PDA

View Full Version : That annoying guy

rhewitt
02-23-10, 03:34
So, I go to the gold’s gym here in Vegas about every day well I try to go every day. But on this day I had all my gear with me that I usually carry on a daily bases. Well I bent down to pick up my gym bag and my shirt came up a little on the hip showing the mag well of my 1911. I didn’t feel my shirt rise or notice it when I bent over, but when I came to I noticed that the guy at the counter eyes where huge. He didn’t say anything but you could tell he was disturbed on what he was seeing. Well needless to say I didn’t think anything of it so I went to working out like I usually do. Well about an hour into my work out the counter guy walks up to me and ask if I am LEO. I proceed to tell him what I do and what not, still not thinking about earlier. Then Finally, He asks about my pistol. At this point I know now why his eyes where huge at the counter. He is asking all these weird questions like if I have ever killed anyone or have I ever tried to kill anyone with it. Questions like that. I try to pacify him and not give allot of info but give enough where he will leave me alone. He finally leaves and goes on with his job. I thought this is done like he got all his questions answered. So I came back in the next day to work out and he is staring at me like I just kick his dog and shot his mom. I know what he is looking for and he knows I am watching him look for it. But I keep going into the locker room so I can change and get ready to work out. I didn’t realize this dude followed me into the locker room and is more less watching me get undressed. I can handle allot but, man this guy is getting on my nervous. I tried to be the bigger guy and finished what I was doing and got out the floor to do my business. Well he follows shortly after that and walks right up to me and ask what I did with it. At this point my blood is boiling but I keep my calm and ask what he is talking about? He then said that my cap and my eyes got huge and I started smirking and then I ask again what you are talking about. Man you guys should have been there, this guy looks around to see if anyone is listening to us and ask me again if I have my clack clack. I started to laugh so hard I about pissed myself. Well needless to say He got mad at me and walks away. I don’t’ know what tomorrow will hold but I might take a couple of days off to let this guy mind wonder a little bit. I don’t know? Most of the time I can handle allot of shit but when it comes to my people skills there not that great. What would you all do with this guy?

Volucris
02-23-10, 03:43
Ignore him and if he pressures you just say: "Look, hypothetically speaking, if you were carrying a firearm for self defense you would not appreciate others making a scene about it and potentially compromising your own safety. This is legal and I have decided to use my right to do so in order to keep myself protected from not which I intend to encounter, but for what I encounter that I did not intend to."

Using logic is like slapping some people in the face with a sledge hammer.

bobvila
02-23-10, 04:11
You should apologize for making him concerned, explain that you have a permit to carry a gun and show it to him.

Just from reading this thread I do not think you are mature enough to own a gun. Would hate to see what would happen when you are not concealing a handgun and someone really annoys you.

rhewitt
02-23-10, 04:28
You should apologize for making him concerned, explain that you have a permit to carry a gun and show it to him.

Just from reading this thread I do not think you are mature enough to own a gun. Would hate to see what would happen when you are not concealing a handgun and someone really annoys you.

Well the good part about this is that you have right to that Opinion, thanks for exercising it. Though mine is if you don't have any way of helping then don't give your two cents. I did't ask for the father son talk. I just ask on what some others would do? Thats all nothing more.

bobvila
02-23-10, 04:36
Actually I did, you just choose not to read it. You came here looking for acceptance of your irresponsibility, and immaturity of the situation and looking for more ways to bother the guy. Again you should not own a gun.

rhewitt
02-23-10, 04:56
Dude I am not going to say sorry for caring a gun. I will how ever be more careful when I bend over to pick shit up next time. But the question still stands do I tell him that I don't want to be his friend because I don't want to talk about my CLACK CLACK? Also man I am not here to start a pissing match. I just don't feel I should have to apologize for caring.

Business_Casual
02-23-10, 06:59
Carry a concealed weapon - if it were concealed you wouldn't have had the problem. Therefore the situation is of your making, so either find another gym or suck it up. In the future, make sure that what you are doing, regardless, doesn't expose or compromise your concealed weapon.

M_P

Rider79
02-23-10, 07:21
Laughing because the guy is an idiot doesn't mean you shouldn't own a gun. There are alot of ****tards in this town and it sounds like this gym employee is one of them. Which Golds is it? I used to go to the one in Summerlin. I cancelled my membership 3 years after my contract ran out and they tried to send me to collections. **** Golds, I go to 24 hr. now. There's morons there too, like everywhere in this town.

