PDA

View Full Version : I love SKD tac!

michschi
02-22-10, 12:19
Just a little shout out to SKD tac. Their service is so quick, and flat 5 buck shipping. I placed my order last night and midnight and it has already shipped. Up to date stock, and if they sell it I always look there first before I get it anywhere else!

+1 for SKD

Belmont31R
02-22-10, 13:18
I stopped being a customer of theirs when they failed to secure their website, and my account was taken for over 3k dollars while I was in Iraq.

michschi
02-22-10, 13:29
I stopped being a customer of theirs when they failed to secure their website, and my account was taken for over 3k dollars while I was in Iraq.

Really, when was that? An thanks for ur service

Skyyr
02-22-10, 13:43

Thank you for your service. I do have a question for you, however, as I actually freelance as a web developer on the side and work on-call IT as well.

How do you know it was their site? And where did you place the order from (physically, where were you?). I'm not doubting your story, but I just checked their protocol and they use a secure socket layer, so I'm just curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

Belmont31R
02-22-10, 13:58
Thank you for your service. I do have a question for you, however, as I actually freelance as a web developer on the side and work on-call IT as well.

How do you know it was their site? And where did you place the order from (physically, where were you?). I'm not doubting your story, but I just checked their protocol and they use a secure socket layer, so I'm just curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

This was a few years ago on their old website.

I know it was them because a lot of other people's account information was hacked as well at the same time, and SKD admitted they had a problem with their site. Because of the hack they upgraded to what you see now. There was a lot of info about it on TOS when it happened.

Denny's/GTS is another retailer that had their website hacked, and people's accounts drained of thousands.

Thanks for the thanks above but Im no longer active duty, and was just a pogue.

Skyyr
02-22-10, 14:05
This was a few years ago on their old website.

I know it was them because a lot of other people's account information was hacked as well at the same time, and SKD admitted they had a problem with their site. Because of the hack they upgraded to what you see now. There was a lot of info about it on TOS when it happened.

Denny's/GTS is another retailer that had their website hacked, and people's accounts drained of thousands.

Thanks for the thanks above but Im no longer active duty, and was just a pogue.

Gotcha. Sounds like a compromised (and probably unencrypted) customer database, especially since other customers were affected as well. That was my first guess, anyway. Just thought I'd ask... thanks =)

C4IGrant
02-22-10, 14:35

This happened to Denny at GTS as well. A hacker broke into their systems and got a bunch of folks CC #'s.

C4

Alric
02-22-10, 14:39
I thought the merchant that Denny's/GTS used for CC processing was the one that got compromised in that case, and lots of people (in addition to GTS customers) were affected?

I was among that crowd :(

Skyyr
02-22-10, 14:44
I thought the merchant that Denny's/GTS used for CC processing was the one that got compromised in that case, and lots of people (in addition to GTS customers) were affected?

I was among that crowd :(

Obviously I'm just speculating, but from what's been said here, it sounds like a 3rd party shopping cart/online software packagewas being used that stored the credit card numbers, either without encryption or with very basic encryption. This is quite common, unfortunately, and once your username and password have been cracked or someone gains access through a SQL injection, it only takes seconds for someone to download your entire database. Even if you find out after the fact, once they've gained access to your database, you're screwed.

ToddG
02-22-10, 15:14
The SKD cc# thing was the result of a 3rd party company getting hacked. Blaming SKD makes as little sense as blaming the credit card company. Welcome to the Digital Age. If you don't have a credit card with online buyer protection, shame on you.

Belmont31R
02-22-10, 15:28
The SKD cc# thing was the result of a 3rd party company getting hacked. Blaming SKD makes as little sense as blaming the credit card company. Welcome to the Digital Age. If you don't have a credit card with online buyer protection, shame on you.

They chose to use said company, and are responsible for what happened to their customers.

I did get all my money back but it was a huge hassle dealing with it under the circumstances.

ToddG
02-22-10, 15:42
They chose to use said company, and are responsible for what happened to their customers.

In what way did SKD fail to take its share of responsibility?

What could SKD have done better beyond using a crystal ball to know that one cc processing company as opposed to another would get hacked?

My company uses two different credit card processing systems for various activities. I have no -- absolutely ZERO -- control over their servers or how they protect them. They don't send me a questionnaire asking my opinion on the latest anti-hacking technologies. Beyond using reputable companies with a history of being safe and dealing with fraud promptly & fully, I'm not quite sure what else I can do. Stop taking credit cards, I suppose...

I can only imagine the tremendous grief this caused someone serving OCONUS, but misdirecting one's anger over it is just cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Belmont31R
02-22-10, 16:22
In what way did SKD fail to take its share of responsibility?

What could SKD have done better beyond using a crystal ball to know that one cc processing company as opposed to another would get hacked?

My company uses two different credit card processing systems for various activities. I have no -- absolutely ZERO -- control over their servers or how they protect them. They don't send me a questionnaire asking my opinion on the latest anti-hacking technologies. Beyond using reputable companies with a history of being safe and dealing with fraud promptly & fully, I'm not quite sure what else I can do. Stop taking credit cards, I suppose...

I can only imagine the tremendous grief this caused someone serving OCONUS, but misdirecting one's anger over it is just cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

All I said was they chose to use the company, and are thus responsible for what happens to their customers.

Just like walking into a store. The store is responsible if something happens to their customers in their store. Passing the blame off onto a 3rd party doesn't work. Like if soap spills on the aisle at Walmart, and I slip and fall its still Walmarts responsibility even though they didn't install the tile floor or spill the soap.

I didn't say anything about them knowingly using a company that was using less than secure servers or intentionally causing their customers accounts to get hacked. I also didn't say anything about them being a bad company. I just choose not to do business with them based on past experiences and the headache that was caused based on their choices. Somehow shortly after this they managed to find a company to process CC #'s that didn't put their customers accounts in jeopardy, and have not had an issue since.

I also do not shop at online stores that do not have active inventory available for their customers to see, and I really hate getting charged money for out of stock items which if I'm not mistaken is against Federal law unless its like a custom item or you are putting a deposit down on something.

michschi
02-22-10, 16:37
WOW! This had taken a spin! lol

Pappabear
02-22-10, 17:45
I bought some Warrens sights from them. The front was not a night sight, I realized after I put it on. And I ordered a night sight? They said, ship it, we"ll replace. Thats all you can ask. I am sure I will get my replacement soon. Then I'll take that and my "Polished sear" and my M&P40 will be GTG, I expect.

GLOCKMASTER
02-22-10, 18:52
I also placed a nice size Eagle Ind. order with them last night and received shipment notification early this morning. I have shopped with them several times over the years and will continue to use them in the future.