are done at the range.

I have experienced no bleeding with mine, i can imagine if I had Brake Clean or oil on my hands.

MTguns
03-08-10, 18:42
I like the woodland. Great job. You're just using electrical tape right?

Thanks,
Right now I am only using electrical tape. But do yourself a favor and buy the multipack of different colors. after you dipp a couple of times and you are putting your third or fourth layer of black electrical tape on it gets pretty hard to keep track of what is going to be the new color. I now have six colors of electrical tape and will be using a different color tape for each step.

I lay the tape out on a piece of plexiglass and cut the blob shapes out. I then use the leftover trimmings to add thin details to the colors. I have a bunch of used dental picks from work and I use a flat slightly rounded tip to press the tape into the corners. i do this after each step. This will press out any water that has creept in from the previous dip.

I called MSAR today and I have a new tan E4 stock on the way. So I will shortly be doing an E4 stock, Moe stock, Moe Handguard, magpul trigger guard, moe grip, magpul afg, and a magpul buis. I will post picks when that happens.

dwhitehorne
03-08-10, 19:12

I dyed my FDE ergo grip green and it hasn't bled on anything. Just normal handling so far but no issues so far. David

till44
03-08-10, 21:35
I'm interested to see how you do an entire stock. I think my biggest pot will just fit the CTR.

Does anyone know if there are any dealers selling FDE mags in bulk at a discounted price?

MTguns
03-08-10, 22:22
DSG has bulk discounts. but they start at 100 pieces. My eyes go cross at the thought of doing 100 of these.

I do have an idea for adding a identifying color to the mags. So far I have avoided doing any patterns on the top of the mags. I just don't see the point in putting the time and effort in a part that won't be seen in either my mag carriers or weapon. Also I didn't want a completely camo mag to loose out in the field.

SO...my next mags will have a 2x2 square of orange,red, or yellow at the top of the mag on both sides. That way in the gun or carrier you will not see it but on the ground it will act as a 'look at me'' flag that hopefully will allow all my mags to come home with me.

I have a large pan you would find at a banquet that I can fit across two burners on my stove and will fit the entire length and depth of my stock. I was also going to use my turkey fryer pot but I think it is just a bit short.

For those of you down south in the populated America you can try to hit a few second hand shops. you should be able to get some big pots that momma won't kill you for putting gun parts in.

Tangotag
03-08-10, 22:58
MTguns
You have raised the bar quite high. Very nice work and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

MTguns
03-09-10, 00:46
My friend and I both have been following this thread. Here's his first shot at red tiger stripe pmags, using scarlet colored dye and electrical tape:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4522/dsc00055we.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4778/dsc00058wc.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4283/dsc00057w.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/420/dsc00056ta.jpg

If you like the bleed through on the tiger stripe pattern I would think it would be pretty easy to force it with electrical tape.

Lay the tape down in your stripes and push the ends to the center to make slack. draw your slack together to make lines of different shapes and BAM! you have purpose built bleed through. I think that would add a lot to a tiger stripe pattern.

My attempt at tiger stripe looks more like tree bark to me.

MTguns
03-09-10, 00:47
And a few more pics just for good measure.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-5.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-4.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-3.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/LastImport-2.jpg

OhThatGuy
03-09-10, 02:05
So, could you pop an entire FDE SCAR lower or stock into a pot and get them dyed black using this method?
http://i49.tinypic.com/9blyqa.gif

Solidius
03-09-10, 09:27
This was my Saturday project. Using the dye method I mixed 1/2 tsp navy and 1/2 tsp black to get dark grey. I did fde for 10 to 12 seconds to get the fde to a dark FDE, and then taped up a blocky digital pattern and did it for another 60 second or so. The results:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4414859202_21eec014eb_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4414877184_8463f44836_b.jpg
sorry for the iPhone pics the wife left the good camera at work.

Will update with better pics

michschi
03-09-10, 09:33
I like it, Keep it simple!

MTguns
03-09-10, 09:41
Looks good with the XTM panels. Good color choices.

danpass
03-09-10, 09:54
This was my Saturday project. Using the dye method I mixed 1/2 tsp navy and 1/2 tsp black to get dark grey. I did fde for 10 to 12 seconds to get the fde to a dark FDE, and then taped up a blocky digital pattern and did it for another 60 second or so. The results:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4414859202_21eec014eb_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4414877184_8463f44836_b.jpg
sorry for the iPhone pics the wife left the good camera at work.