DocHolliday01
02-23-10, 07:49

Why the **** should he apologize for carrying a gun?

jwfuhrman
02-23-10, 07:59
no shit, why in the hell would you ever apologize for carrying? his shirt rode up and the mag well showed, who cares. Big deal.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-23-10, 08:02
Offer to take him shooting.

Artos
02-23-10, 08:40
I like the direction this is going...can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

YVK
02-23-10, 08:58
I'd try to "troubleshoot" they guy and see if he is a true moron, or uneducated dude who was raised in hoplophobic environment. Make it humorous, ask him where his CLACK CLACK is. If you think he is a moron, I wouldn't take him shooting and I would look for another gym. Also, if he is in fact a moron, you should assume that he shared his little secret with his buddies.

I wouldn't apologize for anything, as it is an admission of non-existing guilt. I wouldn't blame the dude for the situation though, it is your 100% your fault. Concealed means concealed.

Zhurdan
02-23-10, 09:15
I'd try to "troubleshoot" they guy and see if he is a true moron, or uneducated dude who was raised in hoplophobic environment. Make it humorous, ask him where his CLACK CLACK is. If you think he is a moron, I wouldn't take him shooting and I would look for another gym. Also, if he is in fact a moron, you should assume that he shared his little secret with his buddies.

I wouldn't apologize for anything, as it is an admission of non-existing guilt. I wouldn't blame the dude for the situation though, it is your 100% your fault. Concealed means concealed.

DING!! Bolded for importance. I wouldn't be locking my gun up in a gym locker room knowing that someone knows it's there and you won't be around it for who knows how long. Find a new gym.

Oh... and yes indeed, as others have pointed out, it wouldn't even be an issue if you ALWAYS make sure that concealed means concealed. (yes, I've been caught in the "act" before. A little old grannie cashier at Wal-mart walked up right behind me trying to get by and got a little fresh with her hands and put her hand right on my gun. She just smiled and said something cute and moved on. I'm sure it would have been far different if it would have been a 20-something cashier.) It happens, but it's still our responsibility to ensure that it doesn't happen very often or even at all.

RogerinTPA
02-23-10, 09:17
This is obviously a gay come on.:D

ST911
02-23-10, 09:32
What would you all do with this guy?

I would be more careful with my concealment.

If the problem doesn't take care of itself in a day or two, I would present my CCW and an explanation of my status to him or his manager, to ensure that they understand I'm a law abiding citizen.

I'd express regret for any misunderstanding or potential problem I may have caused because of my indiscretion, and give assurances by word or behavior that it's been corrected.

I'd take measures to ensure that my gun was protected from theft, preferably remaining on or near me, when I was in the gym now that the employee and his cronies know about it. Lots of good folks go to gyms. Looks of knuckleheads, too.

This is a problem of your creation. Look inward first.

HKUSP.40
02-23-10, 09:39
DING!! Bolded for importance. I wouldn't be locking my gun up in a gym locker room knowing that someone knows it's there and you won't be around it for who knows how long. Find a new gym.

Agreed, and I would never lock up my gun in a gym locker room anyway. If I HAD to take it to the gym I would take my chances with leaving it in my vehicle somewhere hidden. I wouldn't go to the extreme of finding a new gym (you're probably locked into a contract at Golds right?) unless things continue to become more uncomfortable with him. If it gets to that point I would tell him to stop or you are going to talk to his manager about it. Just say "hey man, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression but I am here to just work out and keep to myself while I do it so if you don't mind, please let me do just that." If he still bugs you then talk to his manager and tell them exactly what happened. Odds are if the guy is that nutty the manager knows about it already.

Irish
02-23-10, 09:39
You also live in a state where it's legal to open carry. Nothing you've done with your clack clack has broken the law.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-23-10, 09:43
(yes, I've been caught in the "act" before. A little old grannie cashier at Wal-mart walked up right behind me trying to get by and got a little fresh with her hands and put her hand right on my gun. She just smiled and said something cute and moved on. I'm sure it would have been far different if it would have been a 20-something cashier.)

Yes, if it had been a younger chashier who got fresh, you would have been the one saying something cute and smiling.

"Why yes, those are my love handles of steel..."

I'm going on the assumption you weren't wearing your Smart Carry that day...

ADD:

Can we stop with the clack-clack? Have you guys worn out vee-jay-jay and are looking for a new annoying word?

Zhurdan
02-23-10, 09:45
Yes, if it had been a younger chashier who got fresh, you would have been the one saying something cute and smiling.

