PDA

View Full Version : E mag in standard AR?????

Dos Cylindros
02-22-10, 15:50
Anyone running the E mags is a standard AR? I know they are supposed to be 100% compatable with standard AR platform, so I was curious if anyone has used them for serious use. How was the reliability. I ask, because I came into four of them really cheap and they seem slightly "wiggly" in my lower. Have not had a chance to take them to the range, but the function checked with dummy rounds just fine.

I searched and could not find any threads regarding thier reliability in standard AR platforms, so I was just curious. I know the front "lip" is cut a bit lower for use in non-standard AR's which I am sure accounts for the slighty loose feel when seated in the lower.

Bantee
02-22-10, 15:56
I am of the impression, that as a "last ditch" an E-mag can be used to feed the AR though not recommended, as the loose fit could cause the mag to be over inserted, making the weapon malfunction. Hope that helped.

Belmont31R
02-22-10, 16:12
I am of the impression, that as a "last ditch" an E-mag can be used to feed the AR though not recommended, as the loose fit could cause the mag to be over inserted, making the weapon malfunction. Hope that helped.

Magpul said that only applied to the first generation/prototype emags. They also said Magpul Dynamics has been using them extensively in AR's, and they are GTG.

The production versions work in an AR. I have 8 of them, and use them regularly without a single issue in various AR's.

steve-oh
02-22-10, 16:12
I've been using Emags in my M4 with no ill effects. Normal GI mags don't have the lip, and they seem to work fine... You'd have to really be spanking the magazine to over insert methinks.

Bantee
02-22-10, 16:15
I stand corrected, thanks guys.:o

rob_s
02-22-10, 16:57
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/tacticalyellowvisor/2009%20EAG%20Carbine/robeag.jpg

Dos Cylindros
02-22-10, 19:30
Thanks for the info. I suspected they were GTG and I didn't think the lip would be a big problem, as previously stated, the GI mags don't have them. I got them brand new for 9.95 so I picked up a few as I like the way they look. I have plenty of pmags, but it's nice to know I can use these for serious purposes (once tested that is).

Rob; is that one of youre painted up emags?

rob_s
02-22-10, 20:15
Yes, I had some Alumahyde come in that wasn't the color I wanted to I sprayed a couple of Emags.

Dos Cylindros
02-23-10, 09:27
Yes, I had some Alumahyde come in that wasn't the color I wanted to I sprayed a couple of Emags.

Cool, I might take a look into doing that.