PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my rifle

infiniti0505
02-22-10, 23:29
I have a DPMS AR and now I'm completely addicted to adding new parts/accessory's. I currently have: Tango Down Battle Grip, Knight Quad rail, MI flip up sights (I have the front one also), and just ordered the Tango Down Quick detach fore grip. Now I want to start doing internals also, but I don't know where to start. I want to build this rifle right and into a pure beast :) Any opinions and or advice? Here is a picture of my current rifle (Tango quick detach is on its way here).http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/taylorc1448/IMG00171-20100222-2143.jpg

Chameleox
02-22-10, 23:40
Ammo and training. Best accessories ever.
added: what will this "beast" be used for?

infiniti0505
02-22-10, 23:49
Ammo and training. Best accessories ever.
added: what will this "beast" be used for?

I absolutely agree. I have a good amount of ammo right now. I usually buy a couple boxes with each paycheck to stock up.
Mostly CQB style shooting.

Texpatriate
02-23-10, 00:00
Step 1: Remove sweet KAC rail from upper.

Step 2: Sell mediocre DPMS upper and BCG on Gun Broker.

Step 3: Purchase quality upper and BCG from LMT, BCM, DD, Noveske, etc....

Step 4: Install sweet KAC rail onto newly acquired upper, install rail covers to protect sweet KAC rail, and vfg of your choosing.

Step 5: Purchase quality mags, training, and mass quantities of ammo. Repeat.

Step 6: Decide based on training and experience acquired from step 5 what accessories you actually need and accessorize to your heart's content, but now with knowledge.

:D

Don't worry, I've been in your shoes.

infiniti0505
02-23-10, 00:07

Step 4: Install sweet KAC rail onto newly acquired upper, install rail covers to protect sweet KAC rail, and vfg of your choosing.

Step 6: Decide based on training and experience acquired from step 5 what accessories you actually need and accessorize to your heart's content, but now with knowledge.

:D

Don't worry, I've been in your shoes.

LOL you actually made me step back and think right there...Are the DPMS uppers really junk?

Belmont31R
02-23-10, 01:18
LOL you actually made me step back and think right there...Are the DPMS uppers really junk?

If all you do is plink and fondle it they are what you should get.

If you use the gun for duty, serious use, training, home defense, etc its a good idea to buy a better quality gun.

Companies like DPMS are not in the business of making a top quality product. They are there for the novice and ill advised consumer who doesn't know one brand from another.

John_Wayne777
02-23-10, 06:53

They are not made to the same standards that a BCM or a Colt or a Daniel Defense upper is, and the QC on them isn't as good...but if your gun runs, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. DPMS doesn't have the greatest reputation in the world, but even they manage to build guns that run every now and then. If yours functions, so be it. Shoot it until the wheels fall off. Invest in a spare bolt, preferably one that's been through magnetic particle inspection, that you can keep handy in case your bolt breaks on you.

If your gun doesn't run, (and can't be made to run with some simple fixes) it might be worth your while to see if you can unload it and upgrade to something like a BCM or a Daniel Defense that will run.

justin_247
02-23-10, 07:18

+1

I would say that before you swap out your entire upper receiver, just swap out your BCG with one from LMT, DD, or BCM and run the rifle hard to see how well it runs. From reading this site, I would say that for initial levels of training this will probably be adequate enough to improve your reliability.

Somewhere along the way I would swap out your commercial receiver extension with a mil-spec extension.

seebee
02-23-10, 22:54
+1

I would say that before you swap out your entire upper receiver, just swap out your BCG with one from LMT, DD, or BCM and run the rifle hard to see how well it runs. From reading this site, I would say that for initial levels of training this will probably be adequate enough to improve your reliability.

Somewhere along the way I would swap out your commercial receiver extension with a mil-spec extension.

sell rifle.
buy noveske lower.. or comparable..
buy 2 stage trigger and parts. install it yourself !!! learn about the rifle.
buy upper. if have tools --separate if not --complete upper..
buy magpul stock and good quality parts for stock.. mil spec tube
make sure everything is for 556 and not 223only!!!!!!
get aimpoint or trijicon or that other expensive sight..eotech..
buy tons of ammo,,,, shoot shoot and maybe one day you'll hit something,
enjoy.

infiniti0505
02-24-10, 20:58
sell rifle.
enjoy.

OK OK since I went totally in the wrong direction without even knowing it, this is what I should get? Noveske lower, stage 2 trigger, Noveske upper, replace the stock and parts, milspec tube..... sounds expensive (which I dont mind) I guess I will have to either sell or trade my Norinco to support this build. What other lowers and uppers in your guys opinion are decent?

kerank
02-24-10, 21:12
In case you haven't found it yet...the chart. Stay middle to the left half (from what I've read - no real extensive personal experience), and should be fine.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&gid=5

justin_247
02-25-10, 04:39
sell rifle.
enjoy.

I think this is going overboard. I would say that the first thing that he needs to do is buy a good BCG and then go out and shoot the rifle to see how well it shoots / how well it suits his purposes. If it shoots well, I say move on to some training. As time progresses and money accumulates, he can get a good upper receiver from BCM or DD (not necessarily an expensive Noveske one, despite the fact that it's an amazing upper) and upgrade to a good buffer tube with a decent parts kit in his lower.

seebee
02-25-10, 09:15
I think this is going overboard. I would say that the first thing that he needs to do is buy a good BCG and then go out and shoot the rifle to see how well it shoots / how well it suits his purposes. If it shoots well, I say move on to some training. As time progresses and money accumulates, he can get a good upper receiver from BCM or DD (not necessarily an expensive Noveske one, despite the fact that it's an amazing upper) and upgrade to a good buffer tube with a decent parts kit in his lower.

yeah sorry it is... didn't really mean about hittin stuff either...

great cost effective rifle
stag lower 130 bucks
rra 2 stage trigger with hogue grip 180 bucks.. normal triger 90bucks with guts
stag upper 500 bucks or so..
stock kit 50 bucks.. sight kit from magpul 100 bucks. magpul mag. 13bucks.
you can find them cheaper(quality) but I will only sacrafice so much for good quality..
that's what I pretty much did. except magpul stock 100 bucks. fancy tube and 3 springs. misc parts..130 bucks.. ooops. but it's what I wanted so oh well. I have realized it's easy to dump money on an ar.. but this is the rifle that I wanted the way I want it. and that's what it boils down to. what do you want and what are you willing to spend on it. I mean I want an acog scope but don't have 1200 bucks to blow on a fine piece of glass. for now I'll deal with open sights from magpul. or get the barska 100buck sight I really don't know yet. I've got about 900 or so into mine.
but If i was to buy a complete rifle and put what I wanted on it I would have spent about 1500 bucks and have a lot of extra parts. It's a tough call. but in the long run extremely glad with every option I choose. I wanted to play with the 3 recoil springs to answer some of my and friends myths and questions.
1-stock(stag) 2-extra soft(wolff) 3-extra strong(david tubb). we'll see what happens. i posted a thread about it here earlier but no-one seemed to care. oh well. hope this helped ya... good luck

Luke_Y
02-25-10, 13:40
A helpful place to start HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376)