"Why yes, those are my love handles of steel..."

I'm going on the assumption you weren't wearing your Smart Carry that day...

ADD:

Can we stop with the clack-clack? Have you guys worn out vee-jay-jay and are looking for a new annoying word?

Just so you know... you owe me a new keyboard and a box of tissue as I just blew hot coffee out my nose! :D

VooDoo6Actual
02-23-10, 09:59
rhewitt writes:

"I proceed to tell him what I do and what not"

In reading your question I'm not clear if your a LEO or ?

imo,

Get your CCW.

I have a Nevada CCW.

I carry in Nevada w/ no problems whatsoever.

I went throught the process so that I could AVOID these issues.

While you do have the right to defend yourself, however you do not inately have the right to carry in public unless your duely charged as a LEO etc.

He or the public @ large do not know whom or what you do or qualifications are.

With the CCW cred they can determine per State requirements that you meet their criteria for granting you w/ the legal right to carry in public.

I spent something like 8 hours about $200.00 to have that piece of mind and ability to avoid issues like this.

Good luck in resolving your question.

YMMV...

ToddG
02-23-10, 10:08
This is a problem of your creation. Look inward first.

This.

A CCW permit is not a license to flash your gun, nor does it entitle you to carry on private property should the property owner choose otherwise. As many others have already pointed out, the failure here was two-fold:

Failure to conceal the pistol properly in the first place.
Failure to deal with the problem humbly and professionally before it got out of hand.

The most telling comment for me was:

I might take a couple of days off to let this guy mind wonder a little bit.

This sounds like someone who is having fun watching a problem escalate. When it escalates to the point where his gym membership is revoked, he's going to be pissed.

JonnyVain
02-23-10, 10:12

Lol what

I would just show him my CCW license. If it continues to be a problem, speak to management. The guy shouldn't be harassing you like that. Speaking to management may end with a 'no firearms' sign being hung on the door, though.

My girlfriend's friend is a boarder patrol officer. He open carries all the time and I've never heard of him getting any grief for it.

Irish
02-23-10, 10:17
Get your CCW.

I have a Nevada CCW.

I carry in Nevada w/ no problems whatsoever.

While you do have the right to defend yourself, however you do not inately have the right to carry in public unless your duely charged as a LEO etc.

He or the public @ large do not know whom or what you do or qualifications are.

With the CCW cred they can determine per State requirements that you meet their criteria for granting you w/ the legal right to carry in public.

I spent something like 8 hours about $200.00 to have that piece of mind and ability to avoid issues like this.

Good luck in resolving your question.

YMMV...

With all due respect, you're wrong, and you're disseminating false information. In Nevada you can legally open carry a firearm without any sort of permit, tax or permission from the state.

JonnyVain
02-23-10, 10:22
This.

A CCW permit is not a license to flash your gun, nor does it entitle you to carry on private property should the property owner choose otherwise. As many others have already pointed out, the failure here was two-fold:

Failure to conceal the pistol properly in the first place.
Failure to deal with the problem humbly and professionally before it got out of hand.

The most telling comment for me was:

This sounds like someone who is having fun watching a problem escalate. When it escalates to the point where his gym membership is revoked, he's going to be pissed.

I think you misunderstood. He wants to stay out of the gym to let the guy's mind WANDER (OP has very bad writing skills :)), meaning, he hopes the guy will forget about the situation.

OP, I think if you wrote a little better there wouldn't be as much argument here.

lethal dose
02-23-10, 10:23
I would not apologize for carrying the weapon, only for exposing it (albeit an accident). Explain to him that it is, in fact, legal and that you are simply practicing your legal rights. It is like having a driver's license... it allows you to legally drive, but it does not, however, allow you to speed. Likewise, you know that you shouldn't expose your firearm. For the simple purpose of being a gentleman, apologize for alarming him, offer to show him your license, and please... be more careful when concealing. I understand your situation and also understand your frustration... however, the situation needs to be handled in a mature fashion, as most people who are undereducated on topics of the 2nd amendment and it's applicable laws will tend to jump to conclusions and falsely form negative opinions on the subject. No lecture, here. Be more careful and enjoy your rights, bro.

VooDoo6Actual
02-23-10, 10:28
For the overly critical types, WE and I'm obviously talking about CCW.

NOT open carry.

MarshallDodge
02-23-10, 10:30

I was thinking the same thing. Is the guy a complete dork or could you spend an hour with him at the range showing him the ropes?