Will update with better pics

very nice.

now you just need to do the Surefire G2 :D

eternal24k
03-09-10, 10:08
So, could you pop an entire FDE SCAR lower or stock into a pot and get them dyed black using this method?
http://i49.tinypic.com/9blyqa.gif

Yep,
a lot of people used to do HK conversions with black dye

Solidius
03-09-10, 10:28
very nice.

now you just need to do the Surefire G2 :D

I am going to give it a try. Warning for some reason the AFG dyed much quicker than the mags etc. about 12 seconds and it was dark gray.

strambo
03-10-10, 01:49
Nice job Solidius! Looks like something that should be carried by Ze Germans. I like the matching XTMs...very cool.

I'm running my light with the same mount above my AFG...I like it.

MTguns
03-11-10, 23:59
Just an update.... I did two more of my MSAR mags in the same woodland pattern. I left a 2x2 square on the top of each side of the mags. I then dyed just the tops in Scarlet Red. The idea being it would be easier to see on the ground. Well the red is just not bright enough. I will have to get sunshine orange and yellow next week when I drive to Anchorage. For now I have a couple of vinyl stickers I can put on as stencils and re-dye the tops black.

I have defiantly decided to go with the woodland on my stock. I have purchased a tan E4 stock from Microtech and my buddy purchased a AFG, trigger guard, and ladder rail covers in FG. For his rifle I am going to do the Moe handguards, stock, and grip. The MBUIS, Ladder rail covers, and AFG. He also has another FG Pmag.

I got to thinking also. We are going to have our local FNRA banquet dinner in a month. I am thinking of dyeing another Moe handguard, stock and grip and donating it for the auction. In your opinions would that be something that people would want? I am not interested in selling anything just donating. I like the idea of turning 100 dollars into a bigger donation. I know I would spend at least 100 that night anyways. So what are your thoughts?

danpass
03-12-10, 00:07
I think a donation setup would be very cool

LonghunterCO
03-12-10, 08:03
Has anyone tried a regular handguard set with this?

till44
03-12-10, 15:00
I think a donation setup would be very cool

I agree. Most people will have no idea how you got the custom colors and I'm sure a unique item like that would be wanted by a lot pf people.

What color are you going to do? Or what pattern?

MTguns
03-12-10, 18:59
I am thinking of doing the woodland. I ordered a FDE Moe set from DSGarms for the donation. I have two FDE pmags I will play with this weekend. I am also going to do a FG Moe set this weekend for a friend. So I should have pictures and a better idea of what I am going to do by Sunday.

MTguns
03-13-10, 22:58
Friend's Bushmaster M4-gery. He still has a trigger guard, AFG, and Ladder Rail covers coming in. It took us seven hours but we got it done.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-02.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-07.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-08.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-19.jpg

LonghunterCO
03-13-10, 23:20
[QUOTE=MTguns;599808]Friend's Bushmaster M4-gery. He still has a trigger guard, AFG, and Ladder Rail covers coming in. It took us seven hours but we got it done.
QUOTE]

:eek: That is amazing! Great job.

Whootsinator
03-14-10, 04:12
Daaaaaaamn....

Lots of awesome in this thread.

akula88
03-14-10, 08:50
I got lost in reading the thread... :)

I'd like to confirm if there is NO need to cover the windows of the PMAG.

Also -- anyone has formula to approach the Dark Earth color of Daniel Defense rails.

BlueApocalypse
03-14-10, 09:09
That's really ****ing cool MTguns. :cool:

till44
03-14-10, 15:42
MTguns- looks awesome. I have a set of digital camo stencils coming that I'll be trying out, hopefully it turns out as well as yours.

How did you make sure that the seems of the tape were sealed on the grip? That has to be tough to get right.

MTguns
03-14-10, 17:21
MTguns- looks awesome. I have a set of digital camo stencils coming that I'll be trying out, hopefully it turns out as well as yours.

How did you make sure that the seems of the tape were sealed on the grip? That has to be tough to get right.

I tried a new tape with poor results. My first layer was with "waterproof" medical tape. It looked really promising but turned out sour. So after the first dip I removed it and went back to black electrical tape. My different colors of electrical tape were a bust too. So the whole thing was done in black electrical tape. here is a close up of the grip for you. There is quite a bit of bleeding so the lines are blurry. [EDITED TO ADD I heated up the tape with a blowdryer then pressed the warm tape down into the grip as well as I could before I put it in the water.]
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-11.jpg

I also put in a corporate logo into the camo. The guy I did this with, his father owns Gun for Hire in NJ. part of his logo is on the buttstock.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-18.jpg

michschi
03-14-10, 21:55
Now that turned out awesome!

danpass
03-14-10, 22:00
Amazing woodland :D

MTguns
03-16-10, 09:47
Have any of you had any success putting dye on top of duracoat?

