PDA

View Full Version : Bloom Box Can Supposedly Power A Small Home, But You Can't Afford It

ZDL
02-22-10, 13:42

Spiffums
02-22-10, 15:01
Get one solar powered and its every prepper's wet and wild dream.

rickrock305
02-22-10, 15:04
its like any new technology. the price will drop in a couple years and be affordable.

mr_smiles
02-22-10, 15:16
It's BS, sound like a bunch of hype. It's the next segway.

xfyrfiter
02-22-10, 15:20
A great idea whose time is near, if the govt. will keep their noses out, and the cost can be kept down.

balletto
02-22-10, 15:26
...it's natural gas that's powering the buildings, the 'bloom box' is a fuel cell that's "burning" the gas, and creating electricity.

Volucris
02-22-10, 16:28
Government will win the hearts of the already established power industry and shoot this down with taxes and regulatory measures.

Same shit with batteries. They have the technology to make incredibly long lasting batteries but refuse to because there's less money in that route. It's all about making a commodity that resembles toilet paper more than anything else.

Hell, why do you think we don't have diesel cars in America like there are in Europe? Diesel is still cheap but gasoline makers don't want people getting good fuel efficiency with diesel. So the government regulates diesel cars in America with an iron fist and makes it damned near impossible to import one.

Lesson learned: the government doesn't give a flying shit about you. It's all about the money in their pockets.

Heavy Metal
02-22-10, 16:46
...it's natural gas that's powering the buildings, the 'bloom box' is a fuel cell that's "burning" the gas, and creating electricity.

With a very high conversion efficiency. No adibatic losses in a fuel cell. It isn't buring as much as it is reacting.

This ain't no segway.

skyugo
02-22-10, 17:50
With a very high conversion efficiency. No adibatic losses in a fuel cell. It isn't buring as much as it is reacting.

This ain't no segway.

not to mention you lose something like 40% of power just transmitting it to location. if you can make it on the spot at 75% of the efficiency of a power plant you're waaay ahead.
sounds like this thing is much better efficiency than that.

we're kinda due for an energy breakthrough... let's see if this little thing lives up to the hype.

Volucris
02-22-10, 17:59
Cheap, efficient, renewable energy...sounds familiar now that I think of it. Oh yes:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1z6xdkw.jpg

Heavy Metal
02-22-10, 18:01
not to mention you lose something like 40% of power just transmitting it to location. if you can make it on the spot at 75% of the efficiency of a power plant you're waaay ahead.
sounds like this thing is much better efficiency than that.

we're kinda due for an energy breakthrough... let's see if this little thing lives up to the hype.

Fuel cells would be higher efficiency than even a power plant. They are aroudn 80% efficient IIRC.

Of course, you have to consider leaks in the natural gas transmission system too.

Zhurdan
02-22-10, 18:12
Fuel cells would be higher efficiency than even a power plant. They are aroudn 80% efficient IIRC.

Of course, you have to consider leaks in the natural gas transmission system too.

Don't we already have that concern? Hell, I have a 3' meter sitting on the side of my house with no bollards protecting it. What in the world were they thinking with this whole Natural Gas craziness? ;) (jk)

skyugo
02-22-10, 21:05

true... though the energy loss in natural gas leakage is probably under 10%....

they could probably run these things on hydrogen (which of course would have to be produced by a power supply centrally... so maybe this wouldn't help anything)

biofuel seems real doable too.

i dunno this stuff is exciting... given the amount of money that's in it for whoever gets something like this rolling, we don't need government interference <cough>ethanol<cough>cornlobby<cough>

chadbag
02-22-10, 22:01
they could probably run these things on hydrogen (which of course would have to be produced by a power supply centrally... so maybe this wouldn't help anything)

biofuel seems real doable too.

My neighbor is involved with some nano particle stuff making hydrogen and while not terribly efficient in terms of how much hydrogen they produce, it does not matter since it is more than they need for the fuel cells. I know that sounds weird but I am not the scientist guy. He was trying to explain it to me last Fall...

Their application was to make hydrogen in your car from water and not having to go to a hydrogen fuel station.