Not trying to come down on you but I kind of get the idea that somehow you feel that owning a gun and carrying it makes you better than this guy.

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 11:47

This is a really good answer. I do this all the time to settle these freak outs. Mine don't come from carrying, they come from the fact that I live in a liberal town that is made up of like 7,000 of "those guys". I've actually started to think about ways to use the "organic food", "sustainability" trends as ways to introduce a young generation of kids to the sport of hunting. Believe it or not it's working.

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 12:03
I've read through this thread from start to finish and I realize now that I don't completely understand the depths of the mentality a lot of you put into CCW. This thread has made me respect the responsibility a lot of you place into it, and I may cite it from time to time with some of the people that argue with me all the time about firearms.

I do think however that the OP deserves more criticism for locking his gun in a gym locker then he does for having a slip up with his CC. Why bring the gun into the gym in the first place?

In response to the OP, I understand "that guy", I deal with him every single day he just has a million and one faces. The best thing you can do with "that guy" is attempt to dispel the myths they have built up around firearms. Understand that most of these people have been raised by the Nanny State, and Nanny Media, with over sheltered parents that literally kept anything with hard edges away from their children their entire life. To them a firearm is a nuclear bomb that will explode and kill everyone in a ten mile radius simply by looking at it.

I once had a person confess that they had literal nightmares about coming over to my house prior to a dinner party because the person that she came with had gone shooting with me once.

khc3
02-23-10, 12:09
I do think however that the OP deserves more criticism for locking his gun in a gym locker then he does for having a slip up with his CC. Why bring the gun into the gym in the first place?

In all due respect, didn't some guy shoot up a gym last year?

Why would a gym necessarily be any safer than an office or department store?

Now that he has been "compromised," though, I would agree that he might need to rethink locking it up at that same gym.

khc3
02-23-10, 12:16
I once had a person confess that they had literal nightmares about coming over to my house prior to a dinner party because the person that she came with had gone shooting with me once.

I took some English friends to the range once. The guy loved it, had a blast. His girlfriend we let shoot a MKII .22, didn't pressure her or anything, but after about half a magazine she literally started shaking and seemed like she was having a breakdown.

It was quite weird.

Zhurdan
02-23-10, 12:19
I've read through this thread from start to finish and I realize now that I don't completely understand the depths of the mentality a lot of you put into CCW. This thread has made me respect the responsibility a lot of you place into it, and I may cite it from time to time with some of the people that argue with me all the time about firearms.

Remember THIS? (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537004,00.html) There's areas of risk we need to account for, but the loss of a weapon to someone who's more interested in if you've killed anyone scares me a bit more than trying to find an exit in the event of a shooting at the gym.

Carrying a gun is a serious part of life if someone chooses to do so, but thinking about where you go and when is equally important. If the gym is in a place where it's that freaking crazy, perhaps finding a new gym is worth the hassle. Personally, I bolted a keypad lock box to the floor of my Jeep and have a cable lock box in my truck for when I need to leave my pistol in the vehicle.

As far as the seriousness of carrying, I buy all my cloths a size to big and in "tall" so that I'm covered at any time (IWB).

ST911
02-23-10, 12:21
Why bring the gun into the gym in the first place?

Or hospitals, schools, malls, or church, too?

(Dude, seriously?)

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 15:26
In all due respect, didn't some guy shoot up a gym last year?

Why would a gym necessarily be any safer than an office or department store?

Now that he has been "compromised," though, I would agree that he might need to rethink locking it up at that same gym.

I'm thinking more about this:

Guy comes into gym. Your in gym shorts and a tank top. Your bag is beside you on the ground with your locker key in it. Guy enters gym with gun. You, stop working out, grab your bag, go to the locker, unlock it. get your gun then respond??? Seems like a lot of factors.

I guess you could have the gun in your bag, and take it with you from station to station.

Look I'm not a CC guy, you all have a science to this, and a philosophy. You all have probably figured out how to carry a gun while your naked in a sauna, or swimming laps in a pool for all I know...;)

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 15:28
Or hospitals, schools, malls, or church, too?

(Dude, seriously?)

read my above post. Yea SERIOUSLY! I swear there are people on here that latch onto anything regarding CCW and use it as an opportunity to freak out on anyone that questions even an iota of information. Did you read my entire post? What about my above post?

I'm sure someone was been shot in a swimming pool before in the last 50 years. Does this mean you carry a gun in your speedo?