Till44, did you order the digi templates from Bulldog?

till44
03-16-10, 10:56
No, my mom runs a small custom sign company and has a vinyl cutting machine. She is going to have some patterns cut and sent to me.

MTguns
03-16-10, 15:00
No, my mom runs a small custom sign company and has a vinyl cutting machine. She is going to have some patterns cut and sent to me.

Thats the ticket. I remember back in early 2000-ish I had a guy I played paintball with that did vinyl signs. He cut some custom designs for his paintball guns.

I am working on a desert digi just using the electrical tape. I want to include a subdued American flag into the design. I was having trouble thinking of how to make the stars. I do believe I have it. I am going to try it out on a mag cap. It involves using clear nail polish to protect the plastic from the dye. Then removing the nail polish.

till44
03-16-10, 15:19
The fingernail polish is a great idea. You could use masking tape then to make a pattern (masking tape is so much easier to cut), place the tape on, apply fingernail polish, remove tape and then dye. Let us know how it goes.

MTguns
03-17-10, 00:43
The nail polish is a go. I painted a section of a mag cover with red nail polish and used a pick to place dots of polish on as well. After letting it dry and hitting it with a blow dryer just for kicks, I dyed it brown. After the first dip I removed some of the dots. It worked perfectly. A second dip and I removed the other dots and the painted section. I used regular acetone to remove the polish. I did it on a FG cap. I think either the nail polish or the acetone caused the FG to lighten up.

So now my practice digi mag is setting out letting the stars dry in the flag. I am going to do the first dip after work tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

MTguns
03-18-10, 03:55
Note to self and others if you use nail polish take the time to find clear. I have a very nasty pink haze on the flag.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/04.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/15.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/14.jpghttp://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/17.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/RockRiverWithPmag.jpg

WILDMAN442
03-20-10, 23:42
This thread is EPIC!!

Just picked up 3 more PMAGS so now I just got to get some dye and give this a shot

Till44

Did you get those templates yet? I would love to see the new product!

Justin

michschi
03-21-10, 02:12
MT that looks amazing!

akula88
03-21-10, 03:51
I tried doing the Ergo ladder rail covers for about 10 minutes, but dye won't penetrate.
:(

MTguns
03-21-10, 11:47
I tried doing the Ergo ladder rail covers for about 10 minutes, but dye won't penetrate.

Can you post details on how you tried. Temp, ratio dye to water, any prep?

LonghunterCO
03-21-10, 13:23
Some one dunk a regular set of handguands. Please?

Lee Indy
03-21-10, 13:56
to bad i bought all black gear already. stuck with krylon

dwhitehorne
03-21-10, 14:05

I left my FDE ergo grip and rail cover in for at least 30 minutes to get them to take a shade of green. Everything was FDE. First pic doesn't really show the rail cover very good. The second pic of the grip shows the green better. The rail cover is the same. David

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2956.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2958.jpg

glockeyed
03-21-10, 16:09
well i did a ratio after my test and it got darker. so i ended up way darker than i wanted. I thought i would be safe going with pearl gray since it looks like FG anyway. goal was a dark gray.
this is all foliage green
tested 1 teaspoon 5 cups of water for 5 min
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_1.jpg

then i moved to 2 teaspoons 10 cups of water for 5 min
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_2.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_3.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_4.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_5.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_6.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_7.jpg

really it ends up a dark blue green depending on the light. at first glance its black.

happy dying!

USAGOLD
03-21-10, 16:45
Some really great ideas, may have to try some for my self

MTguns
03-22-10, 00:13
Some one dunk a regular set of handguands. Please?

If by regular you mean black than that is no dice. You can only dye darker, and black is already pretty dark.

However if you want 'regular' round handgaurds you can give Cav Arms a call and get a set of these....http://www.cavalryarms.com/FGDE.html

WILDMAN442
03-22-10, 12:35
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-19.jpg[/QUOTE]

I would love to see how this got taped up....

I thought that it would be to difficult to to the rear sight... But evidence wouldsuggest otherwise!!!

