PDA

View Full Version : Surefire FH556-212A - Effectiveness as a flash hider?

theoak
02-22-10, 23:03
How effective is the Surefire FH556-212A as a flash hider compared to the AAC Blackout? (just as a flash hider, w/o attached suppressor)

I was going with a Surefire however a couple of manufacturers said that more customers are choosing AAC over the Surefire.

Robb Jensen
02-23-10, 06:07
How effective is the Surefire FH556-212A as a flash hider compared to the AAI Blackout? (just as a flash hider, w/o attached suppressor)

I was going with a Surefire however a couple of manufacturers said that more customers are choosing AAI over the Surefire.

I find the Surefire about equal to a YHM Phantom. Not quite as good as a Blackout or Vortex but very good none the less.

theoak
02-23-10, 08:06
The FH556-212A seems like a good option with the addition of the "Mini" suppressor.

I thought it was interesting when I called a manufacturer and they said more people are going with the AAC Blackout than the Surefire.

Is the AAC Blackout closer to a Smith Vortex whereas the Surefire FH556-212A is closer to an A2 birdcage in terms of its ability as a flash hider?

C4IGrant
02-23-10, 10:08
I find the Surefire about equal to a YHM Phantom. Not quite as good as a Blackout or Vortex but very good none the less.

Agree.

C4

SinnFéinM1911
02-23-10, 10:09
[QUOTE=theoak;580624]The
I thought it was interesting when I called a manufacturer and they said more people are going with the AAC Blackout than the Surefire.
QUOTE]

Im sorry, just to clarify, you called who and they said what? (which manufacturer?)

C4IGrant
02-23-10, 10:21
The FH556-212A seems like a good option with the addition of the "Mini" suppressor.

Is the AAC Blackout closer to a Smith Vortex whereas the Surefire FH556-212A is closer to an A2 birdcage in terms of its ability as a flash hider?

The reason for that is most likely because the Blackout is cheaper than the SF 212A. Let us also remember that the SF is an actual adaptor. The blackout is not. So if you are going to install a can on your gun, you have to use something that will work with your can.

The 212A is a better FS than an A2 and is very close in capability to a Vortex/Blackout.

C4

Rated21R
02-23-10, 11:15
couldn't you just run a blackout with the teeth and then have the ability to add a can?

C4IGrant
02-23-10, 12:28
couldn't you just run a blackout with the teeth and then have the ability to add a can?

Yes, but that is a more expensive model and then you get into a question of which one better.

C4

Rated21R
02-23-10, 12:36
You are correct Sir. I for one would trust you and which you recommended.

Aggie510
02-23-10, 13:40
What better way to compare flash hiding ability than by watching a video?

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnmn4wZFXs) is one comparing the PWS FSC556, the SureFire FH556, and the standard A2 birdcage.

There are hundreds of other videos on YouTube you can take a look at, too.

theoak
02-23-10, 18:32
Thanks for the link to the video. I should have thought to check Youtube.

I don't want to name to manufacturer because I don't want to imply that they are endorsing a particular flash hider. They just told me that the AAC Blackout adaptor sells well. If you check some manufacturers websites you'll see that the AAC adaptors are out of stock while the Surefire adaptors are in.

I personally like how the Surefire FH556-212A looks as well as the size of the Surefire "Mini" suppressor. I just wasn't sure how the FH556-212A performed as a flash hider.

Another good video, although the Surefire is absent. It's amazing how effective the Smith Vortex is, although the Phantom wasn't bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-4hlP5oz_o