HD1911
02-23-10, 15:44
Actually I did, you just choose not to read it. You came here looking for acceptance of your irresponsibility, and immaturity of the situation and looking for more ways to bother the guy. Again you should not own a gun.

WTF are u talking about?

Rider79
02-23-10, 16:08
I remember being given a number to call when I first took my CCW class if something like this happened (inadvertently exposing your weapon) the idea being that you could head a situation off at the pass by calling the CCW detail if someone saw your gun at the grocery store and called the cops. No idea if it's ever used or if it works though. I'll amend what I said earlier. The OP did cause this by exposing his weapon and it probably could have been nipped in the bud by a better choice of words the first time around dealing with the guy. But, as I said before, there are alot of ****tards in this town and it seems like this guy is one of them. It may not have mattered what the OP said to him. Time to find a new gym.

QuietShootr
02-23-10, 18:05
I took some English friends to the range once. The guy loved it, had a blast. His girlfriend we let shoot a MKII .22, didn't pressure her or anything, but after about half a magazine she literally started shaking and seemed like she was having a breakdown.

It was quite weird.

I have a friend who is hosting a German exchange student right now (17, 6' long-blonde-hair Valkyrie, but that's another story) who broke down and BAWLED like a baby when we took her to her first gun show...and I quote, "It's just so awful...people don't trust each other and they think they have to have guns all the time."

A dog raised in a cage often does not want to come out.

ZDL
02-23-10, 18:14

ToddG
02-23-10, 18:15
And ZDL knows a thing or fifty about gay flirting...

ZDL
02-23-10, 18:21

ToddG
02-23-10, 18:29
Learned from the best, Todd. :cool:

I still have that pic I took of the two of you during SHOT in Orlando:

http://www.mewithsomeonefamous.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/richard-simmons_chip.jpg

Irish
02-23-10, 18:30
I still have that pic I took of the two of you during SHOT in Orlando:

http://www.mewithsomeonefamous.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/richard-simmons_chip.jpg

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Makes my rental Smart car look super manly ZDL!!!

thopkins22
02-23-10, 18:31
There's a lot of straight hate in that picture.:p

Jitterbug
02-23-10, 18:31
I was going to post something until I saw that photo...never mind.

ZDL
02-23-10, 18:34

khc3
02-23-10, 19:22
I have a friend who is hosting a German exchange student right now (17, 6' long-blonde-hair Valkyrie, but that's another story) who broke down and BAWLED like a baby when we took her to her first gun show...and I quote, "It's just so awful...people don't trust each other and they think they have to have guns all the time."

A dog raised in a cage often does not want to come out.

It is strange.

This girl hadn't really shown any great reluctance about giving it a try, wasn't really "anti-gun" except to say gun ownership was, obviously, quite foreign to her.

It was almost as if she some kind of allergic reaction to touching the gun.

gogetal3
02-23-10, 19:34

That's what I would do. Anyone I deem worthy of spending my free time with I always offer. But if this guy is a ****tard then I'd tell him quite bluntly: Piss off. If he kept bothering me I formally complain to a manager.

thopkins22
02-23-10, 19:37
I'm all for getting people shooting...but do you really want to take a guy you don't know and who uses the phrase "clack clack" in reference to what is obviously a gat?:D

LMT42
02-23-10, 20:20
You allot time for exercising at the gym. You should have handled the situation a lot differently.

bobvila
02-23-10, 20:46
Im sure the guy used "clack clack" so only you would know what he was talking about, Im sure he thought it was better than other people hearing about a gun in the gym.

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 21:05
It is strange.

This girl hadn't really shown any great reluctance about giving it a try, wasn't really "anti-gun" except to say gun ownership was, obviously, quite foreign to her.

It was almost as if she some kind of allergic reaction to touching the gun.

I've noticed a psychological reaction at times to shooting from people that are not raised around it at all. Both times it was a woman. One girl described it as emotionally overwhelming when she considered all of her senses together. The noise, the recoil, the smell of the powder. She sat the rest of the day out. But since then she has gone shooting more and more with her boyfriend.

m4fun
02-23-10, 22:10
I too was going to reply, but after the Richard Simmons picture, i feel a bit soiled and have to take a shower. Must clean!

10MMGary
02-24-10, 08:40
I can't believe that someone hasn't already mentioned the fact that you messed up big time by bending over in a gym with men present. You bend at the knees never at the hips, that is covered in workout 101 :p .