Justin

glockeyed
03-22-10, 14:00
half way into it, i flipped the sight up so the dye could get into the lock notches.

nolacopusmc
03-22-10, 14:03
Note to self and others if you use nail polish take the time to find clear. I have a very nasty pink haze on the flag.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/04.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/15.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/14.jpghttp://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/17.jpg
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/RockRiverWithPmag.jpg

Is that tape a kit or did you just cut it out yourself?

That had to take hours.

Stevieterry
03-22-10, 15:31
Could you do this to Stocks and other stuff?

glockeyed
03-22-10, 16:13
yup!

this was all foliage green

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdye_6.jpg

WILDMAN442
03-22-10, 19:20
Okay so I just picked up some Liquid Rit Dye and I am going to give this a shot on my PMAgs....

My question is, are the portions different than those who are using powder or should I use the same amount? I am going to test on my Covers first to get the color right.

Thanks guys!

Justin

glockeyed
03-22-10, 20:00
Justin,
i think they are different. i would go more by the look of the water than measurement.

i did an interesting experiment. i didn't think it would do anything, or i would have better directions... but 10+ cups of hot water and 1/2 a cup of bleach will remove a lot of the dye. this was only 4mins

1. Foliage Green
2. Dyed FG mag
3. Dyed, then bleached mag

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/projects/ritdyed.jpg

MTguns
03-22-10, 21:55
Is that tape a kit or did you just cut it out yourself?

That had to take hours.

I just used electrical tape. I made a few stencils from graph paper then transfered them to card stock. I put the tape on a piece of plexiglass to cut it out. On the back of the plexiglass I put a sheet of graph paper for reference lines. I layed the tape out straight then put the stencil over it and cut out my shapes. I was able to get several different shapes out of only two stencils by using the reverse image of the stencil and the leftover tape as well. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/03.jpg

I did the one mag as a test to see if I could do the pattern. There are several things I am going to change.
1. I am going to use smaller graph paper. I had 'quad ruled' paper (four squares per inch) and I think the pattern is too large. I have now purchased a smaller five squares per inch paper.
2. I need to incorporate more half and quarter size thickness pieces. I think they will add more 'interest' to the design. Looking at a 5.11 vest I have in desert I see a lot of this.
3. I found higher quality colored electrical tape. before I had a basic NAPA six pack of colors. That tape failed miserably. Tonight I bought three colors of Scotch brand professional grade tape. I will see how it goes when i get back from TDY. If it holds in the water I will use one color for each layer of the design. That should make it easier for me.

In other news looking at how I did the Moe grip, I think I may have found another way to put designs on the textured parts. My tape allowed quite a bit of fuzzy lines making it look muddy. What about using Hot Glue to mask with? If the part is warmed up with a hair dryer before the glue is put on I think it would really take to texture well. Also, I have had to clean up regular Elmer's glue from my daughter a time or two. Dried Elmer's comes of pretty well and I know it will survive a cycle in the dishwasher so a hot water bath should be okay. This may be another solution for getting crisp lines on a textured surface.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-11.jpg

akula88
03-27-10, 04:44
My digital tropical 3-color camo. I'm still not convince to add black on the set-up. Still a work in progress.

After two weeks of testing with the dye that's only available in my side of town, here is what I come up with :

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/akula_88/long/IMG_3335.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/akula_88/long/IMG_3338_7.jpg

Lighting on camera is affecting displayed hue, but it is green.

Since I only have dark green available, I tried to temper the color with yellow. My 'Green' is 1 gram yellow and 0.50g green on 400 ml water. My 'brown' is 1 gram Orange and 0.2g brown on 400 ml water.

Dipping time was 3 minutes per color. Masking actually took up a lot of time. Usually 90% of the process. To remove the gunk from the electrical tape, kerosene is first brushed, and later with detergent.

Falcon ergo ladder grip are no go with my die, so I'll stick with black.

Next test would be my Tango Down grip and Vltor Mod Stock.

Moose-Knuckle
03-27-10, 07:04
My digital tropical 3-color camo. I'm still not convince to add black on the set-up. Still a work in progress.

After two weeks of testing with the dye that's only available in my side of town, here is what I come up with :

Since I only have dark green available, I tried to temper the color with yellow. My 'Green' is 1 gram yellow and 0.50g green on 400 ml water. My 'brown' is 1 gram Orange and 0.2g brown on 400 ml water.

Dipping time was 3 minutes per color. Masking actually took up a lot of time. Usually 90% of the process. To remove the gunk from the electrical tape, kerosene is first brushed, and later with detergent.

Outstanding! Those look like they came from a custom shop.

danpass
03-27-10, 12:24

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v1/p1035520857-3.jpg

michschi
03-27-10, 14:00
http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v1/p1035520857-3.jpg

It is gorgeous!

MTguns
03-27-10, 14:21
Very nice indeed. I think the size of your digital blocks is the right scale for your items. I am looking forward to seeing your stock and grip.

WILDMAN442
03-29-10, 12:38
Does the water need to remain boiling or near that? Or can I turn off the heat once it gets to the optimal point to dip the parts?

Anyone else have any new updates?

Justin

glockeyed
03-29-10, 14:01
Does the water need to remain boiling or near that? Or can I turn off the heat once it gets to the optimal point to dip the parts?

Anyone else have any new updates?

Justin

what i did was get the pot to a boil, then turn it off and dip for 5 min.

WILDMAN442
03-29-10, 16:57
Awesome that was my main concern. I will be doing these up in the next couple days for sure!!!!

THanks guys

Justin

WILDMAN442
03-30-10, 23:40
So here are my results...

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2205.jpg
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2201.jpg

I am more proud of the 30 rounder...

Opinions anyone?

Justin

michschi
03-30-10, 23:43
So here are my results...

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2205.jpg
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2201.jpg

I am more proud of the 30 rounder...

Opinions anyone?

Justin

Looks good, what happened to the window!

m4fun
03-30-10, 23:48
Very Very nice - but why is the window rustic?

dtibbals
03-30-10, 23:50
people use the same process to make an HK USC etc black from its original grey color. Seems to work very very well.

WILDMAN442
03-31-10, 00:01
Yes the window got some custom tinting by me!!!

Next time I guess I can tape up the windows on the inside!

Justin

MTguns
03-31-10, 01:50
Why did your windows get tinted? I think yours are the first that has happened to. What was your process?

orionz06
03-31-10, 05:49
Hot glue has been used with success on other items for this method of dying. It allows for very crisp lines and easy removal.

eternal24k
03-31-10, 08:04
Why did your windows get tinted? I think yours are the first that has happened to. What was your process?

I too am interested in the process

glockeyed
03-31-10, 08:31
difference between powder and liquid?

WILDMAN442
03-31-10, 10:27
I did use the liquid dye. That may have been one of the main reasons why my windows are now brown. Its not a huge deal to me because my mag blocks are going in later this week and will hide the window so to speak.

Here is a link to my write up over on calguns

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=285466

Thanks guys!

MTguns
03-31-10, 12:54
Interesting, I would have figured that a higher heat and longer duration would have led to the tinting of the clear plastic. But you took the water completely off the stove to do your dip. I would expect your temp to drop rather quickly during your five minutes. I have done some other digging and found painballers who were dyeing clear plastic hoppers on their guns. They seemed to use more dye (entire dry packets) and longer dip times 15+ minutes. In the pictures I saw the hoppers ended up still being see through but also significantly tinted.

In other news I started the digital MOE furniture set for the the Valdez Friends of the NRA banquet last night. I will post pictures when they are complete.

WILDMAN442
03-31-10, 16:09
I think that the liquid just had a greater effect on the clear plastic

Its all good, I am taping up the windows on my next set of Pmags and hopefully that will do the trick.

Justin

eternal24k
03-31-10, 20:42
interesting, I have never had a problem with liquid RIT

WILDMAN442
03-31-10, 23:09
Hmmm, Maybe it was just a bad window? unlikely but its not going to bother me a whole lot.

Will have some more photos later of mags done today

Justin

Col_Crocs
04-01-10, 03:28
Anyone ever attempt to replicate the multicam pattern? Im a bit unsure if the very light tan spots are possible to do with bleach but everything else I suppose can be done... Im particularly interested in the greenish tan base color. :D

WILDMAN442
04-01-10, 11:00
Decided to go mad scientist and stay up late and dye the rest of my mags

Sparkie decided to stay up wit me as well!
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2210.jpg

And here is how my project turned out

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2211.jpg
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/wildman442/Pmag%20Project/IMG_2212.jpg

I think I would like to do my MOE handguard next. Although I have a Psych interview tomorrow for the PD I start with on the 19th so well see about that.

Justin

MTguns
04-02-10, 07:00
Stayed up all night and completed the desert digital stock set.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-57.jpg
First step Blue tape covers the FDE
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-43.jpg
Second step Green tape
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-45.jpg
Third step White tape
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-46.jpg
After the reveal
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-48.jpg
Total time on this project was about 12 hours. I am not happy with the buttstock as it is noticeably darker. There is no replacement for attention to detail when dyeing.